• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Pre-Season |OT| Nobody won more with less than Lebron. Maybe Phil Jackson

Forever

Banned
what the fuck
Oh man. I can't wait to find out what this is all about.

edit: Damn.

Mike Miller, a popular and contributing piece of two Heat championship teams before the team released him in July, is strongly considering filing a lawsuit against the team because he believes the franchise bears some responsibility for him being swindled by a con man, his attorney tells us.

Miller, who now plays for the Memphis Grizzlies, lost $1.7 million in a scam allegedly orchestrated by Haider Zafar, a South Beach bling king who presented himself as a member of a wealthy Pakistani family.

According to Miller's complaint that has been drawn up but not yet filed, a Heat employee introduced Miller to Zafar, and Zafar used $700,000 of the money he stole from Miller to pay for courtside Heat tickets.

Settlement talks between Miller and the Heat have stalled. Miller asked for that $700,000 back from the Heat, plus attorney’s fees, but “the parties were far apart,” Miller’s attorney, Andrew Fine, said.

In the potential lawsuit, Miller is seeking a lot more: the entire $1.7 million that he lost in Zafar’s scam.

According to the complaint which I obtained, Zafar last December agreed to spend $3 million over three seasons for Heat courtside seats and other benefits but did not submit payment.

A month later, Zafar asked Stephen Weber, who was then the Heat’s executive vice president/sales, to introduce him to “Heat players with businesses Zafar… could invest in.”

According to the complaint, Miller, “at Weber’s urging, met with Zafar at Heat offices,” and Weber told Miller that Zafar was “the real deal.”

The complaint said at the time of that January meeting, the Heat and Weber “knew that Zafar had not paid his obligation to the Heat and had disclosed he was using a false, or at least, unofficial, identity and had disclosed he was under IRS investigation.”

Miller and Zafar then began a relationship in which Miller allegedly was defrauded of $2 million, of which $300,000 was eventually repaid to Miller.

In February, Miller sent Zafar $2 million to invest in what Zafar portrayed as a private investment fund with a high-interest yield. Fine said Zafar had access to no such fund and ended up keeping most of Miller’s money.

Zafar, who is imprisoned in Ohio awaiting trial on fraud charges in an unrelated case, also reneged on a promise to invest $40 million in three of Miller’s businesses.

Miller determined that Zafar was a fraud in late April. Until that point, “Weber continued to vouch for Zafar even though he never paid” some of the $1 million due the Heat, according to Miller's complaint.

Between February and April, Zafar paid $700,000 of the money due for the courtside tickets. Miller's complaint claims that cash was money that Zafar stole from Miller, and the Heat needs to give that money back to Miller.

“Prior to introducing Zafar to Miller and prior to representing that Zafar was a suitable business and investment partner, the Heat… and Weber had a duty to fully investigate whether that patron was, in fact, a suitable partner,” Miller’s complaint says.

“Upon discovering information that would have led a reasonable person to conclude that Zafar was a fraud,… the Heat and Weber had a duty to notify Miller, instead of continuing to endorse Zafar…. Due to the acts and omission of the Heat and Weber, Zafar was able to steal a large amount of money from Miller.

Heat forwards James Jones and Rashard Lewis also were defrauded by Zafar and suffered undisclosed losses
, but neither is pursuing claims against the team.

Vire

Apparently Mike Miller was apart of some elaborate scam orchestrated by this "Pakistani South Beach Bling King", and he believes that the Heat bare some responsibility because they introduced this person to him.

Heat forwards James Jones and Rashard Lewis also were defrauded by Zafar and suffered undisclosed losses, but neither is pursuing claims against the team.

Fine said Miller “has good feelings for the organization. He just feels like they should accept their share of responsibility for this situation.”
This all seems like sleazy tabloid shit. I don't know if this is real.

Sources told ESPN.com that Hayward remains likely to land an extension before the deadline, with negotiations expected to pick up in pace this weekend after the team returns from a weeklong road trip in Southern California.

Official numbers on Favors' extension obtained by ESPN.com show that 2010's No. 2 overall pick received a four-year deal that guarantees just over $47.7 million. Sources indicate that Hayward's deal could still wind up higher than Favors' contract, given the strong interest leaguewide in the former Butler star and the fears in Utah that Hayward would attract even more lucrative offer sheets in free agency from rival bidders next summer if he gets that far.

Please have it be less than $56 million.

Branduil

According to the complaint which I obtained, Zafar last December agreed to spend $3 million over three seasons for Heat courtside seats and other benefits but did not submit payment.

A month later, Zafar asked Stephen Weber, who was then the Heat’s executive vice president/sales, to introduce him to “Heat players with businesses Zafar… could invest in.”

According to the complaint, Miller, “at Weber’s urging, met with Zafar at Heat offices,” and Weber told Miller that Zafar was “the real deal.”

The complaint said at the time of that January meeting, the Heat and Weber “knew that Zafar had not paid his obligation to the Heat and had disclosed he was using a false, or at least, unofficial, identity and had disclosed he was under IRS investigation.”

Miller and Zafar then began a relationship in which Miller allegedly was defrauded of $2 million, of which $300,000 was eventually repaid to Miller.

Sounds like he has a legit case to me.

Vire

it seems like that shady ass shit happens in miami so much. not surprised

Micky should just pay up, you don't want this to get ugly. In fact, I'm surprised this found its way to the media.

Mike helped win 2 chips... with one shoe. Fucking aye, this sucks.

giri

The fact that Miller's lawyer is talking to the press would indicate that negotiations are not going well.

Thats the point that makes me think Millers case isn't that rock solid.

If he could prove that the Heat new that this guy was under investigation AND he had defaulted upon several payments then he's got a fairly solid case going forward.

Those are actually very difficult to prove though.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Doc isn't better than Spo. I have no idea where this notion comes from, but it needs to stop. Doc's never really been great at any particular thing. I think the thing he was best at was drawing up plays, but Spo's better at that too.

People don't want to give Spo credit for much, to the point where they'd rather blame Pop and Vogel for making dumb mistakes than admit Spo forced their hands. PEACE.

How did I miss this?

Doc is so much better a coach than Spo it isn't funny

Spo isn't a bad coach but let's be real...

MVP

Banned
How did I miss this?

Doc is so much better a coach than Spo it isn't funny

Spo isn't a bad coach but let's be real...

Wasn't Doc about to get fired had the Celtics not gotten KG and Ray? Werent they one of the worst teams in the league before that?

Yeah no, Doc is overrated. How many titles did they win in their Big 3 era again? Riiiiight...

Fuck yall.... Filipino Jackson is the best coach in the NBA right now.......

He's actually B-Tier as far as coach rankings are concerned. He would be fired if he were coaching a team like the Nets or something.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Wasn't Doc about to get fired had the Celtics not gotten KG and Ray? Werent they one of the worst teams in the league before that?

Yeah no, Doc is overrated. How many titles did they win in their Big 3 era again? Riiiiight...
And Spo was about to get fired because even Chris Bosh didn't respect him.

Neither is all that great. At least Doc develops guys to an extent too. Spo is nothing more than a rotation managing cheerleader. He's Vinny tier.

MVP

Banned

Neither is all that great. At least Doc develops guys to an extent too. Spo is nothing more than a rotation managing cheerleader. He's Vinny tier.

Spo was never about to get fired, that's just the story the media wanted to circulate to make things interesting and make it seem like Riley was coming down to coach.

How many rings does King Spo have? How about Vinny? Thanks for playing.

The same Spo that took the Heat to two fifth seeds even though all of you predicted the Heat had zero talent and wouldn't even sniff the playoffs IN THE SHIT east after a fifteen win season?

GTFO

Also---please give me something. Anything. Anything to show me that your opinion about who is a better or worse coach, is based off some facts instead of some half assed opinion you formed while drunk

MVP

Banned
The same Spo that took the Heat to two fifth seeds even though all of you predicted the Heat had zero talent and wouldn't even sniff the playoffs IN THE SHIT east after a fifteen win season?

GTFO

Also---please give me something. Anything. Anything to show me that your opinion about who is a better or worse coach, is based off some facts instead of some half assed opinion you formed while drunk

Brb racking up 5 consecutive playoff appearances coming into the league

Brb winning at a Red Auerbachish 66% rate, who knows where that'll be after they break the 72-10 record this year

DY_nasty

GTFO

The fuck? That was when Wade was having the best years of his career lol. All you need is one all-star to make the playoffs in the east and wade was an mvp candidate at the time. Check your boys though - because a lot of heat-age doesn't even remember who played PG before Chalmers.

Fact is they used him as a scapegoat for a potentially doomed season and he survived. That doesn't make him a great coach. Playing an all-time great and two of the top 5 at their position does not make him great.

DY_nasty

Brb racking up 5 consecutive playoff appearances coming into the league

Brb winning at a Red Auerbachish 66% rate, who knows where that'll be after they break the 72-10 record this year
Yet still lost in the finals to a team with vastly inferior talent.

He's not great. Filipino Don Nelson is probably the best analogy I've ever heard .

MVP

Banned
The fuck? That was when Wade was having the best years of his career lol. All you need is one all-star to make the playoffs in the east and wade was an mvp candidate at the time. Check your boys though - because a lot of heat-age doesn't even remember who played PG before Chalmers.

