• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

It's not Josh, it's the Pistons. You can't put a guy the defense can sag off of next to Drummond and the Pistons already have a good frontcourt while being a good bit of time away from contending so signing Smith makes no sense.
Josh is going to finally be free, you'd think he'd limit his choices to contending teams instead of jumping for the cash.

Wat

I'm talking about a first option to lead a team to a chip, not championship material.

Dwight hasn't proven he is that yet.

Scottie Pippen was championship material but not a first option to win a chip.

See: 1994 Eastern Conference Playoffs

"Championship material" meant able to be first option on a championship team, I don't know what the confusion is.

semi-OT:

Potential 1st pick in the NHL Seth Jones is mad lucky he didn't inherit his father's looks.

my god.

watching ESPN and his dad pops up on this screen...in HD.

EajOuZg.jpg

kasane

Nah. The Lakers don't have what it takes to achieve a proper tank job in order to win dat Wiggins lottery.

My conspiracy is Phil is trying to tank hard. Glass knees Bynum, traded for Noel which also has bad knees ( ? ). Anyways I'm betting on Phoenix and Charlotte. LOL

kasane

Why is everyone so hyped for Wiggins? I don't really follow hoops outside of the NBA.

I'm just gonna copy and paste the explanation from reddit. Too lazy to summarize myself.

Wiggins: All the rumours you hear are true. This guy is the best player coming out of high school since Lebron. Freakish athlete, he can shoot, he can run the floor, he can pass, he can rebound. He's not as good as Bron was, but he's pretty close. His biggest issues, going in to college, seem to be non-basketball stuff -- his demeanor, his motor, his leadership. These are issues Bron didn't really have. Also needs to get stronger and improve ballhandling. All signs point to a generational talent.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Wat

I'm talking about a first option to lead a team to a chip, not championship material.

Dwight hasn't proven he is that yet.

Scottie Pippen was championship material but not a first option to win a chip.

See: 1994 Eastern Conference Playoffs

Worst example ever..

out of the 3 teams right now Dallas has the best coaching staff. Out of the 3 superstars on their respective teams it seems like Dirk is the most willing to let Dwight have the spotlight. In terms of ownership I think Lakers/Mavs are tied since they are both willing to spend a ton of cash and go over the cap. Not sure about Houston on that.

In terms of longterm Dallas and LA both have the most flexibility to really put a team around Dwight. In houston its really just gonna be Harden, Parsons, and Howard long term and I really don't think that trio can win a title-especially since all 3 of them appear to be jokers.

Its between the lakers and Mavs imo.

Fjordson

Why is everyone so hyped for Wiggins? I don't really follow hoops outside of the NBA.
Crazy athlete. Good height and length. He's a prime scoring small forward that the league loves these days.

He'll need to work on his outside game and get stronger, but he could be pretty special.

linsivvi

Nah. The Lakers don't have what it takes to achieve a proper tank job in order to win dat Wiggins lottery.

Wiggins is just the punchline. It's the deepest draft in many years and also the only season for a long time that the Lakers will get a first round pick.

But yeah, Kobe will probably fuck up the tank....

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm just excited to see Mav fans claim they never really wanted him in the first place after they don't sign him.

I'm a Mavs fan and I've been saying for months that I do NOT want him. This is a guy that could have proven his worth after Kobe's injury gave him the keys to the team and the guy scores seven points and gets ejected in an elimination game. And got pissed at Orlando because they didn't put up enough billboards of him up around town. He a selfish immature ass that will surely be overpaid by someone.

The current NBA climate is going to have to change because these "super teams" are fool's gold. What if the old man Pierce or Garnett are lost for the season due to their mileage and age? Or what if Wade continues to devolve? Or what if the Mavs were to sign Rondo and he doesn't come back 100% and Dwight has nagging back issues the rest of his career? It's hedging a bet on EVERYTHING working in your favor. It's a stupid gamble. The Heat have been lucky that Wade, Bosh, Lebron haven't gotten a major injury. Teams like the Spurs, Grizzlies, and Pacers have shown that they can compete with great team basketball. The Mavs showed that great team basketball can beat a super team. That's what teams should be striving for. Placing your bets on damaged goods and praying that they they don't turn into prima donnas or becoming a glorified cheerleader in a suit is moronic.

He may be fundamentally right now. Jabari's offensive game is probably the best in the class.

But long term, Wiggins has such a crazy ceiling because of how gifted he is physically.

