• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Mar NBA Season lOT| Change This Face, Be Happy, Enjoy it!

Vahagn

I really appreciate the lengthy definition of f*@kball. I had seen the term used a couple of times but wasn't sure what exactly it meant.

And my brain 100% agreess that the term describes how Indiana plays exactly. They are painfully boring to watch.

Is Memphis the poor man's San Antonio then?

For years I used to say that the only way you could beat the Spurs was to force then into situations that their system couldn't handle or that their players weren't comfortable with. That was years ago though and no longer applies. They are just too good now.

I'm really not that scared of SA at all. While I'm scared of Pop's coaching prowess, I'm not scared by that team's personnel. They remind me of the mid-decade Phx teams that were head and shoulders above everyone else in the league in terms of executing their offense that you just didn't have time to prep for a way to slow it down in the regular season. But a more talented team in the playoffs (not deeper, but having guys who are better than SA's best guys) can beat them.

I for one think it's going to make a world of difference to LA if they get in and play SA first vs. if they play OKC.

rando14

I'm really not that scared of SA at all. While I'm scared of Pop's coaching prowess, I'm not scared by that team's personnel. They remind me of the mid-decade Phx teams that were head and shoulders above everyone else in the league in terms of executing their offense that you just didn't have time to prep for a way to slow it down in the regular season. But a more talented team in the playoffs (not deeper, but having guys who are better than SA's best guys) can beat them.

I for one think it's going to make a world of difference to LA if they get in and play SA first vs. if they play OKC.

LA can't beat the spurs in the playoffs

edit: oh fuck I just realized I responded to vahagn, now I'm going to have to read his essay response

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I really appreciate the lengthy definition of f*@kball. I had seen the term used a couple of times but wasn't sure what exactly it meant.

And my brain 100% agreess that the term describes how Indiana plays exactly. They are painfully boring to watch.

Is Memphis the poor man's San Antonio then?

For years I used to say that the only way you could beat the Spurs was to force then into situations that their system couldn't handle or that their players weren't comfortable with. That was years ago though and no longer applies. They are just too good now.
Yes. Just not nearly as good (obviously) and not quite as dynamic either. They still fall into the same traps as SA does and you named it. If they're ever outside their favored style of play, they implode - no top five defense necessary. Also, Hollins is a Del Negro-tier coach.
What is OKC FT spamming playstyle?

OKC FT spamming playstyle

duh
Thanks Giri and Dy for breaking down fuckball..

np

didn't know so many people weren't up on the definition. contrary to popular belief, i don't just hate on things for no reason at all

Vahagn

LA can't beat the spurs in the playoffs

edit: oh fuck I just realized I responded to vahagn, now I'm going to have to read his essay response

Yea I doubt they can either. But OKC presents a much harder challenge than SA does for a old slow team like LA imo...it's not even really close.

Flash

It'd really depend on the Rocket bigs which are an unknown.

Westbrook taking things personally is the last thing OKC needs to happen against a team that's just as offensively capable as they are.

Yup, when I mentioned YNB taking things personally I meant that it would be detrimental to OKC and favorable for Houston

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Yes. Just not nearly as good (obviously) and not quite as dynamic either. They still fall into the same traps as SA does and you named it. If they're ever outside their favored style of play, they implode - no top five defense necessary. Also, Hollins is a Del Negro-tier coach.

I don't know they aren't made anything like the current SAS...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Well yeah, there's clearly no Ginobli on that team. In a way, Gasol's passing is the only thing close...

I'm really just speaking on their efficiency (or aim to be) on the offensive end.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

I enjoy watching the Spurs more the last couple of years, but these Grizz remind too much of the Bruce Bowen tempo Spurs which I hated watching.
And I think that their ability to control tempo is what makes these teams so dangerous in the playoffs. Opposing teams have to waste so much energy concentrating on pushing tempo that they don't get to play their own style much at all. One of the reasons I loved the Suns/Spurs series on a couple of years ago. Their styles were so polar opposites.

How about the Bowen era Spurs? Similarities?

When I say "poor man's Spurs" I'm thinking more along the lines of not being as far along in growth as a team. The Spurs today are ridiculously efficient. But several years ago a team could make those wheels fall off still and push them to do things that weren't good at. I can't think of something that the Spurs don't so well this year though.

Well yeah, there's clearly no Ginobli on that team. In a way, Gasol's passing is the only thing close...

I'm really just speaking on their efficiency (or aim to be) on the offensive end.

they have no one even close to Danny Green either, his transition pull ups are killer.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I feel like Knux right now

except I have to sit through 1 playoff round.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
fuck this season

2013-2014 Spurs NBA champions bandwagon starts here

______

Top Bottom