• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

BFfjyMzCYAAbFpT.jpg:large

Nice tifo by ESC

Dartastic

SEATTLE, YOU KNOW YOUR TEAM'S FANS ARE EMBARRASSING WHEN YOU'RE AT HOME AND YOU CAN HEAR THE OPPOSING TEAM'S CHANTS OVER THE TV. LET'S GOOOO TIMBERSSSS

Osorio

I feel like Seattle is always winning these matches

Too much of a one-sided rivalry on the field to be the best rivalry imo

I know they are on the road but Houston look really poor. Not playing well as a team and a lot of sloppy challenges. Maybe still recovering from CONCACAF.

Was hoping for some Fantasy Manager points from Brad Davis. I had a good week but I don't have any Galaxy players and they are due for some good showing later.

Edit: And there it is.

SEATTLE, YOU KNOW YOUR TEAM'S FANS ARE EMBARRASSING WHEN YOU'RE AT HOME AND YOU CAN HEAR THE OPPOSING TEAM'S CHANTS OVER THE TV. LET'S GOOOO TIMBERSSSS

Blame it on the production crew. We wouldn't be able to hear many chants at all if the supporters' sections weren't miced.

Missed this weekend Union game, my kids academy had a tournament so there was no way I spending all of Sat. out in the freezing cold and rain then drive to Philly to do it for another 3 hours. Glad my Union boys won tho, Jack Mac comes through AGAIN!

Its nice to see Le Toux back and such but I'm a strong believer the Jack Mac + Hoppenot combo is the truth! Last week vs. Colorado them came together to nab the game winner then again this week Jack does it again.

Finally some rumors swirling about Freddy Adu being traded.
The Philadelphia Union outcast is close to completing a transfer to Brazilian club Esporte Clube Bahia (better known as “Bahia”). He will travel to Brazil this week to finalize the move, according to Soccer By Ives.

And rumors popped up today we might get a player in exchange!
BRAZILIAN REPORTS IDENTIFY KLEBERSON AS PLAYER HEADING TO UNION FOR ADU

Kleberson-Getty-600x383.jpg

The Philadelphia Union are on the verge of unloading out-of-favor midfielder Freddy Adu to Brazilian side Bahia, and reports out of Brazil have Kleberson heading the other way in a swap deal. The World Cup-winning midfielder will join the Union as soon as Adu and Bahia reach an agreement on a transfer.

Sources tell SBI that Adu is set to travel to Brazil on Tuesday, where he will complete the signing that will put an end to his time with the Union after less than two years with the club. A standout on the 2002 Brazilian World Cup team, Kleberson parlayed that into a move to Manchester United, where he spent two largely disappointing seasons. After a stint with Besiktas, Kleberson enjoyed a five-year run with Brazilian side Flamengo before joining Bahia in 2012.

Next game up is Union taking on Pumas in a friendly...which I'll miss again since my son has a State Cup game that same day.

Nine MLS players called up for the US World Cup qualifiers.

GK - Johnson + Rimando

Defenders - Beltran, Beesler, Gonzalez and Morrow

Mid Fielders - Beckermann and Zusi

Forward - Johnson

Dat back line is such a liability for the USMNT.

Another MLS season, eh?

Another embarrassing year for TFC?

Well I was expecting much worse from TFC than they've looked so far. They looked very competitive in both road losses and beat KC at home.

So I was in Montreal for the TFC game there and the final count was over 3000 Toronto fans making the trip. Really impressive.

Osorio

As I stated before I hope Chivas is successful with this Brown Power squad they've put together. If it works out MLS has a villain like the NBA has the Heat or MLB has the Yankees, etc.

Looks like the Union are making 2 surprising moves this week.

"rumored" Adu is out to Bahia..and now Bakary Soumare is asking to be traded...

http://www.phillysoccerpage.net/2013/03/19/soumare-asks-union-to-trade-him/

Soumare asks Union to trade him
soumare-ppl.jpg

Bakary Soumare has asked Philadelphia Union to trade him, and the Union have agreed to do so.

