• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Jan NBA Season lOT2| What Would Kobe Chu?

I think Tony Parker is the best pg in the league this year. Agree or disagree?

I'd say either him or CP3. Guys like YNB and Kyrie are better scorers, but Paul and Parker can both score and make their teammates look better with their playmaking. I'd go with Chris Paul over Parker though.

I think most of that is bullshit. We attribute "momentum" and other intangibles in hindsight to explain a result.

I'd like to hear your explanation on something like home court advantage. Why is it even a thing if intangibles don't matter? It can't just be the crowd cheering on the home team and booing the visitors, can it? It also can't be the court... they're all the same, all built to the same specifications. What is it then? Why is San Antonio 19-3 at home, Miami 18-4, OKC 19-3, and so on... it's because there's a cerebral, unquantifiable aspect to sports that affects performance.

PBY

Banned
I'd like to hear your explanation on something like home court advantage. Why is it even a thing if intangibles don't matter? It can't just be the crowd cheering on the home team and booing the visitors, can it? It also can't be the court... they're all the same, all built to the same specifications. What is it then? Why is San Antonio 19-3 at home, Miami 18-4, OKC 19-3, and so on...
Well I didn't rule out the effects of all intangibles, but at best I think they're minor. As far as road stuff goes, youre ignoring travel, fatigue, etc

Ok, just call me Konextrodamus. This trade or something very similar will happen

SUG0l9c.png

Josh Smith is not going to be a Hawk next year and both sides know it. That's why the team is doing stuff like suspending him so he's the bad guy to the fans.

Lakers do this trade to shed salary but Smith is just a rental unless Dwight leaves. I believe the filler players will be very similar to this. LA needs a backup center and bench guard without taking on salary. ATL takes back Steve Blake and hopes he can contribute. Ebanks is a throw in for cheap depth. The main prize is obviously Gasol who would be a nice fit with Horford for a playoff run in the East.

I would be 100% sure of this trade if Lou Williams hadn't gone down. It'll be tough for ATL to trade Harris but seeing as he's a FA next year, I think the final deal could include him.

Josh Smith doesn't fit your team, dude. Him and Dwight shooting free throws late in games is disastrous. I think he fits in better with Houston.

charsace

I'd say either him or CP3. Guys like YNB and Kyrie are better scorers, but Paul and Parker can both score and make their teammates look better with their playmaking. I'd go with Chris Paul over Parker though.

I think Westbrook is the worst scorer of the bunch. The jumper that Shotcrook showed last season is looking more like fluke as this season goes on. I take Kyrie over Westbrook easily. Kyrie doesn't have a guy like Durant drawing some of the attention away and he's still more efficient scoring the ball. I also think Kyrie would do a better job of getting the ball to Durant and Ibaka would probably get a few more buckets a night because I doubt Kyrie would look guys off the way Shotcrook does.

fuck trading for Josh Smith or Rudy Gay. The FO would extend Smith, and he is not worth fucking up our cap for. Hold to the plan. Neither of those guys are making us much better this year.

Why would Memphis give up Gay for falling off a cliff Pierce?

Something about Pierce's contract being non-guaranteed next year. You can cut him for $5 million or something.

I think Westbrook is the worst scorer of the bunch. The jumper that Shotcrook showed last season is looking more like fluke as this season goes on. I take Kyrie over Westbrook easily. Kyrie doesn't have a guy like Durant drawing some of the attention away and he's still more efficient scoring the ball. I also think Kyrie would do a better job of getting the ball to Durant and Ibaka would probably get a few more buckets a night because I doubt Kyrie would look guys off the way Shotcrook does.

I honestly think dude is just myopic.

Heres the article/video

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/25/3...eat-game-hits-half-court-hook-shot-wins-75000

edit: lol that article explains nothing...

Here are some reactions to the shot from comments sections. These are all from just a single Yahoo! article on it, first page too. Just thought it was interesting:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...-hugs-fan-hits-half-court-115120771--nba.html
You know... I'm not a big LeBron fan but I have to admit that his reaction is pretty cool. He was genuinely happy for that guy.
Lebron is winning me over. Nice shot.
How cool & classy is Lebron! Most players wouldn't even acknowledge a fan after doing something like that. Lebron just made this guy a star! Lebron was genuinely excited for him. I think that's awesome!
At this point I am letting my LeBron anger go. This was a great video of LeBron, as he was happy for the guy as anyone could be. Great shot guy, and it was a KAJ hook shot to lol

I'm an old-school NBA fan who hates what this league has become with most of its whiney stars focussing first on how to get paid instead of how to become a better player.

