• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

Derwind

It's weird that everybody thinks Jrue is overrated.

Where was this sentiment before?

we really are irrelevant if people don't even feel like calling our players overrated until they leave lol.

Jrue is going to have a nice season next year. Davis is probably the best teammate he has played with in his life.

Noels knee's are gunna do a miracle recovery & put on 30 pounds and you'll get the decisive win on the Wiggins lottery. Book it.

MCW
Evan Turner
Andrew Wiggins
Arnett
Nerlens Noel

This looks good.... Almost 2001 Iverson era good.... almost

I think teams just made dumb picks valuing "immediate impact" over prime ability. Zeller will be a good player (Len probably not), but I think Noel can be DPotY good in three years.

Yup

Gms are fucking crazy.

I mean I'm not that salty because Porter was second in a lot of advanced stats leader boards but Oladipo and Zeller over Noel is just... At least Len can be Hibbert good.

Would the Pacers ever do a Granger for Vasquez swap?

If I'm Indy, I do Granger for Vazquez + Jason Smith in a heartbeat. Even take Austin Rivers if New Orleans gives up on him just to get Vazquez.

New orleans might do that because they have no SF at all and it's just a 1 year deal and maybe they re-sign him cheaper.

Vazquez-Stephenson-George-West-Hibbert with Hill and Smith off the bench is legit. I'd pick them to come out the East, I think.

Jonm1010

Banned
If I'm Indy, I do Granger for Vazquez + Jason Smith in a heartbeat. Even take Austin Rivers if New Orleans gives up on him just to get Vazquez.

New orleans might do that because they have no SF at all and it's just a 1 year deal and maybe they re-sign him cheaper.

Vazquez-Stephenson-George-West-Hibbert with Hill and Smith off the bench is legit. I'd pick them to come out the East, I think.

Well I guess Gordon will have someone to hang out with when he's out for months on end with his knee problems.

Vahagn

Vazquez-Stephenson-George-West-Hibbert with Hill and Rivers off the bench is legit. I'd pick them to come out the East, I think.

If I'm Austin Rivers, I gotta boost his stock.

No but really though, Indy should be shooting for a better PG than Vasquez. He looks like a classic good stats on bad team guy. Getting an expiring contract and a top 10 SF should get you someone like Rondo if you throw in a first. Indy's core is young, they need a real coach on the floor who will have the other players respect.

If you're trading Granger, get a better PG.

Edit: holy shit 9 APG? Ok Nevermind, ALL good with Vasquez. They should go for Rondo first though.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

No but really though, Indy should be shooting for a better PG than Vasquez. He looks like a classic good stats on bad team guy. Getting an expiring contract and a top 10 SF should get you someone like Rondo if you throw in a first. Indy's core is young, they need a real coach on the floor who will have the other players respect.

Edit: holy shit 9 APG? Ok Nevermind, ALL good with Vasquez. They should go for Rondo first though.

granger and a first for Rondo.... Rondo could help straighten out the pacers fuckball into something a lot more functional while at the same time playing fuckball himself.... that would be a tough team

Granger is old, dude. He's coming off a major knee injury that made him miss the season, essentially. His value is way down. No one is getting Rondo for him.

Vasquez's stats aren't even that good. He's just such a huge upgrade over DJ Augustin it ain't funny.

Pacers can't get Lowry because Raps have Gay. I don't see Dragic being sent for him. Jennings is a bad fit IMO.

So name me a better PG Granger can fetch? the only one, if Dwight left and the lakers were blowing it up, is possibly Nash simply to shed 1 year of his contract but I doubt they'd do it regardless.

edit: why would Boston do the Rondo deal? I mean, Ainge is obviously a moron, but even a 1st from Indy would be worthless. Rondo has a lot more value than fucking Granger...

Vahagn

Granger is old, dude. He's coming off a major knee injury that made him miss the season, essentially. His value is way down. No one is getting Rondo for him.

Vasquez's stats aren't even that good. He's just such a huge upgrade over DJ Augustin it ain't funny.

Pacers can't get Lowry because Raps have Gay. I don't see Dragic being sent for him. Jennings is a bad fit IMO.

So name me a better PG Granger can fetch? the only one, if Dwight left and the lakers were blowing it up, is possibly Nash simply to shed 1 year of his contract but I doubt they'd do it regardless.

Yea I was thinking Nash too but, he's too old, that team will just have to find someone again in another year so I doubt that happens. Granger isn't great but he's an expiring contract to a team in rebuild mode. No one says the Celtics are looking to reload right away, they just sent away one of the top coaches for a single first round pick because they don't wanna spend money during the rebuild. Trade Rondo for Granger and a first, Tank properly, then try to get Wiggins or Parker.

Call me crazy but I don't think Boston wants to pay Rondo 25 million in 2 years just to embrace the tank when he won't re-sign anyway if they're crap.

Also Bird and Ainge? Ainge wanting to beat the heat. Same reason McHale did a deal with Ainge. I really think if Bird pursues it hard, Boston looks at it

I don't think they keep Rondo. I just think they can get real future picks for him or young talent. Rondo for granger would be nothing but a salary swap of 1 season.

They're tanking hard either way. Rondo is going to miss part of the season and, IMO, he's going to look terrible on a team that can't shoot at an elite level, or hell even an average one.

Rondo's entire value offensively is his ability to get people who shoot well great looks. Have fun trying that with reggie evans.

If ainge was smart he sucker in some currently bad team into thinking he's a franchise changer and grab a couple 1st round picks which end up being high lottery.

If the Maloofs still owned Sacramento, I bet they could get Cousins + 2014 1st rounder for him, a lock for top 7 pick.

Maybe Dallas will be dumb enough once they strike out in FA again.

edit: The big problem is that very few teams in the NBA need a starting PG. It'll be interesting to see Jennings market value since I don't know where he can go that would be willing to offer a lot of money. Milwaukee can't be idiots here but then again they offered Ellis a fortune.

Vahagn

I don't think they keep Rondo. I just think they can get real future picks for him or young talent. Rondo for granger would be nothing but a salary swap of 1 season.

They're tanking hard either way. Rondo is going to miss part of the season and, IMO, he's going to look terrible on a team that can't shoot at an elite level, or hell even an average one.

Rondo's entire value offensively is his ability to get people who shoot well great looks. Have fun trying that with reggie evans.

If ainge was smart he sucker in some currently bad team into thinking he's a franchise changer and grab a couple 1st round picks which end up being high lottery.

If the Maloofs still owned Sacramento, I bet they could get Cousins + 2014 1st rounder for him, a lock for top 7 pick.

Maybe Dallas will be dumb enough once they strike out in FA again.

Yea you can obviously get more talent for Rondo, but Boston knows, if they don't get Wiggins or Parker they might be a bottom feeder for 4-6 years. They're gonna need a few lottery picks to get back to respectability and FA's don't flock there unless they're contending.

Considering the hard ball approach the Clips just gave them, and how desperate the C's were to cut costs on Rivers, I think a first, or two firsts and Granger gets them Rondo once Ainge and Larry start shooting the shit again. Plus I think it's a safe bet everyone in that franchise HATES Miami. Shed salary, get picks, help out Bird, and help build a 3rd contender in one summer to try to topple the Heat.

Boston will probably try to get more, and they probably will get more, but that deal can get done for a variety of non-basketball reasons.

Jonm1010

Banned
Earlier joke aside I'd consider granger for Vasquez. We need a SF in a bad way and were not gonna be able to afford iguodala.

Though it'd be funny to see the pacers get burnt from another pelicans PG that looks better then they really are thanks to our system.

Don't get me wrong, Vasquez isn't some chump but his stats are certainly inflated and he's pretty abysmal defensively. Like horribly bad.

I'm not sure how the salaries would work though. We are pretty tied up at the moment and not sure how we'd accommodate Grangers large cap hit.

I didn't think about the Bird-Ainge aspect of it. i'll admit that does alter the landscape a bit.

Jonm- the salary cap allows for a straight swap or maybe 1 smaller player, no problem. You can add someone to the deal as well like Jason Smith.

I think it's a decent move for Hornets to do.

edit: nm I forgot about Jrue Holiday. Changes cap situation a bit.

SamuraiX-

svT8tMS.png

FGJhxvL.png

That was fast. lol

Whats stopping Allen, D. Howard, Jr
Smith from joining Nets???

Seems like the Russian wants to takeout Heat

Oh btw Nets were a great team last year

They just became Amazing

they werent "great" at all. they were eastern conference good, then crapped out in the playoffs to an injured Bulls squad on a 7 man rotation. hopefully KG and Pierce bring a pulse and a soul to that team, only guy who had it last year for them was Gerald Wallace.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
So hardaway (who in hindsight is cool....I just hate his pops so fucking much) and CJ Leslie who is a tweener with DAT upside (and equivalent of second rounder)

OK fine... Not a bad draft

Can someone make a map explaining where everyone ended... So many trades this year. I want to say 76ers and Hawks won this but I am still not 100% on who they got.

it's possible but you'd think we would have heard about this days ago if that were true.

