• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

Pimpwerx

Watching the Pacers highlights just now. George's handle has really gotten a lot better. He looks good. Damn good. I've been hating on the guy for not having superstar talent, but he's got the potential for sure. Wow! I can't wait to see how we match up with them on the court. PEACE.

Branduil

I don't think Monta is really that different as a player than he was in Milwaukee, he's just on a way better team with a far better scoring partner than Brandon Jennings.

Now if they could just get an Asik-type center they might have something.

Now that they've mostly fixed their offense, they really need to look into their defensive scheme. Their perimeter D just sucks balls.

There's nothing they can really do. Harden has been atrocious, Lin isn't good, Parsons sucks except a little bit in help and I know Rockets fans think Beverly is good, but he's not.

They have 2 defensive minded players total and they play the same position.

It's also what makes the Asik for Ryno trade idea so dumb. It does nothing to their team, really. If anything, it could make them worse since their backup C will now be who, exactly?

They need to unload Asik and/or Beverly/Lin for multiple pieces that can play D. They need a Thabo or something. I'm not sure they can pull it off, though.

methodman

Banned
I don't think Monta is really that different as a player than he was in Milwaukee, he's just on a way better team with a far better scoring partner than Brandon Jennings.

Now if they could just get an Asik-type center they might have something.
Well he's taking way less 3s and getting to the free throw line the most attempts per game in his career. Big improvement.

Branduil

Well he's taking way less 3s and getting to the free throw line the most attempts per game in his career. Big improvement.

I'm sure Carlisle has told him to take less jump shots but it's also easier for him to get to the basket because he plays on a team with a good offense and lots of shooters, including the best shooting PF of all time. He doesn't have to force the same terrible shots he took all the time in Milwaukee.

As well as Ellis is playing, it should be noted that not including tonight:

A. Dallas' offense has been 6.7 points better per 100 with Ellis on the bench

B. They've been outscored (slightly) with Ellis on the floor versus on the bench

It comes down to two things so far. They shoot better without him and they rebound on offense a lot better without him. The latter isn't surprising since he's a shitty rebounder for a SG. He's also turning it over at a ridiculous 17% rate.

His WS/48 is a very average .104.

All this with Ellis shooting at the 2nd best clip of his career so far. If this is more of a hot streak and ellis regresses to his mean, this is going to turn very quickly.

And as inefficient as his offense can usually be, it's really his defense that's the big problem and that hasn't really been a big deal yet; they've been decent defensively with him out there. How long will that last?

Smokey

Yall gushing over Ellis but two things:

1. He always kills the Rockets
2. The Rockets defense is horrible and anybody can go off. James fucking Anderson had 35 or whatever the hell it was when the Sixers bodied us

Branduil

As well as Ellis is playing, it should be noted that not including tonight:

A. Dallas' offense has been 6.7 points better per 100 with Ellis on the bench

B. They've been outscored (slightly) with Ellis on the floor versus on the bench

It comes down to two things so far. They shoot better without him and they rebound on offense a lot better without him. The latter isn't surprising since he's a shitty rebounder for a SG. He's also turning it over at a ridiculous 17% rate.

His WS/48 is a very average .104.

All this with Ellis shooting at the 2nd best clip of his career so far. If this is more of a hot streak and ellis regresses to his mean, this is going to turn very quickly.

And as inefficient as his offense can usually be, it's really his defense that's the big problem and that hasn't really been a big deal yet; they've been decent defensively with him out there. How long will that last?

I think that's mainly because of the terrible Calderon-Ellis-Carter-Marion-Blair lineup they've played weirdly much.

http://www.82games.com/1314/1314DAL2.HTM

The starting lineup of Calderon-Ellis-Marion-Nowitzki-Dalembert has been great.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So Nets are on the verge of collapse here... celts get one of their picks this year right? But there's some catch to it... hows that work again?

Bread

Banned
So Nets are on the verge of collapse here... celts get one of their picks this year right? But there's some catch to it... hows that work again?
the hawks get the nets pick if it's higher than their own, and we get the worse one that's left.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
the hawks get the nets pick if it's worse than their own, and we get the other one.

The hawks pick? Yuck looks to be a solid year for them. Next 2 should be good though. Glad to see Jeff put it together tonight... gotta ship him off and drop some of these contracts. I'd be happy if they could shed wallace/bogans with rondo and green leavin town in return for some picks. Courtney Lee would be nice too.

I'm stuck on sullinger. He seems like a major injury risk, but obviously that bone bruise wasn't what anybody thought it was. He looks really great like he was originally projected to be. Beasts on the glass, and is real smooth in the post. Tanks going well, but a few teams have a decent head start on them... Hopefully Rondo can get shipped out before he can even play and turn this around somehwat.

Emwitus

Hold up, nets lost to the bobcats? Say wha! Everybody in it for wiggins.

... Hopefully Rondo can get shipped out before he can even play and turn this around somehwat.

Amazing how easy it is for fans to call for a tank + shipping out of good/superstar players. Do you remember how long it took boston to get back to relevancy?

Great Mavs win tonight, but I thought Shane Larkin had some great backup minutes as well. He played smart and passed the ball which really helped the Mavs out in the long run. Plus he can run which much of the team cannot do :(

He's undersized but seems like a really smart, quick pg.

Kevtones

Why the fuck is Wes Matthews not on the All-Star ballot?

He's averaging 16/5/2 and shooting .55/51 from the field/3P. Also plays defense.

