• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

Bennett was the biggest reach, but he reminds me of some weird hybrid of Larry Johnson and Paul Millsap. He'll probably be more productive than anyone in the top five, but it's a shitty draft to begin with.

Zeller will be a better player than Kidd Gilchrist. I'd bet huge money on that. Zeller is already a better shooter, for one.

exarkun

I didn't post much during the draft, but I watched all of it and loved the Simmons melt down.

For the rockets, Im surprised Canaan slipped so far. I would have thought a team like NY would have picked him up. Or the pacers. Teams that needed offense and a guy who is comfortable with the pick and roll.

He seems to have some problems with his PG skills since he plays a bit of AAU fuck you ball, when instead he should be playing as a real PG. And his defense seems a bit...entitled. Like since he gives them so many points, he doesn't have to overexert on the other end. A good pick for the rockets since we lost delfino, but he needs to up his intensity on the defensive end and look for open teammates more often if he wants to supplant Lin.

Khalid-S

So Rondo is now the man in Celtics? Who will he pass the ball to for his assists?

Next season is going to be fun.

Edit: Lakers need to put Myck Kabongo on the summer team. Building up that Canadian tradition with Nash/Kabongo/Wiggins.

GreensBigDunk_original.gif

Anyone else surprised Seth Curry wasn't drafted?

No. He's a bit undersized for the 2, hasn't demonstrated that he can handle the point, not sure he can create his own shot in the NBA, plus he battled injury all year, had surgery following the season and couldn't work out for teams.

I think he'll sign, be in training camp, might make a roster or spend time in the D-league/overseas. In 4 years, he'll be sitting on the Duke bench holding a clipboard. I hope I'm wrong and he has a long NBA career.

Wtf am I reading?

They had to bring in a fucking shooting coach this year to help Kidd Gilchrist with his shot. I watch the Bobcats play and he is overrated as hell. They were looking to trade him for a reason. Zeller is one of the better picks that the Bobcats have made, but they made the wrong choice considering better players tumbled into their laps and they passed on them. The Bobcats motto should be, "We're so incompetent we could fuck up a wet dream."

B.O.O.M

"C.J. McCollum was the player we wanted going into the draft, and I'm very excited to watch him thrill our fans in the Rose Garden next season." - Owner Paul Allen

Of the undrafteds, I'll say Richard Howell always looked like a beast when he played against Duke. I think he should catch on with somebody and be an effective backup on a playoff team.

I hope Bennett becomes a star just to make all talking heads and draft experts on ESPN look bad. Can't help but root for the Cavs, kinda like the Browns and Indians. It must be brutal being a Cleveland sports fan.

why would Denver trade Koufas for Arthur? What a great trade for Memphis. Koufas is instantly the best backup C in the league.

I agreed with them trading Koufas, but not for Arthur...

LN reads like they expected top 20 quality in the second half of the second round. Kelly's a good player. Is he a starter? No. You don't usually find starters at 48. But barring further injury, he should play a few years and be effective in spurts.

fertygo

Jrue is meh.. but I'm actually excited to see him in Pelicans next year, great trade for NO.. Didn't make too much sense for them to have Noel beside Davis.

Smokey

I didn't post much during the draft, but I watched all of it and loved the Simmons melt down.

For the rockets, Im surprised Canaan slipped so far. I would have thought a team like NY would have picked him up. Or the pacers. Teams that needed offense and a guy who is comfortable with the pick and roll.

He seems to have some problems with his PG skills since he plays a bit of AAU fuck you ball, when instead he should be playing as a real PG. And his defense seems a bit...entitled. Like since he gives them so many points, he doesn't have to overexert on the other end. A good pick for the rockets since we lost delfino, but he needs to up his intensity on the defensive end and look for open teammates more often if he wants to supplant Lin.

I think he'll be good in our system. Morey is good with 2nd rounders and he will provide some scoring punch off the bench until he takes over Lin's spot

LN reads like they expected top 20 quality in the second half of the second round. Kelly's a good player. Is he a starter? No. You don't usually find starters at 48. But barring further injury, he should play a few years and be effective in spurts.

This is true of every fanbase. They all think these 2nd round picks matter. What are the odds of a second round pick averaging 20mpg in their career? 10%? Much lower after 40.

Advanced metrics rated him decently. He's a stretch 4, which the Lakers need. I have no problem with it just like I have no problem with the others.

I just looked at the last 3 drafts past 40. Fucking barren desert. Ebanks still one of the best drafted, lol.

exarkun

I think he'll be good in our system. Morey is good with 2nd rounders and he will provide some scoring punch off the bench until he takes over Lin's spot

Morey is magical with those 2nd rounders. And defense can be instilled with patience and effort. I just fear McHale won't have that for a rookie.

And you ready for Linsanity to be over, huh? Damn brah, you gonna make him just live off his Volkswagen endorsement money. Fucked up.

Cipherr

LCZ3Q7T.jpg

Clown ass dude.... I sorta wish his egg headed ass didnt get moved to Brooklyn so that I could actually hope for the best for the Nets next year. But moving Terry there fucks that all up.

