• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

It's really in question, but he was very good to end last year so I was expecting him to be good this year. I'm now worried that he just can't defend while playing heavy minutes because his physical tools and BBIQ are very bad, but it's still early.

He looks like there's not much more to get out of him beyond an above average NBA center. Still an asset, but not good when you think about where he was drafted.

Hayward should have signed a deal but this season exposed him.

His agent was asking for a preposterous ~$12 million a year. No way Hayward gets that when Harden makes 15.

Now that Monta's making 8 a year in Dallas, Hayward might be making Redick money when it's said and done.

linsivvi

I don't think you can tank in the East. That's just the standard mode of operation for half the teams.

Yep. When a team with losing record can be the 4th seed, tanking takes on a whole new meaning.

To make it worse, there are two teams that are trying to win but are worse than teams that are tanking.

This is pretty hilarious/sad
8thSeedFever.png

Anth0ny

I don't think you can tank in the East. That's just the standard mode of operation for half the teams.

when the fucking raptors are in 4th place and at the top of their division

you know something is up

Question: why is Brooklyn so bad right now? Is someone injured? I haven't been watching. Weren't they supposed to be top 4 in the east this season? Are Garnett and Pierce playing well?

you know something is up

Question: why is Brooklyn so bad right now? Is someone injured? I haven't been watching. Weren't they supposed to be top 4 in the east this season? Are Garnett and Pierce playing well?
Dwill(who hasn't looked good)l and AK47 are injured. Garnett and Pierce looks done. Their offense is uglier than the Pacers. Joe Johnson is being played 100 million dollars for 14 ppg. Kidd is their coach.

the team is geriatric.

will probably get the 4th -5th seed though.

linsivvi

you know something is up

Deron, Lopez and AK are out. Garnett, Pierce and Jet have been shit. Rookie coach. It's gonna take some time. Lucky for them, half of the conference aren't trying to win so they might still make it work.

Prediction: A certain Nets fan will suddenly resurface in this thread once they start winning.

lol do you guys remember that one time that the Nets used a meaningless preseason win against Miami to "set the tone" for the season?

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...s-say-hard-play-vs-miami-heat-set-tone-season

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The Brooklyn Nets are undergoing an attitude adjustment, with Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett overseeing the transformation.

On Thursday against the defending champion Miami Heat, Pierce delivered a hard foul to longtime rival LeBron James in the first quarter of the Nets' 86-62 win. Pierce said the playoff-type body check was "a message to the league" of what the Nets' identity will be this season.

you know something is up

KG and Blatche have been just horrible, Deron and AK have been hurt all year, Bropez has been incredible but he's missed the last four games. Once Deron, Bropez, and AK47 are healthy, they should still be good.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Wait why does that raise the odds in the good knee? More pressure/reliance being put on that leg out of fear you'll re-injure the other?

Yea, I'm sure there's a whole mechanical side of things and imbalances caused by the bad knee.

WHICH is why so many of us were so WTF when Westbrook came back a whole month early. Just a stupid ass gamble.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Wait why does that raise the odds in the good knee? More pressure/reliance being put on that leg out of fear you'll re-injure the other?

Probably, also if your tear your acl it probably means you are predisposed to having acl injuries. Especially the way rose has injured his, non contact freak accidents. Im sure the hamstring injury didn't help. Read something that groin and hamstring injuries usually happen before acl injuries.

If it's an acl I'm selling my league pass login :/

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Also what the fuck is it with bulls point guards....

Jay Williams - career ending bike accident
Jamal Crawford -torn acl as a bill
Drose - acl injury, possible 2nd

Sucks to hear about Rose. With how badly he seemed to take the first tear, this might be devastating for him mentally. I mean, granted, considering his play style I wouldn't have expected him to have a 15 year career or anything but damn. It really makes it more amazing to see guys like Duncan or Kobe who can play as long as they have at such a high level. It has to just be pure luck that Kobe didn't tear an ACL or two in his prime and have his career completely derailed. Really makes you realize that's what separates young promising players who look like they are on the path to greatness from those who actually achieve it.

Jodie Meeks and Nick Young are 3rd and 4th in Win Shares on the Lakers so I'm going to continue to think that the team is going to win less than 24 games. At least they can hold claim to being this year's version of the 2013 Magic.

Hayward, Favors, Rush, and Kanter looked like a solid four guys to be able to play defense and be just bad and not terrible on offense with all the finishing at the rim and three point shooting they would have, but Hayward and Favors have been inconsistent as fuck, Kanter has been terrible and Rush hasn't played. I was thinking around 28-32 wins and I think we could get up to 20-22 once Favors and Kanter start playing harder with Burke there and with Corbin fired, but it's been pretty bleak.

