• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Pre-Season |OT| Nobody won more with less than Lebron. Maybe Phil Jackson

And that's all I'm saying. You take that chance, especially if you pair him up with a decent center that actually can produce unlike Perkins.

Except that he doesn't have any real chance. He's a terrible offensive player who is probably too undersized to make much of a difference defensively (though he might if he focuses entirely there and works incredibly hard). Even if Robinson becomes a solid defender, there is basically no chance of him getting to Ibaka's level offensively going by his skill level and rookie production.

KingGondo

Banned
Everyone except Gondo, Presti, Perk, and his agent called that contract trash the moment it was given to him. That wasn't risky, that was just dumb. Everyone knows when rookie contracts expire and you could telegraph the issue years ahead with giving Perk that contract. Plenty of people did. Perk wasn't worth a guaranteed $8mil/yr then, and he's especially not worth it now. Let's not forget that OKC could've just amnestied Perk! They had a way out of this mess!
http://dailythunder.com/2013/05/should-the-thunder-amnesty-kendrick-perkins/

This article does a good job explaining why amnestying Perk wouldn't have solved anything.

reilo said:
Hey Gondo, what was your opinion of Ibaka after his rookie season? Did he also need to play a meaningful NBA game, or were you all over him to become a starter in this league? Be honest.
I liked Ibaka, but he was raw and needed a lot of work. He also needed the right role.

I certainly wasn't comparing him to established PFs to make some kind of bizarre point.
in the right opportunity is at least potentially as good as Ibaka
Wow, that's a lot of fucking caveats.

IWMTB said:
Thomas Robinson has never been able to make jumpshots or block shots in his entire life (or really do anything other than rebound and postup on guys way weaker than him), but he could be as good as Ibaka on the right team.
So what you're saying is that even if Robinson ends up being a good player, he'll be completely different than Ibaka? So what was reilo's point again?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Except that he doesn't have any real chance. He's a terrible offensive player who is probably too undersized to make much of a difference defensively (though he might if he focuses entirely there and works incredibly hard). Even if Robinson becomes a solid defender, there is basically no chance of him getting to Ibaka's level offensively going by his skill level and rookie production.

You're saying he has no chance of ever becoming decent offensively? That's kind of... odd. He's nowhere near as awkward or inept as a lot of many big man projects. Hell, what offensive skill did Ibaka show when he first came into the league? To say that Robinson doesn't have the ability to replace what Ibaka gives (which imo, is not much since he can't create for himself) is odd.

Even someone like Joakim Noah is able to provide offensively, and he has zero skillset.

http://dailythunder.com/2013/05/should-the-thunder-amnesty-kendrick-perkins/

This article does a good job explaining why amnestying Perk wouldn't have solved anything.

I liked Ibaka, but he was raw and needed a lot of work. He also needed the right role.

I certainly wasn't comparing him to established PFs to make some kind of bizarre point.

Now read again what I said about Robinson. Sound familiar?

Wow, that's a lot of fucking caveats.

It's literally one caveat.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Holy shit, Noah and Hinrich are hurt already and may miss the season opener?

Noah hasn't even done anything, how can he be hurt already?

KingGondo

Banned
When I woke up this morning, I certainly didn't expect to spend a significant part of my day arguing for the merits of Serge Ibaka over Thomas Robinson.

On a related note, apples are way fucking better than oranges. Anyone who disagrees can ead.

Robinson may not be any more awkward than a random 19 year old center, but that's kind of irrelevant. Huge centers don't need skill since they can just dunk on everyone, Robinson is undersized so he cannot do this. Robinson went through three years of college and still cannot make layups or jumpers and can't postup or do anything with the ball. Robinson had an ORtg of 90 last year, I don't think you can name a big man who became effective offensively who was that insanely inefficient in his rookie season (especially after three years of college).

thomas robinson was surprised when he showed up to kings training camp and learned that nba players still had to watch film

i think that about wraps it up for him

reilo

When I woke up this morning, I certainly didn't expect to spend a significant part of my day arguing for the merits of Serge Ibaka over Thomas Robinson.

On a related note, apples are way fucking better than oranges. Anyone who disagrees can ead.

But you're not arguing that. You are arguing Ibaka and Perkins over Harden, Robinson, and Lopez. That was just one example I threw out there that the Thunder could've done to pave a way to a Finals return. Robinson and Lopez don't really matter, they are just variables. I'm sure someone can come up with a combo that would make even more sense. I just threw out something Presti easily could've pulled off.

I'm sorry, but YNB, Durant, and Ibaka aren't a Finals core. You need that other player, and it was Harden. But management would rather pay Ibaka and Perk $20mil than Harden a max (which is still less than $20mil/yr). That's the argument.

As far as Robinson goes, he is no worse a prospect than Ibaka after his rookie year, and certainly a much better one than Jeremy Lamb.

KingGondo

Banned
reilo said:
As far as Robinson goes, he is no worse a prospect than Ibaka after his rookie year, and certainly a much better one than Jeremy Lamb.
This is all so hypothetical. I can argue that Steven Adams is a better prospect now than Meyers Leonard was before his rookie season, but I won't because who gives a fuck.

But Jeremy Lamb doe
Lamb of God gonna silence the critics sooner or later, just like Harden did.

reilo

This is all so hypothetical. I can argue that Steven Adams is a better prospect now than Meyers Leonard was before his rookie season, but I won't because who gives a fuck.p

You're talking to the guy that was telling everyone not to trust an American born white center taking in the lottery.

Lamb of God gonna silence the critics sooner or later, just like Harden did.

Not as silent as you'll be watching him chuck up garbage on a 35-win team after Durant bolts for another city.

Tom Penny

Fuck the 76ers. Celtics can't even out tank them

Sixers coach Brett Brown said before Monday’s 104-93 setback to Cleveland in Columbus, Ohio. “You have six NBA players and then you have a bunch of guys who are fighting for spots and want to be seen and need opportunity.”

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
If you need a night to prepare yourself for the shit load of games incoming, 2nite is the nite.

I see Gondo hasn't gone through all the stages of grief, yet.

I expect by mid-season he'll be there.

Nah he's given himself lots of outs.

In order for him to turn on that trade some combination of the following would need to occur:

-Lamb doesn't develope into a starter
-Ibaka continues to refuse to take the thunderstone
-Durant leaves OKC
-YN leaves OKC
-OKC doesn't get to the Finals while Durant is there
-Adams doesn't become NBA material
-OKC doesn't add to its core in any meaningful way via trade or FA

and even then he might still be in denial.

Gondo, everyone knew Ibaka over Harden was a mistake. It was obvious, just accept it and try not to be sad when you get knocked out in the second round.

Vire

Oh my god. That play was amazing. Wish someone could gif that.

Check bounce pass to Dwyane, too high, behind the back pass back to Lebron for monster dunk.

Top Bottom