• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

last night's draft was just amazing. from all the crazy unknowns i think the best moment was all of stern's trolling and the moment the boos got inherited by adam silver lol

who exactly is the next deputy commissioner?

Bowser

Man, lot of hate on Zeller. I'll trust Cho and his analytics (as well as Kevin Pelton):

11. Cody Zeller, Indiana
Comparisons: LaMarcus Aldridge (95.2), Al Horford, Cedric Simmons, Josh McRoberts

The numbers agree with the Zeller-Aldridge comparison scouts made to Chad Ford, as well as one to Chris Bosh (95.8, but a year younger).

Zeller told us at the NBA draft combine we'd be surprised by his shooting and he backed up that claim Thursday. I tracked his NBA 3-point shots and he shot 72 percent for the workout. That's terrific, especially for a 7-footer. His midrange jumper was even better. Zeller showed the ability to shoot off the bounce and with his feet set. He was especially effective in the corners, where he shot 80 percent from the field for the day.

Combine that small sample with other known qualities of Zeller -- he's the fastest big man in the draft (both laterally and in sprints), has the highest standing vertical (35.5 inches) of any player 6-foot-9 or taller in our database, great hands and a high basketball IQ -- and the question is: Did Zeller go from being overrated to underrated?

Noel and Biyombo would have been redundant. Picking Noel would mean giving up on a 21 year old Biz who has made major strides in his two seasons. Having an offensively skilled 7 footer next to him in the paint will do wonders for Biz #biznation

Frothing at the mouth to watch an Anthony Bennett/Tristan Thompson frontcourt with fucking Waiters and Irving on the wings.

Could be worse than the Lakers defensively.

My brother lives in Philly, huge philly homer.

I told him the news and he had incredible salt about losing Jrue.

Why do sixers fans love a treadmill knux? Jrue was going to take you on a walk through the sahara dessert.

"Bu-but he was an allstar and ONLY 23. and Collins something something"

we have a weird fansbase where when you are on the team you are garbage who should be cut..but once we trade you, we all of a sudden gave up too much.

I like Jrue. I think he's gonna be a really good player once he gets a coach that isn't stupid (Eddie Jordan) or too busy trying to eat other player's souls (Doug). But even if Jrue kept up his pre-all star form (which was his final form IMO), at best he would have taken us to the second round a few times. people say "BUT YOU COULD HVE TANKED WITH HIM". That's nonsense, He and Thad are good enough to win 33 games each year and are generally too prideful (and stupid) to tank properly. Then there is the but you could have added a star next to him...I doubt many other stars will collude and Durant or Rose aren't walking through that door. So the draft was the only way.

I am not sold on Noel's knees. We have a shit history with injured bigs. MCW is asscheeks and will challenge my "If your first name is Michael you will at least be servicable" theory (ruining us Michaels good name SMH) and I wish we would have kept Wolters, so I'm not overjoyed about this haul but if it gets us a top 10 pick next year (and the draft pans out to actually be good) then who gives a shit. Plus the thing people aren't mentioning is that we will be rolling in capspace, something like 36 mil. It's going to be painful as fuck to watch next year but I got my tank. The Sixers are like the worst franchise in the city. The fucking Union gets more pop than them. So this is a homerun swing for us to join the Quad L Alliance with bandwagoners to blot out the sun if it works. and if it doesn't? I'm not going to be too pressed abotu missing out on the Jrue Holiday era of second round finishes and almost could be a contendership. I've had my fill of that.

but if this tank fails....gonna be uuuuugly.

Didn't watch the workout vids.

But him getting crap for his sophomore year was a bit much. Dude committed the cardinal sin of sacrificing too much for his team as the star player.

