• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Kelly Olynyk's picture is pretty good, guy, you're right.

i

Fjordson

Yeah, I remember that. Fucking Randolph undercut him for no reason.

I hope Steph continues his play from the second half of the season and the playoffs, this year. Can't wait to watch us with Andre Igoudala in the starting lineup.

Harrison Barnes is going to miss the first two games with a foot injury and is going to be day-to-day after that. Damn
Yeah, I heard that about Barnes. Sucks.

Once we're fully healthy our main rotation should be pretty good. I really like how Iggy fits with our team. Doesn't need to dominate the ball, but can score off penetration when needed, defends, rebounds, etc. Also saw him make a ton of nice passes in the preseason so he should do well for us in transition, both with scoring and facilitating to our shooters.

I just hope we can stay healthy. Mainly Steph and Bogut. If they do and the younger guys continue to develop (like Barnes and Klay) we'll be looking good.

Ambient80

Don't really have an NBA team. I like watching Miami play just because it's always some of the best ball out there. Enjoy watching the Clippers, although apparently they're not gonna be as flashy this year. Looking forward to see if the Nets experiment will work, but I have my doubts in regards to Kidd as a coach.

reilo

If you like watching pure basketball being played, you're not gonna bother watching anyone in the Eastern Conference. Miami is loaded with the best Top 3 talent, but that doesn't mean they play the best basketball.

thekad

Banned
If you like watching pure basketball being played, you're not gonna bother watching anyone in the Eastern Conference. Miami is loaded with the best Top 3 talent, but that doesn't mean they play the best basketball.

Miami/San Antonio was the best Finals series in a long time... Miami plays a very appealing game.

I don't really see what's not pure or not that watchable about the Nets, Heat, Bulls, Hawks, or Wizards this year. Those teams are loaded with smart, unselfish players who have fun styles.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I don't really see what's not pure or not that watchable about the Nets, Heat, Bulls, Hawks, or Wizards this year. Those teams are loaded with smart, unselfish players who have fun styles.

Wizards - only if Beal throws Wall in the bushes opening night

reilo

As long as Josh Smith is on your roster, there's no such thing as fundamental basketball.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

I hope he doesnt mean only teams that run up and down the court giving up 100+ pts a game good fundamental basketball.

Forever

Banned
The above quote was in regards to a one week avatar bet or non-posting bet, not a straight up money bet. I don't like to do stupid bets for real money if the price isn't right, but just to kill all this dumb shit, I'll still take the bet and feel confident about it.

So:

Dark Faze loses $100 tonight when Heat win by 11 or more.
Forever uses an avatar of my choice for a week when the Heat win by 10 or more.
MCXC Pioneer signs all his posts for a week with "MVP is an NBA-GAF Legend. Never question the MVP" after the Heat win.

Any other objections?

Oh I almost forgot, who is your least favorite member of the Nets? Just for future reference.

reilo

5th in PPG and 1st in field goal percentage last year...their execution and efficiency is pretty darn good.

That's not the same...

The next time you see Chris Bosh attempt a three to win a game, remember my name.

That's not the same...

The next time you see Chris Bosh attempt a three to win a game, remember my name.
So they aren't fundementally sound but rank in the top 10 for steals, blocks, field goal percentage, and points per game in addition to being 2-time defending champions. Alright.

MVP

Banned
Oh I almost forgot, who is your least favorite member of the Nets? Just for future reference.

I hate Garnett and Pierce almost equally...Pierce gets the slight edge because his career is so overrated it's disgusting. I'd actually want Garnett on my team if I had one.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I thought you actually knew what you were talking about. Why were you even allowed to make this thread?

I hate the heat, but they play defense and pass the ball with the best of them. Only thing you can say is that they don't rebound but that's pretty much it.

Bulls play defense, rebound and pass the ball.

Nets have the potential to be a good passing team, than can shoot and play defense.

DY_nasty

That's not the same...

I agree on this account.

LBJ's refusal to enter the post in recent years was cringeworthy too. Chalmers running point makes Red weep in his grave. They've got better though. LBJ is a don and basically does everything a team ever needed - buts its just mindnumbing how they still can only get him and Wade to truly mesh once every 6 games or so.
So they aren't fundementally sound but rank in the top 10 for steals, blocks, field goal percentage, and points per game in addition to being 2-time defending champions. Alright.

When does Bosh taking a 3 ever make sense? Come on. They can be the best team of all time and that'd still be dumb as fuck.

reilo

I thought you actually knew what you were talking about. Why were you even allowed to make this thread?

Says the dude that thinks the Heat are gonna win 70 games plus this year. Hop off.

He's on the pistons.

I totally forgot about that.

There are times when that team is completely and utterly lost what to do offensively. The Pacers completely took them out of their game and element in the ECF, but the Heat are just so much more talented that they were still able to overcome.

A fundamentally sound team, like the Spurs, executes their gameplan game in and game out. They are consistent. We saw exactly that from them, but their talent level and athleticism just wasn't there.

If you don't understand that difference, then I don't know what to tell you.

reilo

Pointing out one questionable decision doesn't eliminate facts, try again.

Erm, it's not one time that this happens. It happens far more than you think for a team as talented as the Heat.

Watching the Celtics in their prime versus the Heat isn't even a contest as to what a difference in execution of play is, despite the former being several years older and past their prime at the time.

MVP

Banned
Says the dude that thinks the Heat are gonna win 70 games plus this year. Hop off.

Add in a healthier Wade, baby Kareem in the middle assuming his knees hold up, and a slightly more reckless version of Carmelo Anthony in Beasley, and they can't win 5 more games?

I like Miller, but lol @ anyone that thinks the Heat didn't get a LOT better this offseason, not just a little.

Oh right, I forgot the reason armchair NBA experts always give for a team falling off despite continued dominance, working harder in the offseason, improving your game, bringing in more pieces..."a year passed" lol

reilo

Baby Kareem? What? Oden? My dear lord, those two play nothing alike. You are dumb.

mrbagdt

GAME TIME APP NOW AVAILABLE ON PS3! My prayers have been answered!
Edit: reading previous posts I really hope it doesn't suck.

DY_nasty

Pointing out one questionable decision doesn't eliminate facts, try again.

They do it all the time. We're talking about play design, offensive scheme, tempo, and best usage of their players' abilities. Of course it counts lol

Its dumber than running an offense through Dwight - and that's also something that a very high scoring/efficient team did. It doesn't make it good basketball.

But good basketball doesn't always win. If it did, then Larry Brown would have 20 rings between college and the NBA.

Don't get your panties in a bunch.

reilo

Almost as dumb as some of your gems..."The Heat don't play fundamentally sound basketball half of the time".

They don't. Anybody that watches the NBA for more than 30 games a season can tell you that. They're just so talented that they can overcome that (especially in the godawful East), and that's okay.

Erm, it's not one time that this happens. It happens far more than you think for a team as talented as the Heat.

Watching the Celtics in their prime versus the Heat isn't even a contest as to what a difference in execution of play is, despite the former being several years older and past their prime at the time.
This isn't an argument over who is the most fundementally sound team in the league past or present. I'm just sitting here telling you it's dumb to claim the heat have bad fundementals and are bad offensively when stats say others. Numbers are the closet thing we have to the word of God brah, don't fight them.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
GAME TIME APP NOW AVAILABLE ON PS3! My prayers have been answered!
Edit: reading previous posts I really hope it doesn't suck.

All I know the 360 app was terrible when I tried to use it last season. It buffered constantly. Also, it's a solid minute behind.

But, please, I'd love to know how the PS3 app is. It can't be worse, right?

MVP

Banned
They don't. Anybody that watches the NBA for more than 30 games a season can tell you that. They're just so talented that they can overcome that (especially in the godawful East), and that's okay.

It all depends on what you consider fundamentally sound. When you use Bosh shooting a 3 as a reason they don't, it makes it sound as if youre saying they win despite horrible decisions, just because they're talented.

If you mean they mix it up well and keep opposing coaches scratching their heads because Spoelstra is a wizard, then ok I guess. Fundamentally sound = predictable.

DY_nasty

This isn't an argument over who is the most fundementally sound team in the league current or present. I'm just sitting here telling you it's dumb to claim the heat have bad fundementals and are bad offensively when stats say others. Numbers are the closet thing we have to the word of God brah, don't fight them.

I don't think its BAD. Just that it isn't best in the league. I don't think anyone will say they play terrible basketball. That's absurd hyperbole.

Top Bottom