• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Preseason |OT| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Rasheed Wallace

Status
Not open for further replies.
This really hurts both teams. Harden is perfect as the spark plug off the bench, not as the lead dog. Plus, now that they only have two scorers, they're easier to defend, and the team is going to struggle mightily when one (or both) is on the bench. And if there's an injury...

Westbrook will be passing more now.

Flash

People are so damn fixated on Martin. I'll be shocked if he's on the team after the trade deadline. His role will be limited.

More of the offensive load will fall on Ibaka, Maynor, Jackson, and PJ3.

Excited to see what Lamb can do. Hell of a talent.

Then they essentially traded a proven all-star for a couple of unknown projects (Lamb and picks). Harden was supposed to be their Ginobili-type player and he seemed more than willing to embrace that type of role.

Westbrook will be passing more now.

kobe.gif

Canuck76

Banned
People are so damn fixated on Martin. I'll be shocked if he's on the team after the trade deadline. His role will be limited.

More of the offensive load will fall on Ibaka, Maynor, Jackson, and PJ3.

Excited to see what Lamb can do. Hell of a talent.

Or Thabo even. I think he's pretty underrated, and he can probably step up a bit more and help carry the load.

Your still missing your 3rd best player tho

Also Bestbrook will once again be a huge reason this team goes anywhere.

KingGondo

Banned
If they could run an offense

It takes two to tango. Russel ain't the only one that holds the ball for the majority of shot clock
The starting lineup is also offensively deficient if KD and YNB aren't hitting their shots.

Hopefully Ibaka continues to develop. His jumper is already a nice weapon, and he should get more opportunities inside now that he'll be our smallball center a lot of the time.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8...ay-true-their-philosophy-trading-james-harden

The Thunder maintain a philosophy that the individual sacrifices for the whole. In this case, that would have meant Harden agreeing to accept less than the maximum amount for a four-year extension, which was $60 million. Reportedly the Thunder's final offer was in the range of $55 million for four years.

Over the past few days, as extension talks reached a climax ahead of the Oct. 31 deadline, sources said, Thunder GM Sam Presti informed Harden that if he was not willing to accept a franchise-favorable contract, such as the kind that Serge Ibaka accepted recently, after other Thunder players had done likewise, then Harden would be traded. This was made clear in discussions with Harden and his agent Rob Pelinka, sources said.

During the contract talks that have been ongoing since July, Presti provided a reference point -- some might call it a threat ... regarding the discussions: the Jeff Green negotiations from a couple of seasons ago. That's when the Thunder were unable to get a contract extension done with the popular forward and traded him, in a surprising move, to get assets and prevent Green from getting to free agency the following summer. Harden would've been headed for the same situation if he had not agreed to an extension by Wednesday.

The Thunder, it was said during the talks, cannot afford to let players get to free agency, with the additional cost and risk involved. From the player's perspective, this is rigid. From Presti's perspective, it was the way to do business in a franchise with more limited resources than rivals and in a market where free agents are often overpaid.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Simmons tweeted that the Thunder made $30 million in profit last year. I don't think they are as financially limited as they like to say.

Flash

lol getting stingy over an 5 extra million is stupid, they should have just gave it to him.

Harden sacrifices a lot by willing to be a 6th man... a lot of young stars with his kind of potential would never want to come off the bench.

ORL got Afflalo, Harrington, some picks and pack of Yu Gi Oh cards for the best Center in the league.

Mitch is waking up, the taste of Scotch coats his mouth, different shades of lipstick all over his neck. A pile of unknown women at the foot of his bed and he's wondering how he's going to top it tonight.

SamuraiX-

I just realized K-Mart will be coming off the bench in OKC.

I always felt like he was a better player when he wasn't starting. If Maynor is back and healthy, this make work out just find for the Thunder.

ORL got Afflalo, Harrington, some picks and pack of Yu Gi Oh cards for the best Center in the league.

Mitch is waking up, the taste of Scotch coats his mouth, different shades of lipstick all over his neck. A pile of unknown women at the foot of his bed and he's wondering how he's going to top it tonight.

But they did get a blue eyes dragon in that pack.

Makes it all worth it

Omega

Banned
After the Finals I think Harden lost a lot a value. Dude absolutely no-showed the entire Finals so Thunder probably figured he wasn't as good as they thought.

Sucks for Harden.

Lamb gets put into a good situation and doesn't have to put up with perennial 15 win teams now. While not much of a step up, at least he gets a better coach too.

After the Finals I think Harden lost a lot a value. Dude absolutely no-showed the entire Finals so Thunder probably figured he wasn't as good as they thought.

Sucks for Harden.

Lamb gets put into a good situation and doesn't have to put up with perennial 15 win teams now. While not much of a step up, at least he gets a better coach too.

I agree

Cavs should've traded LeBron after the 2007 finals

Just saw the Harden news

I expected him to be traded at some point, just not THIS early. I mean christ they took one shot at the title and that's it? Also Lakers now have no one to challenge them before the finals

Sucks Gondo, all you got back was Lamb? I guess you got Martin as well but come on

Just saw the Harden news

I expected him to be traded at some point, just not THIS early. I mean christ they took one shot at the title and that's it? Also Lakers now have no one to challenge them before the finals

Sucks Gondo, all you got back was Lamb? I guess you got Martin as well but come on
Two first round picks and a second rounder. They have a Toronto pick which could be very good also.

Better than what some teams have gotten back for better players.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I thought the picks OKC got were heavily protected, or did I get bad info?

Raptors pick is 1-3 and 15-30 protected. Mavericks pick is top-20 protected through 2017.

Toronto had the 8th pick last year, and they got a lot better, so I don't think that pick will be that awesome.

I guess that cements lakers vs heat finals unless spurs and celtics pull off an upset. Man why didn't OKC just give up the 5 mill? I mean damn, did they expect him to be the only one of the big 3 to take a pay cut? I can't blame harden for wanting to get paid(the most).

I mean, shit I know he ghosted in the finals but without him the thunder wouldn't have even made the finals. Dude was executing the spurs.

SamuraiX-

The Dallas Mavericks announced today that they have requested waivers on forward/center Melvin Ely and forward Chris Douglas-Roberts. Both Ely and Douglas-Roberts signed with the Mavericks on Oct. 27.

smh

Smokey

Do people realize Martin is used to getting like 15 shots a game , is Eric Gordon bad when it comes to health and shot like 40% from the field last year? He's averaging like 42% from the field over his last 3 seasons.

There's zero shot they can beat Miami with this deal. So they basically conceded the season. There was hope that after experiencing the finals that James could match his regular season numbers with another shot, along with a healthy Maynor and PJIII maybe making up the difference, but there's zero shot that Lamb will be able to do much of anything against the Heat as a rookie in that setting, and it's hard to anticipate just how much worse Martin will be in comparison to James.

Now future wise this move could pay off, but again, this season won't end well imo.

As for the Rockets...still have no idea what their plan is. Lin, Harden, Asik...and if they have another max to give out with the free agent market looking as bad as it does...best case scenario...Aldridge?

Lin, Harden, Parsons, Aldridge, Asik.

Yea they are going to middling for like a decade. Sorry Smokey.

Naw if they got LMA in this scenario they would be straight. Middling means where they have been the past few years... The 9th-10th spot in the west.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I mean, shit I know he ghosted in the finals but without him the thunder wouldn't have even made the finals. Dude was executing the spurs.
Yeah, I don't know why so many people are forgetting this shit. He stunk it up big time on the grandest stage, sure, but that squad would have never been on that stage in the first god damn place without him. Now they have Martin to rely on... yeah.

What other two guard or front court mate can the Thunder even get their hands on this year that produces like Harden did? I can't think of any...

The Thunder will be a 4'th seed at worst and a 3'rd seed at best in my opinion. A 5'th seed if Durant/Westbrick get's injured for a length of time (but they never get injured, so...).

Realistically, the Spurs, the Lakers, and the Clippers are all better teams than the Thunder now. Possibly the Nuggets as well.

4th or 5th seed seems about right.

Omega

Banned
I agree

Cavs should've traded LeBron after the 2007 finals

wasn't aware i said they should have traded Harden.

not to mention dude was a third option behind two all-stars while lebron was the first, second, third, fourth and fifth option on a team that wasn't even 8th seed good without him. why bring him up?

nevermind, it's GAF. LeBron or the Knicks have to be brought up at all times.

random question

how do you call for a teammate to set a screen/pick for you in 2k10(PC)? Whenever I select the quick screen option nothing happens. I just end up using the quick pick and roll option and I have to wait on my center to set the screen.

OKC will adjust to losing Harden and be fine in the regular season.

His loss will hurt them in the playoffs though.

Even if Lamb proves to be a very good scorer this year I doubt that he will be able to keep his composure in the playoffs......

Being cheap will screw the Thunder over the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom