• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Game of the Year Media Picks Thread

Jonboy

TLoU should dominate this.

I've never found a GTA game to be GOTY material. Kinda like a good popcorn flick; you enjoy it and it's fun, but you don't expect it to win Best Picture.

For me personally, TLoU was on a whole different level out of everything I played this year.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Still have to properly play through three games to finally decide on my GOTY, but I expect the media will give it to the usual stuff like Bioshock, GTA or The Last of Us.

Griss

Surprised that Kotaku says that no game was more polished that Luigi's Mansion 2. It was very good, but I thought the animations in particular fell short of Nintendo's usual levels of polish - particularly E Gadd's animations. The vocal representation of E Gadd's words was also unbearable.

Anyway... what should get multiple votes / awards from media:
Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
The Last of US (PS3)
Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (PS4)

What will get multiple votes / awards from media:
Grand Theft Auto V (360)
The Last of US (PS3)
Bioshock Infinite (PS3)

Hey Cheese, even though it might take a bit more work, can you order the games in the order of GOTY winners? So current order would be:

Grand Theft Auto V
The Last of Us
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
BioShock Infinite
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Majestad

Banned
Surprised that Kotaku says that no game was more polished that Luigi's Mansion 2. It was very good, but I thought the animations in particular fell short of Nintendo's usual levels of polish - particularly E Gadd's animations. The vocal representation of E Gadd's words was also unbearable.

Anyway... what should get multiple votes / awards from media:
Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
The Last of US (PS3)
Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (PS4)

What will get multiple votes / awards from media:
Grand Theft Auto V (360)
The Last of US (PS3)
Bioshock Infinite (PS3)

Wut? The animation work in LM2 was immaculate.

rdrr gnr

The Last of Us isn't simply the best game of 2013; it's the culmination of what games have been attempting to achieve throughout the entire 7th console generation.
This is true -- for better or for worse TLoU is probably the only game that nailed it. In contrast, GTA V's narrative was messy, nonsensical, and at times awful (outside of a handful of entertaining character-driven moments). It's also guilty of throwing in a pathetic
"choice"
at the end of the game a la Far Cry 3 because, you know, vidya.
It'll start in just a few days.
Damn. I have two downloadable titles in my backlog. It'll run til almost January, right?

Griss

Wut? The animation work in LM2 was immaculate.

I distinctly remember the transition between different animations being janky as hell. The game was also paced poorly - almost all important gameplay elements had been introduced by the end of the first house - its tricks had been spent. That and a reliance of the incredibly annoying dog encounter brought the game down from a 10/10 GOTY contender to just a very good nintendo game that I was happy to have bought and played.

DukeBobby

Few games arrive with the weight of expectation affixed to Grand Theft Auto 5, but in many ways the final product exceeded them: the map, which encompasses the city of Los Santos and the surrounding area, is immense; as is the level of detail, and the amount of activities on offer. The story does the trick too, with the innovative character-switching feature breathing new life into the franchise – and the extended heist missions are quite simply the most exciting in any GTA title to date. Essential.

Eh, I wouldn't say that. The heists were the most disappointing thing about that game. Well, that and the poor shooting mechanics (I wanted Max Payne 3 shooting, goddammit).

Hey Cheese, even though it might take a bit more work, can you order the games in the order of GOTY winners? So current order would be:

Grand Theft Auto V
The Last of Us
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
BioShock Infinite
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

I was asked this last year, and the answer again is no. Shuffling large bulks of text between posts is a big hassle. Ordering them is what the tally at the top is for.

Damn. I have two downloadable titles in my backlog. It'll run til almost January, right?

It'll run through mid-January.

Griss

I'd also add Everybody's Golf on the PS3 to the list of games that should get votes. No chance in hell that it does, though.

Zemm

There are more than 5 games (closer to 10, haven't really thought about it) that I'd be completely fine winning GOTY. What an insane year this has been for quality.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Fire Emblem: Awakening will win from the only outlet that matters:
mine

randomkid

It'll run through mid-January.

Yo Cheese, if you want more thoughtful lists at the beginning I'd try to post the the thread on Sunday EST instead of during the Monday rush if you can. If you can get a couple of smart people to post early on Page 1 it'll do a nice job of setting the tone and inspiring people to put in a bit more effort, if that's something you care at all about.

Alternatively, make sure the first reply is a fancy list from you or timetokill. Just my random two cents as someone who cares way too much about dumb lists.

Why are you counting the Crave Online pick? It's a no-name site and that guy has proven himself to be a terrible poster on neogaf.

I wish:

Winnie The Pooh Home Run Derby.

ipimOAMnZG0fl.gif

still game of the year in my mind

It's been a hell of a year for games

Rooting for The Last of Us. It's still far and above everything I've played this year. And damn...I realized it's been about 5-6months since it came out and I can remember everything about it

Also first...er...8th post wins it

Chinner

Banned
i think gtav will win this, it's the safe choice with an established series that everybody knows. i'd rather tlou win but im not too fussed.

GTA was a bit disappointing for me. TLoU was the best of the blockbusters by far, though when it comes to pure gameplay, Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101 and Metal Gear Rising were best.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Or some people just enjoy GTA V more than Last of Us.

Also, Last of Us ain't exactly an under the radar indie darling.

Or maybe GTAV is the fifth entry in an extremely popular multiplatform franchise going up against a console exclusive? Of course it's going to have more traction behind it.

GeoramA

Expecting a two horse race between GTA and TLoU.

Hope ACIV gets some love. As an open-world game, I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did GTA V.

Fjordson

Or maybe GTAV is the fifth entry in an extremely popular multiplatform franchise going up against a console exclusive? Of course it's going to have more traction behind it.
It is possible to enjoy other games, including GTA V, more than The Last of Us. Period. There is no objective choice here.

Wynnebeck

Banned
It is possible to enjoy other games, including GTA V, more than The Last of Us. Period. There is no objective choice here.

Obviously. However, let's stop trying to act as if GTAV is the objective choice for this year's GoTY as we are already seeing in this thread.

Top Bottom