I'm with you, people forgot that he matched Davis point for point when they went up against one another last year. And guess who won that game? That's right Indiana. He had the best stats of anyone not named Davis last year and he got better last year. People just love to pile on Jordan and the Bobcats, it must suck to still be bitter with him 10 years since he retired. Get over it, MJ didn't preside over all the horrible decisions this franchise made that was Bob Johnson (aka the "Bob"cats). Thankfully, we're turning the page on that era and moving on, it would be nice if the rest of the public could get a clue and do the same.

i still think there's something that scared gms about noel

i mean he was traded for jrue holiday

I'm not sure what to believe at this point.

I mean, there are reports that the Wiz, Magic, and Cavs medical staffs cleared his knee and he got clear marks from Dr. Andrews:

“We’re really happy with his progress,” Andrews told ESPN. “He’s several weeks ahead of schedule on his rehab. He’s improving on a weekly basis. He has a completely stable knee. The bone plugs are completely healed into the bone. His muscle and weight is returning. He has had no setbacks at all.”

And Dr. Andrews' reputation is beyond question.

I'm just leaning towards trash GM work.

Phx probably thought Len was an inferior twin and screwed up.

Noel is what, 19? Who fucking cares if he doesn't play right away.

This is exactly how teams that are always in a rut stay that way. Adam Morrison could shoot too.

I don't know much about Zeller, but I have a hard time with passing Noel if I'm the Bobcats. You have to have balls in the NBA if you want a chance at being great.

Morrison was not the athlete Zeller is. He also couldn't rebound or play any semblance of defense. That is an apple to oranges comparison. They don't even play the same position. A PF that is a seven footer that can also shoot is a commodity in the NBA.

I guarantee you the Bobcats are going to be one of the youngest and most athletic teams in the league. They already have a player that is rail thin, plays great defense, and can't score: Biyombo. Why would they draft a clone of him with an injury history? I think it's easy to shit on the Bobcats, and I do it from time to time, but this was the right pick.

ToxicAdam

Frothing at the mouth to watch an Anthony Bennett/Tristan Thompson frontcourt with fucking Waiters and Irving on the wings.

Could be worse than the Lakers defensively.

But Mike Brown will wave his magical pixie dust on this team and they will be better defensively.

I mean, there are reports that the Wiz, Magic, and Cavs medical staffs cleared his knee and he got clear marks from Dr. Andrews:

I just think there were multiple flags on Noel that scared teams away. Youth, injury history, lack of size, mental makeup, etc.

Even though he wasn't the first pick, he's still going to be the headliner coming out of this draft.

Morrison was not the athlete Zeller is. He also couldn't rebound or play any semblance of defense. That is an apple to oranges comparison. They don't even play the same position. A PF that is a seven footer that can also shoot is a commodity in the NBA.

We don't know what Zeller brings to the floor in terms of shooting. Draining them in an empty gym is completely useless. I think he'll be able to knock down some elbow jumpers but lets cool it on the Aldridge and Bosh comparisons.

thefro

It's pretty crazy that people think that Zeller won't get better in the NBA with how athletic he is, his high BB IQ, etc.

Really the only thing you can say negatively about Zeller in the NBA is his wingspan is the same as his height and not 7-6 or something ridiclous.

Bowser

Also, it kills me how everyone lamented how shitty this draft was, and then when the Bobcats selected one of the few guys who is considered safe in terms of being able to contribute, people shit on them. Let's be honest, does Noel have a higher ceiling than Zeller? Yes. Does Noel have higher bust potential? Absolutely.

And don't get me started on McLemore, dude is a disappearing act. Reggie Bullock locked his ass down in our 2nd round matchup, he had 2 fucking points. He's gonna get eaten alive in the league - the next Xavier Henry.

We don't know what Zeller brings to the floor in terms of shooting. Draining them in an empty gym is completely useless. I think he'll be able to knock down some elbow jumpers but lets cool it on the Aldridge and Bosh comparisons.

Zeller has shown that he can put on weight, he has great hands, he's a great passer, and he was the most athletic big man in workouts. He also didn't miss a game in two years and matched up well against Anthony Davis. He has less of a chance of busting than Bennett by a long shot.