I agree that the Oden situation scared people. Still, I think I'd still have taken Oden #2 in that draft (not knowing what would happen) just because of who he was. You have to take risks in the league.

it's why I don't mind what the Nets are doing. Teams that always play it safe end up going nowhere. Even the Spurs show balls. Trading Hill for Leonard was a risky move. So was trading Jefferson and a #1 for Jax. Without those two moves they don't make the finals in the former case and in the latter have no cap flexibility this year.

With the '07 draft and this one, sure. You take the risk because nobody else available can make half the impact of healthy Oden or healthy Noel. But I would only do that if my medical staff gave me even the slightest bit of hope. If you draft Noel after they tell you his knee is shot, what are they going to do? Shrug and do their best? They've already said they're unequipped to get him on the court. You're setting yourself and your staff up for failure.

That being said, if Noel is healthy and teams passed on him heads need to roll. You are absolutely right in that the NBA rewards risk. You have to chase guys that can make an impact and Noel, if he develops, is one. Who the fuck passes on that for sustained mediocrity?

MiKeD

Banned
So picked Bennett, huh. Absolutely no idea what to make of it, but after picking TT and Dion the previous years, shouldn't be surprised anymore. I believe in Grant and his picks, so we'll see how that goes.

Bennett, though...weird.

Exactly. The guy was worthless down low against "bigs" like Trevor Mbakwe and CJ Fair (note: neither of those players are taller than 6-8). Not sure what Charlotte is expecting in the NBA.

Those guys have grown man muscles, Zeller still looks like a boy. He just needs to pack on some muscle, thankfully that is something that is easily correctable. He will kick ass in pick and pop scenarios in the meantime and in running the fast break. He's the most athletic pf taken in the top 5 since Griffin.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Yea you can obviously get more talent for Rondo, but Boston knows, if they don't get Wiggins or Parker they might be a bottom feeder for 4-6 years. They're gonna need a few lottery picks to get back to respectability and FA's don't flock there unless they're contending.

Considering the hard ball approach the Clips just gave them, and how desperate the C's were to cut costs on Rivers, I think a first, or two firsts and Granger gets them Rondo once Ainge and Larry start shooting the shit again. Plus I think it's a safe bet everyone in that franchise HATES Miami. Shed salary, get picks, help out Bird, and help build a 3rd contender in one summer to try to topple the Heat.

Boston will probably try to get more, and they probably will get more, but that deal can get done for a variety of non-basketball reasons.

Boston is the king of tanking
The epic tank they did for Oden was awesome

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I am sad that we won't see a Davis Noel frontcourt tho

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Those guys have grown man muscles, Zeller still looks like a boy. He just needs to pack on some muscle, thankfully that is something that is easily correctable. He will kick ass in pick and pop scenarios in the meantime and in running the fast break. He's the most athletic pf taken in the top 5 since Griffin.
As long we got a legit PnR guy for Kemba.

That in itself is huge.

Upside is nice and all but this really isn't the draft to swing for the fences. Especially when the answer for us was always really simple. We needed size more than Boston. We have one of the best guards in the league when it comes to splitting double teams at the top of the key. We got a damned good player in MKG that we couldn't play because he was determined to die like Spartacus in the paint alone. We no longer need to see Mullens.

He does everything we need on a bad year and he isn't rocking lead knees. There was absolutely no reason to gamble on Noel in this particular situation. When Phoenix says you're dead, you are dead. That medical staff kept Grant Hill alive and brought Jermaine back from the grave - but they didn't want Noel? And the Horncats were supposed to take him?

That's nonsense.

Go back to laughing at Cleveland.

And yet, i'd take that over noels knee's.

If the SUNS med staff want none of that, then i think the rest you are blowing smoke out your asshole.

;_;

giri pls

That in itself is huge.

Upside is nice and all but this really isn't the draft to swing for the fences. Especially when the answer for us was always really simple. We needed size more than Boston. We have one of the best guards in the league when it comes to splitting double teams at the top of the key. We got a damned good player in MKG that we couldn't play because he was determined to die like Spartacus in the paint alone. We no longer need to see Mullens.

He does everything we need on a bad year and he isn't rocking lead knees. There was absolutely no reason to gamble on Noel in this particular situation. When Phoenix says you're dead, you are dead. That medical staff kept Grant Hill alive and brought Jermaine back from the grave - but they didn't want Noel? And the Horncats were supposed to take him?

That's nonsense.

i agree with this...and not just because we "benefit" from it (I still don't know how to feel guys). i watched a lot more Bobcats games than I should have but their bigs are the worst in terms of scoring (and everything). Bizmack would get the ball and enter the twilight zone and Mullens would think he's god and make himself look like a fool. So if Zeller can do anything, it will be a huge help. Noel also won't play for like 3 months. Tanking or not, the Bobcats can't afford their top pick not to show up. Plus he doesn't solve their offensive woes. I would have picked Ben but putting his fragile ass in that situation would be bad. Imagine Jordan walking into the shower guys.....I do think they should have maybe traded back but rumor has it Zeller would have went over Len to the Suns.

