• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

etiolate

Banned
Thanks for clearing that up guys.

So if both seeds 5 and 6 advance, the 1 seed will still play winner of 4-5 right?

Any particular reason the NBA is set up this way?

Basically, to try to get the #1 and #2 seed to meet in the conference finals for a showdown instead of having the two best teams meet early in the playoffs and leaving the following rounds with less luster.

edit: I misunderstood your question. I think they don't realign the brackets if there's an upset due to scheduling and prep. If everyone involved knows the possible matchups they can better prepare travel, research and other prep. That's my best guess.

Yes teams give out tickets to keep up sellout streaks. All the teams do that. The Kings still had two of the longest streaks in the league's history. They would be one of the largest markets in the USA to not have a pro sports team if the Kings left.

Honestly, it seems like you just don't know what you're talking about.

Streaks mean nothing.

Put it this way. If Sacramento was such an amazing market, why are they struggling to get a group to match the Seattle bid? It's been over 2 years now that it's been up for auction and the city is begging people to try to keep it in Sacramento.

Obviously investors don't see it the way you do.

AirBrian

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

So if both seeds 5 and 6 advance, the 1 seed will still play winner of 4-5 right?

Any particular reason the NBA is set up this way?

Wasn't this from the Spurs-Mavs meeting up earlier in the playoffs from a few years back (WC semis in 2006?)?

etiolate

Banned
Streaks mean nothing.

Put it this way. If Sacramento was such an amazing market, why are they struggling to get a group to match the Seattle bid? It's been over 2 years now that it's been up for auction and the city is begging people to try to keep it in Sacramento.

They aren't struggling to get a group to match the Seattle bid. Again, you're out of the loop. Their initial bid was lower because nobody really knew the details of the Seattle bid. It was a closed bid only rumored at. As of the NYC meeting, Stern confirmed that money differences between the bids is no longer a concern. There's plenty of money in the Sacrament group.

And it hasn't been up for auction for two years. Two years ago the Maloofs weren't selling, they were moving. The move got stopped. The Sacramento group put together an Arena deal the Maloofs agreed to and then backed out at the last minute. KJ said he had people to buy the team if the Maloofs were selling, but the Maloofs denied that they were looking to sell the team. Again, the Maloofs were looking to move the team to Virginia Beach. When that fell through, they later agreed to sell the team to Hansen in a private, no-compete bid. The Maloofs never announced they were selling the team until they had agreed to sell the team. Once that knowledge got out, Sacramento put together its ownership group.

Streaks mean nothing.

I just wish Sacramento would give up. I imagine this is what a simp looks like trying to keep a girl from leaving.

They aren't struggling to get a group to match the Seattle bid. Again, you're out of the loop. Their initial bid was lower because nobody really knew the details of the Seattle bid. It was a closed bid only rumored at. As of the NYC meeting, Stern confirmed that money differences between the bids is no longer a concern. There's plenty of money in the Sacrament group.

And it hasn't been up for auction for two years. Two years ago the Maloofs weren't selling, they were moving. The move got stopped. The Sacramento group put together an Arena deal the Maloofs agreed to and then backed out at the last minute. KJ said he had people to buy the team if the Maloofs were selling, but the Maloofs denied that they were looking to sell the team. Again, the Maloofs were looking to move the team to Virginia Beach. When that fell through, they later agreed to sell the team to Hansen in a private, no-compete bid. The Maloofs never announced they were selling the team until they had agreed to sell the team. Once that knowledge got out, Sacramento put together its ownership group.

Never officially for sale, but everyone knew it was. Hell, not even a year ago Maloofs said it wasn't for sale and just a few months later the seattle bid comes in.

The Kings have been up for sale since the Maloofs lost a ton of money in Vegas real estate, whether they published it or not.

The Maloofs are on record for saying if the offer is matched they will recommend the stay in Sacramento. Still waiting for the match. It might happen, but it sure is taking a lot of time for the funds to come (remember, this started in January IIRC).

Not that it matters. Seattle's market isn't so go. It's saturated. I'd like it to be over and honestly I see no reason to stay in Sacramento.

etiolate

Banned
The Maloofs were desperate for anyone to bail them out financially and let them keep ownership. They probably hoped Virginia Beach would do that for them.

effzee

Basically, to try to get the #1 and #2 seed to meet in the conference finals for a showdown instead of having the two best teams meet early in the playoffs and leaving the following rounds with less luster.

edit: I misunderstood your question. I think they don't realign the brackets if there's an upset due to scheduling and prep. If everyone involved knows the possible matchups they can better prepare travel, research and other prep. That's my best guess.

Wasn't this from the Spurs-Mavs meeting up earlier in the playoffs from a few years back (WC semis in 2006?)?

It could be any of these reasons. And unlike the NFL not every match up or playoff game would be considered interesting so its best that the NBA tries to secure the two top seeds meeting in the CF. Sucks for the #1 seed. All they get is the home court instead of feasting on the weaker matchups.

etiolate

Banned
Never officially for sale, but everyone knew it was. Hell, not even a year ago Maloofs said it wasn't for sale and just a few months later the seattle bid comes in.

The Kings have been up for sale since the Maloofs lost a ton of money in Vegas real estate, whether they published it or not.

The Maloofs are on record for saying if the offer is matched they will recommend the stay in Sacramento. Still waiting for the match. It might happen, but it sure is taking a lot of time for the funds to come (remember, this started in January IIRC).

Not that it matters. Seattle's market isn't so go. It's saturated. I'd like it to be over and honestly I see no reason to stay in Sacramento.

KJ had Burkle as far back as the Anehiem move. It's not like they weren't prepared for it. They probably had the ownership group stuff being done in the background once the Maloofs killed the arena agreement. They just weren't being allowed to buy the team because the Maloofs were publicly denying it.

George Maloof is trying to screw Sacramento. That's about all there is to it. They could have approached the Sacramento group and said we are open to selling the team but never did. They instead sold the team in secret. That only benefits Hansen for having to not compete. (And again, don't think Seattle group is innocent in this. They didn't want to give Sacramento a chance to keep the team. That's why this was a sealed, no compete bid and sale. ) It only benefits the Maloofs to get a bidding war for the franchise, but they avoided that. The only real reason to do that is some personal vendetta against Sacramento for trying to keep their team.

etiolate

Banned
You really think the Maloofs would turn down more money because of a grudge he has with the city for wanting to keep their team?

Have you not paid attention to how much of a fuck-up George Maloof is? He's the one behind their Vegas failures. He's the face behind all their failed attempts to move. He's the one that pushed to kill the Arena deal. The Maloofs have destroyed most of what they inherited. They are not wise business men.

Have you not paid attention to how much of a fuck-up George Maloof is? He's the one behind their Vegas failures. He's the face behind all their failed attempts to move. He's the one that pushed to kill the Arena deal. The Maloofs have destroyed most of what they inherited. They are not wise business men.

I know, which is why I'd find it strange they'd not go after money they desperately need (desperately being relative here) for strange grudge reasons.

Love to hear the point of this.

etiolate

Banned
I know, which is why I'd find it strange they'd not go after money they desperately need (desperately being relative here) for strange grudge reasons.

Love to hear the point of this.

There was really no reason to kill the arena deal either, but they did. They just do stupid, petty shit like this.

...Virginia Beach? The fuck were they smoking?

I live there, it's not so bad as far as cities go. it's more of a county than a city, but there are several more urban cities surrounding VA Beach such as Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Newport News. Currently, it's the largest metro region without a professional sports team so there is definitely untapped potential here. Seattle is a better city for sure, but there are worse cities than Virginia Beach to host an NBA team (some of which currently have teams).

giri

I've read all the books and I'm eagerly anticipating The Winds of Winter.

AFFC and ADWD have their weaker parts, but many parts such as
the Ironborn chapters, Arya's journey to become an assassin, the Reek chapters
are awesome. Tons of stuff is going to come to a head very soon, and I can't wait.

And GRRM is awesome. Even if he died tomorrow he's given us some incredible work over his career.

Nope.

Jackson's firing must be motivated by something off the court, if it's not announced alongside a signature of a new player. But I have no idea what it could be, excessive fried ribs eating maybe.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Jackson's firing must be motivated by something off the court, if it's not announced alongside a signature of a new player. But I have no idea what it could be, excessive fried ribs eating maybe.

I'd bet its a playing time thing.

SJax got real mad when somebody wrote he was one of the most overpaid players in the league a little while back. The saddest thing is he still thinks hes good.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AWoj said:
Gregg Popovich and Stephen Jackson have been sparring over Jax's role throughout season; disagreements resurfaced this week, source tells Y!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Jax was awesome against OKC last year and gave them bail out, timely threes all through the series. was 6/7 from deep in game 6.

He's old and slow man.

And that release of his... he's hard to even keep on the court because he doesn't want to accept that he's not a 2 anymore. He's barely a 3.

Dude borders Novak-tier most nights.

well damn. JAXXXXXXXXX gone 0_o thats nuts

i see lots of people predicting one of the heat big 3 gonna get injured tonight, lol ruthless but why are they even playing.

Top Bottom