Apparently the Bobcats are going to use Zeller as a PF and they think he can be a Gasol-like player because of his passing and ability to spread the floor.

Zeller has shown that he can put on weight, he has great hands, he's a great passer, and he was the most athletic big man in workouts. He also didn't miss a game in two years and matched up well against Anthony Davis. He has less of a chance of busting than Bennett by a long shot.

This we agree with.

I'm intrigued by Zellers offensive potential for sure. Hyper efficient. I just worry that if he's not great on offense that he just won't be all that good in general because he's average on the glass and defensively.

I do think the Cats are getting a good player though and that his presence will do wonders for MKG and Kemba.

Bowser

This we agree with.

I'm intrigued by Zellers offensive potential for sure. Hyper efficient. I just worry that if he's not great on offense that he just won't be all that good in general because he's average on the glass and defensively.

I do think the Cats are getting a good player though and that his presence will do wonders for MKG and Kemba.

Seriously, I want people to think of this lineup:

Kemba/Henderson/MKG/Biz/Noel

Would that lineup even score 85ppg? It would seriously be a chore to watch. The only upside of that team is that we would unquestionably be the worst team in the league and the frontrunner in the Wiggins sweepstakes. With Zeller I think we can at least be competitive on a nightly basis without doing too much damage to our top 3 pick "hopes".

Not that lottery position matters all that much anyway, seems like either 7th or 8th worst team drops into the top 3 on the regular and that being the worst team in the league guarantees you to miss out on #1.

With yesterday's shakeup around the league the probability that we got both the Pistons and the Blazers pick next year went up. There is a decent chance we will have 3 lottery picks in next year's draft. 2 late lottery picks because I think the Pistons and Blazers will be in contention for the 8 seeds, so it will be close.

Bowser

With yesterday's shakeup around the league the probability that we got both the Pistons and the Blazers pick next year went up. There is a decent chance we will have 3 lottery picks in next year's draft. 2 late lottery picks because I think the Pistons and Blazers will be in contention for the 8 seeds, so it will be close.

Yep, we could be looking at three lottery picks in a loaded draft. Even if two are late lottery, they'll still be much more valuable than any picks in this year's draft. If Zeller is even half as effective as the Aldrige/Bosh/Horford comps and Kemba, MKG and Biz continue to develop, the future will be very bright in Charlotte.

I keep thinking about the Nets. Worse case scenario, they are the 2013 Lakers, best case scenario I still see Lebron guarding all five of the Nets and the Heat prevailing.

As long as the Nets realize that regular season wins are useless aside from building chemistry and are healthy in the playoffs I think they can give any team in the league a run for their money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5uqhzEm03-c#at=71

God Simmons was so fucking good last night.

He pretty much carried the broadcast by himself and Stern was awesome too.

First draft I would rewatch if I could.

Doc did quit on the team. It's pretty obvious that Ainge let him know that he was going to blow up the team and Doc wanted no part of that. Smart? Yes, but selfish nonetheless. Now he's going to be stuck with a salty Chris Paul that wanted Pierce and KG on the Clippers.

KingKong

Simmons looked like he was going to throw up when he heard that the trade was happening. Can't wait for the podcast and article

As long as the Nets realize that regular season wins are useless aside from building chemistry and are healthy in the playoffs I think they can give any team in the league a run for their money.

But in order to do that, don't you kind of have to have a deep bench for the regular season to rest the stars?

Wow didn't realize how upset Simmons was about this.

I shouldn't be shocked though.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 17m When I get home I'm signing up my 5 and a half year old son for Twitter so he can defend me against Doc Rivers' kids.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 12m Good summary on how Doc contradicted himself all week: http://bit.ly/16EvmhC (Does not include his PTI waffling.) He needs to pick a story.

LMAO

Doc did quit on the team. It's pretty obvious that Ainge let him know that he was going to blow up the team and Doc wanted no part of that. Smart? Yes, but selfish nonetheless. Now he's going to be stuck with a salty Chris Paul that wanted Pierce and KG on the Clippers.

