• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

KingGondo

Banned
Neither giri nor Dr. Blade likes Game of Thrones.

Take that for what you will, Best-GAF.

Also, if season 4 of The Wire doesn't hit you hard you have no soul.

giri

Neither giri nor Dr. Blade likes Game of Thrones.

Take that for what you will, Best-GAF.

Also, if season 4 of The Wire doesn't hit you hard you have no soul.

most of GAF once they get past book 4 realize how terrible the series is and Martin.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
539782_508836679153584_514767108_n.jpg

Hahaha love Shump's face in the background.

KingGondo

Banned
most of GAF once they get past book 4 realize how terrible the series is and Martin.
I've read all the books and I'm eagerly anticipating The Winds of Winter.

AFFC and ADWD have their weaker parts, but many parts such as
the Ironborn chapters, Arya's journey to become an assassin, the Reek chapters
are awesome. Tons of stuff is going to come to a head very soon, and I can't wait.

And GRRM is awesome. Even if he died tomorrow he's given us some incredible work over his career.

The fourth book is mostly terrible, but the fifth is every bit as good as the first and second book sans the bullshit cliffhangers.

One of the main POVs is insufferable in the fifth, but other than that I loved it.

effzee

I know I know Colin Cowturd

but WTF is he on this morning? He opens his show ripping Carmelo because just this one game last night his 30+ points came on 30+ shots whereas Durant scored 30 some on a great shooting night.

WTF? Carmelo has been on a tear shooting lights out but now because of one bad shooting night, even though he had 19 rebounds, against a good defensive team and its evidence enough that Carmelo is selfish? Or a bad player?

And comparing him to Durant? Did anyone even question who was the better player? And then even still Durant is a coward who won't even demand the ball or be given the ball near the end of games. At least Carmelo has that killer in him.

I have to listen to it cause ESPN radio is always on at work but good lawd is this guy clueless. How the hell does he have such a prime spot in their radio rotation? Why?

but WTF is he on this morning? He opens his show ripping Carmelo because just this one game last night his 30+ points came on 30+ shots whereas Durant scored 30 some on a great shooting night.

WTF? Carmelo has been on a tear shooting lights out but now because of one bad shooting night, even though he had 19 rebounds, against a good defensive team and its evidence enough that Carmelo is selfish? Or a bad player?

And comparing him to Durant? Did anyone even question who was the better player? And then even still Durant is a coward who won't even demand the ball or be given the ball near the end of games. At least Carmelo has that killer in him.

I have to listen to it cause ESPN radio is always on at work but good lawd is this guy clueless. How the hell does he have such a prime spot in their radio rotation? Why?

Sometimes Colin is a little too overzealous when shit supports his arguments, but he does make some pretty good outside-of-the-box points about a few things here and there

His Melo hating, while some of it is true, is getting a little annoying because he's constantly on his case

Vahagn

Sometimes Colin is a little too overzealous when shit supports his arguments, but he does make some pretty good outside-of-the-box points about a few things here and there

His Melo hating, while some of it is true, is getting a little annoying because he's constantly on his case

Dude is also the biggest Lebron apologist on ESPN. Has been forever. I've never once listened to his show and felt he's made any good points at all. His guests often do, but he seems like a super casual fan with hyper opinionated points of view that rarely match reality.

effzee

I know the weaknesses of Melo's game. We all do. But to make your point based one 1 game is just absurd. If and when the Knicks lose in the playoffs it won't be because Melo isn't a top player. It will be because they are ancient and will be playing against some really good defensive teams.

The way Melo has been playing of late no one should be questioning his game. Pure scorer and would take him over KD near the end of the game because at least he demands and gets the ball.

Good lord now he is comparing Melo fans and defenders to Tebow supporters.

He keeps comparing KD to Melo when both are very similar types of players. The argument he wants to make would make sense if he was talking about Lebron compared to Melo.

Vahagn

The year he chucked up 27 shots a game? Not impressed. MJ averaged 37 points per game on the same number of FG attempts.

KD averaged 30 points per game on 20 shots a few years ago. You don't think he scores 5 more points a game on 7 more shots? Get real.

