• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Jan NBA Season lOT2| What Would Kobe Chu?

charsace

Don't know if I get the hype around Michael Carter-Williams. Really bad touch, maybe not good enough handles to play PG, not good enough of a shooter to be a wing. He has the athleticism to be a good defender, but he's from Syracuse so their zone has probably ruined him. Older than most of the other members of this draft. Seems more mid-first round than top 5.

This draft looks bad. There are guys that need more seasoning.

As time has past I've really cooled on Shabazz. I still think he could possibly be an allstar player, but most likely he ends up a good sixth man. He is worthless as a secondary ball handler and is medicore at getting his own shot even though he mindless chucker. He's at his best when he can over power other guys. The problem is that he won't be able to do so at the 3 and at the 2 I can see him getting torched in some match ups. And he is a guy that will go top 5 in this draft. That says everything you need to know about this draft.

balddemon

Banned
so I know none of you watch college basketball, but this is so atrocious I just felt like everyone needed to know:
Northern Illinois was down 18-4 at half to Eastern Michigan.

they shot 1-36 FG and 0-19 3PT. I don't even.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
so I know none of you watch college basketball, but this is so atrocious I just felt like everyone needed to know:
Northern Illinois was down 18-4 at half to Eastern Michigan.

they shot 1-36 FG and 0-19 3PT. I don't even.

Northern Illinois? More like Northern Westbrook, amirite?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

As time has past I've really cooled on Shabazz. I still think he could possibly be an allstar player, but most likely he ends up a good sixth man. He is worthless as a secondary ball handler and is medicore at getting his own shot even though he mindless chucker. He's at his best when he can over power other guys. The problem is that he won't be able to do so at the 3 and at the 2 I can see him getting torched in some match ups. And he is a guy that will go top 5 in this draft. That says everything you need to know about this draft.

Shabazz's lack of play making skill really concerns me, but he isn't a mindless chucker. He picks his spots really well and can score from just about any spot. He needs to improve his handle though, no doubt about that. He won't be able to get to the rim consistently if he doesn't.

"LeBron hugged a dude on the court so he's likable"

How about nobody give a fuck about likability and just watch the game, you're not going to get to know them. 3 years ago people would have been saying "omg look at lebron be so fake"

I'm watching the Association and I just now realized how annoying Avery Johnson's voice is. I would tune him out if I played for him too.

Noel, Len, and Bennett are the only guys I've seen this year that I thought could be all-stars and Len is like four or five years away (which can lead to busting because development has to be so constant and perfect) and Bennett is a 3-4 tweener and those guys always bust.

Maybe I'm just too cynical though.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Shabazz's lack of play making skill really concerns me, but he isn't a mindless chucker. He picks his spots really well and can score from just about any spot. He needs to improve his handle though, no doubt about that. He won't be able to get to the rim consistently if he doesn't.

You're forgetting to compensate for Holwand's college version of fuckball.

Obviously Bazz is Jordan 2.0

So did Lakers-Age overreact to that Laker "victory" last night? (all while forgetting we are still 37 games below .500)

Anoint Kobe the Master Of Assisting?

I don't have time to re-read the thread.

This is true, there are 3 other guys on his team that handle the ball more than him too so he doesn't get a lot of opportunities to showcase that part of his game. As is he would fit in great between Kemba and MKG because they both have great handles. Mkg is basically great and everything Shabazz isn't, and visa-versa. They'd complement each other well.

Doomsayer

So did Lakers-Age overreact to that Laker "victory" last night? (all while forgetting we are still 37 games below .500)

I too am curious.

I didn't even get to watch the game but I checked the boxscore and laughed.

Ready for all the good feelings to be wiped away tomorrow!

I too am curious.

I didn't even get to watch the game but I checked the boxscore and laughed.

Ready for all the good feelings to be wiped away tomorrow!

I was talking to a co-worker yesterday.

This is a lost season. Why not make the best of it and TANK SO HAR?

Fuck going to the playoffs in a year when you aren't winning it all.

If we finish with 18 wins, that's gotta be good enough for a #10 or so pick, right?

Lol Laker fans aren't used to following the draft, they don't even know whether they have a pick or not.

Don't hate.

It's like in the movies when the rich guy loses his millions and suddenly has to learn the value of a dollar.

Like Trading Places...