The Jazz scored 1.049 PPP with Favors and Kanter playing last year and only gave up 1.027. This year, the Jazz are scoring 0.936 PPP and are allowing 1.147 PPP, that is a normal transition. Switching from +2.2 to -2.8 to having to play against starters would seem far more normal than going from very good against bench units to the worst pairing in the history of basketball against starters.

Who cares? You only have like 3 or 4 NBA quality players. Meeks, Young, Blake, Farmar are all better than your 3-6 by a significant margin. And this is without Kobe and Nash playing. And that's despite the fact that those 4 aren't anything special in any way. It's just that the Jazz players are that bad.

You basically play 2 guys at all times are are replacement level players. It's hard to be anything but horrific that way.

jjasper

Somewhat great news for Marc Gasol. Grade 2 MCL sprain, no surgery required. Out 8 weeks(could be less). I wonder if Memphis can survive without him until January/February.

I don't think the team will tank but the season expectations will definitely change. Now its just try to get to the playoffs and avoid the Spurs in the first round.

Branduil

OJ Mayo's pick-and-roll numbers with Dirk versus Ellis':

Code:
Player	PPP	Rank	FG%	%SF	TO%	%Scoring
Mayo	0.73	115	40.3	4.0	21.5	35.2
Ellis	0.99	5	55.3	12.0	19.0	50.7

Who cares? You only have like 3 or 4 NBA quality players. Meeks, Young, Blake, Farmar are all better than your 3-6 by a significant margin. And this is without Kobe and Nash playing. And that's despite the fact that those 4 aren't anything special in any way. It's just that the Jazz players are that bad.

You basically play 2 guys at all times are are replacement level players. It's hard to be anything but horrific that way.

I don't really see why Nick Young, Jodie Meeks, Steve Blake, and Jordan Farmar would be expected to play better than Enes Kanter, Trey Burke, Marvin Williams, and Brandon Rush before the season. Farmar didn't play in the NBA last year, Blake hasn't been good in years, Nick Young and Jodie Meeks are league minimum players. Kanter has not lived up to expectations while the other guys have been hurt, but the Lakers' 3-6 guys are not going to keep up any level of good play.

It's hard to be anything better than horrific with Jordan Hill as your best player either and the Lakers will reach there soon.

linsivvi

I don't really see why Nick Young, Jodie Meeks, Steve Blake, and Jordan Farmar would be expected to play better than Enes Kanter, Trey Burke, Marvin Williams, and Brandon Rush before the season. Farmar didn't play in the NBA last year, Blake hasn't been good in years, Nick Young and Jodie Meeks are league minimum players. Kanter has not lived up to expectations while the other guys have been hurt, but the Lakers' 3-6 guys are not going to keep up any level of good play.

It's hard to be anything better than horrific with Jordan Hill as your best player either and the Lakers will reach there soon.

I wish you were right but the Lakers play 4 bottom dwellers next.

You underestimate guys like Blake and Meeks. Meeks sucks but he has always had around average WS/48.

The Lakers 3-6 guys aren't playing any level of "good play." They just aren't playing Jazz level of high-school play.

This isn't about the Laker guys being good cuz they ain't. This is about the Jazz guys being fucking trash.

Mik317

Stern/Silver needs to figure out what magic Phoenix has and give it to every team in the league.

ACL injuries suck, hopefully it isn't the case for Rose. although Knee contusion sounds painful as fuck too.

Shadow780

I feel like you see players injure more often and serious now more than ever. Did the game became more dangerous or these athletes became so freakish now either you need to build like a tank or just don't leap ever.

Sorry to hear about Rose, Iggy and best Gasol, this shit sucks.

diehard

Fleer
You underestimate guys like Blake and Meeks. Meeks sucks but he has always had around average WS/48.

The Lakers 3-6 guys aren't playing any level of "good play." They just aren't playing Jazz level of high-school play.

This isn't about the Laker guys being good cuz they ain't. This is about the Jazz guys being fucking trash.

dont disagree with IWMTB, you will be wrong.

that is great fucking news if true. Still need to trade deng though, especially it seems they can't resign him. But who would want dengs carcass. In my memory deng has been bad lately, I think he is overvaluing himself and might not get the money he thinks he's worth.

edit: if bulls still wants to be competitive/decent this year, keep booz..but with a Full on tank so hard mode/best future in mind? Trade his ass too.

Branduil

that is great fucking news if true. Still need to trade deng though, especially it seems they can't resign him. But who would want dengs carcass. In my memory deng has been bad lately, I think he is overvaluing himself and might not get the money he thinks he's worth.

edit: if bulls still wants to be competitive/decent this year, keep booz..but with a Full on tank so hard mode/best future in mind? Trade his ass too.

Deng would be a good fit on the Mavs. Although he's a bit overpaid right now.

Top Bottom