• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

I'm still shocked by how forward thinking the Sixers were.

Teams almost never have the balls to tear down the treadmill like they did.

Those fans are so passionate man. They deserve Wiggins and Noel. Would be so good for the NBA.

shira

Bennett will probably average 15 and 8 on a TS% of .48 and an O/D RTG combo of 99 and 109 doe
How can you make those predictions. They just going to dump Kyrie's scoring and everyone else's minutes to make Bennett starter minutes/touches. And he's going to outscore Anthony Davis' rookie season?

I'm curious to see who will actually sign Andrew Bynum and for how much. I'm sure NBA GAF will be full of lols.

One of the Spurs beat writers thinks that based off the draft, the Spurs might try to go all in in free agency this off season. If they let Splitter and Neal walk, and Manu comes back at a discount, they could have enough salary to almsot offer the max to someone.

That said, I wouldn't want our cap future tied to whether or not Bynum has useable knees, but just something to keep in mind for free agency this year.

EDIT: Just to be clear, a healthy Bynum would be a upgrade over Splitter, but I don't think Bynum would ever be healthy. If some team tries to sign Splitter for something stupid like 10 million per year, I'd rather just have the cap space even if that means we don't go back to the WCF next year.

How can you make those predictions. They just going to dump Kyrie's scoring and everyone else's minutes to make Bennett starter minutes/touches. And he's going to outscore Anthony Davis' rookie season?

Thompson scored 12 PPG on shit percentages. It's not hard to see Bennett take shots from him.

And Bennett is beyond worthless if he's not scoring. If he's not at least a 15 PPG scorer then I don't even know why he'd be a starter.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I'm still shocked by how forward thinking the Sixers were.

Teams almost never have the balls to tear down the treadmill like they did.

Those fans are so passionate man. They deserve Wiggins and Noel. Would be so good for the NBA.
It wasn't that mindblowing

Holiday isn't exactly a franchise player and good pgs are quite common these days

Edwardo

Celtics are still a playoff team after the trade. It's sad to see Pierce go. I started watching basketball when he was drafted when I was 10 years old.

I am glad to see Terry go though. He never saw a shot he didn't like.

KingGondo

Banned
Celtics are still a playoff team after the trade. It's sad to see Pierce go. I started watching basketball when he was drafted when I was 10 years old.

I was about to :lol at this post, then I remembered we're still talking about the Leastern Conference.

I still doubt they'll make it, but crazier shit has happened.

If they want to ensure a true tank they should trade Rondo to Indy.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
It's just mindblowing for a team to acknowledge that they need to tank.

Look how long the Bucks, Suns, and Hawks have held on to mediocrity.

Rebuilds happen all the time

And they don't always work

Being a playoff team is good for a franchise

Cornbread78

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that this is what I'll be seeign out on the floor for Boston this winter:

PG: Rondo (if he is not traded)
SG: Bradley (suspect after being exposed by the Knicks)
SF: Green (Dr, Jeckl/Mr. Hyde)
PF: Sullinger (hopefully healthy, but again, this is Sullinger)
C: Olynyk (oh, dat hair....)

also, just saw this:

UPDATE: Boston will receive guard MarShon Brooks and forward Kris Joseph instead of Evans and forward Tornike Shengelia.

Doomsayer

It's just mindblowing for a team to acknowledge that they need to tank.

Look how long the Bucks, Suns, and Hawks have held on to mediocrity.

New front office for Philly, they seen the team bask in mediocrity the past few years and knew they needed a change. Good to see some a team actually do it though.

If they can get a top 3 pick next year, this will look genius. If not, well... I'm sorry Knux.

so when is Jason Terry gonna get his new tattoo?

jason-terry-celtics-tattoo1.jpeg

Lol, they're in Bobcats tier now. Might be slightly worse than us actually.

poor Rondo. Czs locker room is a ghostown now. Tho I guess hes the alpha now.

On the other hand, the Nets need to get to the CF and take MIA to 6 or 7 games or this season's a failure for them. I worry about Joe Johnson's ballstopping ways and Kidd's coaching tho. Health too for the whole team. You just know someone on that roster will be injured at some point, but who/when.

Bowser

I think the Nets trade also compounds the mistake of hiring Jason Kidd as their head coach. You have to wonder if he's going to be overwhelmed by the (irrational and unrealistic) title contending expectations the Nets have now

PBY

Banned
Looooool @ celtics being a playoff team. Their best player can't score.

Their second best player is _______?

Tom Penny

No they aren't and I don't want them to be. Mucho minutes with Jordan Crawford and Marshon Brooks on the floor please.

Looooool @ celtics being a playoff team. Their best player can't score.

Their second best player is _______?

The one that scored 43 on the Heat.

shira

Man, lot of hate on Zeller. I'll trust Cho and his analytics (as well as Kevin Pelton):

Zeller told us at the NBA draft combine we'd be surprised by his shooting and he backed up that claim Thursday. I tracked his NBA 3-point shots and he shot 72 percent for the workout. That's terrific, especially for a 7-footer. His midrange jumper was even better. Zeller showed the ability to shoot off the bounce and with his feet set. He was especially effective in the corners, where he shot 80 percent from the field for the day.

Combine that small sample with other known qualities of Zeller -- he's the fastest big man in the draft (both laterally and in sprints), has the highest standing vertical (35.5 inches) of any player 6-foot-9 or taller in our database, great hands and a high basketball IQ -- and the question is: Did Zeller go from being overrated to underrated?
All pointless numbers. Let's see him play against NBA defences

Doomsayer

Zeller isn't going to be a terrible pro, but he isn't going to be outstanding either.

