• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

The Monta to the Knicks thing doesn't even make any sense. They can't receive players in a sign and trade, and who thinks it'd be in character for Ellis to take the 3.1 million tax payer MLE?

I refuse to believe we're serious about signing Jefferson. We're probably just doing our due diligence to see what we'd have to spend to get someone of his quality while at the same time looking like we're trying to get better to our fans.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The Nets as a win-now team with Humphries and Wallace aren't the same as the Nets with KG and Pierce in their stead.

PP is a deadly knock down shooter from anywhere inside 27 feet and KG is the same for anywhere inside 19 feet. Deron should handily lead the league in APG next season, and with Kidd there, you know he's just gonna let Deron play his game.

That being said they're still probably second round fodder If they run into a healthy Miami/Indy/Chicago.

Depending on how they gel, any team but Miami should be beatable..

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
damn prokorov doesnt give a fuck

its really the picks. camby and novak for bargnani was fine but then there were 3 picks involved, one of them a first. none of the knicks writers are happy about this deal at all

Those are the main questions man. Last time it all went wrong this time....the potential if it all going wrong is there pi once again. If the Knicks are smart they won't make a big deal of one FA until they figure out who is likely to bounce.... Like kyrie might be the best FA of that year but he is a lot more likely to stay than say a Kevin love or an alderidge.....

Into

Is Kidd really the coach to manage these guys? KG is going to listen to Kidd?

The team will need to "gel", and by the time they do, Pierce and KG will retire

They wont be better than the young and defense minded Pacers, they wont be better than the Bulls if Rose even plays 70% of his former self and they likely wont be better than the Knicks, even with that hilarious Bargs trade.

4th - 5th seed, crash in first or second round of playoffs at best. They might beat Philly or whoever they get matched up against and then get rocked

Zeus Molecules

Also Masud made a good point that pick was tied to Denver anyway.... If the Knicks had a bad year Denver would just swap picks with them anyhow.... Barg can come in and play 2nd/3rd option behind Melo or JR (or Monta that I don't even know how that works unless he really wants to go for it). Then come 2015 I think Knicks are OD positioned cap wise to go after that year FA's.

giri

I hope so, giri hasn't suffered this off season yet.

Woah Woah Woah.

Hang on guy.

no need to go shooting everyone you see.

Actually, our new GM is doing wonders by not doing Anything.

He only has to make sure to get a few picks for Gortat with out fucking up our long term cap, and i'll call him a genius.

If he can somehow move beasley as part of that trade then even better.

If our roster for most of the year is Dragic, Goodwin, Tucker/dudley, Morris, Len then i'll be ok with that. There are guys there that are going to need time to develop fully if the'yre going to develop at all.

shira

Also Masud made a good point that pick was tied to Denver anyway.... If the Knicks had a bad year Denver would just swap picks with them anyhow.... Barg can come in and play 2nd/3rd option behind Melo or JR (or Monta that I don't even know how that works unless he really wants to go for it). Then come 2015 I think Knicks are OD positioned cap wise to go after that year FA's.
Lol you don't know pasta very well. If he isn't forced to shoot 30 shots a game he just disappears.

Haha

Caleb Saenz ‏@calebjsaenz 7h Spurs' free agency pitch will just be that clip of Duncan laughing at Dwight on repeat as Pop cranks Metallica's Black Album at full volume.

Haha

Caleb Saenz ‏@calebjsaenz 7h Spurs' free agency pitch will just be that clip of Duncan laughing at Dwight on repeat as Pop cranks Metallica's Black Album at full volume.

Nice, I hope the Spurs can land someone good in free agency. Tyreke would be interesting. I doubt SA would be willing to pay him what other teams will likely offer though. Al Jefferson might be a good fit too, especially if Pop could get him to play defense.

Zeus Molecules

MONTA ELLIS
I WENT TO SLEEP AND IT GOT WORSE
I QUIT

I don't even know how that deal works mathematically.... Unless he really is tired of playing for bad teams.... Until Wojina says anything I don't believe it.

Also stay strong bruh Knicks are going to have crazy money in 2 years

Imagine hibbert and kwahi Leonard next to Melo and shump and Felton or if Kyrie opts out Knicks will likely be the top destination....

I don't even know how that deal works mathematically.... Unless he really is tired of playing for bad teams.... Until Wojina says anything I don't believe it.

Also stay strong bruh Knicks are going to have crazy money in 2 years

Imagine hibbert and kwahi Leonard next to Melo and shump and Felton or if Kyrie opts out Knicks will likely be the top destination....

I have no faith that we will ever get the undisputed best FA in any FA class. It's always going to be a compromise. We're gonna get the injured guy, or the 1-dimensional guy, or the guy that's left over because we can't stack the deck perfectly or offer no tax or something. The only way we're ever going to have a real, legit chance is to get lucky and draft our own guy...but we keep trading picks for fun as a tax to the rest of the league on trades, so we're never going to do that.

Even if we somehow managed to get Monta Ellis for the MLE...that Felton/Ellis/Melo/Bargnani/Chandler starting lineup is just LOOOOOOOOOOOOL. I hope that this is all going to lead to some shrewd 2-max contract attack in 2015, but what is that going to mean for the next two years?

Nobility

Banned
IT HAPPENED

Ujiri is a genious.

j2UlRli.gif

Sources: Knicks express interest in Monta Ellis. http://cbsprt.co/12fDSQF

Knicks...

NOHcIN2.png

Move seems so fucking dumb.

a lot of teams are fucking up their tanks.
If the bobacts sign Al they are a much lower pick. Detroit trying to win now and shit. Toronto getting rid of Bargs (they were soo much better without him...lol).

good....All I need is Orlando to get out of the way and we are in there.

Zeus Molecules

I have no faith that we will ever get the undisputed best FA in any FA class. It's always going to be a compromise. We're gonna get the injured guy, or the 1-dimensional guy, or the guy that's left over because we can't stack the deck perfectly or offer no tax or something. The only way we're ever going to have a real, legit chance is to get lucky and draft our own guy...but we keep trading picks for fun as a tax to the rest of the league on trades, so we're never going to do that.

Even if we somehow managed to get Monta Ellis for the MLE...that Felton/Ellis/Melo/Bargnani/Chandler starting lineup is just LOOOOOOOOOOOOL. I hope that this is all going to lead to some shrewd 2-max contract attack in 2015, but what is that going to mean for the next two years?

I feel you on the free agency deal but 2010 the Knicks had no core besides role players who couldn't even make it to the playoffs. This time is different the knicks will have melo, and a playoff ready team. Plus the knicks will have more money than anyone else (in theory Miami is some devious motherfuckers). Also 2015 is a great FA class it has depth at the big and pg spots.

Like after I calmed down and sobered up and looked at this deal again... Its a book keeping deal and Bargnani if healthy could contribute. I been saying Knicks need to look to 2015 as a way to escape being a middle of the road team and taking bargnani is unfortunately just another method to do it.

Lastly that was denvers pick if the Knicks sucked in 2016 anyway. Of the rebuild works come 2016 that pick is in the 25-30 range so its not the worse.

If the bobacts sign Al they are a much lower pick. Detroit trying to win now and shit. Toronto getting rid of Bargs (they were soo much better without him...lol).

when jameer inevitably gets hurt and et moore is starting at point guard you have no chance

Would you rather the Pistons spend the money they have on a worse player? It's not like free agents are falling all over themselves to go to Detroit.

They've lucked out on getting franchise caliber talent at less than favorable drafting positions. You don't fuck up their development by maxing out a guy who plays one of their positions.

I would rather spend the money on Iggy. They need playmaking in a bad way.

I'm starting to think Monroe might be on the move.

2014 unprotected and whoever else is on our roster other than Otto, Beal and Wall.

Get it done EG.

Sharp

They've lucked out on getting franchise caliber talent at less than favorable drafting positions. You don't fuck up their development by maxing out a guy who plays one of their positions.

I would rather spend the money on Iggy. They need playmaking in a bad way.
Yeah, Iggy might be a good move for them. Is he a free agent? Didn't realize that.
2014 unprotected and whoever else is on our roster other than Otto, Beal and Wall.

Get it done EG.
2014 Wiz unprotected? You're drinking the kool-aid from the month and a half after Wall came back too hard. I'm not saying we have a shot at Wiggins, unless some key players get injured, but I bet we get a shot at a good player.

Ugh, sorry for the double post.

The Bobcats were more like a 17 win team than a 21 win team last year (going by differential) and I'm near certain that Al isn't more than a 7 win player even on a bad team so they'd still be in the hunt.

We aren't signing Al Jefferson. It's Hendo and if not Josh McRoberts then it'll be someone on his tier.

thekad

Banned
Al never fucked up the Wolves' tank.

Rockets are going after Brewer and Dunleavy Jr. Hope they can land Dunleavy, great shooter and passer. He would be perfect.

Yeah, Iggy might be a good move for them. Is he a free agent? Didn't realize that.

2014 Wiz unprotected? You're drinking the kool-aid from the month and a half after Wall came back too hard. I'm not saying we have a shot at Wiggins, unless some key players get injured, but I bet we get a shot at a good player.

Ugh, sorry for the double post.

I don't know that any of those prospects would be better than Monroe or Drummond though.

And lets say top 3 protected then.

Sharp

not to run/create offense his rookie year

magic point guard play will be the worst in the league, truthfact
Lakers will give them a run for their money. Or do they still have Nash?
I don't know that any of those prospects would be better than Monroe or Drummond though.

And lets say top 3 protected then.
Top 3 protected makes sense for the Wiz but it stops making sense for the Pistons. I see what you're saying though. I just think the Wiz are too close to another complete tank season.

Are you excited for Turner unleashed?

Turner isn't long for this world/team.

I expect him to be gone soon.

it would be nice to keep him tho.

He is no longer going to be "held back" by Doug/Iggy/Jrue.

I could also see him having a "look at dem stats" type season on shit %s.

Turner at the very least is a great tank player.

Thad needs to go tho...can't have all that effort and fucks being given.

Detroit is highly likely to send their pick to us this year. If they sign Smith it would make a ton of sense to trade Monroe for a 2014 pick.

He is no longer going to be "held back" by Doug/Iggy/Jrue.

I could also see him having a "look at dem stats" type season on shit %s.

Turner at the very least is a great tank player.

Thad needs to go tho...can't have all that effort and fucks being given.

This current situation is perfect for him though. He can go back to his college days of playing LeBron ball and there's nobody in line to take that job from him.

Sharp

jameer is so moribund that it's like not having a point guard
I just checked and the only members of that 2009 Finals teams still on the Magic are Jameer and Turkoglu

I'm not sure what that means, if anything.

I do remember everyone insanely overrating both of them at the time though.

Top Bottom