That's a good point. Paul got his black coach that he reportedly barked for, but might he still leave since they failed to get Pierce and KG?

But in order to do that, don't you kind of have to have a deep bench for the regular season to rest the stars?

All they have to do is make the playoffs, and Brooks, Blatche and Terry are streak players who are either going to blow another teams bench out of the water or get destroyed. If its the latter they'll just take the L's. They won't catch enough of them to miss the playoffs in the East.

All they have to do is make the playoffs, and Brooks, Blatche and Terry are streak players who are either going to blow another teams bench out of the water or get destroyed. If its the latter they'll just take the L's. They won't catch enough of them to miss the playoffs in the East.

Blatche might be gone via free agency and I haven't been impressed with Terry since he was a Mav.

Yep, we could be looking at three lottery picks in a loaded draft. Even if two are late lottery, they'll still be much more valuable than any picks in this year's draft. If Zeller is even half as effective as the Aldrige/Bosh/Horford comps and Kemba, MKG and Biz continue to develop, the future will be very bright in Charlotte.

We need a superstar wing player or a dominant center to truly contend. There aren't any dominant Centers in next year's draft so we better pray one of Wiggins, Hezonja, Parker, Young, or Exum (if he plays college this year) fits that description and we are in a position to draft them.

I still can't believe Bennett went #1.

I mean, WoJ and other guys were reporting that no one else in the top 8 wanted him, what the fuck.

I'm happy it happened. These analysts have a hard-on for predicting the picks, which ruins any excitement in these drafts. It's nice to see them take it up the ass like this.

Maybe Anthony Bennett can become David Lee except without ever passing the ball, but he seems like he's just going to be like Beasley or Bargnani. The Cavs have offensive weapons at this point and are just abysmal defensively so this seems like a terrible fit to go along with being a terrible value.

K.C. Johnson ‏@KCJHoop 5m
Intriguing option for Bulls in free agency: Hearing Toronto will decline team option on John Lucas III. Thibodeau has been longtime advocate

Fucking hell, bring back Nate before this guy. At least Nate didn't get his head crushed by Lebron's shoe when he dunked over Lucas.

Bennett is Millsap without any semblance of a motor meaning his bust potential is insane.

And he has asthma and has never not been injured going back to his junior year in highschool. Played on a fucking terribad conference, I don't even think he played against one NBA player his entire career there.

The bust potential is just...insane is a good word for it but it may actually be an understatement.

realneocavsfans.net is fun

A dose of kyrie/dion/kara/ab/tt for 15 mins a game could be a huge advantage making teams to try and match up with us.

That is like the dwight howard magic lineup except that everyone on the perimeter is extremely talented.

Great pick. Bennett is David West with a 3 pt shot. That sounds like a worthy #1 pick to me. Watching Bennett's tape, he will easily be a 15 and 10 guy...probably a 20 and 10 guy within 1 or 2 years. with the amount of ways this guy can score, there's no way he averages less than 15 ppg. (mid range shots, 3's, interior)...the guy can do it all. outside of McLemore, Bennett was probably the most "all-star caliber" of anyone in this draft.

Funny how everyone keeps thinking Bennett is slow. His scouting report mentions "quick feet" and "lateral quickness" repeatedly. Defense is a deficiency for him, but it seemed to be more about effort. His defensive highlights, however pieced together they may be, were impressive. Once he gets his body in NBA shape he may surprise some people.

I am still mindfucked by the Bennet pick.

I think either the Cavs thought they could trade back (the Kings?) and still get their guy but that got fucked when Len and Noel got picked or they just out-thought themselves.

they could have traded down if they wanted him that bad.

plus where the fuck does he fit?

are they gonna play him at the 3? Plus this kid now has the pressure of being the number 1 pick..shitty draft or not that's a lot of pressure to not blow.

just wow.

started off an epic night though.

this draft will go down in history...for various reasons

Top Bottom