• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

I'm not saying Timmy is better than Kobe, but I do think a 34 year old Tim Duncan could have taken a team with Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, and Steve Nash to the playoffs
With the same injuries and terrible bench and inability to play 40mpg?

Of course it's hard to directly compare since no team would ever have pau Howard and Duncan.

hawks are complete trash, boston with a healthy KG and a Bulls team with Noah(or surprise rose) can definitely take the Knicks.

he really was kobe and nash today. 10 assists and 6-19 from the field.

I dont think Doc can ride an Avery Bradley/Courtney Lee/JET backcourt for a series and win, two of those guys are bad ball handlers and Pierce cant pick up their slack a whole series. The Playoffs I think is where no Rondo will really hurt them

giri

I dont think Doc can ride an Avery Bradley/Courtney Lee/JET backcourt for a series and win, two of those guys are bad ball handlers and Pierce cant pick up their slack a whole series. The Playoffs I think is where no Rondo will really hurt them

Not really, but ok.

With the same injuries and terrible bench and inability to play 40mpg?

Of course it's hard to directly compare since no team would ever have pau Howard and Duncan.
you kidding me? Timmy D and Dwight (even at 60%) would anchor that defense like a fucking rock. theyd be a 48 win team at worst

NY is completely capable of getting piped by BOS/ATL/INDY.

Where the hell did you get MIL from? Miami gets MIL then CHI or Nets

indy and chicago are the only ones besides the heat that might make us break a sweat

were going to bend boston and atlanta over and they will enjoy the pipe

linsivvi

you kidding me? Timmy D and Dwight (even at 60%) would anchor that defense like a fucking rock. theyd be a 48 win team at worst

Duncan only plays 30 minutes or less the past few seasons. The 18-20 minutes where he's not on the court the team would get destroyed. And that team would score 80 a game.

Also Pringles.

thekad

Banned
It's a ridiculous comparison. You're switching sg for c here.

It would be more assume instead of Dwight it's like melo coming off back surgery.
Melo has never been as good as Dwight. This team: Nash/Meeks/75%Lebron/Pau/Duncan would not miss the playoffs.

indy and chicago are the only ones besides the heat that might make us break a sweat

were going to bend boston and atlanta over and they will enjoy the pipe

I wouldn't be very surprised by a Knicks first round exit and less so by a second round exit.

The only teams guaranteed to get the pipe proper are whoever plays MIA and probably the bottom 3 seeds in the West.

East is ripe for a couple upsets, but they'll be of no consequence cause it's the east.

Melo has never been as good as Dwight. This team: Nash/Meeks/75%Lebron/Pau/Duncan would not miss the playoffs.

75% lebron is still top 5!

I agree melo isn't as good as Dwight but its hard coming up with a wing player.

If tp and Manu missed over 30 games a d the rest of the lapses bench swapped with lakers and hill and Blake still get hurt and green gets hurt at the end the. spurs would struggle to get in too.

The lakers played numerous games with Kobe and 60% Dwight and Morris Duhon pg rotation. Good luck winning subbing kobe for anyone not lebron and winning 50%

Duncan only plays 30 minutes or less the past few seasons. The 18-20 minutes where he's not on the court the team would get destroyed. And that team would score 80 a game.

Also Pringles.
the defense would be like it is now, but with Pau coming off the bench, LA could still score.

linsivvi

the defense would be like it is now, but with Pau coming off the bench, LA could still score.

How the hell would the Lakers score with that roster? You need guards to create your offense. Nash only played 50 games this season and only 30 minutes per. Even Steve Blake only played 39 games. Your big can't score without anyone creating for them. You have completely overlooked the injury problems with the Lakers this season.

A better comparison would be if you swap Howard with 36 years old Duncan, would the Lakers make the playoffs?

The answer is yes.

ISOM

Wtf are you talking about? Meeks is trash. Nash has missed 27+ games. Pau has missed 20+ games. Gtfoh with your insert player not named kobe and the lakers would not have missed the playoffs.

