• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Preseason |OT| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Rasheed Wallace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpwerx

Miami waived Temple today.

The World Champion NBA Champions of the World's roster is now:

Chalmers/Cole
Wade/Allen/Miller/Harris
James/Lewis/Jones
Battier/Haslem
Bosh/Harrellson/Anthony/Pittman

The champs have only gotten better. We swapped out Juwan, Curry and Turiaf for Allen, Lewis and Jorts. I'd say that's an improvement. The bench is impetuous. The defense is impregnable. This team is ferocious. Hey rest of the league, you still trying? PEACE.

ffs, its bad enough that steam is back but do we really have to deal with pimp's incessant douchebaggery?
there was a time when this was pleasant and funny community to read.

Pimpwerx

ffs, its bad enough that steam is back but do we really have to deal with pimp's incessant douchebaggery?
there was a time when this was pleasant and funny community to read.

I'm just here to share the good word with you, my brother. GodRiley is good, all the time. Just open your heart and let him in. He's got a plan for you. He's got a plan for me. He's got a plan for banner 3. Hallelujah! PEACE.

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan
More TV dominos fall: AT&T U-verse strikes deal w/ Time Warner to show Lakers for Southern Calif. subscribers. Still no DirecTV, Dish, Cox.

Brighthouse, Charter, AT&T, and Verizon on board, now. All that's left really are those 3 listed.

Expect them to fall in line.

Faried and McGee for Gortat.

Who says no? The Nuggets get a frontcourt player who knows that it's legal to pass, catch, make layups, and play defense while the Suns get two young, athletic big men with good raw stats.

KingJ2002

Yes... my friend just told me the news that att completed the deal... beautiful thing is we dont have to pay a premium for it!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Who says no? The Nuggets get a frontcourt player who knows that it's legal to pass, catch, make layups, and play defense while the Suns get two young, athletic big men with good raw stats.
Ugh ugly all around

KingJ2002

Chalmers/Cole
Wade/Allen/Miller/Harris
James/Lewis/Jones
Battier/Haslem

The champs have only gotten better. We swapped out Juwan, Curry and Turiaf for Allen, Lewis and Jorts. I'd say that's an improvement. The bench is impetuous. The defense is impregnable. This team is ferocious. Hey rest of the league, you still trying? PEACE.

you're weak at the point and the 4... questionable at the 5... a lot of bums on your squad. pray lebron doesn't get hurt.

Canuck76

Banned

Chalmers/Cole
Wade/Allen/Miller/Harris
James/Lewis/Jones
Battier/Haslem

This team won't make it to the ECF much less the finals.

Too much squarely on Lebron. And why try now? He's validated the "King" moniker.

Just let that Nike money pile up

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Brighthouse, Charter, AT&T, and Verizon on board, now. All that's left really are those 3 listed.

Expect them to fall in line.
I already purchased league pass so they can all go suck a fuck or EAD. Whichever they deem more suitable.

I'll consider this years purchase as my farewell present to David Stern. God knows he needs the money.

Too much squarely on Lebron. And why try now? He's validated the "King" moniker.

Hahahahahhaahhahahahahhahah

The Eastern Conference is shithouse except for the CzzZz. I'm pretty sure the Heat are gonna be alright.

linsivvi

Gallinari was injured a lot last year and Nene suffered severely from got paid until the Nuggets traded him which wasn't predicted by many.

Like the other teams didn't have key players getting hurt or underperformed all season. Only stat heads would seriously think the Nuggets could be a #2 seed.

but but Gondo said he'd take a pay cut to play with his frieeeends.

Gondo is delusional. He's definitely worth a max deal and you can argue that he's worth even more than that to the Thunder because they won't be able to replace him.

It boggles my mind that they would give Ibaka $50M without thinking ahead. If they are not willing to give Harden a max deal to keep him, they shouldn't have extended Ibaka in the first place. Ibaka is replaceable, Harden isn't.

giri

Shut up simmons.

I already purchased league pass so they can all go suck a fuck or EAD. Whichever they deem more suitable.

I'll consider this years purchase as my farewell present to David Stern. God knows he needs the money.

Welcome to localised blackouts so you still need your local broadcaster.

Like the other teams didn't have key players getting hurt or underperformed all season. Only stat heads would seriously think the Nuggets could be a #2 seed.

Those were the #2 and #3 players on their team. They finished 3 games out of the 3rd seed despite those guys underperforming a good bit compared to the previous year and despite miracle health from the Lakers (though in a perfect health world, the Nuggets may have finished behind the Grizzlies). The Spurs managed to finish well ahead of them, but most models didn't see Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard becoming really good in 2012 or Boris Diaw and Steven Jackson having their careers revived in 2012 while Tony Parker was an MVP candidate since no one did.

linsivvi

For the last time your money goes to the league directly or indirectly as long as you pay to watch. And Stern earns a salary, he doesn't own shit. The money goes to the owners and players.

Your rationale for hating the league pass is strange.

linsivvi

Those were the #2 and #3 players on their team. They finished 3 games out of the 3rd seed despite those guys underperforming a good bit compared to the previous year and despite miracle health from the Lakers (though in a perfect health world, the Nuggets may have finished behind the Grizzlies). The Spurs managed to finish well ahead of them, but most models didn't see Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard becoming really good in 2012 or Boris Diaw and Steven Jackson having their careers revived in 2012 while Tony Parker was an MVP candidate since no one did.

