• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Jan NBA Season lOT2| What Would Kobe Chu?

Flash

Bargnani's not going anywhere, nobody's taking that contract. I mean, maybe there's a trade out there, but it would probably be for something even worse. Like somebody probably still owes Darius Miles $10 million or something.

A man can dream, can't he? I'd honestly take Darius Miles at 10 mil per year over Bargnani lol.

Has there ever been a player more coddled than Bargnani? BC's love and fascination of him is so irrational and inexplicable... is he his biological father or something? does he owe someone a debt or favour? Because what the flying fuck.

In his 7 year span as a Toronto Raptor, Bargnani has changed positions multiple times from SF to PF to C and back to PF. He's gone through multiple coaches, presumably getting them fired because some of them were too tough on him (Sam Mitchell is on record saying he was told by the FO to go easy on him...). He was undeservedly handed a starting spot despite abysmal performances, just because. The guy can't rebound, can't defend, has no low post game, and is an inefficient shooter. In his entire span here, the dude has a 13 game stretch where he was pretty good and that's it. And that's the only bullet point Bargnani fans have - a 13 sample game over a 7 year career.

And yet Colangelo still protects him, and will undoubtedly hand him back the starting position because he is too damn fragile to come of the bench or something. FFS.

(I know I've given this rant way too many times. I'd guess posts like these account for 25% of my post history, but every now and then I need to get it off my chest. Being a raptors fan... doesn't feel good man).

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Bargnani's not going anywhere, nobody's taking that contract. I mean, maybe there's a trade out there, but it would probably be for something even worse. Like somebody probably still owes Darius Miles $10 million or something.

Remember when Trax argued that Bargnani's contract was a good thing at the time it was signed? Good times.

Flash

Remember when Trax argued that Bargnani's contract was a good thing at the time it was signed? Good times.

Colagenlo's way of thinking - we should OVERPAY guys who under perform so we can instill confidence in them! makes sense, right???

This has ultimately resulted in giving retarded contracts to Fields, Kapono, Kleiza... and re-signing Derozan and Bargnani to contracts way above their market value. The only player this has worked out for is Amir Johnson but it's still an unbelievably stupid game plan.

Colagenlo's way of thinking - we should OVERPAY guys who under perform so we can instill confidence in them! makes sense, right???

This has ultimately resulted in giving retarded contracts to Fields, Kapono, Kleiza... and re-signing Derozan and Bachmann to contracts way above their market value. The only player this has worked out for is Amir Johnson but it's still an unbelievably stupid game plan.

BC probably gets the best gifts on bosses day though. Bargs probably buys him a car every year. He's the perfect boss.

thekad

Banned
re: Charlotte, 3 tank years in a row is all you get before fingers start getting pointed. Cho and MJ are going to have to start flipping some of the young guys for actual talent pretty soon.

The Cats were legit bad for a while, hell, they still do some goofy shit. It happens when you have a bunch of rookies and sophmores.

Bobcats could get away with another season or two of being bad.

The Cats were legit bad for a while, hell, they still do some goofy shit. It happens when you have a bunch of rookies and sophmores.

Bobcats could get away with another season or two of being bad.

No one wants to play here. No one wants to watch the team. Charlotte is largely apathetic about the Bobcats. They can get the Hornets name back and the apathy will still be there all the same. I haven't seen a team routinely get fucked in terms of draft/draft order as much as the Bobcats. They're doing the exact same thing OKC did except Charlotte's results have been the exact opposite. The only way that team is going to get better is through miracle trades and the prayer that they land a franchise player. I'm not optimistic about either.

KingGondo

Banned
Yo Knicks-Age, I'm thinking of buying a pair of these John Starks-era OSU shorts.

tumblr_lzr4snTozB1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

http://www.retrocollegecuts.com/product-p/1988-okst.htm

Pricey though.

Vahagn

No one wants to play here. No one wants to watch the team. Charlotte is largely apathetic about the Bobcats. They can get the Hornets name back and the apathy will still be there all the same. I haven't seen a team routinely get fucked in terms of draft/draft order as much as the Bobcats. They're doing the exact same thing OKC did except Charlotte's results have been the exact opposite. The only way that team is going to get better is through miracle trades and the prayer that they land a franchise player. I'm not optimistic about either.

And this is why building through the draft is such a high risk move, especially when your FO doesn't have the talent to find gems so it's "best player in the draft or bust".

You spend year after year after year missing the playoffs and being in the lottery, fielding a crappy team and you still have nothing. The Clippers were like this, it took them like 3 decades and god knows how many top 5 picks before they landed Blake, and then they smartened up, stopped tanking to get additional guys in the draft and swung for the fences on some big trades and signed all this talent.

There's no excuse for year after year after year putting sub par effort and not trying to field a competitive team or loseing games intentionally. You get hit by injuries like crazy so you tank one season? Fine. Like if Minny tanked this year to try to get another core guy through the draft that would be understandable.

