• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Jan NBA Season lOT2| What Would Kobe Chu?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I really hope Valanciunas is back tonight. He has so much potential, he and ross should be getting more minutes since this season is a bust anyways.

V is our only hope for any sort of future. Too bad he'll touch the ball about three times per game with DeRozan, Gay and Bargs out there.

KingGondo

Banned
LBJ is maybe the God of tweeners
LeBron and Jeff Green are similar types of players (in terms of physique, versatility), except LeBron is way, way better at everything.

And to be fair, there really hasn't ever been a player like LeBron. Guys who are that big and athletic shouldn't have the court vision and shooting ability he has.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
LeBron and Jeff Green are similar types of players (in terms of physique, versatility), except LeBron is way, way better at everything.

And to be fair, there really hasn't ever been a player like LeBron. Guys who are that big and athletic shouldn't have the court vision and shooting ability he has.
Yeah it's like there never was a Magic or Penny or Grant Hill before LBJ

Then again, guys like LeBron and AK and Smith aren't really like most 3-4 tweeners. LeBron can do everything and AK and Smith can do everything other than shoot. They can play more than two positions (and can defend all five) so they're more just versatile basketball players who ended up around the size of 3-4 tweeners than guys who are mostly SFs but are a bit too slow to play the position.

Blackace

Then again, guys like LeBron and AK and Smith aren't really like most 3-4 tweeners. LeBron can do everything and AK and Smith can do everything other than shoot. They can play more than two positions (and can defend all five) so they're more just versatile basketball players who ended up around the size of 3-4 tweeners than guys who are mostly SFs but are a bit too slow to play the position.
Minny KG was a tweener

Bargs would make a killer 6th man

In a sane world, a world not governed by evil, Advanced Stat & Valanciunas would start & Bargs would come off the bench and not have to do anything but rack up points against Ekpe Udoh or whoever and people would hate him less.

But now Colangelo's in desperation mode and wants to trade him before the deadline, which means he's going to start, get 36 minutes and 15 touches in the hopes that some GM will look at his 18/2/2 stat lines and think "man, I could really use that!"

Blackace

In a sane world, a world not governed by evil, Advanced Stat & Valanciunas would start & Bargs would come off the bench and not have to do anything but rack up points against Ekpe Udoh or whoever and people would hate him less.

But now Colangelo's in desperation mode and wants to trade him before the deadline, which means he's going to start, get 36 minutes and 15 touches in the hopes that some GM will look at his 18/2/2 stat lines and think "man, I could really use that!"
He is going to look great in purple and gold

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Yeah, but he was more of the group like AK and Smith and LeBron of where he could defend and play anywhere and do anything on the court instead of a guy who just has a mishmash of SF and PF abilities like what Faze was talking about.

You're describing players that have a very strong core of skills that they can rely on game-to-game, but that also have additional skills that put them a tier above versus players that do one thing okay at one position, and another thing okay at another position and never do anything great.

Blackace

Yeah, but he was more of the group like AK and Smith and LeBron of where he could defend and play anywhere and do anything on the court instead of a guy who just has a mishmash of SF and PF abilities like what Faze was talking about.

I call those guys the Fizer forwards

Blackace

Bargs is going to break The WNBA's gender barrier, awesome.

Bring that Chip back to The Sparks, where it belongs. He'll be the White Lisa Leslie with less post skills.
Don't fight the feeling

Mike D going be pumped

Flash

lol i'm cool with that. not like we are doing any damage this season... and I certainly don't want to make the playoffs so at least we don't have that OKC pick over our head.

I hope he pulls a shocker and trades DeRozan. I mean, he's gotta realize that he is a poor man's Rudy Gay and now that he has his guy... I'm sure DeRozan has some value in the league and we could nab a solid back up pg and a good shooter or some picks.

Flash

Only started watching bballvery casually from 2004, even then I didn't know much of anything. lawl.

that's insane. How can someone that height rebound so well?

I expected this lol.

rebounding is all about positioning. Some tall guys can get rebounds just cause (not Bargnani) but excellent rebounding takes skills.

rebounding is all about positioning and effort. Some tall guys can get rebounds just cause (not Bargnani) but excellent rebounding takes skills.
Fixed. Getting rebounds can be really exhausting because you have to use your physicality and the drive to get every ball

Leaving a few mil on the table is easier for guys like him. Granted Kobe is all Fuck You, Pay Me, but guys like Udonis shouldn't take paycuts.

Kobe is smart enough to know that a stupid token pay cut is really nothing but an empty gesture and doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. The only person LeBron is "sacrificing" for is Mickey Arison. You know, the guy who probably has 50X as much money as he does. Pretty silly.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Just saw that TP, Ed Davis, and Austin Daye will dress tonight for the Grizz. Should be interesting. If it all goes to shit, at least they have a couple of days to practice before their next game.

NBA TV said:
Bryan Colangelo admitted on NBA TV that the Toronto Raptors are shopping Andrea Bargnani.

Colangelo has spoken with Bargnani's agent about possible moves.

"I'm not saying he's asked for a trade, but he certainly would not fight or resist a [new] situation," said Colangelo.

"WE'RE TOTALLY SHOPPING HIM GUYS, IT'S ON..."

Sportsnet said:
Colangelo expects Bargnani to return with a chip on his shoulder, which could stimulate trade talks.

"You're going to see, I think, a rejuvenated Andrea Bargnani when he comes back from the injury here in a few days," Colangelo explained. "He's got something to prove. Maybe he proves just enough to create a trade conversation.

"...it's just that nobody's returning my calls ... yet! Give it time! You'll see :("

Omega

Banned
Ok. What is a tweener? I thought I knew what it was until Lebron and KG were thrown in. Now I'm confused

also barkley is 6'4, listed at 6'6 if I'm not mistaken though. rebounding isn't about height

Ok. What is a tweener? I thought I knew what it was until Lebron and KG were thrown in. Now I'm confused

also barkley is 6'4, listed at 6'6 if I'm not mistaken though. rebounding isn't about height
NBA.com's definition of "tweener" is as follows:
"This word is derived from the word "between", as in a player is between the height of a guard and a forward. "Tweeners" often have the skills of a big man, but the height of a guard. Though only six foot five, Charles Barkley, a tweener, was one of the NBA's greatest rebounding power forwards."
from wiki

Omega

Banned
That definition doesn't really suit KG or bron since they don't have the height of a guard unless Magic is the standard

Tweeners are guys that aren't fast enough to play or guard the 3 but not strong enough to play in the paint as a 4. Essentially relegates them to bench players because they can't (or shouldn't be) getting starters minutes. Barkley wasn't a tweener because regardless of his height he was strong and athletic enough to play PF and play it really fucking well.

That definitely doesn't really suit KG or bron since they don't have the height of a guard unless Magic is the standard

It applies to any two positions next to each other except SG/SF. Almost anybody who's 6'9 with any kind of speed or coordination gets labelled a tweener forward at some point because of this idea that PF = 6'10. I've never heard KG called a tweener before, since he's actually 7' but has himself listed lower for some kind of strategic advantage or whatever. He can play either C or PF and be comfortable at both.

Top Bottom