• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Jan NBA Season lOT2| What Would Kobe Chu?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Kyrie and Varejao for YNB and Lamb? So we make OKC a dynasty for the SSJ3 Goku of Hero Ballers?

Gondo I'mma just leave the thread for a second or two so you can collect yourself. I wish we had a good record so the fury of the LLL Neo-Cavs could be unleashed upon you.

KingGondo

Banned
Kyrie and Varejao for YNB and Lamb? So we make OKC a dynasty for the SSJ3 Goku of Hero Ballers?

Gondo I'mma just leave the thread for a second or two so you can collect yourself. I wish we had a good record so the fury of the LLL Neo-Cavs could be unleashed upon you.
Hahaha

So ESPN land where 5 teams exist gotcha.
To be fair, that ranking was before this season, and this is definitely his best all-around year. Top 7 in points, assists, and steals.

The revews are in, and the critics really love this Rudy Gay trade. 4 stars, raves the Times!

Sports Illustrated said:
Grade: C-
This move has the overwhelming feel of an often-criticized executive desperate to make a splashy shake-up that relieves some of the heat during another lottery season. Will this buy Colangelo more time? Perhaps. Will this move make Toronto a playoff team next season? Probably not. Will it make for an expensive roster that is unlikely to deliver good value? Almost without a doubt.

Could you give us a bit more detail? Like maybe 3 more articles by the same guy breaking it down?

Rob Mahoney SI said:
Rudy Gay deal perpetuates Raptors’ haphazard roster construction

By racing through the roster-building process, Colangelo quickly smashes a mediocre roster into the salary cap and luxury tax lines, two thresholds that dramatically limit the means through which teams can better themselves. The very process of improvement requires a delicacy of timing that Colangelo just doesn’t seem to grasp, as he racks up the kinds of contracts that only seem to work against the Raptors’ best interests.

Cool, moving on...

National Post said:
You have to wonder what comes next for the Raptors. With Gay, DeRozan and Bargnani all potentially in the starting lineup, the Raptors have a lot of players whose primary function is to score, with little to minimal value elsewhere. Whether it is Colangelo or someone else in charge, more moves will have to follow.

Feelin' good so far! Hey, how you doin', ESPN?

ESPN said:
Grade C-

Toronto Raptors: C-

Toronto general manager Bryan Colangelo must really, really like Haddadi. That's the immediate reaction to the Raptors sending their starting point guard and a promising young forward in exchange for one of the least productive "max contract" players in the league.

Gay remains the "Exhibit A" counterexample to the argument that LeBron James is all athleticism and zero skill.

So you're loving it too? Aw yeah, I'm walking on sunshine here.

Gosh, I wonder if Memphis will be okay?

ESPN said:
But the real haul here is Davis, who could be a Carl Landry-type player off the bench for Memphis this season and the successor for Randolph down the road. Though considerably raw at age 23, Davis comes cheaply on a rookie deal and is coming into his own in his third season with a 18.1 PER as a promising scorer and rebounder.

Hmm...hey, what was Gay's PER again?

ESPN said:
Advanced stats are pretty "meh" on Gay. His player efficiency rating this season is a slightly below-average 14.3

Well, your MOM smells. So there. Everyone knows ESPN is biased against whatever's not Tim Tebow anyway. Let's retreat to the safe cocoon of the homer media:

Head Colangelo Cheerleader Doug Smith of the Toronto Star said:
That was a steep price to pay, it really was. They are terribly thin in the frontcourt now and paper thin at point guard. Yes, Bryan suggests more moves are coming but we all know talk can be cheap and until something does come up, this is what it is.

I think they might have fallen in love with a guy a few years ago and had some blinders on when it came to him and what they were willing to pay.

Today? I think they are vastly improved at one position and much weaker at two others and that’s not progress, that’s just change.

FFFfffffuuuuuu.....

His passing has been much better and smarter for the most part, and his defense has improved as well.

There's a reason why you'd be so eager to throw him along with Lamb and a #10 pick into Cleveland's river of fire for Kyrie and a 'injury risk' center.

You're lack of hesitation to send a 'top 10' player away says it all.

KingGondo

Banned
There's a reason why you'd be so eager to throw him along with Lamb and a #10 pick into Cleveland's river of fire for Kyrie and a 'injury risk' center.

You're lack of hesitation to send a 'top 10' player away says it all.
I just want some predictability and stability at PG. Westbrook can be (and has been) phenomenal, but he can lose you games if he's in Y NOT mode.

Kyrie almost never loses his team games.

I realize the trade would never happen, I'm just discussing it as a hypothetical. We would be so damn deadly with Kyrie at PG, and he's guaranteed to waste half his career in Cleveland before bailing on Gilbert's dumb ass like Bron did.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I just want some predictability and stability at PG. Westbrook can be (and has been) phenomenal, but he can lose you games if he's in Y NOT mode.

Kyrie almost never loses his team games.

I realize the trade would never happen, I'm just discussing it as a hypothetical. We would be so damn deadly with Kyrie at PG, and he's guaranteed to waste half his career in Cleveland before bailing on Gilbert's dumb ass like Bron did.

I told you this three years ago, but you were like, "nope, he's gonna average 20/10. You'll see!"

The only way YNB becomes a relible and effective player is if he is punked by the team captain and coach for dumbshit instead of encouraged. 'Oh Russ! That's just Russ being Russ again!'

He should be playing off the ball mostly too, to limit his FGA. Adding a respected vet PG could work wonders in OKC. Right now, no one on that roster is willing to tell him he's an idiot sometimes.

reilo

The only way YNB becomes a relible and effective player is if he is punked by the team captain and coach for dumbshit instead of encouraged. 'Oh Russ! That's just Russ being Russ again!'