No one has been able to explain to me who the Bobcats should have drafted. Oladipo and Porter were already off the board. Len is a reach. Nerls was red flagged. The Bobcats are going to push the ball this year and they'll likely start Zeller at PF. He's athletic and he apparently impressed many GMs during his workouts. It was a shitty draft, face it.

No one has been able to explain to me who the Bobcats should have drafted. Oladipo and Porter were already off the board. Len is a reach. Nerls was red flagged. The Bobcats are going to push the ball this year and they'll likely start Zeller at PF. He's athletic and he apparently impressed many GMs during his workouts. It was a shitty draft, face it.

Honestly, if you're the Cats, you shoot for the fences and take Noel. What's the downside? If he knee fails, you are no worse off. If it's fine, you get a huge impact player.

I wouldn't take a guy whose described as maybe Byron Mullens, but maybe that's just me.

They could also have traded the pick. The draft was weak at the top but it wasn't shallow.

Honestly, if you're the Cats, you shoot for the fences and take Noel. What's the downside? If he knee fails, you are no worse off. If it's fine, you get a huge impact player.

I wouldn't take a guy whose described as maybe Byron Mullens, but maybe that's just me.

They could also have traded the pick. The draft was weak at the top but it wasn't shallow.

Zeller is going to be automatically better than Noel if Noel is on the injury list. It's actually playing vs. being in a suit on the bench. Even Phoenix passed on the guy and I think Jesus works on their medical staff. That tells you everything.

Cody Zeller isn't close to as soft or dumb as Mullens is: Zeller's biggest issue in college might have been his unwillingness to shoot jumpers really. He can be a good pick-and-pop and pick-and-roll scorer in the future. Cats passing on Noel was a bad move though I think.

Zeller is going to be automatically better than Noel if Noel is on the injury list. It's actually playing vs. being in a suit on the bench. Even Phoenix passed on the guy and I think Jesus works on their medical staff. That tells you everything.

Phx probably thought Len was an inferior twin and screwed up.

Noel is what, 19? Who fucking cares if he doesn't play right away.

This is exactly how teams that are always in a rut stay that way. Adam Morrison could shoot too.

I don't know much about Zeller, but I have a hard time with passing Noel if I'm the Bobcats. You have to have balls in the NBA if you want a chance at being great.

It sounds like Noels knee is way worse than anyone knows outside of team medical staff members who got a look at it. If your medical staff tells you his knee is shot, you have to stay away. Could be an Oden situation.

My assumption is they tried to trade down but couldn't fins a taker. Same with Cleveland. Nobody wanted Noel.

Draftexpress said:
Multiple NBA teams told me today that there are "no concerns whatsoever" with Nerlens Noel's medical report. So strictly a talent decision.

I think teams just made dumb picks valuing "immediate impact" over prime ability. Zeller will be a good player (Len probably not), but I think Noel can be DPotY good in three years.

It sounds like Noels knee is way worse than anyone knows outside of team medical staff members who got a look at it. If your medical staff tells you his knee is shot, you have to stay away. Could be an Oden situation.

My assumption is they tried to trade down but couldn't fins a taker. Same with Cleveland. Nobody wanted Noel.

it's possible but you'd think we would have heard about this days ago if that were true.

I agree that the Oden situation scared people. Still, I think I'd still have taken Oden #2 in that draft (not knowing what would happen) just because of who he was. You have to take risks in the league.

it's why I don't mind what the Nets are doing. Teams that always play it safe end up going nowhere. Even the Spurs show balls. Trading Hill for Leonard was a risky move. So was trading Jefferson and a #1 for Jax. Without those two moves they don't make the finals in the former case and in the latter have no cap flexibility this year.

I fucking hope you are right.

I am seriously stuck between emotions right now.

no feels

You traded an overrated PG for a 1st rounder next year and the right to pay someone $4 mil a year for a few years who either has a bum knee or will be one of the elite defenders in the NBA.

You should be happy. And you get to let Bynum walk. And you will have a lottery pick next year. You could end up with a great Noel, 2 lottery picks next year, and if somehow MCW pans out + great cap flexibility.

Philly has as good a shot as any team to become great in a few years now.

I think Philly and Washington did well for themselves tonight.

It's weird that everybody thinks Jrue is overrated.

Where was this sentiment before?

we really are irrelevant if people don't even feel like calling our players overrated until they leave lol.

Jrue is going to have a nice season next year. Davis is probably the best teammate he has played with in his life.

It's weird that everybody thinks Jrue is overrated.

Where was this sentiment before?

we really are irrelevant if people don't even feel like calling our players overrated until they leave lol.

Jrue is going to have a nice season next year. Davis is probably the best teammate he has played with in his life.

Now y'all can truly tank and not be in NBA purgatory. You're free.

Jonm1010

Banned
I think teams just made dumb picks valuing "immediate impact" over prime ability. Zeller will be a good player (Len probably not), but I think Noel can be DPotY good in three years.
At this point I hope youre wrong. Ill be sick for months if it turns out we traded away what could of potentially been the second pillar in one of the best young front courts in years with Davis and Noel for an above average PG.

Then realizing we also gave up another first round pick will just spiral me into an alcohol induced coma :(

Top Bottom