• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Game of the Year Media Picks Thread

Coen

I'm rooting for The Last of Us, even though my personal game of the year would probably be Fire Emblem Awakening. Really enjoyed Grand Theft Auto V too, but I feel it (and other great games like A Link Between Worlds, Super Mario 3D World and the previously mentioned Fire Emblem Awakening) perfected a previously successful concept while The Last of Us explored new territory. And I feel those deserve slightly more recognition.

Bioshock Infinite is a terrible choice though. I honestly can't believe someone seriously thinks that game is better than the range of excellent games 2013 has spawned. It's a significantly worse game than Bioshock and System Shock, both in content and deliverance. Shooting is still terrible, the story is non-existent for 90% of the game and the world and setting felt really cramped compared to the previous titles.

edit: Haven't played Tearaway btw, have it on my Christmas wishlist.

If the world was fair neither TLOU or GTAV would be receiving GOTY awards, or at least not as many.

Looks like someone cannot handle opinions. Not everyone agrees to your taste's. In fact looking at the OP most review outlets do not and probably most people on GAF would disagree with you as well.

I also think it's been a dissapointing year in terms of new releases, but older games, newly released expansions to older games and the progress of indie/kickstarter games in development has kept me occupied and happy.

Would agree with GTAV as GOTY. It's an easy target for critique as the flagship for AAA titles, but it really is a very good game.

Man

Bioshock Infinite is one of the most overrated games in recent memory and that has been reflected in the public perception since.

szaromir

Banned
You're going to be one of the ones bitching and moaning once the GAF GOTY results come in, aren't you?
I've been a member since 2006 and I never did that. This should answer your question.

Looks like someone cannot handle opinions. Not everyone agrees to your taste's. In fact looking at the OP most review outlets do not and probably most people on GAF would disagree with you as well.
Well, it's going to be interesting to see if >50% of GAFfers vote on TLOU or GTA5.

Agreed completely. GTAV winning over TLOU is a tragedy.

This seems like an absurd position to me. GTAV is the much-anticipated latest entry in one of the most influential and significant franchises in gaming history. It dominated popular attention (I didn't have Facebook and Twitter feeds fill up with people taking a day off work because TLOU was dropping) and it didn't experience anything like the sort of significant customer backlash that its predecessor did. It's a sprawling, ambitious, expansive game that was extremely well-received and which put something of a capstone on this passing console generation.

This isn't to say that it's the correct choice over TLOU (I haven't played either yet) but it's certainly a very legitimate choice.

Something I'll never understand is the instant vitriol that happens when one popular, really well made game beats out another really popular, well made game.

Naughty Dog puts some kind of mind-control powder on their discs, I swear, people lose their goddamn minds.

Well, it's going to be interesting to see if >50% of GAFfers vote on TLOU or GTA5.

Those two titles are going to dominate the GAF voting just as trivially as they did the media voting.

Heh, interesting.

I have played neither The Last of Us nor Grand Theft Auto V (well, I did "play" the intro to TLOU at a demo kiosk before I had to catch my train) and have no desire to change that any time soon.

My opinions on BioShock Infinite and Tomb Raider have gotten worse over time and neither will make it into my GOTY list. Solid games that failed to have a lasting impact on me.

I regretted picking Animal Crossing as my free game from that Nintendo of Europe promotion but since I already owned Luigi's Mansion 2, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter and Donkey Kong on Wii there was no real alternative. I guess it's well made but definitely not for me.

Haven't played Brothers, mainly because of the bland art. Some seem to have enjoyed it though so I'll probably give it a spin if it's on sale during the Steam Winter sale.

Really enjoyed Luigi's Mansion 2 but it won't make my Top 10 either. Which says more about the other games than LM2.

Haven't played Dark Arisen, only vanilla, and only spend a bit of time on MGR since I'm waiting for the PC release and the latter would probably make it into my GOTY list but I guess that ship is slowly sailing away.

Can't wait for the GOTY voting thread :)

Pezus

Heh, interesting.

I have played neither The Last of Us nor Grand Theft Auto V (well, I did "play" the intro to TLOU at a demo kiosk before I had to catch my train) and have no desire to change that any time soon.

My opinions on BioShock Infinite and Tomb Raider have gotten worse over time and neither will make it into my GOTY list. Solid games that failed to have a lasting impact on me.

I regretted picking Animal Crossing as my free game from that Nintendo of Europe promotion but since I already owned Luigi's Mansion 2, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter and Donkey Kong on Wii there was no real alternative. I guess it's well made but definitely not for me.

Haven't played Brothers, mainly because of the bland art. Some seem to have enjoyed it though so I'll probably give it a spin if it's on sale during the Steam Winter sale.

Really enjoyed Luigi's Mansion 2 but it won't make my Top 10 either. Which says more about the other games than LM2.

Haven't played Dark Arisen, only vanilla, and only spend a bit of time on MGR since I'm waiting for the PC release and the latter would probably make it into my GOTY list but I guess that ship is slowly sailing away.

Can't wait for the GOTY voting thread :)

Seems like you don't even have a GOTY :O. What will you vote for?

Cool to see MGR get at least one mention. It deserves more of course, like TW101, but it's good to see regardless. Such a fun game.

No 3D World yet makes me sad though. Superb game.

overcast

I still love Bioshock, even though many have soured on it.

Was hoping Rayman would get more love, but I doubt it picks up a GOTY award.

Laieon

The year isn't over for another 2 weeks. Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 1 is totally going to sweep this.

...right guys? :(

I'm rooting for The Last of Us, even though my personal game of the year would probably be Fire Emblem Awakening. Really enjoyed Grand Theft Auto V too, but I feel it (and other great games like A Link Between Worlds, Super Mario 3D World and the previously mentioned Fire Emblem Awakening) perfected a previously successful concept while The Last of Us explored new territory. And I feel those deserve slightly more recognition.

Bioshock Infinite is a terrible choice though. I honestly can't believe someone seriously thinks that game is better than the range of excellent games 2013 has spawned. It's a significantly worse game than Bioshock and System Shock, both in content and deliverance. Shooting is still terrible, the story is non-existent for 90% of the game and the world and setting felt really cramped compared to the previous titles.

edit: Haven't played Tearaway btw, have it on my Christmas wishlist.
Are you me? I agree with literally every part of this comment, haha.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm not sure the Huffington Post Canada ballot listed is actually a ranked GOTY ballot. There are numbers on the list, but there's no reference to ranking, and it seems more like a gift guide than a GOTY ballot. In addition, it appears to just be focused on M-rated titles, so even if it was a GOTY ballot, the fact that it's an "M-rated only" GOTY ballot would disqualify it, presumably? Not because all the choices were M-rated, but because the ballot only attempts to consider M-rated games.

Here's the intro text:
Gaming is still widely considered a kids' medium, but the average gamer age in 2013 is actually 30 and a full 68 per cent of gamers are over the age of 18, which explains why the top-selling games tend to be the mature-rated ones.

These are often the best ones, too. While Nintendo still breaks ground with their "E for Everybody" platformers, much of the medium's progression is first tested out in the adult arena. So if you have an adult gamer on your gift list, here are a bunch of titles that should hit the target.

The Mirror ballot is also not a GOTY ballot, they have at least two ballots, one for hardcore games and one for children's games.

So why isn't super mario 3d world getting any? I mean I would understand if it only got a few, but it hasn't gotten any at all yet which is rather strange. Is it because its for the Wii U and thats not a popular platform? People shouldn't care about popularity, but I guess popularity does bring in the clicks.

Cyberia

Game Revolution - The Last of Us

Not only is The Last of Us deserving of being call “Game of the Year”, but it quite possibly could be the game of a generation. The writing, the pacing, the dialogue, the world, the characters, and their relationships—everything is as perfect as it can get. When the credits rolled, I didn’t have any questions. I didn’t need to play it again. I had my conclusion, and there it left me—shocked, emotional, and appreciative of the experience that Naughty Dog had created.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/game-of-the-year-2013-23173

I'm not sure the Huffington Post Canada ballot listed is actually a ranked GOTY ballot. There are numbers on the list, but there's no reference to ranking, and it seems more like a gift guide than a GOTY ballot. In addition, it appears to just be focused on M-rated titles, so even if it was a GOTY ballot, the fact that it's an "M-rated only" GOTY ballot would disqualify it, presumably? Not because all the choices were M-rated, but because the ballot only attempts to consider M-rated games.