Of course if Zeller busts and Noel is a real person, then this will look really really bad. Doesn't help that Zeller was the only guy they got but tank so hard I guess.

phalestine

aka iby.h
The fact that Jason Kid will now be coaching Pierce/Garnett feels all kinds of weird. I'm excited for it though, the rivalry between the knicks and nets will now be more intense!

That in itself is huge.

That's nonsense.

Mullens being as good as gone is music to my ears, Bismack should be celebrating. And yeah lol all day at Cleveland, Mike Brown or not that is going to be one god awful defensive team. You've seen the workout vids of Zeller right dy? Kid was nailing the 3 from all over the court.

Tom Penny

Celtics tank mode activated. Rondo Rose in full effect next year. I now believe Avery Bradley is has the 2nd longest tenure as a Celtic other than Rondo. Crazy.

shira

So Rondo is now the man in Celtics? Who will he pass the ball to for his assists?

Next season is going to be fun.

Edit: Lakers need to put Myck Kabongo on the summer team. Building up that Canadian tradition with Nash/Kabongo/Wiggins.

sacre2_original.gif

Ben now has to.compete against the other half dozen shooting guards on the Kings roster, he probably would have preferred MJ taking his soul away with his "you better not make me look like a fool and waste my money stare."

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Mullens being as good as gone is music to my ears, Bismack should be celebrating. And yeah lol all day at Cleveland, Mike Brown or not that is going to be one god awful defensive team. You've seen the workout vids of Zeller right dy? Kid was nailing the 3 from all over the court.
Didn't watch the workout vids.

But him getting crap for his sophomore year was a bit much. Dude committed the cardinal sin of sacrificing too much for his team as the star player.

Vestal

So given the inevitable trade..

Safe to assume the East is a 4 team race.

1. Miami
3-4 decided between Bulls/Knicks/Nets?
Really unsure how I would rank them..

Rest of the east.. LOLZ .. who knows we may get a Cavs vs Heat first round matchup next year.

Cornbread78

OK, someone asked and I really don't want to start the rest of my work yet.. In order after all the trades....

1)Cavaliers Anthony Bennet PF
2)Magic Victor Oladipo SG
3)Wizards Otto Porter SF
4)Twolves Cody Zeller C
5)Suns Alex Len C
6)76rs Nerlens Noel C
7)Kings Ben McLemore SG
8)Pistons Kentavious Caldwell-Pope SG
9)Jazz Trey Burke PG
10)Blazers C.J. McCollum SG
11)76rs Michael Carter-Williams PG
12)Thunder Steven Adams C
13)Celtics Kelly Olynyk C
14)Twolves Shabazz Muhammad SF
15)Bucks Giannis Adetokunbo SF
16)Hawks Lucas Nogueira C
17)Hawks Dennis Schroeder PG
18)Mavricks Shane Larkin PG
19)Cavaliers Sergey Karasev SF
20)Bulls Tony Snell SF
21)Twolves Gorgui Dieng C
22)Krooklyn Mason Plumlee C
23)Pacers Solomon Hill SF
24)Knicks Tim Hardaway Jr SG
25)Clippers Reggie Bullock SF
26)Thunder Andre Roberson PF
27)Jazz Rudy Gobert C
28)Spurs Livio Jean-Charles PF
29)Suns Archie Goodwin SG
30)GState Nemanja Nedovic PG

That in itself is huge.

That's nonsense.

Dude, Noels knee is fine. That's been confirmed a dozen times over now and he's ahead of schedule. His knee was said to be "pristine". It's already been stated that Noel was skipped over purely for talent evaluation reasons by all the teams that passed on him.

And the Suns picked Len over Noel because they like his upside better. It's whatever, they are completely wrong, but Len DOES have a chance at being Hibbert good, so it's not as bad as taking a guy who's ceiling is a poor mans Blake Griffin.

And this is coming from someone who thinks the Wizards made a fucking mistake passing over Noel.

already looking at next years prospects.

Outside of the known dudes (Wiggins/Paker/Randall), there are guys like Selden, Young, Mario (international dude), Exum (Aussie), Vonleh.

sure some of them will Shabazz or Barnes it up. but still..

dear base god, let us get a star, I don't even need the first pick (would be swell tho), just don't let this upcoming tankjob go to waste.

My brother lives in Philly, huge philly homer.

I told him the news and he had incredible salt about losing Jrue.

Why do sixers fans love a treadmill knux? Jrue was going to take you on a walk through the sahara dessert.

Top Bottom