He should be playing off the ball mostly too, to limit his FGA. Adding a respected vet PG could work wonders in OKC. Right now, no one on that roster is willing to tell him he's an idiot sometimes.

Speaking of...

"Russell's an emotional guy. He plays hard. He plays every night. He plays for his team every night," Thunder coach Scott Brooks said. "There's no question he was frustrated. I'm not trying to downplay that. He has to be able to control his frustrations, but that's part of it. It's nothing that's going to carry over until tomorrow, it's over with, we've moved on."

We can still chip with Westbrook. But we'd chip multiple times for sure with Kyrie.

And to be fair, he's averaging 22.5 and 8.3. Close enough.

Close but no cigar. The jump from 8-10 is exponential.

Daamnnnnn at those jerseys the heat are rocking tonight, bout to get me one

PACIADIPJFHOMJLC.jpg
They're wearing the retros tonight? nice. also lol @ UD wanting to be called Django.

edit: Gondo finally falling of the ynb train?

I wonder if anyone has ever shown YNB the animated gif of him and KD fighting for the last shot?

If Brooks isn't man enough to call him out when he's acting like a fool then he sucks at his job. If some kid half my age was doing stupid shit that jeopardized my job performance you better believe I'd let them know about it.

h3ro

Gondo sipping laker koolaid with that trade proposal.

Knicks gonna get that Monta n' Compton BJ work tonight.

Gondo sipping laker koolaid with that trade proposal.

Knicks gonna get that Monta n' Compton BJ work tonight.

Did you take a look at their February schedule? It's so fucking easy, and they have very few games. They could go 9 and 2 easily. And then in March, they play like 19 games...

Russ can be really good on the ball but ive seen plenty of evidence of him being really bad off the ball. that game winner he gave up to Parker at the beginning of the season was one of the most egregious examples of how dumb he can be when the guy hes guarding doesnt have the ball. Sometimes, he doesnt hustle back on D, just walks up the court and argues with the refs if he feels hes been robbed of a call on the offensive end

h3ro

Did you take a look at their February schedule? It's so fucking easy, and they have very few games. They could go 9 and 2 easily. And then in March, they play like 19 games...

Just in time for our old, fragile big men to come off the disabled list!

I'm sure putting a schedule taking all of MSG's events/games/concerts into account must be a nightmare, but man is the balance of the schedule all over the place.

I just don't understand the Westbrook hate I guess. We're talking about a team that gets farther in the playoffs each year, a guy who played pretty good basketball in the finals, who is never hurt, etc.

Gondo talking about switching Westbrook for Kyrie = Dynasty is just some ungrateful, heavy assuming shit imo...

I wonder if anyone has ever shown YNB the animated gif of him and KD fighting for the last shot?

If Brooks isn't man enough to call him out when he's acting like a fool then he sucks at his job. If some kid half my age was doing stupid shit that jeopardized my job performance you better believe I'd let them know about it.

you cant call out behaviour you encourage. Brooks likes the way Russ plays (minus the temper tantrums) and tells him to keep it up.

reilo

I could see Charles drafting Kemba or Faried at #2 because he's kinda out there. Also I think they may have an aversion to a rookie PG.

EDIT: Also I just caught up to here, wtf is Gondo smoking?

They're all rookies and sophomores, lol. I don't think that distinction really matters.

They're all rookies and sophomores, lol. I don't think that distinction really matters.
I think just running a team, I remember seeing some of that in previous Rookie/Soph games. I mean there's a difference from rookie John Wall to soph Kyrie. Then again it could be because Wall played w/ so many dumb players he wasn't used to playing with smart people.

Also is the dropoff to the 2nd tier PGs so huge? Brandon Knight/Kemba Walker aren't hot crap, but is there a guy you can draft #1 that excuses not taking Kyrie/Lillard? Is Anthony Davis that guy?

EDIT: For instance, Kenny Smith said he'd take Faried #1.

We can still chip with Westbrook. But we'd chip multiple times for sure with Kyrie.

And to be fair, he's averaging 22.5 and 8.3. Close enough.

If you would have traded Westbrook for a Dwight rental and kept Harden as I suggested like 2 years ago you would have chipped already. Presti's a chump.

Flash

Rudy Gay is playing his first game as a Raptor tonight.

And not surprisingly, Bargnani is a game time decision... lol BC just had to ship out Davis before his golden child returned

I think just running a team, I remember seeing some of that in previous Rookie/Soph games. I mean there's a difference from rookie John Wall to soph Kyrie. Then again it could be because Wall played w/ so many dumb players he wasn't used to playing with smart people.

Also is the dropoff to the 2nd tier PGs so huge? Brandon Knight/Kemba Walker aren't hot crap, but is there a guy you can draft #1 that excuses not taking Kyrie/Lillard? Is Anthony Davis that guy?

EDIT: For instance, Kenny Smith said he'd take Faried #1.

Wall was kind of legendary as a freshmen in the rook/soph game, but so was Kyrie, so I'm not quite sure what you're saying.

You pick Kyrie no question. No defense wide open jumpshots is what people do best in these sort of games.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
WojYahooNBA
Celtics rookie Jared Sullinger will miss the rest of the season with a back injury, league sources tell Y! Sports. He will need surgery.

damn

I remember him ballhogging alot for some reason...

22 assists and MVP lol

WojYahooNBA
Celtics rookie Jared Sullinger will miss the rest of the season with a back injury, league sources tell Y! Sports. He will need surgery.

damn

Damn, I wanted to hope that him getting skipped over in the draft due to injury concerns would bite other teams in the ass but...yea, never choose a guy with injury concerns I guess.

Top Bottom