• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Jan NBA Season lOT2| What Would Kobe Chu?

linsivvi

I just don't understand the Westbrook hate I guess. We're talking about a team that gets farther in the playoffs each year, a guy who played pretty good basketball in the finals, who is never hurt, etc.

Gondo talking about switching Westbrook for Kyrie = Dynasty is just some ungrateful, heavy assuming shit imo...

You expect fans for a team that has played .600 ball in 4 out of 5 seasons to be grateful? They expect their star players to take pay cuts even though there are teams who are willing to pay them max.

Rudy Gay is playing his first game as a Raptor tonight.

And not surprisingly, Bargnani is a game time decision... lol BC just had to ship out Davis before his golden child returned

I thought Gay wasn't playing until Sunday?

Ah, just saw this:

@WolstatSun: Have heard rumblings Valanciunas could return tonight; I wouldn't bet on Bargnani; Gay depends on everybody passing physicals in time

Matt Devlin ‏@MattDevlinRaps
#RudyGay will play for #Raptors TONIGHT! v Clippers #RTZ

Hoping dat Choonas makes it back tonight.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

And not surprisingly, Bargnani is a game time decision... lol BC just had to ship out Davis before his golden child returned

If bargs plays this some bullshit. Luckily it looks unlikely.

Canuck76

Banned
Think about it. If you're Cleveland, right now you have 2 good players--Kyrie and Varejao... And Varejao is always hurt, so you really only have Kyrie.

In exchange for Kyrie (and OKC taking Varejao off your hands, which is risky for us) you get a consensus top 10 player (and top 3 PG), a guy with loads of potential in Lamb, and a surefire top 10 pick this year.

It's not as crazy as you guys think it sounds. Not like it would happen anyways.

If it is the #1 overall pick i think they may do it.

Anything other than that and they don't even think about it.

Also the Westbrook hate is insane and so overboard. People saying hes not an effective player, come the hell on....

damn about that news about Sully :( :(
get well soon Sullinger, smh now Ainge will trade him no matter what within the next couple of years.

fab melo save the celtics

So how many touches will Steve Nash get tonight over under? 7?

Assists?2?

I hate everything about this team. Its constructed and run as a joke.

jjasper

I am sure Hollins doesn't play the new guys tonight and then makes some smartness remark about not having any players after the game.

Edit: Didn't Sullinger fall on draft day because of back concerns? Or was that someone else?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8905486/lebron-james-think-paid-value-current-cba

"What I do on the floor shows my value. At the end of the day, I don't think my value on the floor can really be compensated for, anyways, because of the (collective bargaining agreement)," James said Friday ahead of the Miami Heat's game against the Pacers (7 p.m. ET, ESPN) in Indianapolis.

"If you want the truth. If this was baseball, it'd be up, I mean way up there."

"I have not had a full max deal yet in my career -- that's a story untold," James said.

"I don't get (the credit) for it. That doesn't matter to me; playing the game is what matters to me. Financially, I'll sacrifice for the team. It shows for some of the top guys, it isn't all about money. That's the genuine side of this, it's about winning. I understand that."

"I think teams understand that you need three guys to do big things; the "big three" thing is pretty cool if you can get it," James said. "To keep teams like this together, you may have to take even less because of the new CBA. I guess we'll find out."

Lol. It has begun.

And he's right. If this was baseball he would be getting an unholy amount of money right now

shit

If Basketball was uncapped...I can't even imagine.

But yeah, Bron making something like 5 years 200 million seems about right in an uncapped system.

So basically like 5 times as much as he makes right now.

Is Bargnani any good at 3s? Because that's the Clippers' Achilles' Heel. They can't defend the 3 for anything. That's why they feasted on teams like the Grizzlies but then get lit up by the Warriors, Thunder, and Magic.

Edit: I know he's a center, but the guy apparently can't defend for anything so I figured maybe he was more of a Dirk-like big man. Or at least a Dirk wannabe.

KingGondo

Banned
shit

But yeah, Bron making something like 5 years 200 million seems about right in an uncapped system.

