• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Jan NBA Season lOT| Beautiful Black Bodies on Top

His post game is getting better but he hardly uses it to score. He's already has a reliable jumper and a lot of times he's using that rather than driving to the hole.

Him not using his post game is a bad thing.

He gets good looks because of the threat of him attacking the basket, once his first step slows down you'll be able to play him close if he continues to be a perimeter player. He needs a post game something awful, it'll save his ass down the line.

Guys who rely on athletic ability usually have a brutal decline.

If that's true Kobe has no leg to stand on.
KG's doesnt go down into the low block that often to score, hes a catch and shoot guy, so hes not using as much energy on the offensive end. look how hard Bryant works to get off some of his shots, especially when hes in one of those Kome modes.

Him not using his post game is a bad thing.

He gets good looks because of the threat of him attacking the basket, once his first step slows down you'll be able to play him close if he continues to be a perimeter player. He needs a post game something awful, it'll save his ass down the line.

Guys who rely on athletic ability usually have a brutal decline.
He's using his post game but mostly to facilitate and I think that's a good thing(because when he scores in the post it's usually a faceup jumper that goes in).He doesn't rely on athleticism a much as you imply, he smart and knows how to play off the ball.

h3ro

Mike Dan Tony responds to Amare

"I mean, come on. He just threw Frank Johnson, myself, Alvin Gentry and actually Mike Woodson [under the bus]. Was [Woodson] saving the good stuff? Because he coached him eight months and he was the defensive coach. So it was like, 'You know, I won't tell him that, I'll save that until I really coach him.' It doesn't make any sense.

"Anyway, a lot of times players will say things just to say things. I have a good relationship with him. He's a good guy and I hope him the best. You know, if he's learning, great. He needs it. That would be super."

n18yq.jpg

KG's doesnt go down into the low block that often to score, hes a catch and shoot guy, so hes not using as much energy on the offensive end. look how hard Bryant works to get off some of his shots, especially when hes in one of those Kome modes.

He shouldn't be working his ass off on the offensive end though when tbe team is struggling defensively. KG is smart enough to maximize his benefit to the team, unfortunately for the Lakers Kobe hasn't figured out how to maximize hisefforts on both offense and defense.

Emwitus

If that's true Kobe has no leg to stand on.

KG and Kobe's defensive posture and movements are different. Seriously. KG defends mostly in the post....doesn't require as much speed laterally and movement avoiding screens. Perimeter defending is more prone to decline with age. And kobe can' take over games like he used to any more...in his prime, you'd need triple teams to stop him from getting to the basket. Not any more.

Kobes defensive woes have nothing to do with physical ability. Its almost all ego. He flat out expects help and just refuses to pay certain players respect.

Raps are garbage at the 3 spot....Memphis desperately needs knock down shooters to space the floor for their bigs... maybe Memphis takes Garbagnani, whose only on the books for 10 then 11 mill for the next two years. Rudys contract is 17 mill this year, then 19 mill next. Barg might be too big of a liability on D tho for a defensive minded team like memphis.

giri

Iggy would be good on The Grizzlies.

AI has proven he's no alpha.

And i aint sure he's as good as he wants people to believe.

And apart from finishing at the rim more than rudy, he's shooting similar percentages across the board.

Gay has also been playing some good D this season, so i'm not sure that adding AI would do anything to the grizz at all.

Gay has been inefficient this season, but i don't even know who they could add, that would necessarily be that much better. (and is available).

Granger posted similar shooting numbers last year.

Last year i would have said Ilyasova, but this year? Eh

Gallinari is the same, last year, sure, this year, ehhhhhhhhhhh

At least with those last 2 they're rounding into some sort of form similar to last year.

Iggy finishing at the rim is a goddam myth.

If it's not a dunk (which he should do all de time) it's some flailing as windmill layup shit, that he might make or bitch for a call afterwards.

That is if he gets to the rim. His first step is meh.

He's never been the finisher people thought he was.

Going to be hard to trade Rudy when they are already having a starting front court.

The Brooklyn Nets expected to have more candidates interested in becoming head coach of the team when they decided to fire Avery Johnson, according to a source.

The Nets' top option, Phil Jackson, is not currently interested in taking over the team.

Another candidate, Jeff Van Gundy, has a personal policy of not interviewing for jobs while a coach is already in place.

Both Jackson and Van Gundy figure to be approached in the offseason.

The Nets are not expected to retain P.J. Carlesimo unless the team reaches the Eastern Conference Finals, according to a source.

lol

They arent going to get anyone as good as Gay back in a trade, and no free agent of his ability is going to sign there so I don't see why they'd want to trade him unless it's to save money.

Going to be hard to trade Rudy when they are already having a starting front court.

The Brooklyn Nets expected to have more candidates interested in becoming head coach of the team when they decided to fire Avery Johnson, according to a source.

The Nets' top option, Phil Jackson, is not currently interested in taking over the team.

Another candidate, Jeff Van Gundy, has a personal policy of not interviewing for jobs while a coach is already in place.

The Nets are not expected to retain P.J. Carlesimo unless the team reaches the Eastern Conference Finals, according to a source.

Deron-Williams-Eating-Wendys-and-Smiling.gif

Gay is going to be traded. New ownership wants to get under the cap, Rudy's efficiency is shit which undoubtedly drives Hollinger crazy, and the local media has finally succeeded in turning fans against him.

They probably aren't going to get anything worthwhile for him either.

Would you take Eric Gordon and his bum knee?

rando14

iGsuvwFFN1JoU.gif

Why in the heck would you trade your third best player when you're a dark horse contender? If you don't have a player on KD, Lebron, Duncan, or Kobe's tier that's as good as it's going to get. Hollinger is going to fuck the Grizzlies isn't he?

giri

Oh wow that Nets new owner has high expectations. Eastern Conference Finals really? Damn.