The 27-year-old center back and former all-star has been relegated to the bench this season after recovering from knee surgeries in 2012. Union manager John Hackworth has instead opted for Amobi Okugo and Jeff Parke as his starting center backs.
“It’s definitely not a role I’m used to, and it’s not a situation I want to be in,” Soumare told the Philly Soccer Page on Monday night in an interview from Bamako, Mali, where he joined Mali’s national team en route to Kigali, Rwanda, for a World Cup qualifier against Rwanda.
“I’ve requested to go elsewhere. We’re working on it, and we’ll see.”
Hackworth indicated the Union will accommodate Soumare.
“Baky has made it clear that he would like to be traded, and we are working to make that happen,” Hackworth said Tuesday in a statement issued by the Union to the Philly Soccer Page.

Philadelphia acquired Soumare last June, but he only played one regular season match due to slow recovery from a knee injury the club knew about prior to his acquisition. Former Union manager Peter Nowak traded captain Danny Califf to Chivas USA to clear room for Soumare, who had known Nowak for years due to shared ties with their former club, the Chicago Fire. Nowak also sent Vancouver a first round draft pick and allocation money for the right to acquire Soumare. Philadelphia fired Nowak two weeks before announcing the Soumare deal.
Soumare said he wonders if he hasn’t gotten opportunities because he was Nowak’s choice, not Hackworth’s, but he doesn’t know.
“I thought it was going to be my job to lose, but I feel wasn’t given a fair chance,” Soumare said. “Not to take away from Amobi. I think he’s one of the best in the league at this position. If I lost my job, that would be one thing. To not be given the job at all …”
Soumare expected to join the starting lineup after center back Carlos Valdes left the Union this winter. But the Union also acquired Parke, a former Seattle Sounders stalwart who grew up in Downingtown, Pa., and wanted to move closer to family after his wife gave birth to their first child last year.

Okugo and Parke have played well this season, and Soumare doesn’t question either player’s quality.
“It’s more the fact that (Hackworth) never gave me the job to begin with, and that’s what I thought I was here for,” Soumare said. “And Amobi, he’s done a fantastic job. And Jeff, Jeff, he was given the spot. And he’s a good player. I thought I was going to be back there with Jeff, and Amobi in midfield.
“Even though I’ve played for eight years, I’m 27. I’m in the prime of my career. The last thing I want to do is watch from the sidelines.”

Soumare said he’s “unsure why” he’s not playing and has “heard different reasons.” Before opening day, Hackworth told Soumare he would not start because of concerns Soumare couldn’t go the full 90 minutes, according to Soumare, who concedes his match fitness isn’t what it would be if he was playing 90-minute games. Soumare said a Union coach told one of his representatives the center back was overweight, despite Soumare weighing the same 210 pounds he weighed while with Chicago. “I shouldn’t have to be told that by my agent,” Soumare said.

Soumare said he asked Union chief executive Nick Sakiewicz for advice because he respected Sakiewicz and felt the executive supported him. Sakiewicz suggested he talk with Hackworth.
Eventually, Soumare resigned himself to leaving Philadelphia after what he calls “the most frustrating part of my career,” adding, “I lose sleep over this.” He said he rejected a call-up to Mali’s national team for the African Cup of Nations in January so he could join the Union in training camp. Mali shocked many by placing third in the tourney.

“The hardest part is that I feel like I can contribute to this team,” Soumare said, adding, “I love my locker room. I love my teammates. I don’t want to say I hate my job. (But) I don’t enjoy getting up in the morning and going to work, and that’s never happened in my seven years as a pro.”

He said his situation makes little sense for Philadelphia either because of his high salary, which has increased from the $240,000 base figure he made last year.
“If you’re not using that guy, why keep him around as a third string (center back)?” Soumare said. “You can get a third string for a fraction of what I cost you.”

Soumare worries that his lack of playing time will raise questions among other teams, who may wonder whether he truly is recovered from last year’s injury problems. “I think there’s a question mark, which is fair,” Soumare said.

When Soumare signed with the Union the day the 2012 summer transfer window opened, his arrival was highly anticipated. The Union had hinted at a big summer signing, and Soumare was it. In 2007, Chicago made Soumare the second player pick in the MLS amateur draft. In 2008, Soumare made the MLS Best XI and was one of three nominees for Defender of the Year. A year later, he made the all-star team and, after a dust-up with then-coach Denis Hamlett, moved to French club Boulogne on a$2.1 million transfer, at the time the highest such fee for a defender in league history. He later went on loan to Karlsruher in Germany before seeking a return to MLS and the country he now calls home.
Soumare prefers a move to another MLS club. He lives in Chicago during the off-season, and his former team could need a replacement for injured center back Arne Friedrich. New York also has a gaping hole next to Jamison Olave at center back, with Marcus Holgersson no more than a mediocre stopgap and Heath Pearce a better fit at left back in place of Roy Miller. The question is whether Soumare’s salary can fit into a team’s budget, something he said he recognizes.

