• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

HOLY SHIT. Things are getting real now

Ben Rohrbach ‏@brohrbach 22m
Doc on @WEEI about @BillSimmons: "He did everything he could to get me fired. Wrote letters, wanted to sit down w/ owners to talk about it."
Retweeted by Bill Simmons

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 1m
The quote I just retweeted is an outright, 100 percent lie. I'd be careful, Glenn. Seriously. Stop talking. You are making sh*t up.

bill wanted doc fired because he was doing an awful job until kevin mchale saved his ass by trading him garnett

this is the same guy that ruined tmac for life afterall

AkuMifune

Banned
Bill might be right, but he's probably just salty. Either way you don't get into a fight with doc the same way you don't start a land war in Asia.

He's just got too much media cred.

Simmons IS salty, but I can't blame him. This is like when the Heat formed their super team. The people involved knew what was going on ahead of time and that's fine. The shitty thing is when they act like it just happened that way

they're not going to fire simmons because he's made espn telecasts far far more interesting than what they were before

might gag him for a little while though

Sharp

They would only fire him if someone threatened to shut off ESPN's access otherwise. I don't think it's terribly likely. But it would be funny.

SamuraiX-

He's basically been right though. Doc bailed with 3 years left and thinks he can spin that somehow he is the good guy in all this.

How is Doc bailing exactly? He's not trying to spin anything. Ainge finally is initiating the tank and he doesn't want Doc to spend the last years of his coaching career stuck on a bottomfeeder team.

I actually really respect Ainge for sending him to a potential contender where he can actually still do some good.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
The worst they will do to Simmons is kick him off twitter for a week or two.

He is letting his fandom creep in a bit, but that doesnt make him wrong on his actual point.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
How is Doc bailing exactly? He's not trying to spin anything. Ainge finally is initiating the tank and he doesn't want Doc to spend the last years of his coaching career stuck on a bottomfeeder team.

I actually really respect Ainge for sending him to a potential contender where he can actually still do some good.

Doc wanted out when he heard that the Celtics were going into tank-mode. Ainge is appeasing Doc in all of this, not the other way around.

AkuMifune

Banned
Is he gonna call pierce a quitter too?

I know it feels like they are abandoning ship, but isn't this just Ainge unloading expiring talent before its worthless in an attempt to build a new, young dynasty?

Though if Doc really cared he would stay to help the process.

Sharp

The worst they will do to Simmons is kick him off twitter for a week or two.

He is letting his fandom creep in a bit, but that doesnt make him wrong on his actual point.
Sure, but there are degrees of professionalism. Even sports journalists probably shouldn't point blank tell a professional coach who they cover that they're making shit up, whether or not it's true. Or threaten him, for that matter. Can anyone imagine a beat writer doing that? Like I said, I think it's unlikely that he'll be fired, but if he did want to be fired this would be a good start.

Doc wanted out when he heard that the Celtics were going into tank-mode. Ainge is appeasing Doc in all of this, not the other way around.
Exactly. He signs a five year deal and then gets cold feet even though he knew the C's would be rebuilding within those five years. He could have contributed to starting up the rebuild but he's got to go play front runner instead.

Doc had no interest in a rebuild.

What is Bill mad about? Did Doc claim he wanted to stay but Since sold his contract off or what? Just asking since I don't have much info on the situation.

Tom Penny

He's basically been right though. Doc bailed with 3 years left and thinks he can spin that somehow he is the good guy in all this.

Not really. All the trades and events that happened both of them were in the loop.If the Clippers deal fell through he'd be back because 7 million dollars says so. Both parties got what they wanted. Celtics didn't want have the highest paid coach in tank mode and they got a number 1 pick...Doc got to coach a good team. Win win. People looking at they years. Someone offers you to be the highest paid coach in the league the years is just a number. You take it.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
lol wtf is Simmons going to do? What does Doc have to be "careful" about?

Dont act like a joker your whole career and then go throwing threats around, Simmons

jjasper

Grizzlies would have been good. I guess. But why when he's hitting all time finals shots here..
I wish he would get sent here so he could cry about it again.

Edit: Simmons is right about Doc quitting but he is acting like an idiot over this. Get over it, shit happens. This is basically what would happen if some random idiot fan was given a chance to talk about rivers on ESPN.