Here's the intro text:

The Mirror ballot is also not a GOTY ballot, they have at least two ballots, one for hardcore games and one for children's games.

I'm not sure how nitpicky I really want to get, particularly given the impending refereeing nightmare that is the GAF GOTY. =P

Jonboy

This seems like an absurd position to me. GTAV is the much-anticipated latest entry in one of the most influential and significant franchises in gaming history. It dominated popular attention (I didn't have Facebook and Twitter feeds fill up with people taking a day off work because TLOU was dropping) and it didn't experience anything like the sort of significant customer backlash that its predecessor did. It's a sprawling, ambitious, expansive game that was extremely well-received and which put something of a capstone on this passing console generation.

This isn't to say that it's the correct choice over TLOU (I haven't played either yet) but it's certainly a very legitimate choice.
To me, it seems a little unfair to state someone else has an absurd position regarding the quality of these two titles without experiencing each title for yourself. The fact that GTA has been an influential and significant franchise in the past should have absolutely no bearing on how this iteration is judged against TLoU and other GOTY contenders. Neither should the fact that it didn't experience a significant backlash.

I've played both extensively and enjoyed both games. I'm just continually baffled by media and gamers alike who consider GTA to be a superior game to TLoU. As I said before, GTA has always been like a really good popcorn flick to me. Those types of movies are absolutely fun and entertaining, but I'm not about to start lobbying for them to win Best Picture.

TLoU gave us something far more original than the standard GTA formula we've come to know over the years. It's just my opinion. I'm not going to freak if/when it wins awards. Often times I think folks just coming here to discuss why they prefer one to the other is mistaken for "freaking out." I'm not going to lose any sleep over any GOTY awards that go to GTA over TLoU. But I will come here to discuss it and explain why I feel differently.

haikira

I love TLoU and GTA5, but no Super Mario World 3D is making my head hurt. Nice to see Dragon's Dogma has at least one.

I appreciate the nod to 3DS games.

It would be a toss up for me: LM2, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Animal Crossing, Pokemon X/Y, ....toomanytoname!

Can't the 3DS library be nominated together as GOTY?! whatdoyouthink?!

conman

The newyorker named paper's please their goty

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...s-of-2013.html
They are rather vague as to whether that list is suppose to be ranked, despite the use of numbers.
Yeah, as much as I'd love to see Papers, Please top someone's list, I don't think those numbers are an order. He just says that they are "ten of the best." Which not only means that the order is arbitrary, but also that there are more than ten "best" games; that list is just a selection of some. Moreover, the page calls it the "most crucial" games rather than "best."

Derrick01

Banned
So why isn't super mario 3d world getting any? I mean I would understand if it only got a few, but it hasn't gotten any at all yet which is rather strange. Is it because its for the Wii U and thats not a popular platform? People shouldn't care about popularity, but I guess popularity does bring in the clicks.

I wish I could say it's because people are finally sick of Mario but the reviews don't really back that up. I guess those other games were just more impressive to the companies as a whole instead of just 1 or 2 of their reviewers.

Shin-Ra

The Last of Us and Wind Waker HD were well ahead of everything else this year for me. GTAV made me feel numb, like I was just going through the motions and the framerate while driving was unbearable quite frequently. Honourable mentions for Ni no Kuni (shame about the tedious filler emotion swapping side quest), Zone of the Enders 2, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time and Rayman Legends. Haven't played 3D World yet.

Both GTA5 and TLOU are very deserving.

Personally I would go with GTA5, but I'll be perfectly fine if TLOU ends up getting a few more than it.

I see TLOU is taking the lead
7eab3f075e03695e2e5402574097567847dc3dc5cf85235d3b35f150eb44584f.jpg

Top Bottom