• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
And 3 boards short.

Tears of joy, maybe. I suppose replies to Heat posts elicits the same response.

PR for who exactly? PEACE.

It's a hype piece to make the fans feel warm and fuzzy, to take the pressure off of a coaching staff that has often been scoffed at (rightfully so), and to uplift the spirits of an organization in order to keep their momentum going this season. Come on, you can't be this delusional to actually buy and read that much into it? NY papers do this all the time with their teams. Do you have any idea how desperate sports journalists and writers are to write fluff pieces like this at a moment's notice?

No.

But when I used to be on that side of the field, I saw it. And it was hilariously pathetic. So just relax yourself. Your team are champions, but we're going to keep clowning them...and you don't have to be so sensitive about it...because your team are the champions.

Pimpwerx

It's a hype piece to make the fans feel warm and fuzzy, to take the pressure off of a coaching staff that has often been scoffed at (rightfully so), and to uplift the spirits of an organization in order to keep their momentum going this season. Come on, you can't be this delusional to actually buy and read that much into it? NY papers do this all the time with their teams. Do you have any idea how desperate sports journalists and writers are to write fluff pieces like this at a moment's notice?

No.

But when I used to be on that side of the field, I saw it. And it was hilariously pathetic. So just relax yourself. Your team are champions, but we're going to keep clowning them...and you don't have to be so sensitive about it...because your team are the champions.
Huh? That makes no sense at all.

1. Spo got his extension already, and the assistants have been refreshed this past season. There's zero pressure, especially coming off b2b titles.

2. This is Woj, who's written positive and negative stuff about Bron. You forget 2010-11 and some of the stuff he wrote? He's not exactly a beat writer or someone who writes endless Heat fluff pieces.

3. I'm not sensitive. People who throw that around are ridiculous. It's an internet forum, and if someone makes a post that's interesting to reply to, guess what? Imma reply. I know...it's completely irrational.

4. I don't think the Heat org needs any uplifting. This, again, ignores the success and popularity of the franchise both locally and nationally. This team is literally the best thing going in town, especially once the Canes mirage evaporates this weekend at the hands of Famous Jameis. Uplift them anymore, and they'll be in outer space. LOL!

PEACE.

EDIT: Besides, the bigger story with more longevity would be Lebron leaving town, not staying. Lebron staying sucks the drama from the media narrative that's expected to last all season. It just doesn't make sense that it's a PR move.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Plumlee has more points in this game than all of last season.

He didn't even do this at Duke.

Portland's defense is so soft. It's why LA will never be elite, he's too soft on D.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Plumlee has more points in this game than all of last season.

He didn't even do this at Duke.

Portland's defense is so soft. It's why LA will never be elite, he's too soft on D.

Eh? What? Aldridge is one of the better PFs defensively. He's nowhere near Love, Griffin, nor even Dirk tier defensively.

An image of FTevin FTurant at the free throw line is burned my TV screen now. That kinda sucks.

538.gif

Because Woj doesn't make up sources. It doesn't matter what you think about what they're best at. It's someone actually involved in the sport who said what I've been saying for a while. It gives a lot more credibility to the argument than the countless times on here that I've read he's not just because. The comment about being elite isn't the entire point, but I highlighted it because it's right. PEACE.

It really doesn't add any credibility because the source is nameless and 'closely connected to Bron and Spo" and "Bron believes Spo is an elite coach." It was basically a WOJ editorial with an assistant coach/Agent or such saying Bron like Spo.

I'm not certain how you believe that adds credibility to the Spo is an elite coach argument...but whatever

NervousXtian

Eh? What? Aldridge is one of the better PFs defensively. He's nowhere near Love, Griffin, nor even Dirk tier defensively.

He disappears, and he's a poor rebounder.

He's one of those if the ball comes to me kind of guys, not I'm getting that fucking rebound no matter what kind of guys.

reilo

Someone closely connected to Bro and Spo thinks that both are elite and best at what they do? Tell me more. Next thing you're gonna tell me is that Lebron's mama thinks he's a great basketball player.

He disappears, and he's a poor rebounder.

He's one of those if the ball comes to me kind of guys, not I'm getting that fucking rebound no matter what kind of guys.

He's always been a mediocre rebounder, but his individual one-on-one defense is actually really good. He's got great lateral quickness and doesn't bite on pumpfakes.

giri

Someone closely connected to Bro and Spo thinks that both are elite and best at what they do? Tell me more. Next thing you're gonna tell me is that Lebron's mama thinks he's a great basketball player.

He's always been a mediocre rebounder, but his individual one-on-one defense is actually really good. He's got great lateral quickness and doesn't bite on pumpfakes.

Eh, LMA is about dirk tier.

Dirk got better.

I certainly don't think "paint protector" or "defensive anchor" when i think LMA.