“I just want to go somewhere now where I feel wanted and needed,” Soumare said. “Whether it’s Chicago or somewhere else, I don’t care. I don’t have the luxury now to pick where I play. I just want to play.”
However, he also said he would give full effort if Hackworth called upon him.
“I think we are at the point where, if I’m called upon, I’ll get the job done because I’m a good pro,” Soumare said. “But I’m at the point where I need to go.”
“The last thing we want,” Soumare said, “is for this to turn into a Freddy Adu type of situation.”
He makes a good argument. Everyone thought it was gonna be Soumare and Valdes in the back then once Valdes left and Parke came in we thought it would be Parke/Soumare.
But Hackworth is set on having Amboi Okugo play CB, everybody thought it would be his year to go back to his natural DM position...guess not.

Only the Union can pay one guy $240k (and a first round draft pick) a year to ride the bench for 9 months, and have thier highest paid player paid to NOT come to work...

UncleO

Looks like the Union are making 2 surprising moves this week.

"rumored" Adu is out to Bahia..and now Bakary Soumare is asking to be traded...

He makes a good argument. Everyone thought it was gonna be Soumare and Valdes in the back then once Valdes left and Parke came in we thought it would be Parke/Soumare.
But Hackworth is set on having Amboi Okugo play CB, everybody thought it would be his year to go back to his natural DM position...guess not.

Only the Union can pay one guy $240k (and a first round draft pick) a year to ride the bench for 9 months, and have thier highest paid player paid to NOT come to work...

Just another case of Hack & Co. saying certain things to the media/public, but singing a different tune, moving the goalposts, and/or acting contrary to their initial statements. Cant wait till the only suitor for him is NYRB and he goes there and solidifies their backline. Results be damn i am DONE with Hackworth. All he wants in the team are marathon runners who can occasionally kick the ball around. BTW... over/under on the amount of time before Roger turns in his transfer request?

Osorio

hartman_sign.jpg

Yep it's in the books

The New York Red Bulls announced today that they have signed two-time MLS Cup winning goalkeeper Kevin Hartman. In addition to being a part of the senior roster, Hartman will serve as a Goalkeeping Development Manager, working with the club's young goalkeepers, including academy players.

Very good pickup. Addressing an issue we had very early in the season.

Nesotenso

SKC starting XI against NE: Nielsen ©, Jerome, Collin, Opara, Sinovic, Nagamura, Rosell, Feilhaber, Sapong, Bieler, Saad.

with Zusi and Beseler on international duty Saad and Opara take their place. I am interested to see how Saad plays with the start.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Our young Brazilian DP is finally being given a chance to play. He can't be worse than Pajoy so I'm excited to see how he plays.

Askani

SKC starting XI against NE: Nielsen ©, Jerome, Collin, Opara, Sinovic, Nagamura, Rosell, Feilhaber, Sapong, Bieler, Saad.

with Zusi and Beseler on international duty Saad and Opara take their place. I am interested to see how Saad plays with the start.

Me too. He's had some shakey play lately. I want to see him pick up his game again and a start is his best chance to do it.

Nesotenso

Me too. He's had some shakey play lately. I want to see him pick up his game again and a start is his best chance to do it.

coming in as a sub in the last 10 doesn't help. He looked good in preseason and I like what little I have seen so far of his technical ability.

Askani

Ugh. So close to a goal. SKC smell blood in the water.

lol. And EXACTLY as I'm typing that the color man on TV says they smell blood in the water.

Askani

Saad is looking mostly solid.

Glad to see Rosell getting aggressive. And it's controlled. He's getting in there and really going for the ball.

shep messing is so awesome

"the great thing about football is that it embraces all races and cultures. but when it comes to chivas, they are borderline racists . . . it's time for them to leave the league." (not exact quote, going off memory)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom