• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Pre-Season |OT| Nobody won more with less than Lebron. Maybe Phil Jackson

Virgingaming. Com

they partner with 2k. From their site there are different pay lobbies from $1-$32. Someone challenges you, then you go to 2k online tournaments section and the match is setup for you. Can also go to open lobby and challenge for whatever amount of $$ you want. You play and results are sent back to the website. Keeps track of record and there's a feedback system. There's leader boards for highest ft %, fg% etc and you get paid for that too.

Cash out they money goes to your PayPal account and there you go.

oh shit

im about to get paid

charsace

Virgingaming. Com

they partner with 2k. From their site there are different pay lobbies from $1-$32. Someone challenges you, then you go to 2k online tournaments section and the match is setup for you. Can also go to open lobby and challenge for whatever amount of $$ you want. You play and results are sent back to the website. Keeps track of record and there's a feedback system. There's leader boards for highest ft %, fg% etc and you get paid for that too.

Cash out they money goes to your PayPal account and there you go.
Holy fuck. Getting paid to tap your ass might get me back into 2k.

diehard

Fleer
Watched Kanter's highlights from last night..... Dude is gonna be soooo good and he runs the floor so well.
How was his defense?

I wonder how well G-TYME will get to the line this season?

His defense is usually pretty solid, sometimes he struggles defending the high pick-and-roll.

Hayward will get to the line pretty well but might literally be our only shot creator and will probably shoot a low percentage because nobody will be defending RJ or John Lucas.

I'm just hoping Burke and Rush come back soon so we can at least be gelling for the future.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Carmelo is such a jerk.

I'm coming home, I'm coming home!.. Yeah, right, YOU BIG JERK!

He's going home. Back to Denver clearly.

Seriously though this is a really shitty situation for the Knicks. They can't trade him and they can't tell him to shut the hell up or do anything that would annoy him either.

Kobe24

"I have self-doubt," Bryant says. "I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. I have nights when I show up at the arena and I'm like, 'My back hurts, my feet hurt, my knees hurt. I don't have it. I just want to chill.' We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it. ... I don't know how I'm going to come back from this injury. I don't know. Maybe I'll be horses---." He pauses, as if envisioning himself as an eighth man. "Then again, maybe I won't, because no matter what, my belief is that I'm going to figure it out. Maybe not this year or even next year, but I'm going to stay with it until I figure it out."

Summer of 1991 and Bryant enrolls in the Sonny Hill Community Involvement League in Philadelphia. He has spent the past seven years in Italy, where Jellybean was a pro, and nobody on the club circuit overseas could stop the kid. "Then I came back here, and in that first summer I didn't score a point," Bryant says. "I'm serious. Not one point. My dad was a Philly legend. My uncle [Chubby Cox] was a Philly legend. And I'm out there with these big ol' volleyball kneepads looking like the Cable Guy. I had really bad Osgood-Schlatter disease, so even tapping my knees gave me serious pain. The league was probably 25 games, and I didn't score a basket, a free throw, nothing. At the end I sobbed my eyes out." That fall Jellybean joins a team in Mulhouse, France. The Bryant family moves into a villa with a tennis court and a basketball hoop that's 11 feet high. "Whatever, it was a hoop," Bryant says. "I played there all day long, and the only thing I thought about was, One basket, one basket, one basket. Just score one basket. When I went back to Sonny Hill the next summer, I wasn't dominating anybody, but I scored. I figured out, If you keep pushing, you'll keep getting better."

Summer of 1994 and Bryant struggles to sleep in a dorm room at Fairleigh Dickinson in Hackensack, N.J. He has earned one of the precious spots at the Adidas-sponsored ABCD camp, but he's not sure if he belongs. "I was lucky to grow up in Italy at a time when basketball in America was getting f----- up with AAU shuffling players through on strength and athleticism," Bryant says. "I missed all that, and instead I was taught extreme fundamentals: footwork, footwork, footwork, how to create space, how to handle the ball, how to protect the ball, how to shoot the ball. I wasn't the strongest kid at that camp. I wasn't the fastest. I wasn't the most athletic. I was probably the most skillful, but that didn't matter. It was all about the 360 windmill dunks.
"

Winter of 1996 and Lower Merion has a chance to win its first state championship in 53 years. Vaunted Chester High is waiting in the semifinals. "They'd already beaten us a couple of times with Kobe," Downer says. "The week of the game, our starters were competing pretty hard with the subs, and there was a collision diving for a loose ball. I look over and see Kobe lying on the floor in a pool of his own blood. All your worst fears are realized in that moment. He's got a broken nose heading into one of the most electric games in a long time. We spent a couple days frantically trying to find a mask that would fit him. The day of the game, at the Palestra, he warmed up with the mask on. But in the locker room, right before we went out on the court, he ripped it off in front of everybody. He threw it against the wall and yelled, 'I'm not wearing this thing! Let's go to war!' He scored 39 points. We won."

"I went right back to L.A. and changed my whole weight training program. I had to start lifting during the season so what happened in Utah would never happen again." That summer Spike Lee begins filming He Got Game, a movie with Denzel Washington about a basketball prodigy named Jesus Shuttlesworth. "I want you to be part of it," Lee tells Bryant. "Thank you but no thank you," Bryant says. "This summer is too big for me." Ray Allen lands the role as Shuttlesworth.

Winter of 1999 and Bryant is bracing for his third straight season coming off the bench. "I was looking at Ray Allen and Allen Iverson, guys I came into the league with, who were already starting and kicking ass," Bryant says. "I'm sitting here on the bench thinking, I'm just as good. Why aren't I playing?" Jellybean puts similar questions to Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak, who explains the benefits of patience, but Jellybean's son is still years away from comprehending that concept. Bryant takes out his rage on the starters, punishing them in practice to prove a point. "I had to kick their ass every day," he says.

Bryant develops a penchant for dribbling through five defenders at a time, which earns him the nickname Hollywood. "That's not the name you want," cautions Lakers executive vice president Jerry West, so Bryant reduces his dribbling exhibitions and bolsters his midrange game. "On the team plane we had Shaquille O'Neal in the aisle doing the Macarena," says Del Harris, the coach of the Lakers at the time, "and Kobe watching tape of Jordan." Before the 1999 opener, small forward Rick Fox complains of sore feet because his shoe insoles don't fit properly. Bryant's days on the bench are over. No one calls him Hollywood anymore. "If I'd been allowed to start right away," he says, "who knows what would have happened to me."

Winter of 2001, Phil Jackson is the Lakers' coach, and Fox is addressing the team in a players-only meeting. "Kobe," he says, "you can do anything you want on the court, but it's like you don't need us. We want to feel like you need us." Bryant tries not to roll his eyes. You're grown-ass men, he thinks. And you're right: I don't f------ need you. Then he considers the courage it took for Fox to speak up. "I had to respond," Bryant says. "I had to be as transparent with them as they were with me. I opened myself up to let them know what my insecurities are. 'Sometimes I do shoot too much. It's not because I see you open and don't want to pass. I don't see you at all. My mind is built on scoring the ball. That's a weakness. So if you're open, say something. Give me a shout. ...' Once your culture becomes such that your leader communicates, then everybody does the same. We still didn't hang out together off the court, but on the road we'd all go out for dinner. I learned that a lot gets accomplished over dinner and a drink."

Summer of 2004 and news breaks that O'Neal has been traded to Miami. This is great! Bryant thinks, the end of a tumultuous year in which he feuded with O'Neal, nearly signed with the Clippers and made court appearances in Colorado for a sexual assault civil case that was later settled. "Then everything sinks in, and it's like, Oh, no, now you better win or your whole career is basically bulls---," Bryant says. "Those last three championships you won will be meaningless."

Summer of 2007 and O.J. Mayo, the No. 1 high school player in the country, attends the Kobe Basketball Academy at Loyola Marymount. Mayo asks Bryant if they can work out together. "Yeah," Bryant responds, "I'll pick you up at three." The next evening Mayo sees Bryant and asks, "Where were you?" Bryant looks confused. "Three in the morning," he says. "Not three in the afternoon." Mayo slinks away. The back-patting era, however long it lasted, is over. "I can't relate to lazy people," Bryant says, speaking generally, not about Mayo.

L.A. is about to be swept and Howard is about to leave for Houston, where he will forfeit $30 million and avoid discomfort. But Bryant is the rare modern athlete whose presence can transcend playoff results and free-agent decisions. Sometimes, just seeing him is enough. "The long year, the injuries, the Shaq stuff, the Phil stuff, it all came to a head when I walked out to the bench," says Bryant, who was serenaded with a standing ovation and MVP chants. "It was the first time I ever felt that kind of love from a crowd. Oh, my God, I was fighting back the tears."

Kobe Shuttlesworth?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Yeah, but none of the did it with the Cavs. There have to be bonus points for accomplishing that feat in the City of LosersTM. PEACE.

Orlando was an expansion franchise and Houston was Cleveland at the time. gtfo.

reilo

well i guess we know you didn't watch the game then.

You can still have one bad defensive game and be a good overall defender. Quit taking everything so literally. It'll be okay. Enjoy your 30-something-win season. I'll enjoy mine.

diehard

Fleer
You can still have one bad defensive game and be a good overall defender. Quit taking everything so literally. It'll be okay. Enjoy your 30-something-win season. I'll enjoy mine.

Im just happy you think we will get to 30-something wins.

I don't know if i would say he is a "good" defender yet.. but Lopez scored mostly on cleanup shots last night.

thekad

Banned
Does Omer Asik employ David Thorpe or something? Thorpe called him the best rebounder in the world and floated the idea that Miami should trade Bosh for Asik...

reilo

Im just happy you think we will get to 30-something wins.

I don't know if i would say he is a "good" defender yet.. but Lopez scored mostly on cleanup shots last night.

Boxing out and grabbing defensive rebounds is part of playing defense.

Does Omer Asik employ David Thorpe or something? Thorpe called him the best rebounder in the world and floated the idea that Miami should trade Bosh for Asik...

Probably. You can always tell who cuts Thorpe's paycheck.

reilo

So is rotating to help , leaving your man to get said rebound.

Knowing when to rotate is part of playing good defense :p

Just like biting on every pumpfake or leaving your man to attempt to block every shot (looking at you, Ibaka) is also not good defense.

Ropez is a good offensive player. Kanter missed some boxouts and rotations, but he's generally okay defensively and it's just preseason and he was going up against a 7'2 guy who can really offensive rebound and score efficiently. He's not explosive enough to protect the paint that well or quick enough to be a great pick-and-roll defender, but he does well enough.

reilo

Ropez is a good offensive player. Kanter missed some boxouts and rotations, but he's generally okay defensively and it's just preseason and he was going up against a 7'2 guy who can really offensive rebound and score efficiently. He's not explosive enough to protect the paint that well or quick enough to be a great pick-and-roll defender, but he does well enough.

Which is all I said and diehard took it as me calling him terrible defensively.

Since when?

reilo

JonesOnTheNBA: This is how you knew the Wiggins shoe deal #’s were bs. #1 overall rookie shoe deal was 7 years 100 mil (Bron), #2 7 years, 60 mil (KD)

Wiggins ain't that.

ibxaipKL7KKow0.gif

KD is dunking that not laying it up.

reilo

If Curry doesn't finish his career as the best 3PT shooter of all time (barring injury), then I'll be shocked:

HO9OLTe.png

His career trajectory is insane.

Lowball him. Let him walk if he gets a better offer. He's missed almost 3 NBA seasons out of an 8 year career so far.

Well he's not a FA until after this year. But if the W's lock him up now, they potentially get him at a discount for 3 years. The thing is even an unhealthy Bogut was a huge defensive presence. I dunno there are parallels to Curry's contract negotiations last year.

If Curry stays even moderately healthy he'll probably retire as the best shooter of all time.

He's excellent at shooting the ball anywhere outside the paint, where's he's actually below average.

So I'm looking for a team to root for. Someone recommend me one. I don't have a local team so taking all suggestions. I suppose I could jump on the Heat bandwagon.

SUPREME1

Banned
If Curry doesn't finish his career as the best 3PT shooter of all time (barring injury), then I'll be shocked:

HO9OLTe.png

His career trajectory is insane.

Couldn't find him on the chart at first, he's that good. Wow.

Is there a way to see his % on the first four shots compared to the last three?

Is there a noticeable drop off? If not, he should take another two per game. Because fuck it, why not.

reilo

Couldn't find him on the chart at first, he's that good. Wow.

Is there a way to see his % on the first four shots compared to the last three?

Is there a noticeable drop off? If not, he should take another two per game. Because fuck it, why not.

That's a good question. Tweet it to @statcenter and see if they can come up with something.

Top Bottom