Jalen Rose is pitching this idea of KG on the Spurs. Would be awesome if a deal like that was to go down. But who does SA have that Boston wants/needs? Splitter, Patty Mills, Matt Bonner?

KingGondo

Banned
thats a lot of money for men short shorts
Not sure if they're actually cut the same way as the old shorts were. I probably wouldn't buy them if they were.

theignoramus said:
Jalen Rose is pitching this idea of KG on the Spurs. Would be awesome if a deal like that was to go down. But who does SA have that Boston wants/needs? Splitter, Patty Mills, Matt Bonner?
OKC has pieces the Celtics would want (the Raptors pick, Lamb, PJ3) and I think KG would make us quite a bit better. Doubt we make any moves though.

I think KG and Duncan hate each other, but both guys are team-orientated enough for it to work though.

Leonard and an expiring (which would have to be Jax) for KG would leave the Spurs pretty short-handed at SF so they'd have to move Splitter for a SF so that would cause a lot of instability even if KG would be a perfect fit for the Spurs other than the Mother's Day taunts to Duncan.

Parker-Green-Leonard-Splitter-Duncan has been one of the best lineups in the NBA (107 ORtg, 89 DRtg) so I don't know if San Antonio would want to break that up right now.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Duncan hates Garnett. He'd never be a Spur.

5 His Buddy KG

Just kidding, as this might count in his favor. In fact, Duncan hates Kevin Garnett. Hates him the way liberals hate Sean Hannity. This information comes from very reliable sources, who talk about how KG has made a career of trying to punk Duncan, baiting him and slapping him and whispering really weird smack into his ear. They talk about how funny this is, because the worst thing you can do as an opponent is piss off Duncan. Then, as Malik Rose says, "he f------ destroys you." Duncan's lifetime numbers versus Garnett's teams, by the way: 19.4 points per game, 11.6 boards and a 44--17 record, including the postseason.

Duncan is diplomatic about the topic. Asked if perhaps all those years battling Garnett have softened his feelings for the man, led to a Magic-Larry type of kinship, Duncan leans back on the couch in his hotel room and grins. There is a pause. A longer pause. Finally he says, "Define kinship."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1198491/3/index.htm

And this is why building through the draft is such a high risk move, especially when your FO doesn't have the talent to find gems so it's "best player in the draft or bust".

You spend year after year after year missing the playoffs and being in the lottery, fielding a crappy team and you still have nothing. The Clippers were like this, it took them like 3 decades and god knows how many top 5 picks before they landed Blake, and then they smartened up, stopped tanking to get additional guys in the draft and swung for the fences on some big trades and signed all this talent.

There's no excuse for year after year after year putting sub par effort and not trying to field a competitive team or loseing games intentionally. You get hit by injuries like crazy so you tank one season? Fine. Like if Minny tanked this year to try to get another core guy through the draft that would be understandable.

I agree, at a certain point you have to just go with what you have and make moves to be as competitive as possible. If we haven't found a franchise guy by the 2014 draft we'll have to just work with what we have.

thekad

Banned
I can't find the salaries for a KG to OKC trade. KMart makes too much sense in OKC and Boston isn't taking back Perkins contract without raiding all of the Thunder's assets (Lamb, PJIII, TOR pick). Trading Harden and PJIII for KG, KMart, and shedding Perk doesn't sound so bad, though.

Edit: actually it's terrible, but less bad

Bynum would be like the asshole son Jeffrey never had. They'd go out to clubs together, fuckef up hair and fucked up jeans, refuse to take pictures with fans or sign autographs, ordering drinks on other people's tabs and taking up handicap parking spotsz

Flash

if I were OKC i would make a trade involving Raptors pick and Perkins and Maynor for KG. Edit: Added PJIII in there too so it's more attractive to Boston. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b3jumg6

Raptors pick will probably be 7-10 range, and while it would add another nice piece, it won't immediately further their ring aspirations as adding KG would. OKC needs to be in a win now mind set. Their main roadblock to a chip is going to be the Heat... Perkins is pretty much useless against them, whereas KGs defense on Bosh could be huge. Plus they already got a nice young player in Lamb who seems to be developing along nicely in the D-league.

Boston should be thinking about blowing it up and a you might as well start by stock piling as many draft picks as possible.

KingGondo

Banned
if I were OKC i would make a trade involving Raptors pick and Perkins and Maynor for KG. Edit: Added PJIII in there too so it's more attractive to Boston. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b3jumg6

Raptors pick will probably be 7-10 range, and while it would add another nice piece, it won't immediately further their ring aspirations as adding KG would. OKC needs to be in a win now mind set. Their main roadblock to a chip is going to be the Heat... Perkins is pretty much useless against them, whereas KGs defense on Bosh could be huge. Plus they already got a nice young player in Lamb who seems to be developing along nicely in the D-league.

Boston should be thinking about blowing it up and a you might as well start by stock piling as many draft picks as possible.
I would do that trade. I wish we got another big back... I'd push for Fab Melo if I'm Presti. Not ideal, but size is more important in the West than it is in the East.

