• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Pre-Season |OT| Nobody won more with less than Lebron. Maybe Phil Jackson

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Last week of pre-season.

Next week a new OT.

2013-14 NBA November |OT| Staples Center looking to cover up the shame, with prescription strength Clippers

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
In more important news, Harden and Howard were unstoppable juggernauts last night.

McHale should be able to run a good amount of the twin tower lineup against teams that run two traditional bigs which happens to be most contenders: Chicago, Indiana, San Antonio, Memphis, LAC, Golden State. It will probably be better going small against OKC and Miami though.

Man Harden is such a weird NBA player. He reminds me of that old guy that shows up at the playground and just schools everyone. Everything he does looks like it can be stopped, yet defenders keep getting burned. Fun dude to watch play.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/books/review/j-j-abrams-by-the-book.html

JJ Abrams said:
What books and authors have your three children introduced you to?

Like most bipedal parents, we all discovered Harry Potter together, reading the books aloud to our kids. But one of my favorite children’s authors was introduced to us by our youngest son. When he was in kindergarten he brought home some books by Mo Willems, who has one of the most remarkable comedic voices I’ve ever read. His sense of humanity — of heart and generosity — is staggering. I was so blown away, I got his number from his agent and called him. I was essentially a sycophant, expressing what a deep fan of his I am, how I would love to work together one day. He was quiet on the phone, almost monosyllabic, disinterested. Frankly it was a bit of an odd reaction. It wasn’t until the next day that I discovered that I had, in error, called Mo Williams of the Portland Trail Blazers.

LOL

Forever

Banned
D-Will might play today.

deron3.jpg
Hasn't looked this fit since Utah.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
We were the number one seed in the West last year, it's not insane to think we could chip this season.

And the Pacers undeniably got better. I like them a lot.

You ain't doing shit especially with Westbrook out another month and then some. And the Thunder got arguably worse.

And has Vogel learned how to run an offensive set yet?

Pimpwerx

I dont get why it's such a bad thing to say Spo is just an Ok coach who is blessed that he happens to have the best player in the league. It's like unless you say he's god its an insult.

Mike Brown won 60 games a year almost with Bron and I don't think anyone would put him in the top ten coaches list. Same with Brooks in okc. In the NBA it's the players that count a lot more some times.

Spo is a good coach and nit exactly mike brown teir but it's not an insult to say he's not a great coach because he's not. He has the too player and two top 15 players... It's hard not to be successful with that.

It's ignorant is what it is. Spo was a good coach before he got the Big3.

Other coaches have had championship level rosters and failed miserably. Once Spo got championship level talent, he was contending for championships. People like to bring up Dallas in 2011. Besides the fact that Spo admits to his shortcomings (in only his 3rd year as a HC), the roster past the starting 5 was injured or garbage. Only 7 guys from that roster remain. And JJ had about as many important contributions to the last two rings as I did. The first year was the year they were most-likely to lose, and even then, it took 6 games of incredible play from the Mavs to beat them in the final series of the season. It wasn't like they flopped horribly.

Bron never liked to play the 4, and fought all his coaches on it. He now plays the 4 readily. Not on coaching? Bosh hated playing the 5. Complained about it to no end. He now plays the 5 readily. Not on coaching? Bosh was viewed as a poor defender in Toronto. Now he's an integral piece of our heavy-trapping pnr defense. Not on coaching? Shane's guarding 4s on a regular basis. Ray is handling the ball a lot more than Doc allowed, and is initiating pnrs. Bosh plays the 5, but spends most of his time out on the perimeter shooting midrange or 3s. Ray was disappointed with coming off the bench in Boston, but now embraces his role as microwave offense. These are all coaching decsions. On top of that, the team remains Top10 in ORTG and DRTG every year. That's something I don't remember any Nelly team accomplishing.

Once again, Pop and Vogel both made the same decision that armchairs ripped apart after they lost. They were forced into tough coaching decisions by smart coaching moves made by Spo. When Bosh went down, the great Pat Riley said go big. Spo went smaller. That's a coaching decision. He's doing it his way, but he's finding far more success than anyone else who's tried it. A big part of it is the talent he's got to work with, but you can have all the attachments and gadgets on the finest gun made, but if you can't shoot straight, it's worthless. You have to use the talent you got, and someone like Doc didn't show that same ability. Say what you will, but when the excuse for failure is "Perkins was injured", then you're not maximizing your actual talent. Perkins is ten shades of shit. That's not the reason the Celtics failed to achieve more than they did.

Phil Jackson gets a lot of praise and acclaim, but name one ring he got as a coach with anything less than a talented roster. You don't win rings without talent. It's whether or not you can get all the pieces to fit and work together that makes the difference between a good coach and a great coach. Spo's gotten the guys to buy in. They now spout his Spoisms regularly. They have confidence in him because they've seen the success it brings. I think it's just plain ignorant to dismiss him as an okay or average coach. Especially when some of you turn and praise someone like Thibs who runs his teams into the ground, before getting pounded by Miami, or Phil who has won all his titles with a GOAT player or two on his teams. We get it, y'all don't like Miami. Waaaaah! It doesn't mean you can't be objective. PEACE.

EDIT: Damn! That ended up being a lot longer than I realized. LOL!

Mik317

Why is above average an insult. There aren't many great coaches in the league. Besides it is difficult to call him a great coach when he has been blessed with having top 5 players Damn near his entire career.

It's isn't exactly difficult to win with LeBron. Mike Brown isn't a good coach and he did it. So calling Spo an above average coach isn't exactly slighting his name here.

Above average means he is good but not great... So wha is the problem?

He was solid during Miami's horribad years (not that you would know that). It's not even a slight against the man. When you coach a stacked team all your job really comes down to is managing egos and keeping everyone focused. He got out coached his first finals trip and He has had his card pulled without consequence more than a few times.

It's not even a slight against the man, he's a solid B tier coach. He's better than Brooks by a good amount.

KingGondo

Banned
It's not even a slight against the man, he's a solid B tier coach. He's better than Brooks by a good amount.
I don't want to believe it, but I'm pretty sure Thabeet is gonna get more minutes than Adams for a good portion of the season because of Brooks.

He is so god damned rigid with his rotations and working young guys into the lineup...

He's a top 5 coach, that's great. The "argument" that Lebron is doing everything is bullshit. Coaches implement the defensive schemes, which have produced top five rankings even before Lebron thought about coming south. Coaches implement offense and i don't know why this is forgotten but we we're absolutely horrible in 2011. Basically ATL Hawks ball with 3 superstars. Coaches create lineups and Spo has us thriving playing small ball. Spo is incredibly smart and even the other great coaches(pop/doc) give him is credit as a great coach.

It's not so much as saying he is "above average" being a slight, it's the fact that you all can't even be bothered to muster up an objective argument.

He was solid during Miami's horribad years (not that you would know that). It's not even a slight against the man. When you coach a stacked team all your job really comes down to is managing egos and keeping everyone focused. He got out coached his first finals trip and He has had his card pulled without consequence more than a few times.

And he's raised two banners since, "pulling cards" along the way. Really, what is your point? What is your argument?

I think coaches get too much credit in the NBA nowadays. It's not like college where a coach commands a Bob Knight like fear from players. Players in the NBA aren't really receptive to that type of coaching. Only Pop can pull off that authoritarian method. Ultimately it's up to the players themselves to nut up and go for the chip and that's exactly what the Heat did.

Nevertheless lineup matchups and minutes are a very important part of winning in the NBA. Spo for all the shit people give him is meh on lineups but manages minutes pretty well

Mik317

You are so defensive. It's like any statement involving the Heat that doesn't state that everything about them is gdlk is some major offense.

Spo isn't a top 5 coach. Because if he was then he would have won with just Wade. It is very difficult to give a guy That much credit when he has the best player in the league... Sorry that comes with the territory. Lebron is just that good..

So unless you consider Carslile a top 5 coach too them fine.

Unless we ate just talking about current coaches then maybe... Although that may be due to half the damn league having new coaches

Keeping Chris Smith reeks of JD & The Straight Shot.

:jnc

On the one hand, the Knicks kept Toure Murry - which suggests that they might actually be interested in basketball-related roster moves. On the other hand...they cut pretty much everyone else just to keep easily the worst player on the Summer League/preseason roster, presumably because he's JR's brother?

Maybe they'll wait until his guaranteed money kicks in, and then cut him too right? Right?

The idea that being top 5 makes you great is plain dumb.

Pop Thibs and Doc are the only coaches who I'd call great. With Pop being in a tier by himself.

Chicago, San Antonio and LAC would fall over laughing if you asked if they'd swap their coach for Spo.

You are so defensive. It's like any statement involving the Heat that doesn't state that everything about them is gdlk is some major offense.

Spo isn't a top 5 coach. Because if he was then he would have won with just Wade. It is very difficult to give a guy That much credit when he has the best player in the league... Sorry that comes with the territory. Lebron is just that good..

So unless you consider Carslile a top 5 coach too them fine.

Unless we ate just talking about current coaches then maybe... Although that may be due to half the damn league having new coaches
Of course I'm talking currently. And I already said, I don't need any praise, I want an good objective arguement, which you don't seem capable of. Other than trying to spin, "but but he had the best player" 10 different ways.

Pop Thibs and Doc are the only coaches who I'd call great. With Pop being in a tier by himself.

Chicago, San Antonio and LAC would fall over laughing if you asked if they'd swap their coach for Spo.
Arguing without making an argument is pretty dumb. And the laker hired mike fucking brown an dantoni to coach a "dream team", your arguments have zero weight....

I think Adelman is very good.

But I still am of the belief that most of coaching is just the rotations and with lebron/Wade/Bosh/ it's kind of hard to fuck that up. I mean, does anyone not believe the Heat would win the title if the coach was Monty Williams?

OKC was a 9 SRS team last year and has one of the best scorers of all time on their roster, I don't think it's that insane for some to pick them to win the title.

Spo isn't a top 5 coach. Because if he was then he would have won with just Wade.

Those rosters were total shit, wtf.

My top 5 is Pop, Vogel, Spo, Thibs, and Adelman but I mostly just view coaching as a motivational thing. Spo has been very good at managing the egos of his team and even got something that wasn't league bottom play out of Beasley for a year.

Mik317

You don't want and arguement tho. You just want everyone to agree with you and those who don't are thus not on your level and aren't putting forth an objective arguement.

Like you really take offense to the idea that someone may not think that Spo is more than just a solid good coach. It's not like people are even saying he's shit.. Or atleast I'm not.

Jeff-DSA

OKC was a 9 SRS team last year and has one of the best scorers of all time on their roster, I don't think it's that insane for some to pick them to win the title.

My top 5 is Pop, Vogel, Spo, Thibs, and Adelman but I mostly just view coaching as a motivational thing. Spo has been very good at managing the egos of his team and even got something that wasn't league bottom play out of Beasley for a year.

Spo actually gets divas to take some pride in defense as well. Not an easy thing these days.

Emwitus

My top 5 is Pop, Vogel, carlise, Thibs, and Adelman but I mostly just view coaching as a motivational thing. Spo has been very good at managing the egos of his team and even got something that wasn't league bottom play out of Beasley for a year.

Fixed.

I like Spo a lot. Main thing I like is you never get the feeling that he didn't give a guy a fair shot. It's my number one grip with coaches. I've seen Spo give end of the bench guys more run than tanking teams. I feel like he outcoached Pop last year and that was the difference. Pop didn't trust his guys. He didn't give T-Mac or Blair any run, showed preferential treatment to Manu despite team destroying play, etc.

Not sure how much Spo is responsible for the defense, but they've done an absolutely amazing job with their trap defense.

So he's a players coach with solid x's and o's, great rotations, and a good locker room guy.

spo is a great coach.
he's managing gigantic egos and succeeding at the same time.
but this is gaf, dick measuring is a must.
anti-spo is measuring when the dick is limp.
iamshadowdork is measuring when the dick is throbbing hard as a rock and with the genital hair trimmed to boot.

Top Bottom