We'd have Lakers-Knicks Finals every. Single. Year.

Udonis has taken a huge paycut twice in his career now. I guess all the discounted strippers in Miami make it worth it

I'm aware of Haslem's hometown discounts, that's why I specifically mentioned him. He isn't making the kind of money that allows you to ignore a few mil for the good of the team, unless he's financially conservative.

An uncapped NBA would be a nightmare like baseball.

Baseball playoffs are at least based on pitching luck which keeps new champions coming in.

NBA would be the least competitive American sports league by far without a cap.

An NBA with a cap but no limit on how much individual players could be paid would be interesting to see though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
An uncapped NBA would be a nightmare like baseball.

Baseball has competitive balance. The Rays have averaged the most wins in all of baseball over the last 5 years with the lowest payroll.

The system is designed where you're paying pennies on the dollar for a players pre free agency years and where guys who are signed on the cheap can still put up huge production.

Neither of these things happen in basketball. It'd be a completely different nightmare.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Udonis has taken a huge paycut twice in his career now. I guess all the discounted strippers in Miami make it worth it

Is it really a paycut when there's no state Income tax in florida? If he went to any other team, he'd be losing more salary to Tax.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
shit

Kobe had the 7 year 136mil contract

J O'neal lol and KG had 7/6 year 126mil contracts

Is Bargnani any good at 3s? Because that's the Clippers' Achilles' Heel. They can't defend the 3 for anything. That's why they feasted on teams like the Grizzlies but then get lit up by the Warriors, Thunder, and Magic.

Edit: I know he's a center, but the guy apparently can't defend for anything so I figured maybe he was more of a Dirk-like big man. Or at least a Dirk wannabe.

He's shot 31% from three in his last two years.

Blackace

Baseball playoffs are at least based on pitching luck which keeps new champions coming in.

NBA would be the least competitive American sports league by far without a cap.

An NBA with a cap but no limit on how much individual players could be paid would be interesting to see though.

Uncapped football was pretty bad

KingGondo

Banned
Is it really a paycut when there's no state Income tax in florida? If he went to any other team, he'd be losing more salary to Tax.
He took a massive paycut, too.

NYT said:
Haslem, a power forward, signed a five-year deal worth about $20 million, roughly $14 million less than he could have received if he accepted more lucrative offers from Dallas and Denver.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/sports/basketball/13hoops.html?_r=0

A lack of state income tax for 41 games/year plus playoffs isn't making up that money, even over 5 years.

Just remove guaranteed contracts and allow players to enter at 18 and I'm in nirvana.

And yea, Udonis was riding nuts when he signed that deal with Miami. A chip aint worth it.

Heavy and his stupid guarantees are getting old. They're not even funny to laugh at anymore

...you might have a point except for the fact that the only recent big time guarantee I've made was beating OKC and using that W as momentum to possibly turn things around, and guess what? I was right. Lakers won 3 in a row and are back in the playoff picture for the 8 seed. How does that feel, knowing that 1) You were wrong, and 2) I was right. It's not funny anymore... because I was right.

Bread

Banned
Annnnnnd Celts can't even reload now. Jesus... just start looking at the D-League and hope you get lucky.

Which year was the year he dunked off his own face? Was that the freshman year?
danny wasn't trading sully, but this sucks. he was one of the few bright spots of the team this year. i really hope this isn't a long term problem, i think he's going to be a force for years tp come.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
That's pretty good for a big man... he'd probably shoot 40% against the Clippers. I'm just glad we don't have to worry about Calderon.

Too bad he's terrible everywhere else on the floor too. Bargs is just not a good offensive player and he's nonexistent on defense. Should have traded him last year when he had some value.

I really hope Valanciunas is back tonight. He has so much potential, he and ross should be getting more minutes since this season is a bust anyways.

Blackace

Unless you think this is a "Crawful in Portland" situation, you have to be good at something to make a killer 6th man.
No I think he would matchup well against tired starters or second units

He can score

Top Bottom