• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Mahonay

Banned
It's not a big deal IMO. Happened to Hakeem, and so many great centers (Ewing, Parish, etc). Does not take anything away from a legacy...
Not a big deal to you and I, but this is Kobe we're talking about here. His ego makes up a large percentage of his existence as a human being.

It's not a big deal IMO. Happened to Hakeem, and so many great centers (Ewing, Parish, etc). Does not take anything away from a legacy...

Kobe has shown no capability of ever playing the way an off-ball SG should outside of a few olympic games.

Would have been beyond amazing to see the Chris Paul trade go through. Would Kobe really have let CP3 dominate the ball? And would Chris have really been spotting up for jumpers? I just can't imagine it.

Shit would have been glorious. Fucking basketball reasons.

according to rumblings on twitter it seems like burke and hardaway jr. are set to declare soon while mcgary will go back for his sophomore year

giri

I think they're going to target Calderon, actually. Calderon and likely Jefferson. Jefferson can't defend, but he's a monumental improvement over Kaman or Brand. They may or may not resign Mayo.

After what the pistons gave up to get him, i doubt they let him walk for nothing.

After what the pistons gave up to get him, i doubt they let him walk for nothing.

This is Dumars we're talking about. Not to mention that Calderon strikes me as the type of player that would rather play for Dallas because at least they have a shot at making the playoffs next year. The Pistons are awful.

Dallas won't even look like the same team next year. Dirk and Carter will be there, but that's about all. Collison, Brand, Kaman, Marion, Beaubois, etc. will all be gone.

Dallas has the potential to be really bad next year.

Cuban has already said that he refuses to spend money on mediocre players even if it means foregoing another year. Fans will be pissed because it's another year of Dirk's talents wasted, but I would prefer that over him signing players like Brandon Jennings.

Cuban has already said that he refuses to spend money on mediocre players even if it means foregoing another year. Fans will be pissed because it's another year of Dirk's talents wasted, but I would prefer that over him signing players like Brandon Jennings.

I can't wait for when Tyreke Evans becomes a Mav

Mahonay

Banned
That's actually a valid point. Especially since Dirk is declining very quickly. The days of building around Dirk have already passed it would seem.

Waiting another year may be the way to go.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

jennings, mayo, marion, dirk, and jefferson is a good playoff team IF (and I mean if) jennings decide to pass first. Calderon would be so much better though

Tyreke Evans would be an improvement over OJ Mayo. Mayo was a huge disappointment. Dallas' number one priority should be finding a pass first point guard. Collison was fucking awful. It was very frustrating to see Collison miss a wide open Dirk time and time again. I really do think Dallas would have made the playoffs with Kidd starting.

giri

The Pistons gave up a long-term contract that was hurting their cap and Austin Daye.

Didn't they also give up a pick? And Prince's contract isn't what was hurting the pistons cap. That's a really bad interpretation.

jennings, mayo, marion, dirk, and jefferson is a good playoff team IF (and I mean if) jennings decide to pass first. Calderon would be so much better though

Out east, maybe.

Remember back in November when Collison and Mayo were getting a ton of hype for hitting an unsustainable amount of jumpers?

Didn't they also give up a pick? And Prince's contract isn't what was hurting the pistons cap. That's a really bad interpretation.

All long-term contracts for vets on really bad teams probably aren't helping the cap. I don't think they gave up a pick.

giri

Remember back in November when Collison and Mayo were getting a ton of hype for hitting an unsustainable amount of jumpers?

Hasn't Mayo been playing with an elbow injury since mid January, around the time his 3pt % went down?
All long-term contracts for vets on really bad teams probably aren't helping the cap. I don't think they gave up a pick.

Uhh, they still have, much worse contracts than prince on that team.

Collison's jumper is the least of his worries. Collison is one of the few Mavs that will drive to the basket. Unfortunately, he cannot run a basketball team. Period. He is awful as any sort of floor general. Mayo is good for jacking up shots (and missing) and he rarely drives to the basket. I question whether or not an aging Jason Terry would have been better.

His choices seem to be surround Dirk with average overpaid guys or be mediocre for the rest of Dirk's career.

Being the 9th/10th seed for a few years is worse than tanking nowadays. With that being the case, he either should ship Dirk out and tank or he'll take the PR hit for wasting Dirk's time and lose out on draft picks in the process.

He was willing to bite the bullet and break up his championship team, I have to think somewhere beyond Plan A is "Ship Dirk out for picks and expiring contracts"

Hasn't Mayo been playing with an elbow injury since mid January, around the time his 3pt % went down?

Which is more likely:

A: He was going to become the greatest shooter in NBA history before that minor injury derailed him
B: He was extremely lucky in the first part of the year and then regressed to the mean like every other player ever.

giri

His choices seem to be surround Dirk with average overpaid guys or be mediocre for the rest of Dirk's career.

Being the 9th/10th seed for a few years is worse than tanking nowadays. With that being the case, he either should ship Dirk out and tank or he'll take the PR hit for wasting Dirk's time and lose out on draft picks in the process.

He was willing to bite the bullet and break up his championship team, I have to think somewhere beyond Plan A is "Ship Dirk out for picks and expiring contracts"

Dirk for Z-bo, get errr done!

Dirk isn't going anywhere. I believe he has a no trade clause in his contract, for one.

That's if you believe Dirk values retiring a Mav over contending again. When/if Dallas misses out on every notable FA it'll be clear how their next few seasons are gonna pan out and I think Dirk will be more open to wearing a different jersey.

No Wade or Bosh tonight. Starters are Lebron,Chalmers,Miller,Haslem and...............Joel.

Spo should just start Birdman.

Ira Winderman ‏@IraHeatBeat
Shane Battier named winner of Magic Johnson Award for excellence on the court combined with cooperation with the media and fans.

That's if you believe Dirk values retiring a Mav over contending again. When/if Dallas misses out on every notable FA it'll be clear how their next few seasons are gonna pan out and I think Dirk will be more open to wearing a different jersey.

Cuban will not want to get rid of him and I don't believe Dirk has the personality to demand a trade. It's the Steve Nash/Phoenix situation all over again. Not only that, but Cuban would never trade him to a contender just out of principle.

Cuban will not want to get rid of him and I don't believe Dirk has the personality to demand a trade. It's the Steve Nash/Phoenix situation all over again. Not only that, but Cuban would never trade him to a contender just out of principle.

He won't want to, I doubt he wanted to break up his chip team either. He didn't want Jet to leave, he didn't want Jason Kidd to leave either.

Dirk has said before that even though he wants to retire a Maverick, he really wants to fight for another chip. He put in his time in Dallas, no one will hate on Dirk for trying for another ring.

Principle of what? It's a business. He'll gladly send him to a contender on its last leg so he can get a decent pick sooner rather than later when that currently contending team blows it up.

Mahonay

Banned
No Wade or Bosh tonight. Starters are Lebron,Chalmers,Miller,Haslem and...............Joel.

Spo should just start Birdman.
I always find it hard to believe the Heat couldn't find a young lower tier scrappy player to add to that roster instead of Joel Anthony once again. What a useless basketball player. One of those guys that is only in the NBA to be a large body on the court. Reminds me a lot of Eddy Curry in the last years of his career, also a former Heat player...

Uhh, they still have, much worse contracts than prince on that team.

Not really.

Villanueva is the worst contract and he can be amnestied.

They have multiple expiring contracts.

The rest are rookie contracts and the next highest paid player is making 4.5 million.

Trading Dirk would be bad for business. That's all Cuban really cares about. It's one reason why he broke up that championship team. He knew he could market Dwight/Paul and not have to worry about ticket sales if he landed them. Dwight Howard is an easier sell than Tyson Chandler. And it was a shitty decision, but that's how he thinks. The Mavs fanbase would fucking crucify him if he traded Dirk and he knows that.

Top Bottom