• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

If Doc was being two faced and is trying to be cute about it now, I got no problem with Bill telling him to be real about it.

For the record, I dislike both of those dudes.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I don't know, when an NBA coach gets asked a question about a journalists/"reporters" inquiries (which, c'mon now, nothing Simmons said is out of the norm for a columnist or a reporter), and the first thing he retorts with is "I'd call him an idiot, but I'm classier than that"? Sorry, but that makes Doc look like an ass. Say what you will about Simmons' demeanor and style of opinionizing (and I've said plenty against Bill), but Doc was in the wrong on this one.

aUWoSrK.png

He's gonna get a max-type contract by some team, I feel.

Lol, how much cap space do you guys have?

Also, Seth Curry said he's going to sign with us and attend our fall camp. Woot!

SamuraiX-

koTMHXq.png

Jazz rebuilding process is going pretty nicely.

Burke / Burks / Hayward / Favors

All nice, young talent. Could be a very effective core in the next few years.

Lol, how much cap space do you guys have?

I'd do a Reke-Hendo swap in a damn heartbeat. lol

After signing McLemore to a rookie contract, I think we'll be barely above the minimum salary threshold. And I'm betting AGAIN we won't do shit in free agency.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
#teamsimmons

If what Bill was saying was wrong doc would of been in the right to call him an idiot. But Doc did flip flop on his timeline/reason for leaving. Doc should of let it go because he had better then to do like getting ready to coach the clipper for a racist ass boss....But hey keep trying to out talk the guy who literally talks for a living.

I don't know, when an NBA coach gets asked a question about a journalists/"reporters" inquiries (which, c'mon now, nothing Simmons said is out of the norm for a columnist or a reporter), and the first thing he retorts with is "I'd call him an idiot, but I'm classier than that"? Sorry, but that makes Doc look like an ass. Say what you will about Simmons' demeanor and style of opinionizing (and I've said plenty against Bill), but Doc was in the wrong on this one.

Yea. I've seen players and coaches speak about local media as a whole being dumb or overly critical or the like but Doc called Simmons an idiot on ESPN for saying Doc was not being upfront...Doc is looking pretty bad.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Right, and the thing we are going in at Bill Simmons on is because he claimed that he thought that Doc was being insincere about his position that he wanted to keep coaching the Celtics, even if they were rebuilding? Yeah, sorry, but that's basically factual at this point.

koTMHXq.png

Jazz rebuilding process is going pretty nicely.

Burke / Burks / Hayward / FavorsI'd do a Reke-Hendo swap in a damn heartbeat. lol

If Tyreke wasn't such a poor fit for our roster I'd consider it. Pretty sure we're going to resign Hendo to around 7 million/year. If anyone wants to offer more we won't match.

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 3m
While convo with Jazz expected, source told Y! free agent PG @mowilliams wouldn't return if he's not the starter. Utah drafted PG Trey Burke

Where will Mo find a starting PG spot? Well, maybe Boston until Rondo comes back...

edit: Dallas has an opening and lots of cap space, lol.

Gigglepoo

Rivers called Simmons an idiot on television last night and questioned if he's even qualified to cover the NBA on radio today. I can't believe most of the media can't see through his bullshit. He's buddy buddy with reporters so he gets a free pass and now doesn't know how to react when someone finally calls him out on his lies.

Tom Penny

Doc clearly didn't want to coach a rebuild and wants to stack wins so his coaching legacy doesn't get a black eye. Ownership more or less said it in an interview. At the same time I do believe Ainge and Doc both wanted this and Ainge being shocked by this was also a crock of shit.

Bread

Banned
http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060112

here is the article from 2006 I was referencing.

FWIW, I like Simmons. He's a Boston homer but he makes no attempt to pretend he isn't. He says what he believes, even if he's wrong. I'm fine with that and at least he tries to be entertaining.

I thought he was great at the draft last night. Come on, the Steisma scale was the best non-Stern, non-hair related part.
Funny how a lot of the stuff he says about Doc all became more obvious as the Big 3 era dwindled to nothing. Doc is a players coach who can't do many things well on the basketball court, and I'm glad we can find a fresh face to take over for a new era.

Haters gonna hate.

For the record, I find Simmons to be an unprofessional troll.

However, I'm also very indifferent to the Doc Rivers signing. 7 million per for someone who never won before KG came to Boston...

Sure, he'll be infinitely better than Dunce Negro but roster upgrades would have been much better than trading a future first for the "privilege" of paying Doc 7 million per for the next 3 years.

Ugh.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
What bothers me at a fundamental level is seeing media types having no problem eviscerating other peoples judgment, professionalism, devotion and confidence but absolutely flip their shit when the roles are reversed and theyre on the receiving end for once.

PBY

Banned
What bothers me at a fundamental level is seeing media types having no problem eviscerating other peoples judgment, professionalism, devotion and confidence but absolutely flip their shit when the roles are reversed and theyre on the receiving end for once.
This

giri

You know who's talented? Perry Jones III. And he's a small forward too!

Yeah. No thanks.

We'll take all the picks we can get for next year, thanks.

Gortat would be a missing piece on quite a few teams. Clips, OKC, Pelicans could probably use him also. Knicks. Portland. etc.

