• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

What does that have to do with my point that Grant has had to build from ground zero? You do realize a different front office made those stupid decisions, right?

And I don't blame LeBron for leaving, he made the right decision.

I didn't realize that, no. Irving was a good choice and Waiters was a decent choice, but Bennett was an absolutely terrible choice. I really don't get the pick at all.

Cheddahz

Banned
I didn't realize that, no. Irving was a good choice and Waiters was a decent choice, but Bennett was an absolutely terrible choice. I really don't get the pick at all.

sadnerlens_medium.gif

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
You don't know how good a player is going to be until they play games in the league. Who else were we going to pick?

Noel and his bad knees when we already have two injury prone centers and Zeller?

Oladipo/McLemore when we just selected Waiters 4th overall?

Otto Porter Jr and his limited athletic ability?

Bennett was taken on potential. Right now he is hurting the team and not playing, I'd rather see him in the D-League than rotting on the bench.
If you don't like your pick position, you make a trade. They could've at least got value for trading down if that's your argument. You don't make that kind of reach at #1 because you simply do not have to.

Not arguing if he's a bust or not, just saying that its a really, really bad look and GMs have been fired for less.

AcridMeat

Banned
Lol at the Kyrie ISO as the cavs last play. Never change Mike Brown. Oh well, a win is a win I guess.
Was that really his play? I never understood coaches who do that. Unless you have a guy going HAM all game one on one.

Solid game by the dubs. Let's see if this moves them to #1 in the power rankings now. -_-

If you don't like your pick position, you make a trade. They could've at least got value for trading down if that's your argument. You don't make that kind of reach at #1 because you simply do not have to.

Not arguing if he's a bust or not, just saying that its a really, really bad look and GMs have been fired for less.

To be fair the Cavs tried pretty hard to find a taker for the number one. They were shopping that and one of Thompson/Waiters for Aldridge I think.

We tried to make a trade, everyone and their mother knew we wanted out of the #1 spot but a deal didn't get done. Therefore Grant picked the guy he felt had the most potential and healthy knees.

Was that really his play? I never understood coaches who do that. Unless you have a guy going HAM all game one on one.

Solid game by the dubs. Let's see if this moves them to #1 in the power rankings now. -_-

To be fair, the Cavs kept turning the ball over when they tried to pass (or at least seemed to going by the gamecast since I couldn't watch it), so iso for anybody was better than a quick turnover.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Got dragged out to see Ender's Game with the fam, and the Cavs fuck around and beat the Wolves? Sonuvabitch.

I guess I am the jinx. Sorry Cavs-age.

You don't know how good a player is going to be until they play games in the league. Who else were we going to pick?

Noel and his bad knees when we already have two injury prone centers and Zeller?

Oladipo/McLemore when we just selected Waiters 4th overall?

Otto Porter Jr and his limited athletic ability?

Bennett was taken on potential. Right now he is hurting the team and not playing, I'd rather see him in the D-League than rotting on the bench.

I can see why you'd think this, because Georgetown makes everybody on the team look unathletic, but Porter actually has very good combine scores. He has a max vert of 36 which is great for his height and shits on Kawhi Leonard and Durants vertical leap, while also beating Durants lane agility, bench press, and well, everything really combine wise.

As for Bennett, practices with NBA players and being in an NBA huddle with NBA coaches beats shitting on D-League scrubs any day of the week.

D-League would be a disaster for him.

The shocking revelation right now though is most teams passed on Noel purely because they weren't patient enough to wait for him to get back on the court.

That's stunning to me.

giri

Lots of Euros and Asians too.

Diprosalic = Brit
linsivvi = ? SIngaporean

I know there are a bunch of other Euros as well.

linsivi is back in the USA i believe.

Last i stalked anyway.

And bball season is during a very quiet time in the AU sports calendar for the most part. Over summer, we really only have cricket.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The right pick for the Cavs was Otto Porter Jr. Everything else was stupid fuckery.

I'm trying to move on from this fact. Chris Grant thinks he's so freaking smart, that he sees what no one else can. He's an arrogant fool who's wasted years of top draft picks, outside of the Kyrie selection.