3rd seed? LOLlinger predicted #2 seed, so don't move the goal post. They were 9 games behind OKC while playing only 66 games. Their record wasn't even good enough to get homecourt in the East. Come on now.

In fact, they would be the #6 seed in the East too!

3rd seed? LOLlinger predicted #2 seed, so don't move the goal post. They were 9 games behind OKC while playing only 66 games. Their record wasn't even good enough to get homecourt in the East. Come on now.

In fact, they would be the #6 seed in the East too!

He predicted the Nuggets to finish behind the Thunder, he predicted the Spurs to be behind the Nuggets, but the Spurs team that finished the year had almost no similarities to the one that started the year because of insane young player development and career revival as well as the Spurs dumping their worst player in Richard Jefferson. Hollinger and his models thought a team starting Danny Green (before that year, one of the worst players in the NBA) was a bad plan, it turned out not to be. Duncan looked finished in the Memphis series, he turned out not to be. Everyone thought they had terrible chemistry after the Spurs tried to trade Parker for Valanciunas, turned out they didn't. The Nuggets finished pretty close to the non-Spurs teams that they were predicted to finish behind despite horrible seasons from their projected top two players, it wasn't a horrible prediction.

His models this year view Faried and Koufos as legitimately good players and think that Gallinari is going to stay healthy and have an MIP caliber season. I don't agree, but I see where it's coming from and it's at least it's a different view. Conventional wisdom people, like you, don't say anything bold whatsoever and just ignore when a statistical prediction comes true by retroactively claiming that everyone saw it coming (such as the Nuggets exploding and the Knicks sucking after the Melo trade) and then mock whenever a bold statistical prediction goes wrong.

edit: Randomly looking back at his predictions, he was the only person last year to have the Knicks and Mavs finishing without HCA. He didn't expect Josh Smith, Millsap, Popovich, or Marc Gasol to be as awesome as they were last year and expected too much of Raymond Felton and Gallinari, but his predictions were good overall aside from health issues.

giri

The nuggets over achieveing in the regular season is entirely likely.

not sure they can make much of a splash in the post season.

Also, i'd rather see the suns work out a trade of something like Harden for Gortat.

That would be awesome.

The nuggets over achieveing in the regular season is entirely likely.

not sure they can make much of a splash in the post season.

Also, i'd rather see the suns work out a trade of something like Harden for Gortat.

That would be awesome.

Or just wait until the off season.

linsivvi

Conventional wisdom people, like you, don't say anything bold whatsoever and just ignore when a statistical prediction comes true by retroactively claiming that everyone saw it coming (such as the Nuggets exploding and the Knicks sucking after the Melo trade) and then mock whenever a bold statistical prediction goes wrong.

I'm not a conventional wisdom person. I worked in a market research company for 8 years. I know my stats pretty damn well. People like Hollinger doesn't really understand stats. You can't just apply numbers blindly on real life situations, especially when it's dealing with athletes in a sport where players performance can fluctuate so much, and with such a small sample size. You can only use stats to assist in your predictions, not as the basis. To put it bluntly, his model sucks.

His model is not bold. He just added up all the players PER and use some arbitrary multipliers to arrive at his prediction. He doesn't care about team chemistry, player growth/decline, injury chance, coaching, whether players are in shape or not and dozens of other factors not in his model. His predictions are total boring. Bold is someone like Barkley making an outrageous prediction based on his gut feeling. Hollinger is anything but that.

Much more likely to extend, than sign out right with the suns.

Much.

Pretty sure that's what will happen anyway. They are not that dumb to just let him walk.

Still, it's a bad move to not just give him the max right away. Now they are at the risk of ruining team chemistry.

shira

I don't see his hunger for winning another title.
There is no way he can catch Jordan or Kobe in # of titles.

Nike isn't going to pay him more now that their advertising can include MVP, Champ, gold medal, finals MVP.

Bosh/Wade/Allen are all going to be broken down this year or next.

Lakers reload in 2014 or whatever, maybe Zen can come out of retirement.

Hollinger's models and predictions do take into account chemistry, player growth, player decline, and injuries. He lowered his predictions of the Magic last year based on the belief that Dwight was going to be a cancer (correct) and lowered his Hawks predictions based on the thought that Smith was going to be a cancer (incorrect). He thought Deng and Rose were going to injured under Thibs in the lockout season (correct), he thought that the Lakers were going to be able to have their big 3 play nearly every minute of the season since that was insane, he lowered the Knicks' prediction down because he thought either Amar'e or Chandler would get injured (correct), he thought that Spurs were going to take it easier due to age (correct, but a series of bizarre breakout seasons from their role players balanced that out)

His methods for predicting injuries, chemistry, and player growth/decline are hit-and-miss compared to his other stuff, but few people actually nail those factors. I didn't see anyone predicting Millsap to have an insanely good season 6 years into his career or for Josh Smith to have a breakout year after 7 years in the league either.

Cipherr

Anything less than the max is unacceptable for Harden if I was his agent. Max or shut the fuck up.

Ibaka on the other hand...

I always wondered if Harden vanishing like a fart in the wind during the finals would hurt his value. I suppose it makes sense that it didn't, he seems generally a reliable player.

RBH

268012958001_1927442033001_vs-508b6057b5e2b0e47c812a49-806787308001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom