• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I hope when he leaves his replacement doesn't WWE the NBA so blatantly or at least doesn't earn the rep for fixing the league....

I think the knicks need to add another starter in my opinion at the 3/4 and get Tyson a legitimate center as his back up (steisma maybe since I hear the wolves are planning to let him go anyway for nothing) After that if they can move any combination of Kidd, Camby, and Novak is just a plus. I've said it before 2015 is now the rebuild date they should spend that time building a winning culture and finding a better playoff identity.
They need a two way wing player at SG/SF who can score and also they need to address if they want to keep Carmelo at PF. The whole reason they did is because they didn't have enough shooting to surround him with, if you can get a Reggie Bullock/Jamaal Franklin/euro player who can score, do you switch up? I'm going to go heavy on the SF class this week and see. Bullock seems a bit small for SF, Franklin can defend multiple positions but his offense needs work.

Camby dealt with plantar facistis the whole year, you hope he can contribute next year.

Novak's use depends on if they re-sign Chris Copeland.

Kidd hopefully retires.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
They need a two way wing player at SG/SF who can score and also they need to address if they want to keep Carmelo at PF. The whole reason they did is because they didn't have enough shooting to surround him with, if you can get a Reggie Bullock/Jamaal Franklin/euro player who can score, do you switch up? I'm going to go heavy on the SF class this week and see. Bullock seems a bit small for SF, Franklin can defend multiple positions but his offense needs work.

Camby dealt with plantar facistis the whole year, you hope he can contribute next year.

Kidd hopefully retires.

I like bullock he seems like you know what you are getting as a 3 pt shooter and defender. I would prefer if they found a SF/PF to put next to melo since that could allow Melo to play the same and would avoid redundancies if they played at the same time. Also like you said he is as small as can be expected to play the position unless he has a large wingspan to compensate which he doesn't so....

Gotta make up for basketball reasons.

sBgxjzq.gif

I thought I was the only Biedrins fan here

Expiring contract in the upcoming season no? Hopefully he can be moved for an established hussle PF or a taller, older center.

Damn...Kaman would be a good backup big to pick up...well, if the Warriors had the $$$

Sorry...OT. :( No draft picks this year.

Starting to think Zeller might be the safest big on the draft. Athletic stats like that plus pretty good advanced stats. Probably won't be anything special but a guaranteed 15 and 8 guy as a starter is better than risking shit on a lot of other guys.

Still love Olynyk.

Mike Muscala is a great pick in the 2nd round.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Only in Toronto could you fail and still get promoted. Fuck BC.

Guess the Ujiri signing must be close.

Probably not. They had to make a decision on Colangelo today apparently in regards to the team option and what not. We could still be weeks away from any potential new GM announcement.

charsace

Kidd hopefully retires.
Myck Kabongo. He is what the Knicks need. A pg that gets into the lane at will and also a guy that brings leadership. Myck brings both and with the silly suspension he got he will drop in the draft.

Took like two days to get over things enough to post in here.

How can we improve in any reasonable way? We really have to get lucky w/this draft pick. There's no way we're getting any $$$ off the books. There's no way we are going to get JR at a reasonable enough cost to merit his knucklehead play. There's no way a CP3 is coming through the door...or even an Eric Gordon, or JJ Redick, or even Brandon Jennings or something that could improve our ability to keep the ball moving.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Took like two days to get over things enough to post in here.

How can we improve in any reasonable way? We really have to get lucky w/this draft pick. There's no way we're getting any $$$ off the books. There's no way we are going to get JR at a reasonable enough cost to merit his knucklehead play. There's no way a CP3 is coming through the door...or even an Eric Gordon, or JJ Redick, or even Brandon Jennings or something that could improve our ability to keep the ball moving.

blow it up.

trade melo and rebuild

Best case scenario for NY is Kidd and Camby call it a career, JR gives a hometown discount and NY finds a good rotation guy in the Draft. Even if that happens, their ceiling is getting bounced in the ECF.

Best case scenario for NY is Kidd and Camby call it a career, JR gives a hometown discount and NY finds a good rotation guy in the Draft. Even if that happens, their ceiling is getting bounced in the ECF.
Two of those things should happen. Shump will improve and probably becomes more relied upon, not to mention it would be nice to see a 100% Felton/Chandler. The problem is until Wade's knee disintegrates (next year???) the Heat are blocking them.

EDIT: Funny thing is the East isn't going to be that much better next year. It's just that the playoff teams' names will change.

KingGondo

Banned
Two of those things should happen. Shump will improve and probably becomes more relied upon, not to mention it would be nice to see a 100% Felton/Chandler. The problem is until Wade's knee disintegrates (next year???) the Heat are in the way.
The Heat without Wade would still probably be favored over the Knicks in the playoffs.

And let's not forget about Indiana. Pacers aren't going anywhere.

And let's not forget about Indiana. Pacers aren't going anywhere.
Edited to reflect that idea.

You have the Heat, Pacers, Knicks, and Bulls. Atlanta once they lose Josh Smith is done. Philly MIGHT fight for an 8th spot. Bucks gonna lose Jennings, they're done. Nets probably stay the same/regress a bit. The Wizards are going to take that leap into the playoffs and I think they can fight the Nets for a 5th-6th spot. Magic... might be too early for them, but they have some damn good young talent.

Everyone's ceiling in the Eastern Conference is ECF until the Superfriends in MIA are broken up due to injury or free agency...and even then, the injury has to be a real one and not the little bumps and bruises they've suffered so far.

The best any team in the Eastern Conference can realistically do is get to the ECF with a legitimate chance of beating MIA. The Bulls might be able to do that when Rose gets back and if that team stays intact and healthy. The Pacers might be able to do that if Granger comes back and George/Hibbert/Stephenson/Hill continue to grow and show improvement.

The Knicks can't do that unless that draft is lucky.

Everyone's ceiling in the Eastern Conference is ECF until the Superfriends in MIA are broken up due to injury or free agency...and even then, the injury has to be a real one and not the little bumps and bruises they've suffered so far.

The best any team in the Eastern Conference can realistically do is get to the ECF with a legitimate chance of beating MIA. The Bulls might be able to do that when Rose gets back and if that team stays intact and healthy. The Pacers might be able to do that if Granger comes back and George/Hibbert/Stephenson/Hill continue to grow and show improvement.

The Knicks can't do that unless that draft is lucky.

I think Chicago and Indy have enough assets to make a big move and challenge Miami. A healthy Chicago ( lol Thibs) might bounce Miami, Knicks are much further away than those 2 teams and can't really improve.

Define luck. Is luck getting a solid rotation player/potential starter? Because their are options where both can happen. Remember back when we ere watching the draft and you weren't thrilled with Shump?

"Luck" would be getting a Shump or better, instant starting impact type of player.

The Knicks need:
- a floor general who can keep the ball moving and allow Anthony and any other scorers to score in the flow of the offense/minimize the need for ISO basketball.
- a consistent 2nd or 3rd offensive option that allows Anthony to not be the only scoring choice
- a consistent shooting option that can keep the floor stretched for Anthony and friends to do their work
- a front court piece that can work alongside Chandler and Melo that can score/rebound consistently without giving up the universe in size/defense

So since that player doesn't exist (or if these players existed, we won't have the ability to trade for/sign them), I dunno what we can do.

"Luck" would be getting a Shump or better, instant starting impact type of player.

The Knicks need:
- a floor general who can keep the ball moving and allow Anthony and any other scorers to score in the flow of the offense/minimize the need for ISO basketball.
- a consistent 2nd or 3rd offensive option that allows Anthony to not be the only scoring choice
- a consistent shooting option that can keep the floor stretched for Anthony and friends to do their work
- a front court piece that can work alongside Chandler and Melo that can score/rebound consistently without giving up the universe in size/defense

So since that player doesn't exist (or if these players existed, we won't have the ability to trade for/sign them), I dunno what we can do.
How about chars' guy (who I'm reading up on and like?)

Or Reggie Bullock, who's a much better shooter than Shump as a rookie and guarded the best scoring wing at NC?

There are a number of good rotation players who can play two ways in the draft, they just aren't athletic freaks or have super-scoring potential. If you like a guy like Danny Green in an offense, plenty of those guys around. The question is how big is Grunwald looking to improve using the draft... will he buy 2nd rounders? I dunno. Could he trade the 1st for the Cavs' 31st and 33rd pick? Dunno, and it's the general unknown with the team that's killing everyone. How do you fix stuff? CAN you fix stuff?

KingGondo

Banned
So Presti definitively states that OKC won't amnesty Perk. LOL what a fuck up.
Yeah, I posted this yesterday. OKC's organization is obviously good, but they're so conservative and rigid sometimes.

I guess I can take heart that we still won 60 games and were favorites to win the West again before YNB went down, even though Perk started and played heavy minutes throughout the season.

Doesn't mean we wouldn't be better with tons of other guys at C. Hell, Pachulia would be fine playing alongside YNB and KD. Why not amnesty Perk and throw $5 million/year at Kaman?

For now, I think the plan is to keep on drafting bigs and hope one is ready when Perk's contract expires in two years. Hopefully we don't draft another Aldrich. I'd imagine Len is who they're targeting if I had to guess.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Kevin Love is representing the Wolves at the lottery. The guy that twice broke his hand this year, once doing pushups, is going to be there for luck.

thefro

Starting to think Zeller might be the safest big on the draft. Athletic stats like that plus pretty good advanced stats. Probably won't be anything special but a guaranteed 15 and 8 guy as a starter is better than risking shit on a lot of other guys.

Yeah, he's a pretty safe bet to do that just with hustle and garbage points if he gets minutes.

As an Indiana Hoosiers fan, I still think he has a chance at being a Gasol-type in the NBA if he ever learns to shoot the jumper in games like he allegedly does in practice. He's got good range on his shot but just never shot it in games much. He shot a lot more jumpers in HS than he did at IU.

Kevin Love is representing the Wolves at the lottery. The guy that twice broke his hand this year, once doing pushups, is going to be there for luck.
His luck has to improve, can't get any worse and the team hopes to ride that. Pek/Love/Kilirenko/Shved/Rubio if they stay healthy is going to be the surprise team in the West next year. They just need to draft some defensive wings.

charsace

The Knicks need:

MYCK MOTHERFUCKING KABONGO!

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
His luck has to improve, can't get any worse and the team hopes to ride that. Pek/Love/Kilirenko/Shved/Rubio if they stay healthy is going to be the surprise team in the West next year. They just need to draft some defensive wings.

Shved was actually terrible for the last ... couple months? I don't know. Teams found out that you could just body him, and he totally wilted. Just miserable to watch.

I'd say that they need guys that can hit some outside shots more than anything. One of the worst teams from three ever this year. I don't know much about this draft or if anybody can be found with our pick, though. They need to re-sign Budinger, pick up another wing or two can shoot (I hear Wayne Ellington is available), and pray.

Some tidbits from Knicks cleanup day... Tyson not sure Kidd is coming back, Carmelo will get shoulder checked out to see if surgery is needed, or just therapy.

Al Iannazzone @Al_Iannazzone about 2 hours ago
Iman Shumpert said the Knicks "failed." They should have at least gotten to the EC Finals.
I love this kid. No PR bullshit, says the truth.
Frank Isola @FisolaNYDN 2 hours ago
I believe Jason Kidd negotiates a buyout with Knicks. I think Marcus Camby stays and Rasheed brings his warmth and winning smile as a coach.
Coach Sheed...

image.jpg

Jared Zwerling @JaredZwerling about 2 hours ago
Novak said overall he needs to get quicker, stronger, and work on guarding 3s and 4s and putting the ball on the court more
Also Novak plans to slay the Jabberwocky and go through his magic wardrobe to team up with Aslan and save Narnia.

Top Bottom