Do a photoshop of the Lakers as Dan Ackroyd and the Bobcats as Eddie Murphy.

charsace

Noel, Len, and Bennett are the only guys I've seen this year that I thought could be all-stars and Len is like four or five years away (which can lead to busting because development has to be so constant and perfect) and Bennett is a 3-4 tweener and those guys always bust.

Maybe I'm just too cynical though.
I think that Shabazz has a lot of strength which would make him a handful at the 2. He isn't as good an athlete as I thought. I thought his lateral quickness would be average at the 2, but from what he's shown in college he looks like he will be below average in the NBA. He is going to have to depend on his size and strength on the defensive end. He is also a power finisher, but he isn't an above the rim player.

Howland ball can't be blamed for Shabazz's poor handle and lack of ability to change directions. He's gonna be a scorer that has problems getting to the basket. Shabazz is exclusively a straight line driver right now. This wouldn't be a problem if he was an above the rim type of player, but he isn't that. Bobcats would be better off building up Gerald Henderson's confidence on the offensive end.

The only thing Shabazz has that MKG lacks is a jumper. When MKG develops a jumper he is gonna be a multiple time allstar. Shabazz has a lot to work on.

Shabazz is like Derrick Williamsand Beasley were in college. He has a physical advantage over the guys he plays against and can post up and hit the J on the college level so he puts up great numbers.

This is the type of draft where you roll the dice on a big.

DY_nasty

Howland ball can't be blamed for Shabazz's poor handle and lack of ability to change directions. He's gonna be a scorer that has problems getting to the basket. Shabazz is exclusively a straight line driver right now. This wouldn't be a problem if he was an above the rim type of player, but he isn't that. Bobcats would be better off building up Gerald Henderson's confidence on the offensive end.

This is the type of draft where you roll the dice on a big.

Henderson is the kind of guy who isn't going to help us out but will be able to do amazing things for a team with a real system in place. He's peaked - he'll never be able to handle the ball or play offense and defense at the same time.

Howland has made great perimeter guys look like ass. Bazz's got the same thing going on that Barnes did at UNC. I'm not worred about him. I want to believe that McLemore could be better though but NEVER trust guys out of Kansas.

Don't hate.

It's like in the movies when the rich guy loses his millions and suddenly has to learn the value of a dollar.

Like Trading Places...

Do a photoshop of the Lakers as Dan Ackroyd and the Bobcats as Eddie Murphy.

Lol, maybe we'll trade you our Portland pick for one of your bigs and you'll draft another Kobe. The irony might be too much for the world to handle though.

Lol, maybe we'll trade you our Portland pick for one of your bigs and you'll draft another Kobe. The irony might be too much for the world to handle though.

Naw, we are entering the wilderness that was the 1990s.

We aren't gonna be challenging for a chip for a LONG time.

Our last great chance at avoiding a rebuild was when Stern fucked us outta CP3 (yeah, I'm still salty as fuck over that). Signing him is the only thing that could have potentially kept Howard in LA.

When we miss the playoffs this year, we will likely lose Dwight as well.

Sometimes I wanna see the Lakers make the playoffs to win it all just to see this place explode.

That explosion will happen when the Thunder chip. The team that this thread seems hell bent on hating for some reason...

I really have to wonder if Shabazz is just a 6th man scorer (due to his seeming inability to care about anything other than getting his) who thinks he's too good to come off the bench and would cause issues.

DY_nasty

That explosion will happen when the Thunder chip. The team that this thread seems hell bent on hating for some reason...

please

OKC gets criticism because they're flawed in the most hilarious of way. Shotcrook, the best shitty frontcourt in the league, Kevin "15 lbs of muscle" Durant, Scott Brooks and the Play Hard offense.

Miami is the most hated by far and people aren't even that set on hating them anymore because LBJ isn't that much of a douche anymore (handled winning better than most thought) and people are finally getting over the Cleveland escape.

Naw, we are entering the wilderness that was the 1990s.

We aren't gonna be challenging for a chip for a LONG time.

Our last great chance at avoiding a rebuild was when Stern fucked us outta CP3 (yeah, I'm still salty as fuck over that). Signing him is the only thing that could have potentially kept Howard in LA.

When we miss the playoffs this year, we will likely lose Dwight as well....

I feel your hate for the Pelicans, they have fucked us over just as hard. I will never cheer for that team.

rando14

please

OKC gets criticism because they're flawed in the most hilarious of way. Shotcrook, the best shitty frontcourt in the league, Kevin "15 lbs of muscle" Durant, Scott Brooks and the Play Hard offense.

Miami is the most hated by far and people aren't even that set on hating them anymore because LBJ isn't that much of a douche anymore (handled winning better than most thought) and people are finally getting over the Cleveland escape.

KD needs to leave okc so I can actually cheer for him getting a ring

please

Agreed.

I never said or implied that the Thunder are more hated than the Heat--simply that GAF hates them.

They win games and Durant is a matchup nightmare most nights...eh.

KD needs to leave okc so I can actually cheer for him getting a ring

Maybe the Zombie SuperSonics can lure him back in his twilight years.

Man, this whole city is going nuts over getting the Kings--it's awful.

Hypocrites, all of them... :p

I'm just happy it would allow me to see the Lakers live twice a year at least.

<shrugs>

please

nah, the Knickerbockers get the most trollin' round these parts. lot of its deserved tho, I really liked the way that team looked and played early on in the season, then those games against the Bulls, they showed how mentally weak they are and how foolish they play when physical teams get up in their shit.

DY_nasty

nah, the Knickerbockers get the most trollin' round these parts. lot of its deserved tho, I really liked the way that team looked and played early on in the season, then those games against the Bulls, they showed how mentally weak they are and how foolish they play when physical teams get up in their shit.

I wouldn't troll the Knicks if they weren't so fun to troll.

Sometimes its the best part of my day.

Everybody here hates on every good team unless they're an upcoming team where a fan of some scrub suddenly has something to cheer for and we rally around that fanbase

otherwise your best player is a bitch, overrated, etc.
the cynicism is what makes this place so great though

Pkaz01

I was talking to a co-worker yesterday.

This is a lost season. Why not make the best of it and TANK SO HAR?

Fuck going to the playoffs in a year when you aren't winning it all.

If we finish with 18 wins, that's gotta be good enough for a #10 or so pick, right?
Well that sounds absolutely fantastic im all for that idea.

I don't think the Heat are that hated anymore but maybe my perception has changed because I've started to like them a lot more...

Clippers seem to be more hated than OKC or Miami.

Everybody here hates on every good team unless they're an upcoming team where a fan of some scrub suddenly has something to cheer for and we rally around that fanbase

otherwise your best player is a bitch, overrated, etc.
the cynicism is what makes this place so great though
#partoftheproblem

charsace

I don't think the Heat are that hated anymore but maybe my perception has changed because I've started to like them a lot more...

Clippers seem to be more hated than OKC or Miami.

I hate the clippers way more than the Heat. The Flappers are the best bunch of actors in the league. And I hate them for it.

I still hate the Heat because they are the heat. Knicks/Heat hate war forever.

DominoKid

naw this is probably he most open UCLA team in the Howland era. can't throw Howlandball under the bus for this. Bazz just aint nice like that.

i wouldn't touch him unless he fell into my lap on some "Best Player Available" shit. but i've never been that high on him. he didn't pass my eye test.

Omega

Banned

i've been told they are 1-0.

yeah it's just the start of the season but they're undefeated

Only because of jelly Lakers-age.

I don't hate the Clips.

I hate David Stern.

We always see people make posts when questionable calls (or non calls) happen. We see people post things like " made a phone call and fucked us over."

Well, that was all just fan posturing until the CP3 fiasco. Never before had something so blatant happen to specifically target one team. And it was personal.

First the excuse was, the "basketball reasons" was the league didn't want to send a big player like that to a large market, coming outta that labor dispute...it would set a bad precedent...but wait, don't the Lakers and Clippers play in the exact same market?

Then the excuse was that the Clipper deal was better for the Hornets going forward. Yeah, Farooq Aminu and Austin Rivers is fantastic for them. Are we gonna talk about Eric Gordon who has played 3 games for them since coming over?

Yeah, that is a subject that still has me heated because Stern singlehandedly changed the future of my team.

#foreversalty

Ryu, you're almost ready for NeoLakes. You still care too much, but your cynicism is in the gym range.

Naw man.

The game done changed in my absence. I can't be part of the club anymore.

The Wire Season 3 spoiler -->
I feel like the cat that came home and was trying to be part of the game again but realizes it ain't in him no mo'.Please don't respond with shit that happens after this as I'm watching through for the first time and just got to this point.

As far as caring goes, as I said before, this is a lost season. The shit that burns me up is the lost future that involved CP3.

Top Bottom