It's the east. there are 4 teams actually competing. And 3 of them wouldn't make it out of the first round in the west (Nets, Knicks, Hawks).... so it's not really THAT high an expectation.

Would you take Eric Gordon and his bum knee?

It's a really good fit, actually, but the post you quoted said they were trying to save money.

rando14

It's the east. there are 4 teams actually competing. And 3 of them wouldn't make it out of the first round in the west (Nets, Knicks, Hawks).... so it's not really THAT high an expectation.

Still, the gap between the Hawks/Knicks and the Nets is pretty big. Pacers can be up there too if/when Granger returns healthy.

Vahagn

Why in the heck would you trade your third best player when you're a dark horse contender? If you don't have a player on KD, Lebron, Duncan, or Kobe's tier that's as good as it's going to get. Hollinger is going to fuck the Grizzlies isn't he?

People have gotten so gotdamn stupid recently it's just mind blowing. There's this ridiculous new fad/craze in the NBA where if you're not a contender, you blow your team up and start from scratch. It's really fun watching 4-5 seed teams blow their team up instead of just add pieces though.

giri

Still, the gap between the Hawks/Knicks and the Nets is pretty big. Pacers can be up there too if/when Granger returns healthy.

Not really.

And the pacers are less about Granger being healthy and more about Hibbert being anywhere near worth his contract.

Hibbert somehow realizes that he's 7'2" and can score in the post at will if he enforces his will on the opponents, Pacers become relevant.

Hibbert keeps playing like Joel Anthony, pacers stay irrelevant.

giri

That's my point. But....... the grizz as long as they get back the right pieces are still really lethal because of of conley, z-bo, and Gasol.

Gay isn't the center piece of the team, but he's a really valuable part of it. If they're going to chip, instead of just make 2nd round exits, they need gay to be the pieces that pushes them over the top.

How ever, if you got someone like eric gordon... who could be that pieces that could push them over.... the problem is then filling in the SF spot.

People have gotten so gotdamn stupid recently it's just mind blowing. There's this ridiculous new fad/craze in the NBA where if you're not a contender, you blow your team up and start from scratch. It's really fun watching 4-5 seed teams blow their team up instead of just add pieces though.

I hope you remember this post when the lakers make consecutive 7th or 8th seeds next this season and next, and then blow it all up.

Being realistic about your team and it's ability to go further isn't "hillarious" its called, extremely good management. Look at the futility of the suns and pistons right now versus ... lets say, the cavs.

Conley is a good bit better than Gay I think.

Really, with how much the Hawks and Warriors are without their inefficient volume scorers, I think it's fair to say that perimeter volume scorers in general are hugely overrated and that dumping Gay for a couple of role players would probably have them be just as good. Especially if they can get a shooter, which would allow them to play Tony Allen more, and a bench scorer (since their bench unit is horrible).

Also, the Nets have been way worse than the Pacers despite Granger being out the entire year. I'm not sure how they're better unless people think Deron and Iso are going to get back to what they were and even then, the Pacers are an elite defensive team that is going to get their offense back eventually.

Cloudy

Banned
Any bold predictions for tonight? Not sure how LA can win but I think we'll be a tad less pathetic than the last game lol

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
that 1-2 record against us is pretty intimidating

Regular season matchups really don't matter that much. Its not even a fucking sweep or anything either. You say 1-2 like its some massive indication of dominance lol

Especially now that NY is starting to realize that they won't be able to play lights out from 3 all year long. Like I said before, Camby will be the main reason that team gets anywhere barring any other major moves and I just don't think he has it in him.

Regular season matchups really don't matter that much. Its not even a fucking sweep or anything either. You say 1-2 like its some massive indication of dominance lol

Especially now that NY is starting to realize that they won't be able to play lights out from 3 all year long. Like I said before, Camby will be the main reason that team gets anywhere barring any other major moves and I just don't think he has it in him.

Not sure if knicks beat nets but okc,miami and spurs also rely on the 3 a lot.

Vahagn

That's my point. But....... the grizz as long as they get back the right pieces are still really lethal because of of conley, z-bo, and Gasol.

Gay isn't the center piece of the team, but he's a really valuable part of it. If they're going to chip, instead of just make 2nd round exits, they need gay to be the pieces that pushes them over the top.

How ever, if you got someone like eric gordon... who could be that pieces that could push them over.... the problem is then filling in the SF spot.

I hope you remember this post when the lakers make consecutive 7th or 8th seeds next this season and next, and then blow it all up.

Being realistic about your team and it's ability to go further isn't "hillarious" its called, extremely good management. Look at the futility of the suns and pistons right now versus ... lets say, the cavs.

You mean when Kobe retires? A star player retiring isn't the same as a 4-5 seed blowing up a team instead of strategically adding pieces.

The Suns and the Pistons? Those teams BLEW THEIR TEAMS UP. The Cavs didn't blow their team up, Lebron left in free agency. The Suns, through being cheap, didn't surround Nash with talent, and decided to trade him away (as he wanted). The Pistons, that slowly built up their team by adding pieces and became an Eastern Conference Power House making the conference finals for like 7 straight years then blew their team up, and have been HORRIBLE ever since, with no end in sight until they get a draft pick.

The examples you just posted prove my point, they don't dispute. A star player retiring (Kobe) or leaving in FA (Lebron) isn't the same as actively blowing up your playoff team before you have to (Jazz, Detroit, Phx) and I mention PHX because although Amare left after they made the WCF, he would have stayed if PHX matched the contract, unlike Bron.

Top Bottom