And i'd say ship his ass out for as many picks in the 14/15 drafts as you can.

Bill Simmons would have to commit a felony to get fired from ESPN

He's by far their most powerful and important employee I think

Bill Simmons would have to commit a felony to get fired from ESPN

He's by far their most powerful and important employee I think

He is the brainchild for 30for30, no?

Bill bitches about lack of tv time with Shootaround. If he is gonna be this bold he has to know Disney will nip his ass. Quickly.

He is the brainchild for 30for30, no?

Bill bitches about lack of tv time with Shootaround. If he is gonna be this bold he has to know Disney will nip his ass. Quickly.

Is he? I'm not sure

All I know is that he is the most popular guy. I mean, ESPN even links to shit from Grantland (unless that's under the same umbrella)

he would get paid a loooooooooot as a free agent journalist or whatever he does now

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Why the fuck should they fire him, though? He's not a journalist, he's a columnist/analyst. He's paid to have an opinion, not report facts. People want him fired because he talked shit about a coach? Damn, it's easy to get fired these days, lol.

Doc called him an idiot for basically calling out his lies. Not really the time to pull the don't start no shit won't be no shit card. He was being phony and Simmons pointed it out and Doc is the one being unprofessional about it.

Is he? I'm not sure

All I know is that he is the most popular guy. I mean, ESPN even links to shit from Grantland (unless that's under the same umbrella)

he would get paid a loooooooooot as a free agent journalist or whatever he does now

Yeah, 30 for 30 was Simmons. He's the only popular podcast they have and by far their most read columnist (prior to Grantland). I'd love to see Grantland figures, too. I have my problems with him, and I assume most people do too, but he's fun to have around and Grantland is great.

Guy isn't going anywhere. He says absurd shit and gets in feuds all the time and the most they're willing to do is put him on Twitter timeout. He just got out of a feud and was immediately put on their NBA coverage team.

Also, where was I when Doc built up this massive loyal contingent that speaks out about a dude telling the truth and wants him fired for it? What the fuck?

Pimpwerx

Doc called him an idiot for basically calling out his lies. Not really the time to pull the don't start no shit won't be no shit card. He was being phony and Simmons pointed it out and Doc is the one being unprofessional about it.

Bill bringing it up initially was unnecessary. He was the one all butthurt last night about the Cs and decided to take a shot at Doc for quitting. Fine, Doc retaliated and called him an idiot. Bill can't accept that his own fanboyism is the reason any of this started. Doc didn't seem to care about Bill before last night. I didn't here Bill's name coming out of his mouth. Bill is the salty one and the one in the wrong.

One of the main reasons I can't stand Simmons is because he's a shitty, fanboy hack from Boston. Boston this. Boston that. Blow it out your ass, Bill, it's a national broadcast. He can't go five minutes without referencing some stupid piece of Boston sports lore. Dude can eat all the dicks. PEACE.

Bill bringing it up initially was unnecessary. He was the one all butthurt last night about the Cs and decided to take a shot at Doc for quitting. Fine, Doc retaliated and called him an idiot. Bill can't accept that his own fanboyism is the reason any of this started. Doc didn't seem to care about Bill before last night. I didn't here Bill's name coming out of his mouth. Bill is the salty one and the one in the wrong.

One of the main reasons I can't stand Simmons is because he's a shitty, fanboy hack from Boston. Boston this. Boston that. Blow it out your ass, Bill, it's a national broadcast. He can't go five minutes without referencing some stupid piece of Boston sports lore. Dude can eat all the dicks. PEACE.

Unnecessary according to who? I think its perfectly fine, it's ball news and its his job to have an opinion about it. I don't like the guy much either but he isn't the one looking unprofessional imo. It doesn't help Doc that the facts don't back him up.

He's been talking about Doc bailing on the Celtics for weeks. It's one of the biggest stories of the offseason.

And yeah he mentioned Boston. After they made a massive trade. Were they not supposed to cover that? And for fuck's sake, he's 100% right. Doc bailed on that team. I got no problem with guys bailing, but don't spit in my face and tell me it's raining.

Pimpwerx

Unnecessary according to who? I think its perfectly fine, it's ball news and its his job to have an opinion about it. I don't like the guy much either but he isn't the one looking unprofessional imo. It doesn't help Doc that the facts don't back him up.

He switched jobs and did so within the rules of his contract. Bill called him a quitter, which we all know is a cheapshot. He didn't say it to his face, he said it from a studio chair. He took a cheapshot at Doc on a night that was about young stars and not Bill's personal agenda with his hometown team. Bill was unprofessional. He was "being himself" which is fine, but it's not professional for the forum he was in.

If I signed a big contract a few years ago, and then my company asks me to shovel shit for a few years, am I going to pass up the opportunity to take a better job elsewhere? I'm not surprised by Boston fans being irrational. They still curse Ray's name, eventhough he just saw the writing on the wall. They'll be butthurt over just about anything. It doesn't justify it though. Doc didn't quit, Ainge did. That team is going to tank so hard, and there's no reason a professional should have to eat that turd sandwich for a franchise whose loyalty extends only as far as your job performance. PEACE.

Top Bottom