• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Ahh so those don't count but the Nets being ass does?

He scores 20 points on 17 shots and 5 assists.

If that is "murdering"...

What side dish should I make with the fish I caught? Brown rice or fries?

Ahh so those don't count but the Nets being ass does?

He scores 20 points on 17 shots and 5 assists.

If that is "murdering"...

I'm not really interested in a D Will vs Rose debate. I like D Will. He played for University of Illinois for which I was a fan of back when I followed college basketball. I just know that the Bulls will beat the Nets and D Will if Rose plays. He won't though so it will be a tossup.

reilo

BREAKING: King County Judge Dismisses I-91 Suit on #SeattleArena, says case is not ripe. More to come.
BREAKING: The last legal challenge prior to NBA BOG vote is now eliminated. Victory for Chris Hansen. #SeattleArena

Hello, Seattle SuperSonics.

Hello, Seattle SuperSonics.

And the winner of the 2014 draft lottery is now in the books.

At least I'll get to rock some sweet new Charlotte Hornets gear next year.

Edit: with the new CBA in place and the lux tax penalties it's going to help spread out the talent more, which could potentially lead to expansion to 32 teams imo. Sacramento and whatever city/ownership group that puts up the best bid would be my guess.

Vahagn

I dont think Bryant's a low iq ball player at all. his bball iq is probably really high. thats what makes his decision making even worse, I think. and makes him more of an asshole. He knows he can make a smarter play, but he chooses not to cause hes stubborn.
dude is just more ball dominant than Jordan ever was, takes longer to make decisions with the basketball and puts up lower percentage shots. Maybe some of its him taking what the D gives him. But alot of it is by his own damn choice. Like his signature 15 dribble isolations where the other four guys clear out and watch

None of the things you're saying are verified by objective data though. Kobe's FG% is 4% lower than Jordan but his TS% and eFG% are only 1-2% different. Considering Jordan was more athletically gifted, and shot 3,000 less 3's, that's not surprising.

As for making quicker decisions, I remember Jordan making quicker decisions too. But Reggie Miller made quicker decisions than Jordan. It's not just about how quick the decisions you're making are. Kobe and Jordan don't play an identical style of play, they're close, but Kobe plays a lot more of a perimeter oriented offense (due to zone defenses, big men who need to be in the post, etc.) than Jordan did in the 90's.

Jordan also made quick decisions in the post because it was the right play. He couldn't be doubled until after he caught the ball. That meant the quicker he attacked the higher chance he'd avoid being doubled. With Kobe, he goes into the post not to score, he goes into the post to see how the defenses shift and the zones change to figure out whether he should attack or pass out of it.

Their games are different, the defenses are different, their own teams personnel are different. Their skill sets are incredibly similar. Their IQ's are really high. And their FG% difference is explained almost entirely due to the extra 3's Kobe's taken. Now Durant converting a higher clip than Jordan from the field despite shooting a lot more threes. That's remarkable.

Edit: For example, Kobe runs far far far more PnR's than Jordan ever did. Thats a play that requires dribbling, waiting for the screen to be set, then dribbling some more and making decisions. Kobe plays more like a PG than 90's Jordan did, thus he dribbles it around the perimeter more than 90's Jordan did.

reilo

Edit: with the new CBA in place and the lux tax penalties it's going to help spread out the talent more, which could potentially lead to expansion to 32 teams imo. Sacramento and whatever city/ownership group that puts up the best bid would be my guess.

No. Just no.

Dammit Vaggy, go get a girlfriend already.

I'd much rather see the league hold firm at 30, and for the cba to drive down the salaries of mediocre players.

etiolate

Banned
The league already expanded by allowing the OKC move. They essentially added another NBA market when they had 30 already. Until they officially expand, they will just have 31 markets with 30 teams. This will result in one market sucking a team from another market over and over until they add a team. If Seattle doesn't get the Kings then they'll probably go after the Bucks. It won't end until there is another franchise in the league.

The league already expanded by allowing the OKC move. They essentially added another NBA market when they had 30 already. Until they officially expand, they will just have 31 markets with 30 teams. This will result in one market sucking a team from another market over and over until they add a team. If Seattle doesn't get the Kings then they'll probably go after the Bucks. It won't end until there is another franchise in the league.

Won't the Kings market just merge with the Warriors market? Kings market wasn't even big enough to notice.

thekad

Banned
Was never good at geography, but I heard Washington is close to Canada.

Personally, I blame Gondo.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'd much rather see the league hold firm at 30, and for the cba to drive down the salaries of mediocre players.

I'd much rather see the cap expand. Don't believe the bullshit about teams losing money left and right. With Billy Hunter finally being outed I can't imagine the players getting screwed as hard by the new CBA as they have been in the past.

etiolate

Banned
Won't the Kings market just merge with the Warriors market? Kings market wasn't even big enough to notice.

Sacramento market is larger than many other NBA city markets. It's bigger than Memphis, Orlando, OKC, New Orleans, Indy, Salt Lake and even the market the team previously came from in Kansas City.

I know the weaknesses of Melo's game. We all do. But to make your point based one 1 game is just absurd. If and when the Knicks lose in the playoffs it won't be because Melo isn't a top player. It will be because they are ancient and will be playing against some really good defensive teams.

The way Melo has been playing of late no one should be questioning his game. Pure scorer and would take him over KD near the end of the game because at least he demands and gets the ball.

Good lord now he is comparing Melo fans and defenders to Tebow supporters.

He keeps comparing KD to Melo when both are very similar types of players. The argument he wants to make would make sense if he was talking about Lebron compared to Melo.

The difference in efficiency between Durant and Melo is bigger than the gap in efficiency between Melo and DeMar DeRozan (or basically any garbage gunner you can think of other than Monta or Gay).

That makes them pretty different.

I mean, Hakeem and Marcus Camby could be considered similar in playstyle defensively, but there's a pretty large gap in effectiveness.

Sacramento market is larger than many other NBA city markets. It's bigger than Memphis, Orlando, OKC, New Orleans, Indy, Salt Lake and even the market the team previously came from in Kansas City.

You're looking at the direct market size, not the implicit size.

SLC is smaller than Sacramento, but Utah is larger than Sacramento. Sacramento's reaches pretty much is Sacramento and Stockton/Modesto. Warriors have the rest of northern cali, Lakers the rest of Cali (with Clips in LA too).

Same with memphis, Tenn, OKC, New Orleans, etc. They have an entire state and sometimes reaches beyond their state, whereas Sacramento is localized.

Like I said, within 10 years Sacremento will just integrate into the Warriors market. No one will notice.

I mean, Hakeem and Marcus Camby could be considered similar in playstyle defensively, but there's a pretty large gap in effectiveness.

No, just no.

etiolate

Banned
You're looking at the direct market size, not the implicit size.

SLC is smaller than Sacramento, but Utah is larger than Sacramento. Sacramento's reaches pretty much is Sacramento and Stockton/Modesto. Warriors have the rest of northern cali, Lakers the rest of Cali (with Clips in LA too).

Same with memphis, Tenn, OKC, New Orleans, etc. They have an entire state and sometimes reaches beyond their state, whereas Sacramento is localized.

Like I said, within 10 years Sacremento will just integrate into the Warriors market. No one will notice.

No, just no.

The same could be said of any state with multiple big cities. I am not sure what your point is. Get rid of San Antonio and Houston so they can all become Mav fans in 20 years?

No, just no.

What? Players that do similar types things on the court (even if just on one end) can have severely differing levels of effectiveness to the point where they aren't that similar. That's the entire point of the comparison and I don't get the problem with it. I'm not comparing Durant to Hakeem.

The same could be said of any state with multiple big cities. I am not sure what your point is. Get rid of San Antonio and Houston so they can all become Mav fans in 20 years?

Warriors and Kings are direct neighbors. Not the same as those cities in Texas. Dallas is north, SA West, Houston SE. Texas could be split as 3 states it's so large.

There's enough space in Texas for 3 teams. Same with California. Problem is, we have 4, which is 1 too many, IMO.

What? Players that do similar types things on the court can have severely differing levels of effectiveness to the point where they aren't that similar. That's the entire point of the comparison and I don't get the problem with it.

But they didn't have a similar type. Go watch how Camby defends in the post vs hakeem. Worlds difference of approach/style.

Omega

Banned

please no

There's not enough talent for the current 30, why add two more? Just so Sacramento has a shitty team to root for? If anything the league needs to contract. Half the league tries to make the playoffs while the other half doesn't even hide the tank life in hopes to get lucky in the draft

But they didn't have a similar type. Go watch how Camby defends in the post vs hakeem. Worlds difference of approach/style.

Yes, they did, and Durant and Melo have fairly different styles as well. People tend to simplify Melo and Durant into "pure scorers" though whereas Camby and Hakeem are simplified to "shot blockers" which I think simplifies discussion too much since there can be a lot of difference in how Hakeem actually gets blocks compared to Camby (even if the total blocks could be similar) and there's a lot of difference in how Durant gets points compared to Melo (even if the total points can be similar). That's the entire point...

effzee

On the Cowherd thing, as soon as you guys realize that they literally pay him to make some of those arguments, the better. Same with Skip Bayless. Those wayward opinions get ratings

Well of course but that can be said of all radio hosts and commentators. Skip is obviously trolling even when proven wrong.

Cowherd is a moron because he is being serious yet making the stupidest analogies. He is almost like the family guy of sports radio. He brings up the dumbest real world comparisons almost like the flashbacks in family guy. I don't even like the Knicks, in fact hate would be the appropriate word, but his logic made no sense.

Later on in the show Bill Simmons was on and basically proved him wrong on the Melo issue.

That article makes it seem like Kobe lived his own personal 8 mile...

But K.O.B.E. may be the worst athlete rap song ever made. Like sub Iverson tier.

Certialy wasn't touching that g funk fire that GP was spitting.

Nothing that comes close to AI spitting. That was actually good.

Yes, they did, and Durant and Melo have fairly different styles as well. People tend to simplify Melo and Durant into "pure scorers" though whereas Camby and Hakeem are simplified to "shot blockers" which I think simplifies discussion too much since there can be a lot of difference in how Hakeem actually gets blocks compared to Camby (even if the total blocks could be similar) and there's a lot of difference in how Durant gets points compared to Melo (even if the total points can be similar). That's the entire point...

That seems completely different to what I responded.

"I mean, Hakeem and Marcus Camby could be considered similar in playstyle defensively, but there's a pretty large gap in effectiveness."

To me that says "they did things almost the same, but the outcome was different." ie, Hakeem was more effective cuz he jumped faster and higher but they both reacted the same way.

I agree with the point made in your post, now

etiolate

Banned
Warriors and Kings are direct neighbors. Not the same as those cities in Texas. Dallas is north, SA West, Houston SE. Texas could be split as 3 states it's so large.

There's enough space in Texas for 3 teams. Same with California. Problem is, we have 4, which is 1 too many, IMO.

California can support four teams. Hell, there's five MLB teams in the state. Proximity doesn't really matter too much. Sacramento isn't even the bay area.

Talon

Favorite Cowherd moment will always be from '08.

"So this Barack Obama guy is running for the Democratic Nomination. Barack. Obama. You aren't getting in the White House with the name, buddy."

:jnc to a million

California can support four teams. Hell, there's five MLB teams in the state. Proximity doesn't really matter too much. Sacramento isn't even the bay area.

Baseball is different. For one, you can have a baseball team in SD but I don't think you can have a basketball team there. For another, it's cheaper.

And it's 1 hour from the bay area.

Sacramento only supports the Kings well enough when they're doing well. I don't think they can support them. I've always though it was a poor market to join. There are clearly better ones out there, even if they're directly smaller.

In a world where the Celtics don't form a superteam and troll Wade and LeBron to the point of collusion, you have to wonder what the league would look like today.

etiolate

Banned
Baseball is different. For one, you can have a baseball team in SD but I don't think you can have a basketball team there. For another, it's cheaper.

And it's 1 hour from the bay area.

Sacramento only supports the Kings well enough when they're doing well. I don't think they can support them. I've always though it was a poor market to join. There are clearly better ones out there, even if they're directly smaller.

You realize that the Kings had a sellout streak going when they were a continual lottery team? In fact, they have two of the longest sellout streaks in the NBA's history while only having one good period of playoff basketball? They've sold out 17 of their 26 seasons in Sacramento.

You realize that the Kings had a sellout streak going when they were a continual lottery team? In fact, they have two of the longest sellout streaks in the NBA's history while only having one good period of playoff basketball? They've sold out 17 of their 26 seasons in Sacramento.

What were the prices? Any tickets given away? I had a friend who worked for the Kings/Monarchs when the Kings had one of those sellout streaks and his main job was to give away tickets to make sure the sell-outs stayed around. And by give out, I mean for free.

What was the TV deal like? Merch sale? Etc.

It's not just about how many people they can put in a seat.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I'd much rather see the cap expand. Don't believe the bullshit about teams losing money left and right. With Billy Hunter finally being outed I can't imagine the players getting screwed as hard by the new CBA as they have been in the past.

With the way the accounting on that stuff works (teams count players aging as depreciation. Seriously.), I really don't believe that anybody is losing money. And if they can show a loss, it's a tax write off. It's not like owning a basketball team is anybody's primary business, either.

With the way the accounting on that stuff works (teams count players aging as depreciation. Seriously.), I really don't believe that anybody is losing money. And if they can show a loss, it's a tax write off. It's not like owning a basketball team is anybody's primary business, either.

It is for the Buss family.

But I agree with you. I think maybe a few teams lost money recently, but that's changed already.

and with the franchise values being so high, their losses can be mitigated quickly.

effzee

I always forget but what is the format for the playoffs.

1-8
2-7
3-6
4-5

But how does it go in the 2nd round? I always confuse it. NFL is much simpler, the top seed always plays the lowest seed remaining.

Crap just read that KOBE rap career article. Kobe, yet again, a terrible teammate completely abandoned his buddies.

balddemon

Banned

1-8
2-7
3-6
4-5

But how does it go in the 2nd round? I always confuse it. NFL is much simpler, the top seed always plays the lowest seed remaining.

Crap just read that KOBE rap career article. Kobe, yet again, a terrible teammate completely abandoned his buddies.

1-8
3-6
4-5
2-7

1-3
2-4

1-2

assuming all higher seeds win. I think.

1-8
2-7
3-6
4-5

Winner of 1-8 plays winner of 4-5.

etiolate

Banned
What were the prices? Any tickets given away? I had a friend who worked for the Kings/Monarchs when the Kings had one of those sellout streaks and his main job was to give away tickets to make sure the sell-outs stayed around. And by give out, I mean for free.

What was the TV deal like? Merch sale? Etc.

It's not just about how many people they can put in a seat.

Yes teams give out tickets to keep up sellout streaks. All the teams do that. The Kings still had two of the longest streaks in the league's history. They would be one of the largest markets in the USA to not have a pro sports team if the Kings left.

Honestly, it seems like you just don't know what you're talking about.

Top Bottom