But...this is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
I've seen LBJ since high school, and when he is being himself and not taking direction from other people, he is a pretty cool guy.
The Decision helped raised millions of dollars for the Boy's and Girl's club, that was the only reason he agreed to it.
I was gonna say the same thing. The Decision completely changed my view of Lebron, but that was a cool thing of him to do. In all the sporting events I've attended, I've never seen any athlete give any attention to the halftime show (or in-between innings or whatever). Kudos, Lebron
Same here, not a big Lebron fan but that was pretty cool
I agree with Kevin. Not big on Lebron, but he acted very cool and nice.

...and most of these have lots of up votes.

"Not a big LeBron fan, but that was pretty cool"
"That made me like LeBron"

...is the general sentiment, and I agree. You'll never in a million years see a primadonna d-bag like d-wade do something like that. LeBron is a good dude and I'm happy he finally got a ring.

Cloudy

Banned
I guess I'm in the minority but I think Josh Smith is a very nice player. I wouldn't give him the max but there are worse guys getting that kind of money. Smith is a much better player than Dwight and Lakers fans are begging for him to be re-signed lol

Talon

I guess I'm in the minority but I think Josh Smith is a very nice player. I wouldn't give him the max but there are worse guys getting that kind of money. Smith is a much better player than Dwight and Lakers fans are begging for him to be re-signed lol
I'm going to assume you're talking about 2K Josh Smith because real life Josh Smith...just no.

I'd for sure take Kyrie over YNB, he can take over games and is a great defender for his position but I just don't trust him when crunch time comes around.

YNB is probably a worse player than Curry, Rose and Irving when all of them are healthy, but they're kind of fragile whereas he's indestructible so I would rank Westbrook ahead of them because of that.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/598/324/TonyparkerWInner_original.gif?13518254[/MG]

this still amazes me. westbrook had no clue where Parker was.[/QUOTE]

Yeah game on the line and you're guarding absolutely no one. Its just one game though.

[quote="Tom Penny, post: 46930497"]If Bird was black, he'd be just another good guy[/QUOTE]

Imagine Bird with athleticsm. Pretty scary.

charsace

YNB is probably a worse player than Curry, Rose and Irving when all of them are healthy, but they're kind of fragile whereas he's indestructible so I would rank Westbrook ahead of them because of that.

His endurance is unbelievable. I just don't like the way he goes about playing the game. His talent and physical abilities are great.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Vegas starting to get the cross NBA/Super Bowl prop bets on:

CROSS SPORT MATCHUPS – What will be higher?
LeBron James Rebounds & Assists Feb 3rd vs. Toronto -3½
Ray Lewis Tackles & Assists Super Bowl XLVII +3½

Chris Paul Total Points Feb 3rd vs. Boston Pick
Colin Kaepernick Completions Super Bowl XLVII Pick

Blake Griffin Points & Rebounds Feb 3rd vs. Boston Pick
Ray Rice Receiving Yards Super Bowl XLVII Pick

Kobe Bryant Points Feb 3rd vs. Detroit +5½
Randy Moss Receiving Yards Super Bowl XLVII -5½

Dwight Howard Blocks Feb 3rd vs. Detroit -1
Joe Flacco TD Passes Super Bowl XLVII +1

Don't know if I get the hype around Michael Carter-Williams. Really bad touch, maybe not good enough handles to play PG, not good enough of a shooter to be a wing. He has the athleticism to be a good defender, but he's from Syracuse so their zone has probably ruined him. Older than most of the other members of this draft. Seems more mid-first round than top 5.

ohNOitsRO

LeBron James Rebounds & Assists Feb 3rd vs. Toronto -3½
Ray Lewis Tackles & Assists Super Bowl XLVII +3½

Chris Paul Total Points Feb 3rd vs. Boston Pick
Colin Kaepernick Completions Super Bowl XLVII Pick

Blake Griffin Points & Rebounds Feb 3rd vs. Boston Pick
Ray Rice Receiving Yards Super Bowl XLVII Pick

Kobe Bryant Points Feb 3rd vs. Detroit +5½
Randy Moss Receiving Yards Super Bowl XLVII -5½

Dwight Howard Blocks Feb 3rd vs. Detroit -1
Joe Flacco TD Passes Super Bowl XLVII +1

Top Bottom