• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

giri

Which is more likely:

A: He was going to become the greatest shooter in NBA history before that minor injury derailed him
B: He was extremely lucky in the first part of the year and then regressed to the mean like every other player ever.

Yes, it's a clear cut either or.

It's not like he's still averaging over .400 for the year and over .380 for his career. It's unpossible for a guy like that to shoot .450 from 3.

I'm not saying he was going to keep hitting over .500. That would be other worldly. But even with an injury to his shooting arm the guy is putting up better than league average numbers.

And it's a smaller sample size, but his FT% has also gotten worse, for a guy who averages over .800 for his career from the FT line, back to back months of .765 and .682 would indicate something is up.

I think to just dismiss it as him "regressing" is blind dedication to numbers. Guy is an above average shooter, who looked like he had progressed and finally found an offense that worked for him and he had the minutes. Then got injured.

I'm not saying pay the guy the max, that would be idiocy.

I always find it hard to believe the Heat couldn't find a young lower tier scrappy player to add to that roster instead of Joel Anthony once again. What a useless basketball player. One of those guys that is only in the NBA to be a large body on the court. Reminds me a lot of Eddy Curry in the last years of his career, also a former Heat player...
I think he becomes a RFA in 2014

Trading Dirk would be bad for business. That's all Cuban really cares about. It's one reason why he broke up that championship team. He knew he could market Dwight/Paul and not have to worry about ticket sales if he landed them. Dwight Howard is an easier sell than Tyson Chandler. And it was a shitty decision, but that's how he thinks. The Mavs fanbase would fucking crucify him if he traded Dirk and he knows that.

Short term yes it would be bad for business. Keeping him, missing the playoffs til he retires and then having to spend the immediate post Dirk era tanking for a pick would be worse long term. I don't think Cuban is that shortsighted, which is a reason why he mistakenly broke up his chip team.

It's a suck a lot for a little while now or suck a little now AND a lot later proposition where neither guarantee success since Dallas has a hard time getting good FAs. and then next off season they'll potentially be competing for talent against a LA team with Dwight on the roster and a bunch of blank checks.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
“For us to make a jump next season, J.J. can’t be our starting center,’’ Olshey said, referencing the Blazers’ 47.4 points allowed in the paint per game, an NBA high. “I’m not saying he can’t be part of the roster. But we need to find a starting-caliber center who protects the rim and gets defensive rebounds at a high rate and that has a presence. And we have to do a better job at defending the paint. So you have to ask: Is it likely there is enough minutes to commit the kind of dollars J.J. will command, when clearly there are other positions that need to be upgraded? Probably not.’’

Olshey don't give a fuck lol

cacophony

http://bossip.com/756073/dirty-dog-...king-her-up-in-an-rv-and-asking-for-abortion/

good lawd

the last encounter royce and I had, I became pregnant and I found out shortly after my last visit with him. He has blocked me on twitter and stopped answering my calls and texts. Royce white did a complete 180 and now I don’t exist to him but I’m left with this difficult situation at hand to handle on my own.

he sure isn't concerned with his sexual health as much as his mental health

wtf, has gerald wallace always been this emotional? he says he has no confidence in his shot and he doesn't have the confidence of his coaching staff and team mates.

“My confidence is totally gone,” Wallace told The Post Saturday. “I’m just at the point now ... I’m in a situation where I feel like if I miss, I’m going to get pulled out of the game, you know what I’m saying? So my whole concept is just that you can’t come out of the game if you’re not missing shots.
“I think I lost the confidence of the coaching staff and my teammates. So my main thing is those guys can score, so instead of thinking about it so much, just trying to focus on defense, try to move the ball and get those guys shots.”

What does that have to do with trading Dirk?

They don't have to trade Dirk. They can stay where they are fighting for the 7th or 8th seed and signing average players to short term deals until Dirk is gone and then tank.

Or they can trade Dirk, gets picks and tank now.

One of these puts them in position to do something sooner than the other. The only way I can see this ending a different way than the two I mentioned is if Cuban can add a top 10 player somehow or rob someone blind in a trade. Those things can't be reasonably expected though.

giri

Fatherhood is an unsafe environment detrimental to his condition. Have some respect.

He wants it written into the birth certificate, that white gets to make all calls on whether or not he can parent that day. And that all decisions on royces health should be made by royces doctors, not anyone elses.

Why does ESPN have Westbrook rated as a top 5 player in the NBA?

For the same reason a lot of people will come up with PG lists as soon as anyone points out that he isn't a top 5 PG. Cause they're told he is by the rest of the media.

ESPN gave up trying to write insightful and correct bball related content years ago.

Branduil

They don't have to trade Dirk. They can stay where they are fighting for the 7th or 8th seed and signing average players to short term deals until Dirk is gone and then tank.

Or they can trade Dirk, gets picks and tank now.

One of these puts them in position to do something sooner than the other. The only way I can see this ending a different way than the two I mentioned is if Cuban can add a top 10 player somehow or rob someone blind in a trade. Those things can't be reasonably expected though.

It's pointless to talk about because they're not going to trade Dirk, just like the Lakers aren't going to amnesty Kobe.

giri

It's pointless to talk about because they're not going to trade Dirk, just like the Lakers aren't going to amnesty Kobe.

Dirk doesn't sound like he'll take it just laying down, he could come out and demand a trade or fake being injured for a season, if he doesn't see the right moves being made.

And dirks still relevant, so it would matter.

Branduil

Dirk doesn't sound like he'll take it just laying down, he could come out and demand a trade or fake being injured for a season, if he doesn't see the right moves being made.

And dirks still relevant, so it would matter.

Well I'm sure they're going to try to do something.

Entirely different situations. LA after amenstying Kobe would still be over the cap. Theyd basically do nothing but lose Kobe, whereas trading Dirk could get them picks and allow them to tank for more picks. Kobe's contract was untradeable, Dirk's is not.

Branduil

Entirely different situations. LA after amenstying Kobe would still be over the cap. Theyd basically do nothing but lose Kobe, whereas trading Dirk could get them picks and allow them to tank for more picks. Kobe's contract was untradeable, Dirk's is not.

Mavs aren't going to get any kind of good value by trading Dirk.

Mavs aren't going to get any kind of good value by trading Dirk.

Probably. But there might be a deal out there that'll send overpaid expirings and a pick or two Dallas way. On my phone so I admittedly haven't spent much time to see if anything is out there. Plus it allows them to suck immediately instead of being mediocre and then suck.

I'd rather move Dirk and tank than be the Boston Celtics.

h3ro

asshole 3s all day errrrday.

fatton, at moments, can be just as quick as wall.

knicks should just leave the krispy kreme light on permanently and stop teasing him

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
wtf, has gerald wallace always been this emotional? he says he has no confidence in his shot and he doesn't have the confidence of his coaching staff and team mates.

It happens

but the dude wants to play more than anything else. you fuck with his ability to give it all on the court and he'll fold up quick

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
those royce white pics.... wow

and FUCK LEAGUE PASS

let me just torture myself ffs

Unless Dallas can get CP Dwight or someone of that caliber real soon, their future is bleak. I don't think it's that controversial, I'm hardly going out on a limb here.

If the Lakers resign Dwight I think the Mavs will have a brighter future than the Lakers. His contract will end up being an albatross.

Top Bottom