Do you understand that dwight howard just had 4 rebounds today?

Do you understand that kobe has had to play 42+ minutes three games straight because the lakers bench is so awful?

giri

okay, we'll just pretend like Rondo didnt put that team on his back last year in the ECF

You mean the series where the celtics only won games where KG showed up?

Or the fact that we can now see how hollow most of rondo's stats are.

Again, Not really, but ok.

And for the 50 games pau misses? With hill out too. You do realize the lakers played Jamison and Ron at center, right?

so...theyd be a 6th seed, 48 win team, like I said. La would take losses to better teams, but it wouldnt have those string of embarrassing losses against offensive juggernauts like Philly, Milwaukee, Washington and Phoenix.

ISOM

so...theyd be a 6th seed, 48 win team, like I said. La would take losses to better teams, but it wouldnt have those string of embarrassing losses against offensive juggernauts like Philly, Milwaukee, Washington and Phoenix.

Looking at how the heat struggled with some bad teams this very season that they should have blown out, you are just throwing shit to the wind.

Look at the heats record and look how many 5 points or less wins including overtime do they have against bad teams. And that was when you had Lebron, bosh, wade, chalmers, allen and all their consistent shooting. According to your logic the heat should of been blowing those teams out by consistent double digits.

Yet here you are saying that the lakers would not have struggled against those very same bad teams even though the lakers have even worst 3pt shooting and an even worst bench and all the injuries just because you insert lebron.

Damn delusional..

How the hell would the Lakers score with that roster? You need guards to create your offense. Nash only played 50 games this season and only 30 minutes per. Even Steve Blake only played 39 games. Your big can't score without anyone creating for them. You have completely overlooked the injury problems with the Lakers this season.

A better comparison would be if you swap Howard with 36 years old Duncan, would the Lakers make the playoffs?

The answer is yes.

LA would have a guaranteed playoff spot right now if it hadnt dropped a bunch of games to some truly horrible teams that have some of the worst ranked offenses in the league. Youre goddamn right I think that shit doesnt happen with Duncan, even at 25 mpg.

thekad

Banned
Kawhi missed a month. Parker missed 10 games and is playing hurt. Manu has been injured for the past three years and Dincan also got hurt and missed games. #1 seed.

But almost an entire season of Kobe and Dwight, disregarding the other two HOFs they play with, is struggling to make the playoffs.

Duncan just lost to the lebron and wade less heat. So yeah, they would lose those games.

ISOM

LA would have a guaranteed playoff spot right now if it hadnt dropped a bunch of games to some truly horrible teams that have some of the worst ranked offenses in the league. Youre goddamn right I think that shit doesnt happen with Duncan, even at 25 mpg.

Yeah it's very easy to insert your delusional fantasies, everything seems to work out right in your head lol.

linsivvi

The Lakers also won some games they wouldn't have if they didn't score 110 points. In your scenario the Lakers would never be able to do that.

Kawhi missed a month. Parker missed 10 games and is playing hurt. Manu has been injured for the past three years and Dincan also got hurt and missed games. #1 seed.

But almost an entire season of Kobe and Dwight, disregarding the other two HOFs they play with, is struggling to make the playoffs.

The spurs have a bench. Did they play anyone as bad as Duhon or morris? Did they play Leonard at center?

Lakers have a short bench and to top it off had multiple guys hurt at the same time.

Btw, with Manu and Parker hurt they lost 4 in a row here to allow okc to come back.

linsivvi

Swap Antoni and Popovich the Lakers would be in the playoffs. All these comparisons are stupid. The Spurs wouldn't be the Spurs without Pop.

Looking at how the heat struggled with some bad teams this very season that they should have blown out, you are just throwing shit to the wind.

Look at the heats record and look how many 5 points or less wins including overtime do they have against bad teams. And that was when you had Lebron, bosh, wade, chalmers, allen and all their consistent shooting. According to your logic the heat should of been blowing those teams out by consistent double digits.