So MJ averaged one more bucket than Kobe on 27 shots. You're impressed by MJ but not impressed by Kobe? You're a troll. Also, once again, you're making the mistake of defining better as more efficient. Wilt was a horribly inefficient scorer, but to suggest anyone who scores 25 PPG at a better FG% is a better scorer than Wilt is preposterous. KD is a better shooter than MJ or Kobe, but he's not anywhere near the complete scorer that they are. He doesn't have the low post game, the high post game, the off the dribble game, or the footwork they did. He's simply a better shooter and because he doesn't have to concern himself with running an offense or getting others involved like Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Wade have had to most their careers by practically never playing with a PG who's anything more than a spot up shooter - all he has to worry about on the offensive end is scoring.

He's incredible, and incredibly efficient because he doesn't take low percentage shots, but he has huge holes in his offensive game that Jordan, Kobe, Melo, Lebron don't have. That much is obvious to anyone.

When discussing scorers there are different ways to look at them. How prolific they are, how complete their games are, how efficient they are. Wilt was ultra prolific but not complete or efficient. Jordan and Kobe are more prolific and more complete than Durant but not as efficient. Durant is more efficient but not nearly as prolific or complete (yet).

The other element with efficiency is that efficiency usually drops the more you shoot. Past a certain amount of FG attempts fatigue plays more of a factor, shots are less cherry picked to be of high quality. If you think KD could average 37 on the same efficiency he averages 28 at - you're insane.

Jeff-DSA

Kobe has also benefited greatly from playing with some of the best bigs in the game almost his entire career. Jordan had Luc Longley and Bill Wennington. That makes a big difference for a shooter.

Edit: Also Kobe loses a few points for being a colossal a-hole on the court that none of the other guys even come close to matching.

Vahagn

Kobe has also benefited greatly from playing with some of the best bigs in the game almost his entire career. Jordan had Luc Longley and Bill Wennington. That makes a big difference for a shooter.

Edit: Also Kobe loses a few points for being a colossal a-hole on the court that none of the other guys even come close to matching.

Playing with bigs the whole career, particularly bigs that don't have the ability to stretch the floor in Shaq, Kwame, Bynum, Dwight means that the paint is always clogged and driving lanes aren't as open. Miami playing with Bosh at center vs Joel Anthony. PHX playing with Shaq at center instead of Amare. Kobe might get more open 3's - but he won't get as many driving opportunities or opportunities to go in the low post. So it works both ways.

Cowherd is an idiot. Carmelo wasn't great last night, but he carried that team while playing some decent defense.

Jeff-DSA

Playing with bigs the whole career, particularly bigs that don't have the ability to stretch the floor in Shaq, Kwame, Bynum, Dwight means that the paint is always clogged and driving lanes aren't as open. Miami playing with Bosh at center vs Joel Anthony. PHX playing with Shaq at center instead of Amare. Kobe might get more open 3's - but he won't get as many driving opportunities or opportunities to go in the low post. So it works both ways.

No, that's not quite how it works.

Vahagn

No, that's not quite how it works.

Lulz ok.

So Kobe's shot over a 1,000 more threes than Jordan in his career despite having the same exact low post opportunities and driving lanes? What exactly do yo think the point of a stretch big is?

"you flash chris bosh to the elbow or the 3 drawing his defender away from the key and opening up driving lanes and back door cut opportunities"

If you think anyone is guarding Shaq or Kwame or Bynum or Dwight at the 3 point line instead of sagging back and protecting the paint, I suggest you re-evaluate your understanding of basketball.

He's simply a better shooter and because he doesn't have to concern himself with running an offense or getting others involved like Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Wade have had to most their careers by practically never playing with a PG who's anything more than a spot up shooter - all he has to worry about on the offensive end is scoring.
you havnt watched the Fthunder this season. Durant concerns himself with running that offense all the time. with no Harden, he plays point forward more than ever. has more assists per game than last year and year before that. His turnovers are up too, but thats because hes been more aggressive trying to the find the open man. and what the fuck, Durant has "huge holes in his offensive games"?..hes not the league's most skilled scorer, but fuck outta here with that "huge holes bullshit"
Hes above average at just about every aspect of offensive basketball.

Vahagn

you havnt watched the Fthunder this season. Durant concerns himself with running that offense all the time. with no Harden, he plays point forward more than ever. has more assists per game than last year and year before that. His turnovers are up too, but thats because hes been more aggressive trying to the find the open man. and what the fuck, Durant has "huge holes in his offensive games"?..hes not the league's most skilled scorer, but fuck outta here with that "huge holes bullshit"
Hes above average at just about every aspect of offensive basketball.

Huge holes relative or Jordan Kobe Lebron, not to "above average" players.

Yes he's getting as many assists this one year as guys like the ones I mentioned averaged in a long career. He's usually around 3 apg which is PF levels. Not "point forward levels" But it's not just assists. It's the offensive responsibility to run the offense. For better or worse Westbrook doesn't include Durant on large amounts of offensive poessessions. But that was a minor point.

thekad

Banned
With the Rockets heading into their first game (Friday vs. Memphis) since clinching a playoff spot, Rockets coach Kevin McHale said rest is an afterthought.

“We’re going to try to win our last four games,” he said. “That’s what we want to do. We’ll rest our guys a little bit, but we’re not a classic team that has a bunch of older guys that put in long minutes. We have a bunch of younger guys. They’ll be OK.”

We got you, Jeff.

Lulz ok.

So Kobe's shot over a 1,000 more threes than Jordan in his career despite having the same exact low post opportunities and driving lanes? What exactly do yo think the point of a stretch big is?

"you flash chris bosh to the elbow or the 3 drawing his defender away from the key and opening up driving lanes and back door cut opportunities"

If you think anyone is guarding Shaq or Kwame or Bynum or Dwight at the 3 point line instead of sagging back and protecting the paint, I suggest you re-evaluate your understanding of basketball.
wat? Jordan took smarter shots than Kobe. period. during the early period of his career when he a was me first chucker, he was still more efficient. went up against loaded Bucks, Celtics and 76ers squads with Charles Oakley and Orlando Woolridge...and still lit them up with efficient scoring.
quit making excuses for Kobe's bad shot selection.

so apparently we are going to have all 3 of the players in against boston while boston is sitting KG and pierce

why are we doing this

I guess the team is playing just to go through the motions

I know the weaknesses of Melo's game. We all do. But to make your point based one 1 game is just absurd. If and when the Knicks lose in the playoffs it won't be because Melo isn't a top player. It will be because they are ancient and will be playing against some really good defensive teams.

The way Melo has been playing of late no one should be questioning his game. Pure scorer and would take him over KD near the end of the game because at least he demands and gets the ball.

Good lord now he is comparing Melo fans and defenders to Tebow supporters.

He keeps comparing KD to Melo when both are very similar types of players. The argument he wants to make would make sense if he was talking about Lebron compared to Melo.

comparing melo and knick fans to tebow fans? LOL. is there a radio version of "linkbait"? because this sure sounds like it

Vahagn

wat? Jordan took smarter shots than Kobe. period. during the early period of his career when he a was me first chucker, he was still more efficient. went up against loaded Bucks, Celtics and 76ers squads with Charles Oakley and Orlando Woolridge...and still lit them up with efficient scoring.
quit making excuses for Kobe's bad shot selection.

My mistake, Kobe shot 3,000 more 3's. Jordan shot plenty of contested shots. The main difference in FG% is the number of 3's Kobe's taken over Jordan.I don't have the time to get into explaining this in detail, but suffice it to say, you're wrong.

I'll just say this. Jordan played with role players for centers who didn't need to be in the low post for the offense to work. and Jordan played with rules that prohibited zone defenses or double teaming off the ball. Which meant if you isolated Jordan in the low post and put everyone else to the weak side, the double team couldn't come until after he caught the ball.

The Lakers weren't going to relegate Shaq or Howard or Bynum to the 3 point line to give Kobe low post opportunities or driving lanes, and doing so wouldn't help anyway because you could just pack the paint and double team off ball leaving those guys open.

You're living in a myth where kobe's a horrible horrible iq basketball player who chucked 3,000 more 3's because he was just stupid. Every time one or two of the bigs sit, Kobe drives or goes into the post and has the floor spacing to work. But keep on keepin on.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
On the Cowherd thing, as soon as you guys realize that they literally pay him to make some of those arguments, the better. Same with Skip Bayless. Those wayward opinions get ratings

My mistake, Kobe shot 3,000 more 3's. Jordan shot plenty of contested shots. The main difference in FG% is the number of 3's Kobe's taken over Jordan.I don't have the time to get into explaining this in detail, but suffice it to say, you're wrong.

I'll just say this. Jordan played with role players for centers who didn't need to be in the low post for the offense to work. and Jordan played with rules that prohibited zone defenses or double teaming off the ball. Which meant if you isolated Jordan in the low post and put everyone else to the weak side, the double team couldn't come until after he caught the ball.

The Lakers weren't going to relegate Shaq or Howard or Bynum to the 3 point line to give Kobe low post opportunities or driving lanes, and doing so wouldn't help anyway because you could just pack the paint and double team off ball leaving those guys open.

You're living in a myth where kobe's a horrible horrible iq basketball player who chucked 3,000 more 3's because he was just stupid. Every time one or two of the bigs sit, Kobe drives or goes into the post and has the floor spacing to work. But keep on keepin on.
I dont think Bryant's a low iq ball player at all. his bball iq is probably really high. thats what makes his decision making even worse, I think. and makes him more of an asshole. He knows he can make a smarter play, but he chooses not to cause hes stubborn.
dude is just more ball dominant than Jordan ever was, takes longer to make decisions with the basketball and puts up lower percentage shots. Maybe some of its him taking what the D gives him. But alot of it is by his own damn choice. Like his signature 15 dribble isolations where the other four guys clear out and watch

PBY

Banned
Fuck man.

I can get 2 Nets playoff tickets for Round 2 @ 30 bux a pop (not good seats but w/e)... I just have zero confidence that they get past the bulls.

Someone convince me that the Nets got this.

Mothman91

Fuck man.

I can get 2 Nets playoff tickets for Round 2 @ 30 bux a pop (not good seats but w/e)... I just have zero confidence that they get past the bulls.

I doubt it...didn't the Bulls sweep the Nets this season?

And who has home court advantage?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Fuck man.

Why? Do you have to still pay for the tickets even if they dont make it?

Fuck man.

If you don't want them, give them to me!

They can beat the Bulls - their styles are virtually identical, and they won't be exploited by the Bulls' bigs.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Fuck man.

You're not on the hook if they don't make it to the second round, right?

Fuck man.

is this through the school's cheapass ticket hookup system?

reilo

Unsure, I might be because I'm getting em from a friend.

That's a shit deal, because he won't have to pay for the tickets if the team doesn't make it to the second round.

He's a season ticket holder, no? Basically they put a deposit down or pay for the tickets up front through to the conference finals, and then they get refunded for any round that the team doesn't get to. Don't pay him any money until the team makes it to round 2.

PBY

Banned
That's a shit deal, because he won't have to pay for the tickets if the team doesn't make it to the second round.

He's a season ticket holder, no? Basically they put a deposit down or pay for the tickets up front through to the conference finals, and then they get refunded for any round that the team doesn't get to. Don't pay him any money until the team makes it to round 2.

Thx brehs.

I think the way he's looking at it is this:

Either the Nets make it to the 2nd round, and then I get a GREAT deal

Nets lose and I'm down 60 bux.

I'll pass

Fuck man.

Let's put it this way, everyone in the east has a chance to beat everyone in the east not called the Heat. As a Bulls fan, the Nets don't scare me, but it wouldn't shock me either if the Nets beat the Bulls, especially with Rose not playing. With Rose, you are doomed. He always murders D Will.

reilo

Thx brehs.

I think the way he's looking at it is this:

Either the Nets make it to the 2nd round, and then I get a GREAT deal

Nets lose and I'm down 60 bux.

I'll pass

Yeah, change those terms because he'd be making pure profit off of you if the team doesn't make it.

Top Bottom