• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Ricky has looked really good, seems like he's got his confidence in his leg back. Shame no one on the wolves can stay healthy for 10games in a row.

Yeah, he looks fantastic. For March, he averaged 14/8/5.6. That's outstanding.

I'm really surprised at how much his scoring has increased. He isn't shooting great, but he gets to the line at a crazy rate.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
what shoe would you recommend then? I play a lot, obviously not as much or as hard as college or the pros, but the hyperdunks have done me well up til a month ago. I tried on the ghost 2 and liked them in the store but then when I got to the court with them, the plastic dug into my toes pretty badly.

I can't in good conscious give a recommendation at all. I give suggestions because I cant prove my statements. Opinion supported by science. :)
But I suggest you look for something you feel is strong enough laterally to support your weight well. Bigger guy needs a bigger stronger shoe.

Look for something that doesnt have a major heel lift in it. You want to sit down into your shoe and have the heel cup wrap securely around your foot. Don't get sold on some massive heal cushioning system. We land on the balls of our feet why do we need a 3/4 inch mushy bag under our heels? When you try on the shoe take the insole out, put the shoe on without the insole in it. How low to the ground do you sit inside? Do you slip side to side inside the heal when the insole is out? Once that insole packs down this could make the fit change and become sloppy.
Buy a supportive insole. Might be the most important element about taking care of your feet. Some people need orthotics from a doctor but others respond very well to some off the shelf products. You do not want mushy. You want supportive. Check out Superfeet. http://www.superfeet.com/
I wore custom orthotics for over a decade and always had issues with heal pain with them and then had this company (Superfeet) give me a couple of pairs in an attempt to sway me. It worked. I have 5 or 6 pairs and almost every family member that plays sports wears them now and any athlete I consult with hears my foot health speech.

The Nike flywire tech is intelligent. It doesn't stretch like most fabrics do and is usually linked to the actual eyelets for the laces. This means when you tie your shoe you are actually anchored to a point beneath your foot, creates a strong secure cradle.

A shoe with a lateral strap across it can also give good lateral stability and as the shoe gets worn in your can tighten the strap. Strap needs to be anchored under the sole as well. I have seen some that are just sown onto the sides of the shoe. Not as effective.

Take those points into consideration and maybe they can help you find a shoe that will be good for you.

Blab time:
I wish Reebok still made the Question. Iversons first shoe was pretty great. You sat really low in it, it had two layers or leather wrapped around your foot. Anchored eyelets that felt nice and secure when tightened.
Iverson was dynamic, quick, strong. And his shoes were sturdy. People complained that they weren't comfortable. If you took the insole out of his early shoes there was almost no cushion in the shoe. The majority of the stuff on the outside was for show. How many times did Iverson blow out his knees?

And1 TaiChi had you super low to the ground as well. But it was a cheap shoe that stretched out quick. I had my first major ankle injury in the TaiChi and I believe it was because the shoe was too worn out for me to still be playing in it. The shoe construction was great.

And I am intrigued with what UnderArmour has released. I hope they don't give up before they find success. The MicroG looks like a good shoe to me. As do the Spine series and even that horrible looking Charge. But I have never worn any of them and have zero actual experience with them. I saw then years ago before they came to market and I was excited.

I do think the Hyperdunk is a good shoe man. Until they put that Lunar sole in it. Great shoe even.

Sturdy and strong.

But as much as I have a strong belief that the shoes we wear impact our leg health it is only a factor. Tight I-T bands, weak or fatigued hamstrings, lack of flexibility are all major factors in injury prevention.

Oh and the bottom of your shoe better freakin be wider than the bottom of your foot. That rule goes for midsole too. If your midsole is hourglass shaped when viewed from the back then mistakes were made.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
i upgraded to some good nikes from some shit ones and got some of their padded socks and the first few times i played my legs were in way more pain. what do you think about their performance socks?

What shoe did you come from and what shoe did you go to?
I'm curious if you went from a sloppy shoe to a supportive one with a graphite or glass reinforced shank. Your legs would likely be more sore because the energy has to go somewhere. Stretch those legs out and do balance work. And supportive footbed my friend.

High tech socks? Yes I like the socks. I feel like such a loser saying that but they are freakin comfortable. I don't currently run (rehabbing an Achilles rupture) but when I was running I was much more comfortable with a tech sock on. Shin splints went away, Achilles stayed warmer (it finally gave but like I said, things happen).

giri

You got any insights into any major diff's between these truelize?

I'm picking up a pair today, i'm a long time vomero user(i'm not a fan of huge chunks of cushoning, but i don't get ITB when i use them so...).

