• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
NEW YORK – The NBA is exploring the idea of pushing back its annual draft at least a week, a person with direct knowledge of discussions between the league and its TV partners told USA TODAY Sports.
The NBA believes it can turn the draft into a bigger event and showcase its new players and generate more interest in the draft by creating more distance between the conclusion of the Finals and the draft. The hangover from the Finals lingers into draft week, suppressing some of the drama, excitement and coverage leading up to the event.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2013/06/28/nba-explores-idea-moving-back-draft/2472687/

Zeller wins RoTY btw

The future, I've seent it.

Probably. I'd like CJM but he has too many offensive minded starters.

Zellers only obstacle to being the rookie scoring leader will be Kemba, and there's plenty enough ball to go around in Charlotte.

He's absolutely right but can us loserbros have our superbowl please? The wait killed me enough this year.

This ESPN piece about dudes coming home from the war to see their family...
9aocv7.jpg.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant plans to be part of the presentation on Tuesday to convince free-agent center Dwight Howard to re-sign with the franchise, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

The Lakers are expected to make the final case to Howard in Los Angeles, letting Houston, Dallas, Golden State and Atlanta go before them. Bryant has offered to be a part of the contingent that will include the Buss family, general manager Mitch Kupchak and possibly coach Mike D'Antoni.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kobe-bryant-to-meet-with-dwight-howard-194858873.html

They're trying to get him to leave right?

Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant plans to be part of the presentation on Tuesday to convince free-agent center Dwight Howard to re-sign with the franchise, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

The Lakers are expected to make the final case to Howard in Los Angeles, letting Houston, Dallas, Golden State and Atlanta go before them. Bryant has offered to be a part of the contingent that will include the Buss family, general manager Mitch Kupchak and possibly coach Mike D'Antoni.

Howard and Bryant have had a tepid relationship, but have stayed in touch in the offseason.

Howard, 27, can sign a five-year, $117 million-plus contract extension to stay with the Lakers. He has been leaning toward the Houston Rockets, league sources told Yahoo! Sports, but no one engaged in the discussions dares ruling out his staying with the Lakers.

Houston can sign Howard to a four-year, $88 million contract.

I know people here think Howard hates Kobe, but all indications are the opposite. I'd argue Kobe is one of the reasons Howard would stay, but whatever.

Also, Houston cannot sign him to that contract without more roster moves. Only $16 mil in cap space right now, that's roughly 4/$70 mil. It'll be interesting to see if they can make a move. They kind of have to cuz I don't think Howard will leave that much on the table.

It doesn't fit with everyone preconceived notions or the media wanting to make stories, but I bet he liked playing with Kobe. Kobe was one of the only players (especially since Nash and Pau missed so many games) that got him the ball. He tried to get him some quasi-triangle looks as well.

Anyone who actually watched Laker games noticed how hard Kobe tried to get Dwight looks. Hell, Cloudy continually complained about it. But whatever, people want to believe Kobe is the worst teammate ever so obviously he hates him.

I've said it from day 1, if there is any issue it's with D'Antoni, not Kobe. Even if Dwight leaves, I bet Dwight years from now will praise playing with Kobe.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kobe-bryant-to-meet-with-dwight-howard-194858873.html

:jnc

Kobe and Dwight have been talking back and forth so why wouldn't he show up?

Not like he has much to do with his injury, anyway. lol

The narrative on Kobe is so ingrained y'all can't even think straight.

squicken

Also, Houston cannot sign him to that contract without more roster moves. Only $16 mil in cap space right now, that's roughly 4/$70 mil. It'll be interesting to see if they can make a move. They kind of have to cuz I don't think Howard will leave that much on the table.

They waived Brooks and Delfino today. No idea what effect that has

They waived Brooks and Delfino today. No idea what effect that has

That was where I got the $16 mil number from.

Somewhere between $42-43 million in 9 contracts + 3 roster spot holds. Projected cap around $58.5 million. No one will know til the actual cap numbers are out, of course.

squicken

They still need to clear at least one contract out of TRob / Lin / Asik.

Asik would definitely be the easiest guy to move but TRob is the guy they're trying to move right now.

That was where I got the $16 mil number from.

Somewhere between $42-43 million in 9 contracts + 3 roster spot holds. Projected cap around $58.5 million. No one will know til the actual cap numbers are out, of course.

Thanks. Don't really want Howard and I'd hate to lose Asik. I don't really know all of the free agents, but it seems like what they really need is a 4

reilo

Portland can absorb Asscheek's contract straight up and give the Rockets a TPE.

When does free agency start? The 2nd?

tonight midnight EST.

Someone under the cap will take TRob for a second. I'd rather save Asik for an upgrade at pg/pf

I'd imagine they have a deal ready to go contingent on Dwight signing but won't make the deal unless Dwight signs. They've kept the lid on the deal most likely.

Shedding T-Rob for a 2nd round pick would keep them close to like 4/85 I think, not the full 88. But again, final cap numbers need to be out.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
When does free agency start? The 2nd?

Technically it starts on the first but there is a moratorium so there won't be a whole lot going on starting tomorrow. Officially that is.

• Rookie scale contracts to first round draft picks.
  • A second round draft pick can accept a required tender, which is a one-year contract that teams are required to offer in order to retain their rights to the player.
  • A restricted free agent can accept a qualifying offer from his previous team.
  • A restricted free agent finishing the fourth season of his rookie scale contract can accept a maximum qualifying offer. The actual amount is not determined until the end of the moratorium.
  • Teams may sign players to contracts of one or two years for the minimum salary.

Only things teams can do now until the moratorium is up. Basically teams are talking with guys and working out deals but nothing is official until they can actually sign contracts.

reilo

RT @HowardBeckNYT: Knicks appear close to acquiring Andrea Bargnani from Toronto, per source. NY offering Camby, Novak, 2 picks

HAHHAHAHAHHAA

If true, thanks Knicks for saving both the Clippers and Raptors. I doubted any significant interest in a defensive coach like Rivers wanting anything to do with Bargnani, but still scary.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
RT @HowardBeckNYT: Knicks appear close to acquiring Andrea Bargnani from Toronto, per source. NY offering Camby, Novak, 2 picks

HAHHAHAHAHHAA

lollolololol

reilo

Knicks want to give up ANOTHER first round pick, and this time for Bargnani?

lmao

And Knicks fans were mad at me for making "Knicks never have a draft pick in a good draft" jokes? Time to refocus your hate!

Top Bottom