When someone questioned Wiggins' drive to be great last year he went out and dropped 50 plus in the next game he played. He's definitely a special talent.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
In case ya'll wanted to know what Dwight was up to today.

Explains why Morey wasnt there yesterday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--d...ships--rockets-gm-can-t-attend-060815965.html

Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey belongs to the board of directors of Major League Gaming, and under most circumstances would've stopped over to the Anaheim Convention Center on Saturday night for the MLG's world championships.

Only, NBA tampering rules wouldn't have allowed it on the eve of the free-agency period starting Sunday at midnight ET, because the target of Morey's California trip – star center Dwight Howard – happened to be playing "Call of Duty" against kids at the event.

Morey had flown into Southern California on Saturday with the Rockets' traveling party to prepare to make their free-agent pitch to Howard late Sunday. Houston is competing with the Los Angeles Lakers and Dallas Mavericks to sign the All-Star center.

Would have loved to see Parsons vs Dwight at MLG.

linsivvi

I'm a Mavs fan and I've been saying for months that I do NOT want him. This is a guy that could have proven his worth after Kobe's injury gave him the keys to the team and the guy scores seven points and gets ejected in an elimination game. And got pissed at Orlando because they didn't put up enough billboards of him up around town. He a selfish immature ass that will surely be overpaid by someone.

This pretty damn much. The Rockets is a good fit for him though. Unlike the Lakers and Mavs, they don't have an aging star desperately trying to chip one more time. The only expectation for them is to make the playoffs, maybe win a round or two.

Branduil

This pretty damn much. The Rockets is a good fit for him though. Unlike the Lakers and Mavs, they don't have an aging star desperately trying to chip one more time. The only expectation for them is to make the playoffs, maybe win a round or two.

That's not going to be the expectation when Dwight signs there.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

The current NBA climate is going to have to change because these "super teams" are fool's gold. What if the old man Pierce or Garnett are lost for the season due to their mileage and age? Or what if Wade continues to devolve? Or what if the Mavs were to sign Rondo and he doesn't come back 100% and Dwight has nagging back issues the rest of his career? It's hedging a bet on EVERYTHING working in your favor. It's a stupid gamble. The Heat have been lucky that Wade, Bosh, Lebron haven't gotten a major injury. Teams like the Spurs, Grizzlies, and Pacers have shown that they can compete with great team basketball. The Mavs showed that great team basketball can beat a super team. That's what teams should be striving for. Placing your bets on damaged goods and praying that they they don't turn into prima donnas or becoming a glorified cheerleader in a suit is moronic.

The thing is like 90% of the teams that have won titles have been these so called super teams.

Like every team thats won a title has had at least 2 guys with multiple all star appearances/hall of famers and still at least somewhat in their prime. There are a few examples that run counter to this like the Pistons or the Mavs but they are complete anomalies more than anything.

Morey knows this better than anybody. The Rockets as currently constructed will be a really good for a really long time but really good isn't competing for the championship type of good. Adding somebody like Dwight might get you over the hump and its worth dealing with all of his bullshit for. Talent is all that really matters.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
That's not going to be the expectation when Dwight signs there.

It won't be at first if the rockets are smart and talk about Dwight and harden being a core to build upon. I believe they will have picks as well and might get something decent for asik. Season after next yeah I see them being in the hunt but next season nah they will need to work the kinks out playoff wise and rockets should be smart and just say it.

Dwight has been really immature in a lot of different ways but it's not the kind that would ward me off if I was pursuing especially if you're just looking to add him on with the core you have. Just make sure that your organization has solid infrastructure and that you surround him with the right locker room guys.

I think this whole hellish experience is probably the first time in his life that D12 has been forced to act like a grown ass man cause he went to the league straight from HS and has always been pampered. I think he will grow from it.

The only concern I would have is injury risk cause it was his back but otherwise he is a guy you never pass up on for the sake of adding more B level talent that you hope will work out against the big dogs.

linsivvi

Dwight has been really immature in a lot of different ways but it's not the kind that would ward me off if I was pursuing especially if you're just looking to add him on with the core you have. Just make sure that your organization has solid infrastructure and that you surround him with the right locker room guys.

I think this whole hellish experience is probably the first time in his life that D12 has been forced to act like a grown ass man cause he went to the league straight from HS and has always been pampered. I think he will grow from it.

The only concern I would have is injury risk cause it was his back but otherwise he is a guy you never pass up on for the sake of adding more B level talent that you hope will work out against the big dogs.

It's been 3 seasons now. How much longer does it take for him to start acting like a grown man?

It's been 3 seasons now. How much longer does it take for him to start acting like a grown man?

He's at the same stage where LeBron was when you guys were saying the exact same thing about LeBron (minus the back issues). We'll see if Dwight actually tries to grow from the experience like LeBron or stays the same. And even then it took for Bron to get embarrassed in the '11 finals before he got his shit together the way we wanted him to

But like I said before, Dwight was forced to "settle" for Los Angeles and Orlando was his first organization where he acted like a kid the whole time (Like LeBron in Cleveland)

A change of scenery should do wonders for him

does Dwight have kids? cause I think something like fatherhood would actually make him get his shit together

Then again Beasley has a kid too so yeah...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
He's at the same stage where LeBron was when you guys were saying the exact same thing about LeBron (minus the back issues). We'll see if Dwight actually tries to grow from the experience like LeBron or stays the same. And even then it took for Bron to get embarrassed in the '11 finals before he got his shit together the way we wanted him to

But like I said before, Dwight was forced to "settle" for Los Angeles and Orlando was his first organization where he acted like a kid the whole time (Like LeBron in Cleveland)

A change of scenery should do wonders for him

does Dwight have kids? cause I think something like fatherhood would actually make him get his shit together

Dwight has 5 kids. With 5 different women.

At least. Could be more.

The thing is like 90% of the teams that have won titles have been these so called super teams.

Like every team thats won a title has had at least 2 guys with multiple all star appearances/hall of famers and still at least somewhat in their prime. There are a few examples that run counter to this like the Pistons or the Mavs but they are complete anomalies more than anything.

Morey knows this better than anybody. The Rockets as currently constructed will be a really good for a really long time but really good isn't competing for the championship type of good. Adding somebody like Dwight might get you over the hump and its worth dealing with all of his bullshit for. Talent is all that really matters.
Yep. People also don't realize that Dallas shelled out more dough than anybody the year they won. You still have to pay the cost and this luxury tax is killer. You can't just throw a random bunch of middling players with a few allstars together and expect to chip because Dallas did it. You need superstars.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
While other teams are waiting on Dwight's doorstep, Flip Saunders is meeting with Chase Budinger. And I'm alright with this.

Westlo

lolwut? D-12 joins that team and you would want to be WCF minimum. they just need to deal Asik for a pf that fits the team.

linsivvi

A change of scenery should do wonders for him.

Lebron's biggest mistake was the Decision and the subsequent celebration ceremony. That's a series of mistakes made during one summer.

The Dwightmare stuff have been going on for 3 seasons now. He might have been younger than Lebron was when this all started, but both are grown men in their mid 20s. Yet, 3 years later he's still the same person.

Some people are just not capable of growing up.

lolwut? D-12 joins that team and you would want to be WCF minimum. they just need to deal Asik for a pf that fits the team.

That's an unreasonable expectation. The West is stacked. Unless Harden improves his game another notch, that's not going to happen this season. And if he does improve, that just confirmed the fact that Dwight can only be a Robin on a winning team.

Lebron's biggest mistake was the Decision and the subsequent celebration ceremony. That's a series of mistakes made during one summer.

The Dwightmare stuff have been going on for 3 seasons now. He might have been younger than Lebron was when this all started, but both are grown men in their mid 20s. Yet, 3 years later he's still the same person.

Some people are just not capable of growing up.

Eh even before the decision yall (maybe not you) ragged on him for what appeared to be for a lack of worth ethic, seriousness, and a lack of respect for the game and his talents

Dwight's "issues" have gone on for three years, but really, these are his issues...

-Can't decide where I want to go
-I kind of want this coach fired but I don't?
-I hate playing with Kobe and I hate D'Antoni so I am going to bow out like a bitch

And I don't think those are really the worst. Look, if you're the Lakers you probably don't want him back. I'll give you guys that; the guy needs a clean slate, period.

If you're the other teams pursuing him what you're doing is right, make him feel like he's going to a situation where he can feel comfortable just doing his job and all this shit he has been going through for 3 years will finally go away.

linsivvi

If you're the other teams pursuing him what you're doing is right, make him feel like he's going to a situation where he can feel comfortable just doing his job and all this shit he has been going through for 3 years will finally go away.

Well that's why I said Houston is a good fit for him. An aging team with only a couple years left for their franchise player cannot wait for him to mature. The Rockets have a super young core and they can afford that. I just don't think that's enough for the Rockets to win without more moves.

Top Bottom