Nike Vomero 7+

But I sort of want to stop giving Nike huge sums of money and these brooks are getting a lot of really positive comments and all the reviews and specs read well

Brooks Ghost 5

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
You got any insights into any major diff's between these truelize?

I'm picking up a pair today, i'm a long time vomero user(i'm not a fan of huge chunks of cushoning, but i don't get ITB when i use them so...).

Nike Vomero 7+

But I sort of want to stop giving Nike huge sums of money and these brooks are getting a lot of really positive comments and all the reviews and specs read well

Brooks Ghost 5

First question: Do you pronate?

I love the Vomero. Probably the only Nike runner I really like. My wife has had 4 pairs of Vomeros over the last 5 years. I would wear them but the toe box is too wide for me.
I have been wearing the Asics Cumulus 13s. They fit me well. And the only shoe I have had in ages that I don't get shin splints in. Really stiff support shank in them.

Brooks make awesome runners. My close friend is a triathlete and was sponsored by Brooks for a couple of years (I actually messaged him and asked his opinion between the two shoes. His vote goes to the Ghost) And I have never heard a negative story about them. I would have bought a Brooks shoes to try if I didn't get my latest Asics for cost.

If the store you are buying your shoe from has a good return policy then try the Brooks. You already know that you like the Vomero, so you can always go back.

Edit: I don't mean a return if the shoe is unworn. I mean you need to see if this shoe makes your ITBS flare up. So you will need to put some time into the shoe.
Running shoes are a love/hate kinda thing. So if they won't let you try them out risk free you need to decide if you can afford a $200 pair of shoes to cut the grass in. :)

giri

First question: Do you pronate?

I love the Vomero. Probably the only Nike runner I really like. My wife has had 4 pairs of Vomeros over the last 5 years. I would wear them but the toe box is too wide for me.
I have been wearing the Asics Cumulus 13s. They fit me well. And the only shoe I have had in ages that I don't get shin splints in. Really stiff support shank in them.

Brooks make awesome runners. My close friend is a triathlete and was sponsored by Brooks for a couple of years. And I have never heard a negative story about them. I would have bought a Brooks shoes to try if I didn't get my latest Asics for cost.

If the store you are buying your shoe from has a good return policy then try the Brooks. You already know that you like the Vomero, so you can always go back.

Naw, the try and return policy basically doesn't exist in AU. Not that I've ever found anyway.

And it wasn't a complaint about the Vomero's. I really do like them, but at some point i wonder if there's a better shoe, and i just dont know because i don't try any others. (Except the one time i did and it gave me ITB Friction)

I've been using Vomero's for about 4 or 5 years, since the Vomero 3's. I get about 700 miles or so out of them (about a year). But i've just about worn through the rubber on my current pair so need to get a new pair.

And in AU those shoes are both about $220 a pair.

Will probably just end up with the Vomero's :|

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Naw, the try and return policy basically doesn't exist in AU. Not that I've ever found anyway.

And it wasn't a complaint about the Vomero's. I really do like them, but at some point i wonder if there's a better shoe, and i just dont know because i don't try any others. (Except the one time i did and it gave me ITB Friction)

I've been using Vomero's for about 4 or 5 years, since the Vomero 3's. I get about 700 miles or so out of them (about a year). But i've just about worn through the rubber on my current pair so need to get a new pair.

And in AU those shoes are both about $220 a pair.

Will probably just end up with the Vomero's :|

My friend highly suggests the Ghost. :) I have gotten several texts since asking him.

1. Me... I would go ghost... Rally like that shoe
2. I like them..: but brooks is a love / hate thing
3. Nike are more just foot covering

Olympic level triathlete. Make him happy. Haha.
He is a Nike runner hater. We have had several debates about how the Vomeros are good shoes. Funny that you asked me about those two shoes man. Cause our wives really love our debates.

giri

My friend highly suggests the Ghost. :) I have gotten several texts since asking him.

1. Me... I would go ghost... Rally like that shoe
2. I like them..: but brooks is a love / hate thing
3. Nike are more just foot covering

Olympic level triathlete. Make him happy. Haha.

I'll give em a try in the store i guess.

Oh, as for pronation, on my right foot i'm a normal, on my left, i underpronate.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Oddly, I'm scared of this match up. The fact that Jennings shits on our guards every time. Lord knows Felton can't contain him.

And Ilyasova has some sublime ability to explode against our defense.

Playoffs here yet? I'm done with the regular season.
mj-laughing.gif

knicks fan anticipating the playoffs lmao

Vire

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist has to be the happiest player in the building, this time LeBron isn't guarding him.

Top Bottom