We'll lose Kyrie because of him.

They absolutely should have taken Oladipo. Making a new mistake because you are afraid of admitting the last one (Waiters) is asinine. Oladipo with a healthy Kyrie is like a more explosive version of Klay/Steph. You can then have Waiters as your sixth man, or use him in a trade to land a veteran big with all that cap space (Waiters and some filler for Gasol?) if you are dead set on making the playoffs. Much better than taking a poor man's Antawn Jamison with the first overall pick.

They should have taken Noel because he was the best player in the draft :/

I did not like Bennett as a prospect at all, but I don't think Oladipo should be retrospectively viewed as an elite prospect. He wasn't that good in college until his Junior year and he was the 146th highest rated recruit out of high school. It looks like he's going to very good, but there was definitely a chance of him being a guy who beat up on kids younger and less physically mature than him while having a fluke shooting year like Thomas Robinson or Wesley Johnson before him. I did have Oladipo third and Bennett as around the 16th best guy so I think Oladipo would have been a much better pick, but I can see why a front office would be worried about taking a non-elite prospect who played the same position as their #4 overall pick from last year.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Go Rockets!

Gonna be a hard stretch of games now.

They should have taken Noel because he was the best player in the draft :/

I did not like Bennett as a prospect at all, but I don't think Oladipo should be retrospectively viewed as an elite prospect. He wasn't that good in college until his Junior year and he was the 146th highest rated recruit out of high school. It looks like he's going to very good, but there was definitely a chance of him being a guy who beat up on kids younger and less physically mature than him while having a fluke shooting year like Thomas Robinson or Wesley Johnson before him. I did have Oladipo third and Bennett as around the 16th best guy so I think Oladipo would have been a much better pick, but I can see why a front office would be worried about taking a non-elite prospect who played the same position as their #4 overall pick from last year.

I'm still going to wait to see what Oladipos numbers look like at the end of the year. I didn't like him in college because he was always a low usage, high efficiency Robin. The main question for guys like that is what the efficiency would look like with higher usage. And it's not like I'm salty about him because he's a Silver Spring/DeMatha guy and is awesome people.

He's been impressive, but the raw stats aren't good right now. The amount of turnovers he has per game are alarmingly high for what his role is right now, especially in the limited minutes he plays. Shit, he's turning the ball over more than Rookie John Wall who who was supposed to orchestrate an offense with Javale McGee, Blatche, and Nick Young as its main cogs.

Bennett never showed any reason why he could separate himself from tweeners who had a higher skillset though, and he's off to a worse start than D-Will and Beas as a result.

IWMTB I'm sorry but...history is not kind to Randles prospects.

Tom Penny

I feel a little bad for Wallace. We did him dirty by sending him there. He must be hating this.

I feel bad for a guy who plays like shit getting overpaid and calls out the team. Anyone dumb enough to take on his contract from us via trade I commend them.

I'm still going to wait to see what Oladipos numbers look like at the end of the year. I didn't like him in college because he was always a low usage, high efficiency Robin. The main question for guys like that is what the efficiency would look like with higher usage.

He's been impressive, but the raw stats aren't good right now. The amount of turnovers he has per game are alarmingly high for what his role is right now, especially in the limited minutes he plays. Shit, he's turning the ball over more than Rookie John Wall who who was supposed to orchestrate an offense with Javale McGee, Blatche, and Nick Young as its main cogs.

Bennett never showed any reason why he could separate himself from tweeners who had a higher skillset though, and he's off to a worse start than D-Will and Beas as a result.

IWMTB I'm sorry but...history is not kind to Randles prospects.

Yeah...Randle has that same thing where he's so much bigger than every college and high school PF that he can just score at will from being so much bigger than them but in the NBA, he'll be pretty small and that is the main issue with a lot of these guys...But I still believe. He'll be far more determined than Beasley and Bennett, have more offensive skill than Robinson. He'll break through the undersized PF (who has aspirations of being a three) history of disaster and it will be great (I hope).

Top Bottom