Yet here you are saying that the lakers would not have struggled against those very same bad teams even though the lakers have even worst 3pt shooting and an even worst bench and all the injuries just because you insert lebron.

Damn delusional..
what the fuck? who gives a shit about the games with the Heat giving no fucks until halfway through the third. nobody was even talking about the Lakers needing to dominate bad teams, you just made that up. we were talking about winning. like, nobody would care in April if LA beat the Suns, Wizards, Bucks, etc by "just" 1 or 2 points...cause theyd be in the playoffs, guaranteed

Swap Antoni and Popovich the Lakers would be in the playoffs. All these comparisons are stupid. The Spurs wouldn't be the Spurs without Pop.
I think he'd be worth about 4-5 more wins this year so yeah in the playoffs. Don't think he could overcome the injuries to win 50+ though.

Also at full health they'd be more dangerous.

Edit: should be 52+

Emwitus

When you're getting killed on the offensive boards and yo coach subs out 6 10 Clark for meeks yo coach is pringles. This clown cant leave soon enough.

ISOM

what the fuck? who gives a shit about the games with the Heat giving no fucks until halfway through the third. nobody was even talking about the Lakers needing to dominate bad teams, you just made that up. we were talking about winning. like, nobody would care in April if LA beat the Suns, Wizards, Bucks, etc by 1 or 2 points...cause theyd be in the playoffs, guaranteed

Nah man in your mind everyone on the lakers squad is healthy, there are no injuries. Duncan doesn't have to play big minutes, the 3pt shooting is there all the time. Howard is a great free throw shooter, he is rebounding like a mad man, Pau isn't soft, Nash isn't old. There is no MDA to coach this fantasy laker team. Am I right, is this how it goes down in your head?

thekad

Banned
The spurs have a bench. Did they play anyone as bad as Duhon or morris? Did they play Leonard at center?

Lakers have a short bench and to top it off had multiple guys hurt at the same time.

And that's the difference between the #1 seed and the #9 seed when Kobe, who has played nearly the entire season, is supposedly the best player on either team?

Good one.

Nah man in your mind everyone on the lakers squad is healthy, there are no injuries. Duncan doesn't have to play big minutes, the 3pt shooting is there all the time. Howard is a great free throw shooter, he is rebounding like a mad man, Pau isn't soft, Nash isn't old. Am I right, is this how it goes down in your head?

no. that would make LA a 55 win team with like 3rd or 4th seeding. and i never said theyd be that

And that's the difference between the #1 seed and the #9 seed when Kobe, who has played nearly the entire season, is supposedly the best player on either team?

Good one.

Kobe is 34 and playing 38mpg.

I'm not comparing who is better between Kobe and Duncan. It's patently stupid to compare a center to a shooting guard.

All I said was given the same scenario for Duncan his team would have around the same record, maybe worse if he plays so much fewer minutes.

And yes that is the difference between seeds out west. When duncan was hobbled a few years ago, the spurs were the 7 seed.

ISOM

no. that would make LA a 55 win team with like 3rd or 4th seeding. and i never said theyd be that

well considering that nash has missed 27+ games, and Pau has missed 20+, and Howard has been battling his back and shoulder injury all season. This current laker team has 40 wins right around where it should be due to injuries. If we had nash and pau healthy for those, we wouldn't even be discussing your stupid ass hypotheticals.

If Nash, hill, Blake, and pau played 10 more games each, lakers win 50 plus and this ain't a topic.

The lakers are 24-15 in games where Blake plays, alone.

linsivvi

This is the Lakers lineup until garbage time when they lost to the Suns:
Howard/Clark/Nash/Blake/Meeks/Jamison/MWP

A clueless, short-sighted coach continues to drive the old players into the injury list by playing them heavy minutes all season long, in order to save his job.

Top Bottom