On the plus side he isn't even 21 yet, the kid has a lot of room to grow.

How is the spacing going to work with he and Biyombo on the floor together though?

Edwardo

It might be a struggle, but yeah it's the east. Not really that hard to make the 8 seed. I see them turning into what the Hawks have been. A low playoff seed that fizzles out in the first round of the playoffs. I've never been a huge Jeff Green guy, but he can ball if he isn't playing passive.

Tom Penny

It might be a struggle, but yeah it's the east. Not really that hard to make the 8 seed. I see them turning into what the Hawks have been. A low playoff seed that fizzles out in the first round of the playoffs. I've never been a huge Jeff Green guy, but he can ball if he isn't playing passive.

I don't think they will make the playoffs...but you want them to make the playoffs? That would be stupid and unproductive to a rebuild.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
So when does everyone think the Bulls will get the Bobcats future 1st? Here are the possibilities:

2014 - Top 10 Protected
2015 - Top 8 Protected
2016 - Unprotected

So everyone in the East worth a damn improved either via trade or getting healthy (Bulls get Rose back, Indy gets Granger back, Nets made a great trade)...and the Knicks kinda just stay pat. After sleeping on the Knicks pick, it's pretty good - and maybe he puts his tools together and becomes a great player - but as it stands, it's basically a hedge against losing JR Smith or Shumpert. Getting CJ Leslie for free is pretty cool though; I hope we can try Jackie Carmichael out too.

...I do hate feeling like the Knicks are stuck in limbo, though. No hope to improve unless we get lucky sifting through the bargain veteran/international signing bin, get lucky with these rookies, get lucky and have Shumpert break out dramatically, or get lucky and see Amare play even at 80% of what he was circa 2010. I hate that we killed the Celtics and trumped the Nets, only to see them fuse into a roster of pure hatred that might be more annoying than either one was last year.

Spooks

So after sleeping on it I'm not too mad about the Bennett pick. What I am mad about and still mad about. Is that Tristan Thompson pick. It looks really bad now. Oh well. Life of cavs fan I suppose.

Edwardo

I don't think they will make the playoffs...but you want them to make the playoffs? That would be stupid and unproductive to a rebuild.

Yes and no. I'm torn. They've always been my team so I want them to get as far as they can. But I know the truth is that they need to rebuild, and being stuck a 7th or 8th seed will get them absolutely nowhere.

Nets have a "win now" attitude, and the Celtics are trying to rebuild.

Oh, that doesn't escape me. Again, as not a regular to the NBA, the 3 players they're getting seemed the over the hill type and they traded a ton to get them I felt, was just wondering what others with more knowledge thought :)

Bowser

People thinking that Jrue Holiday is a great get for NO:

tomhaberstroh Tom Haberstroh
Player A: 15.8 points on 46.9 TS% and 6.7/3.3 ast/TOV. | Player B: 17.7 points on 51.7 TS% shooting and 5.7/2.4 ast/TOV. Take your guesses.

Any more guesses? No one's gotten it yet...

Player A is Jrue Holiday post All-Star break. Player B is Kemba Walker.

Jrue Holiday was an All-Star for 41 games, but history will remember him as one for all 82.

So when does everyone think the Bulls will get the Bobcats future 1st? Here are the possibilities:

2014 - Top 10 Protected
2015 - Top 8 Protected
2016 - Unprotected

2015 IMO

fertygo

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that this is what I'll be seeign out on the floor for Boston this winter:

PG: Rondo (if he is not traded)
SG: Bradley (suspect after being exposed by the Knicks)
SF: Green (Dr, Jeckl/Mr. Hyde)
PF: Sullinger (hopefully healthy, but again, this is Sullinger)
C: Olynyk (oh, dat hair....)

also, just saw this:

UPDATE: Boston will receive guard MarShon Brooks and forward Kris Joseph instead of Evans and forward Tornike Shengelia.

14-68 team baby.

Bread

Banned
What bill was responding to.
http://i.imgur.com/jpniHKH.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
lol at him acting like Doc is the reason the Celtics turned it around, smh.

Doc was getting chased out of town by all of Boston before that trade. And even after that trade, no one liked him until the Detroit series.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Knowing that a few half decent teams actually have their pick next year I see a lot of teams tanking in the east.....hard. Even then Celtics are going to lead the pack. No way they go to the playoffs this year.

Tom Penny

Yes and no. I'm torn. They've always been my team so I want them to get as far as they can. But I know the truth is that they need to rebuild, and being stuck a 7th or 8th seed will get them absolutely nowhere.

Yep. Have to accept it. This was supposed to happen 3 years ago but they kept trying to ride it out...it was time.

...I do hate feeling like the Knicks are stuck in limbo, though. No hope to improve unless we get lucky sifting through the bargain veteran/international signing bin, get lucky with these rookies, get lucky and have Shumpert break out dramatically, or get lucky and see Amare play even at 80% of what he was circa 2010. I hate that we killed the Celtics and trumped the Nets, only to see them fuse into a roster of pure hatred that might be more annoying than either one was last year.

I'd be shocked if the Knicks don't have in house issues next year.

They are going to get bodied by their rivals and the expectations are going to be so much more than they should be.

Top Bottom