Pimpwerx

It really doesn't add any credibility because the source is nameless and 'closely connected to Bron and Spo" and "Bron believes Spo is an elite coach." It was basically a WOJ editorial with an assistant coach/Agent or such saying Bron like Spo.

I'm not certain how you believe that adds credibility to the Spo is an elite coach argument...but whatever

Is this Moris Logic at work again?

The source is always going to be nameless in situations like this. Otherwise, they'd get cut off from their contacts. However, the only reliable source to comment on anything relating to the two is someone connected to both of them. It doesn't say he thinks he plays for an elite coach, but that he knows it. And either way, that would still be more reliable than anything you or I would say because Bron has been instructed by other elite coaches, such as Coach K, and the various other coaches of ASGs. I know, I know. It doesn't help you discredit the information as readily, but that's why I posted it. It's gonna be pretty darn hard to discredit something like this with no counter sources. Ain't that a.... PEACE.

NervousXtian

Then again, Robin Lopez's soft D makes LA look titanium wall.

ok, be honest.. who just picked up Plumlee on their team.. you know he's undrafted.. he can keep this up.

reilo

Eh, LMA is about dirk tier.

Dirk got better.

I certainly don't think "paint protector" or "defensive anchor" when i think LMA.

LMA is a better defender than Dirk, especially one-on-one. I'm not saying LMA is elite or anything, but he's not bad nor even average for his position.

The source is always going to be nameless in situations like this. Otherwise, they'd get cut off from their contacts. However, the only reliable source to comment on anything relating to the two is someone connected to both of them. It doesn't say he thinks he plays for an elite coach, but that he knows it. And either way, that would still be more reliable than anything you or I would say because Bron has been instructed by other elite coaches, such as Coach K, and the various other coaches of ASGs. I know, I know. It doesn't help you discredit the information as readily, but that's why I posted it. It's gonna be pretty darn hard to discredit something like this with no counter sources. Ain't that a.... PEACE.

What the hell are you talking about LOL

You really running around in here sayingthat WOJ is saying that someone close to the situation says Lebron thinks Spo is an elite coach, therefore Spo is an elite coach?

The fuck outta here.

NervousXtian

LMA is a better defender than Dirk, especially one-on-one. I'm not saying LMA is elite or anything, but he's not bad nor even average for his position.

Dirk tier sounds about right.

We can disagree on this, maybe I'm biased as it's his big weakness and watching him all these years it's been a team problem.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Huh? That makes no sense at all.

1. Spo got his extension already, and the assistants have been refreshed this past season. There's zero pressure, especially coming off b2b titles.

No team FO is stupid enough to shake up the entire coaching staff of a championship winning team. Of course they're going to keep them. They got theirs, we know that. But the point I made is that people accuse Spoelstra of riding a tidal wave. The article makes it a point to demonstrate otherwise. The point is sort of made a bit too...blatantly. It just comes off forced. Sorry, but I'm not buying it.

]2. This is Woj, who's written positive and negative stuff about Bron. You forget 2010-11 and some of the stuff he wrote? He's not exactly a beat writer or someone who writes endless Heat fluff pieces.

I've said all sorts of terrible things about the Knicks, their FO, and their players in the past 20 years. What does that prove? When your team loses you become cynical and you take out your aggression on them. When your team wins, you're in a state of elation and you can't stop the high and it comes out in the writing. It's perfectly normal. Just because he's said some harsh things in the past, doesn't change or mean a thing.

3. I'm not sensitive. People who throw that around are ridiculous. It's an internet forum, and if someone makes a post that's interesting to reply to, guess what? Imma reply. I know...it's completely irrational.

4. I don't think the Heat org needs any uplifting. This, again, ignores the success and popularity of the franchise both locally and nationally. This team is literally the best thing going in town, especially once the Canes mirage evaporates this weekend at the hands of Famous Jameis. Uplift them anymore, and they'll be in outer space. LOL!

Every organization needs uplifting. Sorry, but Wade is on a downward spiral. Bosh comes and goes. Before you know it, Bron is playing for the Miami Cavaliers...all alone. All teams need all the momentum they could possibly get. From the press, the fans, from within the organization, etc. People are saying the odds are against them. Being voted as the most hated team in the NBA. Just because YOU don't see a certain way, doesn't mean there aren't PR folk and marketers who don't either.

PEACE.

Emwitus

Double team off of curry? D'antoni defense. Might as well settle in. The wiggins palooza is on. The way jimbo likes over reacting pau will be traded in a week.

Pimpwerx

What the hell are you talking about LOL

You really running around in here sayingthat WOJ is saying that someone close to the situation says Lebron thinks Spo is an elite coach, therefore Spo is an elite coach?

The fuck outta here.

No, look at what's quoted. Are you in a position to claim that Woj misquoted? Nope. Are you in a position to claim the source lied or misused his words? Nope. But what we do know is that Woj is the most reliable reporter in the whole NBA, and thus, the logical conclusion is that Bron thinks Spo is elite, so that lends plenty more credence to my prior argument in favor of him (in the offseason and preseason threads) than anything else stated.