Sure, but there are degrees of professionalism. Even sports journalists probably shouldn't point blank tell a professional coach who they cover that they're making shit up, whether or not it's true. Or threaten him, for that matter. Can anyone imagine a beat writer doing that? Like I said, I think it's unlikely that he'll be fired, but if he did want to be fired this would be a good start.

Journalist SHOULD point out bold face lies, especially if its about them personally.

Sharp

Journalist SHOULD point out bold face lies, especially if its about them personally.
Using different language, and probably checking with legal to make sure you're not about to get embroiled in some sort of libel suit. Simmons's behavior wouldn't really be tolerated in any other context.

giri

i dunno, telling someone to stop telling lies about you seems like a fairly normal thing to do, particularly with a warning involved.

Those guys trade on their rep, Bill could in theory sue. Could be argued he's doing Doc a favor by warning him well beforehand that he knows whats going on.

As long as both shutup now its all fine.

But that obviously won't happen.

I think it good that someone points out the bullshit. Simmons has never positioned himself as a beat writer or insider so he doesn't have to cultivate relationships with players and coaches. Doc thinks he can smile and wave and everyone will just pat him on the back and say good luck even though if you scratch the surface this is pretty sleazy.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
lol wtf is Simmons going to do? What does Doc have to be "careful" about?

Dont act like a joker your whole career and then go throwing threats around, Simmons

Libel for one thing..... I mean that is pretty drastic to say Simmons met with owners to get you fired. Shit doesn't even seem viable but whatever.

Doc had no interest in a rebuild.

What is Bill mad about? Did Doc claim he wanted to stay but Since sold his contract off or what? Just asking since I don't have much info on the situation.

Doc claimed he knew nothing about the Clippers talk while he was actively discussing a new contract with the Clippers. Later he claimed he was talking.

All Bill said was that Doc was quitting on the Celtics and to stop pretending he wasn't trying to get on the Clippers when Doc was saying he knew nothing about joining the Clips.

Also, it's important to remember that despite being a huge Boston homer, Bill Simmons has never ever ever liked Doc and has repeatedly bashed him as Celtics coach. Even after the title, he continued to argue his criticism of Doc in years past was valid.

This is about more than Doc leaving. he's never liked Doc.

Using different language, and probably checking with legal to make sure you're not about to get embroiled in some sort of libel suit. Simmons's behavior wouldn't really be tolerated in any other context.

Getting sued for lying about someone lying about you. That'd be rich.

The context is whatever, he's more an entertainer or bball commentator than a journalist anyway. Doc would look foolish going after him legally especially if he doesn't have his facts straight.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker

Just because they throw him on tv, doesnt make him the usual espn talent. For from it.

Right or wrong aside, he's built himself up enough and has the connections to do fine on his own. Im guessing thats why he lets loose like this once in a while. The things you can do when you have leverage!

Bread

Banned
bill wanted doc fired because he was doing an awful job until kevin mchale saved his ass by trading him garnett

this is the same guy that ruined tmac for life afterall
everyone likes to forget this fact, doc was on the hot seat until they beat the pistons in detroit. everyone in boston thought he was holding them back.

simmons is absolutely right here, and i have a lot of respect for him for doing this. dude is not taking doc's shit, as he shouldn't.

Sharp

Getting d for lying about someone lying about you. That'd be rich.

The context is whatever, he's more an entertainer or bball commentator than a journalist anyway. Doc would look foolish going after him legally especially if he doesn't have his facts straight.
Sure, it makes sense in the context of Simmons as part-time analyst and full-time RealGM troll. The problem is that unlike regular RealGM trolls, he represents a company that does rely pretty heavily on insider access, who probably aren't too happy that he's continued this discussion this long. I feel like I'm repeating myself here, but again--I don't think anything is going to come of this. I just think Simmons is being an idiot.

SamuraiX-

aUWoSrK.png

He's gonna get a max-type contract by some team, I feel. He's been steadily improving nicely every year he's been in the league.

Regarding Kabongo
Jared Zwerling @JaredZwerling about 1 hour ago
Guys, you can play for two different teams in NBA summer league as there are two locations: Vegas and Orlando. Re: Kabongo.
i.e. Heat have not signed him to a NBA contract, which I thought they did. He's just with their summer league.

Top Bottom