• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Jan NBA Season lOT| Beautiful Black Bodies on Top

Westlo

When you play good teams, you concentrate on getting your best scorer going (See Miami). We freeze out our best scorer and ask him to save us when the game goes to shit

You froze Kome out? He was 3/17 before he went on a flukey streak and Wade shitted on him all night long.

Cloudy

Banned
You froze Kome out? He was 3/17 before he went on a flukey streak and Wade shitted on him all night long.

He was off today but all he was getting was long jumpers. They run nothing to free him up or make the game easier to him. Wade "shitted" on Kobe by getting great picks and exploding to the hoop vs. zero help defense. Miami actually makes the game easier for their stars. Kobe has to do it all himself most games...

thekad

Banned
He was off today but all he was getting was long jumpers. They run nothing to free him up or make the game easier to him. Wade "shitted" on Kobe by getting great picks and exploding to the hoop vs. zero help defense. Miami actually makes the game easier for their stars. Kobe has to do it all himself most games...
Kobe needs more help.

Cloudy

Banned
Kobe needs more help.

Not help. He needs to be used as a true #1 option if we want to beat good teams. Where are his screens? His touches in the post? Where is the plan to feed him over and over till the D adjusts and not just when we are losing big?

I don't think you can state that considering Wade has been relegated to a role player. Who knows what he would average if he was still carrying Miami. He's having a much better season than Bosh, that's for sure.

You can see it in his game. He's declined enough that he wouldn't sniff MVP numbers again. And his body would break down trying to do it.

He's still a damn good player and can be great on many nights, but he's nowhere near that MVP level he once was. To be that, you have to be consistently superb with defenses keying in on you.

It's why Lebron, Durant, and CP3 are the only 3 players playing well enough to merit that (while I think Harden is 4th, he's a huge step behind them) and even then I think Lebron is one peg up on the other two.

If Lebron was in "coasting mode" like he was at times in Cleveland, Miami would look so much worse.

Yeah, I said the Mavs would make the playoffs. And I was wrong. But it's because Dirk missed a quarter of the season. If he would have come back from knee surgery on time I'd like their chances better than LA's. You know what though? I also made another claim that I was completely right about, but I was nearly laughed out the thread. Read it and weep:

You just got fooled by some early season flukiness that happens every season. They were never going to make the playoff and would struggle to be at .500 even if Dirk played all year. The pieces around him are too weak.

Laker hater gonna hate! No surprise.

That said, you've been mostly wrong on the why. The Lakers problems have been health (the 4 still only played like 8 or 9 games together and Hill is done and Blake hasn't played in forever). Their biggest issue all season long has been offensive turnovers leading to easy transition buckets; their half-court defense has largely been okay. They're not a slow plodding team, they're top 5 in pace. Also, their 3 point shooting hasn't been bad. Yeah, they have a bad bench (we all knew that). Miami has also struggled on D this season (granted I think they're mostly coasting).

Lakers have their problems, but you've mostly got them wrong. :p

Also, Cloudy is a Kobe fan, not a Lakers fan.

branduil said:
The Heat didn't even get out of the first round in the East.

You do realize Dirk won his MVP the year the Warriors bounced them out in the 1st round, right?

Of all people to make that argument, Brandi...

Branduil

You do realize Dirk won his MVP the year the Warriors bounced them out in the 1st round, right?

Of all people to make that argument, Brandi...

And people said the same thing about Dirk. That if you get bounced in the first round you don't deserve MVP. And this was in the west where the playoffs are actually hard.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Wait a minute, KG was voted into the all star team? Seriously? How the fuck did Boston fans manage to vote in two starters, while Bulls fans couldn't even vote in one? Especially when Noah deserves it more than KG. This city really doesn't give a fuck about the Bulls.

Wait a minute, KG was voted into the all star team? Seriously? How the fuck did Boston fans manage to vote in two starters, while Bulls fans couldn't even vote in one? especially when Noah deserves it more than KG. This city really doesn't give a fuck about the Bulls.

He's gonna take it out on him on Friday.

This city really doesn't give a fuck about the Bulls.

Which is quite odd since the Bears haven't done shit in a long ass times, the Cubs continue to stink, the WhiteSox have that one random title, and do you guys even care about football?

Bulls dominated an entire decade.. I guess still can't get no love.

And people said the same thing about Dirk. That if you get bounced in the first round you don't deserve MVP. And this was in the west where the playoffs are actually hard.

You just argued Dirk shouldn't have been MVP.

I don't care what other people argue. You made your own argument that Wade didn't get out of the first round to invalidate his MVP campaign.

By making that argument, you are then arguing yourself, not others, that Dirk wasn't MVP when he won.

You're trying to pick and choose when that argument is valid. Can't have it that way.

Branduil

You just argued Dirk shouldn't have been MVP.

I don't care what other people argue. You made your own argument that Wade didn't get out of the first round to invalidate his MVP campaign.

By making that argument, you are then arguing yourself, not others, that Dirk wasn't MVP when he won.

You're trying to pick and choose when that argument is valid. Can't have it that way.

I didn't make the rules, I'm just applying them.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Which is quite odd since the Bears haven't done shit in a long ass times, the Cubs continue to stink, the WhiteSox have that one random title, and do you guys even care about football?

Bulls dominated an entire decade.. I guess still can't get no love.
This is a Bears city, completely. You have no idea. The Bears coaching search has dominated all sports talk. Anything they do is covered extensively. The Bulls are lucky to get 5 minutes a day. After that, I would say it's a tossup, but the Cubs get major coverage whenever anything happens, so they get priority over the Bulls. The problem with the Bulls, and no one brings this up, but this is a very racially segregated city. On the west and south sides, the Bulls do well, but those areas are poor, so they get ignored. Besides that, the only people who support them here are immigrants.

The Bulls sell out and make money, but they just don't get a lot of attention. They have a dedicated following, but that's it. To illustrate my point, a few years ago in a college class, I was talking about the Bulls and this kid behind me goes, "wait, people still watch basketball?" And people agreed with him.

I like how the first person he followed was Alex Morgan.

Samuel-L-Jackson-Drinking-Sprite-Pulp-Fiction.gif

This is a Bears city, completely. You have no idea. The Bears coaching search has dominated all sports talk. Anything they do is covered extensively. The Bulls are lucky to get 5 minutes a day. After that, I would say it's a tossup, but the Cubs get major coverage whenever anything happens, so they get priority over the Bulls. The problem with the Bulls, and no one brings this up, but this is a very racially segregated city. On the west and south sides, the Bulls do well, but those areas are poor, so they get ignored. Besides that, the only people who support them here are immigrants.

The Bulls sell out and make money, but they just don't get a lot of attention. They have a dedicated following, but that's it. To illustrate my point, a few years ago in a college class, I was talking about the Bulls and this kid behind me goes, "wait, people still watch basketball?" And people agreed with him.

I get so tired of hearing about the damn bears or packers from you Illinoians .I'm kind of glad they flamed out the playoffs.

pilonv1

JOBBER

http://thebasketballpost.com/2013/01/11/spurs-set-to-acquire-a-solid-big-man-in-aron-baynes.aspx

Talkbasket.net first reported on Wednesday – January, the 9th – the San Antonio Spurs are set to sign Australian big man Aron Baynes, after paying the $400-thousand buyout amount in his contract with Union Olimpija Ljubljana. According to Draft Express’s Jonathan Givony, the terms of the deal would include fours years of length, $3.5 million in compensation and multiple team options. Baynes is 26 years-old and stands at six-foot-10, distributed around a 260-pound frame. Baynes signed with Union Olimpija in the summer after stops in Lithuania, Germany and Greece out of Washington State in 2009.

Another Aussie to play with Patty.

Watching that Lakers game was unbearable. That offense is pick up basketball. Nobody knows where they are supposed to be, Dwight calls for the ball out of position, nobody can make an entry pass if their life depends on it...Terribad.

Btw the Princeton looked better. I'm not even sure that Pringles installed anything but shameball concepts.

People will laugh but all I was thinking while watching Nash was that I really am glad to have John Wall. Defense, the ability to create fast breaks, penetrate, etc, these are things no one on the lakers can do right now.

Pringles rotations were awful btw.

It looks like John Henson might force Ekpe Udoh out of the Bucks' rotation.

Have to think the Spurs and Celtics are trying hard to get Udoh and that he might not be that hard to get soon.

charsace

Watching that Lakers game was unbearable. That offense is pick up basketball. Nobody knows where they are supposed to be, Dwight calls for the ball out of position, nobody can make an entry pass if their life depends on it...Terribad.

Btw the Princeton looked better. I'm not even sure that Pringles installed anything but shameball concepts.

People will laugh but all I was thinking while watching Nash was that I really am glad to have John Wall. Defense, the ability to create fast breaks, penetrate, etc, these are things no one on the lakers can do right now.

D'Antoni's offense is different from what he used to run when he first took over the Suns. He was way more flexible back then and he isn't now. And its killing his offense.

Cloudy

Banned

Yep Nash is absolute trash and that trade looks worse and worse each day. No defense, horrific turnovers, reluctance to shoot even though he's a great shooter and zero penetration which is why we are stuck forcing the ball into Dwight in a predictable fashion.

I believe we win that game if he stayed on the bench in the 4th. His "defense" on Ray Allen was abysmal.

KingKong

And probably dead last in turnovers. The offense is a BIG part of the problem

they're still scoring over 100ppg even with the turnovers

the problem is that they're allowing 102ppg

edit: they're 8th in turnovers but the difference between 8th and 27th is 1 turnover per 100 possesions so it doesnt mean much. they are 2nd in pace though but that makes sense since theyre not running the triangle anymore

Fluke loss. Not even going to make excuses b/c it was a fluke. To be in it till 40 secs left in the game despite your doofus center going 5 from 13 from the line and your team shitting out 20 TOs is pretty impressive, especially vs arguably the best team in the league. Not even stressing this one. My projections for this month are still on track.

Top Bottom