But by all means, conjure up a thoughtful counter-argument that's...you know...grounded in facts or at least sourced. I'm not expecting one though. PEACE.

giri

Brons never been coached by an elite coach for extended periods of time. Stop making shit up. ASG coaching? Sigh.

I think Spo's pretty good, and i remember when Bron came out in the media trying to get him fired over the time period your quote talks about. Elite? Elite means best of the best. And that means he'd be on Pop's tier. He's not on pops tier.

No, look at what's quoted. Are you in a position to claim that Woj misquoted? Nope. Are you in a position to claim the source lied or misused his words? Nope. But what we do know is that Woj is the most reliable reporter in the whole NBA, and thus, the logical conclusion is that Bron thinks Spo is elite, so that lends plenty more credence to my prior argument in favor of him (in the offseason and preseason threads) than anything else stated.

But by all means, conjure up a thoughtful counter-argument that's...you know...grounded in facts or at least sourced. I'm not expecting one though. PEACE.

You're sourcing an unnamed source's account of what one players thinks of his current coach.

Bron thinking Spo is an elite coach doesn't really add much credence to the "Spo is an elite coach" dialogue. Players aren't often great evaluators of talent.

Pimpwerx

No team FO is stupid enough to shake up the entire coaching staff of a championship winning team. Of course they're going to keep them. They got theirs, we know that. But the point I made is that people accuse Spoelstra of riding a tidal wave. The article makes it a point to demonstrate otherwise. The point is sort of made a bit too...blatantly. It just comes off forced. Sorry, but I'm not buying it.

I've said all sorts of terrible things about the Knicks, their FO, and their players in the past 20 years. What does that prove? When your team loses you become cynical and you take out your aggression on them. When your team wins, you're in a state of elation and you can't stop the high and it comes out in the writing. It's perfectly normal. Just because he's said some harsh things in the past, doesn't change or mean a thing.

Every organization needs uplifting. Sorry, but Wade is on a downward spiral. Bosh comes and goes. Before you know it, Bron is playing for the Miami Cavaliers...all alone. All teams need all the momentum they could possibly get. From the press, the fans, from within the organization, etc. People are saying the odds are against them. Being voted as the most hated team in the NBA. Just because YOU don't see a certain way, doesn't mean there aren't PR folk and marketers who don't either.

PEACE.
1. You don't have to buy it. I'm skeptical of numerous things myself.

2. Are you accusing Woj of being a shill, fanboy or even having bias towards Spo? This article favors Spo more than Bron. Not sure I understand.

3. I'll ignore your claims about the state of the org, because that's just silly. You clearly don't know what's going on down here. That said, how many such fluff pieces do you think Wok writes, and how often? I'm honestly curious because I find it a bit humorous how far some of you are reaching in order to not discredit not just the message, but the messenger here. Claiming it's a PR fluff piece is a shot at Woj's credibility, not the credibility of the source. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Brons never been coached by an elite coach for extended periods of time. Stop making shit up. ASG coaching? Sigh.

I think Spo's pretty good, and i remember when Bron came out in the media trying to get him fired over the time period your quote talks about. Elite? Elite means best of the best. And that means he'd be on Pop's tier. He's not on pops tier.

He's been coached by Coach K long enough, and has an ongoing relationship with him. He's more familiar with what makes a great coach than you and I. Or are you claiming otherwise?

You're sourcing an unnamed source's account of what one players thinks of his current coach.

Bron thinking Spo is an elite coach doesn't really add much credence to the "Spo is an elite coach" dialogue. Players aren't often great evaluators of talent.

Uh huh. Like I asked giri, do you think you're some great talent evaluator? You say it doesn't add credence, then what does? What metrics do you have for gauging coaching greatness?

This goes back to the point I made in the previous threads. Someone like Phil Jackson gets labeled as greatest, but why? For wining, obviously. Is that a metric to be used? Because that would already vault Spo into the #2 spot in the current league. Ironic. What's the metric used. Maybe you can set me straight on that. PEACE.

exarkun

Theoretically, how likely is it that Miami wins ALL of their games from now until playoffs? It's a pipe dream but it'd be a hell of a thing to have for eternal bragging rights.

And now its 0% for real!

lol, heat loose to an actively tanking philly. With Carter-Williams putting up 22 pts (whos offensive game is raw as fuck and looked a bit like a bust in the summer leagues and a bit into the preseason) with 9 fucking steals. He almost had a triple double, and if he had rebounded a bit better, a quadruple double. Jesus.

Rox looked rough early, then Lin got us going, and harden/dwight finished em off. All of which means nothing if we dont get a great game out of Garcia. The parade is still on!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
The Lakers team we all expected.

Top Bottom