Fact is they used him as a scapegoat for a potentially doomed season and he survived. That doesn't make him a great coach. Playing an all-time great and two of the top 5 at their position does not make him great.

It's not so easy to just rack up championships with 3 great players, ask Doc lol

According to ESPN and some of you guys, Durant is supposed to be an all-time great, and they have Harden and Westbrook at top 5. So OKC had 3 of the top 5 players in the league, that got them one single win in the Finals. So "easy".

Blablurn

Heat opening game uniforms:

htbWevI.jpg

I think this current iteration of the Heat jersey design has run it's course. I liked the design of the 90's jersey. They've worn the throwback a few times, would be a nice change to see that become the regular uniform. But then again, fuck the heat.

I like what I see here

KingGondo

Banned
Seriously?

Thats disgusting.
What's wrong with it?

As long as it's initiated and led by the Polynesian players I don't see the problem.

My original comment was in jest anyways. Especially considering the NBA's new rules limiting pregame rituals.

DY_nasty

It's not so easy to just rack up championships with 3 great players, ask Doc lol

According to ESPN and some of you guys, Durant is supposed to be an all-time great, and they have Harden and Westbrook at top 5. So OKC had 3 of the top 5 players in the league, that got them one single win in the Finals. So "easy".
Doc got guys at the end of their careers. Definitely the same as getting 3 guys in their prime. And he brought up Rondo too.

I don't even like Doc. Stop making me defend him.
We had 3 stars who hadn't gotten accustomed to sharing the ball yet, and a bunch of has beens. Is Mike Bibby even still alive?
Sounds like Mike Brown problems

MVP

Banned
Doc got guys at the end of their careers

Huh? KG led the league in all-star voting when he first got to the Celtics. Besides scoring, which shouldnt count now that you have to share the ball between three bonafide scorers, Ray Allen had some of his best years in Boston, going by FG%, 3P%, etc.

But ok, we'll call their prime the "end of their careers" so you can make your point lol

Blackace

What? lol Danny was on board for the Oden/KD tank...

He might have gotten fired if they didn't get KG because they would have been a mess

And out coached one of the greatest coaches

But we will see how he does with a truly deep team this year...

Blackace

Huh? KG led the league in all-star voting when he first got to the Celtics. Besides scoring, which shouldnt count now that you have to share the ball between three bonafide scorers, Ray Allen had some of his best years in Boston, going by FG%, 3P%, etc.

But ok, we'll call their prime the "end of their careers" so you can make your point lol

ROFL all star voting?

Yao is the greatest player then...

Ray was put in postition to do that by scheme...

DY_nasty

All-star voting determines that? Holy shit. Iverson, McGrady, and Yao will live forever then.

And I have no idea how you can say Ray had his best years anywhere but in Seattle. Same for KG in Minnesota.

Blackace

All-star voting determines that? Holy shit. Iverson, McGrady, and Yao will live forever then.

And I have no idea how you can say Ray had his best years anywhere but in Seattle. Same for KG in Minnesota.

Ray-Ray/Brent Barry duo was so awesomely awesome

Its funny how circumstantial you alls arguments against Spo are. "But they lost that one time in the finals" "Don Nelson"

Do yall actually have anything in the light of facts to back you up?

Blackace

What's funnier is being compared to a HoF coach is insulting to heat fans

Blackace

It's not insulting, it's idiotic and inconsequential.
Is it? Both are known for their abnormal lineups and uptempo pace...

Yeah idiotic...

Spo can only hope his players respect him one day like Don's did

Mik317

I dont get why it's such a bad thing to say Spo is just an Ok coach who is blessed that he happens to have the best player in the league. It's like unless you say he's god its an insult.

Mike Brown won 60 games a year almost with Bron and I don't think anyone would put him in the top ten coaches list. Same with Brooks in okc. In the NBA it's the players that count a lot more some times.

Spo is a good coach and nit exactly mike brown teir but it's not an insult to say he's not a great coach because he's not. He has the too player and two top 15 players... It's hard not to be successful with that.

Emwitus

Ask doc how he won in his first year with older talent. Didn't make the next due to an older Garnet getting injured. Made it to the finals in 10 and lost when perkins got injured or eliminated when your boy cheap ass wade broke rondo's arm? That doc? Spo will be forgotten immediately lebron leaves. People barely mention him despite getting to the finals 3 times

thekad

Banned
In more important news, Harden and Howard were unstoppable juggernauts last night.

McHale should be able to run a good amount of the twin tower lineup against teams that run two traditional bigs which happens to be most contenders: Chicago, Indiana, San Antonio, Memphis, LAC, Golden State. It will probably be better going small against OKC and Miami though.

Top Bottom