Howd Houston manage to give this game away lol. When I left it at the 4th they were up 15 or something with no signs of slowing down.

Harden bitching to the ref after his bricked shot at the end was hilarious. Throwing a tantrum like a child lol

Yall gushing over Ellis but two things:

1. He always kills the Rockets
2. The Rockets defense is horrible and anybody can go off. James fucking Anderson had 35 or whatever the hell it was when the Sixers bodied us

How about you look at his seasonal stats so far and take note that he is putting up all star numbers. How about you look at his seasonal stats so far and take note that he is putting up all star numbers. He has played better than Harden this season so far.

Dirk is just ridiculous. I'm still waiting for that huge drop off that Barkley has been predicted for three years now. He's going to pass KG this season and he has played three seasons less than him. One of the most productive and efficient offensive players ever.

How about you look at his seasonal stats so far and take note that he is putting up all star numbers. He has played better than Harden this season so far.

Yeah, no.

gOsMXzF.png

Harden's Net On/Off is +7.2
Eliis Net On/Off is -0.2

Yeah, no.

Harden's Net On/Off is +7.2
Eliis Net On/Off is -0.2

That stat is irrelevant to me. Harden is the very type of player I loathe and I wouldn't want him on my team. He was better suited coming off the bench because as a starter he is prone to shoot the Rockets out of games with stupid pull up threes and he whines like a baby when he flails at the basket and doesn't get calls. A thoroughly dumb player.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
That stat is irrelevant to me. Harden is the very type of player I loathe and I wouldn't want him on my team. He was better suited coming off the bench because as a starter he is prone to shoot the Rockets out of games with stupid pull up threes and he whines like a baby when he flails at the basket and doesn't get calls. A thoroughly dumb player.

That's a huge part of Monta's game...

So Ellis is better than Harden because Harden shoots his team out of games, something that Ellis has never been accused of, and because Harden is a big whiny dummy. You craft a compelling argument.

So Ellis is better than Harden because Harden shoots his team out of games, something that Ellis has never been accused of, and because Harden is a big whiny dummy. You craft a compelling argument.

Except Ellis hasn't shot his team out of games this year. We are not talking about the Bucks.

Except Ellis hasn't shot his team out of games this year. We are not talking about the Bucks.
He's still less efficient than Harden. Look at the stat line that was posted on this very page. And you should really stop putting so much weight on a tiny amount of games when, for the vast majority of his career, Ellis had been a ballhog. Just last year some people were talking up OJ Mayo because he started off the season on a hot streak. How'd that turn out for the Mavs?

He's still less efficient than Harden. Look at the stat line that was posted on this very page. And you should really stop putting so much weight on a tiny amount of games when, for the vast majority of his career, Ellis had been a ballhog. Just last year some people were talking up OJ Mayo because he started off the season on a hot streak. How'd that turn out for the Mavs?

Except the Mavs are winning. The storyline is vastly different.

Also, what kind of argument is "he's not as good as the best SG in the game"? How about you compare him to all time greats also, hell, just say he's no MJ.

linsivvi

Yeah I don't know how anyone can say Ellis is playing better than Harden when Harden still has a higher TS%, which is at exactly where most of career has been, .600, while Ellis is at a level way above his career average, which suggests that it is not going to last.

The on/off discrepancy is even more glaring.

I'll concede that Ellis is playing better than most people expected, but we are still dealing with a small sample size here. I mean, Jodie Meeks has a TS% of 69% right now, and nobody sane should be crowning him given his career history.

Also, what kind of argument is "he's not as good as the best SG in the game"? How about you compare him to all time greats also, hell, just say he's no MJ.

The kind of argument when someone says "he's playing better than the best SG in the game".

Emwitus

Yeah I don't know how anyone can say Ellis is playing better than Harden when Harden still has a higher TS%, which is at exactly where most of career has been, .600, while Ellis is at a level way above his career average, which suggests that it is not going to last.

I'll concede that Ellis is playing better than most people expected, but we are still dealing with a small sample size here. I mean, Jodie Meeks has a TS% of 69% right now, and nobody sane should be crowning him given his career history.

The kind of argument when someone says "he's playing better than the best SG in the game".

Harden is the most fraud best SG in the league since vince carter, and i still think vince carter was a better player at his age. His a ref made star and that's saying something considering how biased this league is to superstars.

Vahagn

PG's ball handling has improved but so has his mid range game. I'm an old school guy, I still think an athletic wing player who can hit tough mid range shots is super dangerous because getting to the rim and shooting open 3's are pretty much gimme's with that kind of individual talent and good floor spacing.

I'm still worried about Indiana's lack of a ball handling PG is their biggest weakness but they're so big, athletic, and skilled that they're going to be a real tough out

He'd done it for an entire year before, so it's not a stretch to think Monta can keep that up for the rest of this season.

Basketball isn't like baseball where dumb things like BABIP can mess with you for an extended period of time.

Monta has cut back on his three point rate while massively increasing his free throw rate and both of those are positives that could continue throughout the year, but I'm not sure about the rest. Monta is shooting nearly 50% this year on shots away from the basket after being just terrible at making shots like that for the last couple of years and that seems very unlikely to continue. OJ Mayo and Darren Collison couldn't miss to start last year either.

He's the best player in the league at the moment.

And his dominant college defense is finally starting to translate.

;_;

And he's STILL not close to filling out that frame

Imagine next year when he gets big enough to play center and enough range to shoot threes.

How will any team stop him?

Top Bottom