So it would be:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bzpllay

+ the Raptors pick from OKC to Boston. I would do that trade.

jjasper

+ the Raptors pick from OKC to Boston. I would do that trade.
So a hall of famer for a fake tough guy that sucks, a PG that has lost his game after blowing out his ACL, a mental midget that hasn't done anything since his first year of college, and a late lotto pick in a shit draft. You would do that? I am shocked.

KingGondo

Banned
So a hall of famer for a fake tough guy that sucks, a PG that has lost his game after blowing out his ACL, a mental midget that hasn't done anything since his first year of college, and a late lotto pick in a shit draft. You would do that? I am shocked.
Normally I'd say you're right, but Boston has a history with Perk. They're one of the few teams that values him.

The overriding point is that OKC is one of the only contending teams with the assets to swing a move like that.

Well, Charlotte has gotten fucked in the draft and it's undeniable. Big men don't grow on trees and they missed out on Dwight Howard and Anthony Davis because they drew the second pick. They botched the Morrison draft. They also got screwed in a couple of other drafts by missing out on Chris Paul and other players. It's funny how that franchise continues to draft role players and they're still stuck with enormously shitty contracts because Dallas fleeced them. They're paying Warrick, Diop, Ben Gordon, and Tyrus Thomas pretty big money. There hasn't been a team in the NBA over the past decade that has been so unlucky in the draft and has made so many bone headed trades. At least they're not stuck overpaying Matt Carrol.

re: Charlotte, 3 tank years in a row is all you get before fingers start getting pointed. Cho and MJ are going to have to start flipping some of the young guys for actual talent pretty soon.

pretty much yeah

In a perfect world we can tank forever until we hit, but even if GM's didn't have concerns of being fired, the assets that teams do have will just bolt because the teams shittiness has soiled their ability to earn in future contracts and or they want to be competitive.

While the assets acquired during the tank probably can't actually leave (good players never truly leave until their second contract), they can make life hell ( Kevin Love) for the team and management, forcing them to acquire better talent through free agency.

The Cats can probably get away with another year or being bad before Kemba starts floating rumors that he wants out or emails from MKG crying to Calipari about him wishing he stayed at UK leak, but eventually they are going to have to try to be competitive in free agency or through trades.

I'm pretty sure the Cats turned down Raymond Felton and Sean May for CP3 before the 2005 draft.

So rebuilding through the draft isn't a risky strategy, having a terrible front office is.

Normally I'd say you're right, but Boston has a history with Perk. They're one of the few teams that values him.

The overriding point is that OKC is one of the only contending teams with the assets to swing a move like that.

Lol Boston didn't value him 2 years ago when he was their starting C and they traded him for an underachieving SF. How much value do you think they have in him now that he is on a bigger contract, sucks even more, and they are rebuilding? Fab Melo and Jason Terry don't give a shit about Ubuntu.

Lol Boston didn't value him 2 years ago when he was their starting C and they traded him for an underachieving SF. How much value do you think they have in him now that he is on a bigger contract, sucks even more, and they are rebuilding? Fab Melo and Jason Terry don't give a shit about Ubuntu.

You probably don't want to see that deal happen, and I doubt it will, but it really makes sense for both teams.

When you tank, a 3 year (counting this year) deal for 8 million per is basically nothing. And the fact that Perk actually sucks is great for tanking.

Funny thing is despite how bad Ainge is he seems to actually understand how to tank. Just by the fact that he's willing to go as far as getting rid of Rondo to be truly bad enough to get a superstar shows how commited he would be once they decide to go that route. Most teams would keep Rondo as a young assett, surround him with some shit and hope they get lucky.

As unlucky as we've been since the Hornets left town I'm still damned happy we even have a team. As hapless as we've been it's still better than nothing.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
As unlucky as we've been since the Hornets left town I'm still damned happy we even have a team. As hapless as we've been it's still better than nothing.

So you're saying you'd be equally pleased with a pee-wee basketball team, as well?

KingGondo

Banned
Jeff Gomes is definitely underachieving, but that didn't stop Ainge from giving him $8-9 million per. And don't forget that Rondo and Perk are BFFs. Rondo is their franchise player now, and that's a factor when you make decisions.

Dark FaZe said:
You probably don't want to see that deal happen, and I doubt it will, but it really makes sense for both teams.

When you tank, a 3 year (counting this year) deal for 8 million per is basically nothing. And the fact that Perk actually sucks is great for tanking.

Funny thing is despite how bad Ainge is he seems to actually understand how to tank. Just by the fact that he's willing to go as far as getting rid of Rondo to be truly bad enough to get a superstar shows how commited he would be once they decide to go that route. Most teams would keep Rondo as a young assett, surround him with some shit and hope they get lucky.
Good points as well. If they're going for the tank (which I'd imagine they're seriously considering), a top 10 pick, Perkins, and a couple young guys (Maynor and Lamb) would be a nice haul for KG and Melo.

I'd ultimately be fine with trading Lamb, I just don't want to change my avatar again so soon. :(

Top Bottom