• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

did tmac ever quit on his team before they even played a game

Literally the saddest attempt from you yet.

I go for months on end not posting anywhere on GAF.

Work makes it so.

Has been the case since I moved to Washington.

Hell, I don't think I even posted at times where the Lakers were winning...Hornets comeback and Raptors game come to mind.

I post now when I can.

I still maintain Bynum > Dwight offensively, if he was healthy I would have much rather kept him, he's still three years younger than Dwight.

Offense isn't where Dwight's biggest value comes from. Though we'll see if Dwight ever returns to being the having the same level of impact on defense post-injury.

True Story:

Yesterday morning, I was getting shots up and when the basketball was bouncing around on the rim, I'd shout, "GET IN THERE!!!"

It worked a few times.

Thanks, Booz.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Any of you guys check out this ESPN special before? It really shows the struggle Boozer and his wife went through to save their son's life. Shows how dedicated he is to his family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWU22DGOO2c
How can anyone watch this without tearing up? Seriously.

True Story:

Yesterday morning, I was getting shots up and when the basketball was bouncing around on the rim, I'd shout, "GET IN THERE!!!"

It worked a few times.

Thanks, Booz.
I do the same thing during sex.

Thanks, Booz.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
This was really endearing. I'm glad Carmani Boozer is ok.

Carmani is a dope ass name. He's gonna be a star!
Carmani Boozer will one day carry the Chicago Boozers to the NBA Finals, ending decades of futility. This will, of course, come after Carlos Boozer buys the team, and makes Taj Gibson (who by this point will finally learn to read) the GM.

I'm really worried if Dwight goes to another team that LA amnesties Kobe

They'll keep him because without Dwight they'll need someone to keep butts in the seat and draw headlines. Kobe coming back from an injury can do that, the garbage roster they'd have without him, well....

Vahagn

They'll keep him because without Dwight they'll need someone to keep butts in the seat and draw headlines. Kobe coming back from an injury can do that, the garbage roster they'd have without him, well....

They're at 77 million without Dwight for next year. You Amnesty Kobe (have him retire for one year) you save about 85 million in luxury tax. Trade Pau for some pieces, Tank So Hard Mutha******* can't find em, then re-sign Kobe after you get a lottery pick, and maybe even LBJ in the FA summer of 2014.

Without Dwight there's no reason to be a 8th seed and pay 130 million in luxury tax for Pau + Kobe

Edit: If they Amnesty Kobe and Trade Pau for an exception they don't end up using and take back half in contracts...they'll end up with about 115 million in luxury tax savings. 41 Home games a year, they can sustain a 2.5+ million loss per game in ticket sales and concessions and still come out in the black because of the luxury tax savings.

It makes all the business sense in the world to do that if you can't contend.

They're at 77 million without Dwight for next year. You Amnesty Kobe (have him retire for one year) you save about 85 million in luxury tax. Trade Pau for some pieces, Tank So Hard Mutha******* can't find em, then re-sign Kobe after you get a lottery pick, and maybe even LBJ in the FA summer of 2014.

Without Dwight there's no reason to be a 8th seed and pay 130 million in luxury tax for Pau + Kobe

Edit: If they Amnesty Kobe and Trade Pau for an exception they don't end up using and take back half in contracts...they'll end up with about 115 million in luxury tax savings. 41 Home games a year, they can sustain a 2.5+ million loss per game in ticket sales and concessions and still come out in the black because of the luxury tax savings.

It makes all the business sense in the world to do that if you can't contend.

I don't think they can resign Kobe until his contract is up with them. And Kobe won't retire for a year, they amnesty him and he'll be playing with another team next season. But yeah, financially you are correct, I just find it hard to imagine the Lakers conceding all the headlines to the Clippers, going into full-on tank mode, and letting Kobe play for another team.

Vahagn

I don't think they can resign Kobe until his contract is up with them. And Kobe won't retire for a year, they amnesty him and he'll be playing with another team next season. But yeah, financially you are correct, I just find it hard to imagine the Lakers conceding all the headlines to the Clippers, going into full-on tank mode, and letting Kobe play for another team.

contract up next summer. He'd rather "retire" than play for some shit team for the same money. He's passing Jordan scoring wise in half a season. No reason left to play except to chip. It would be a tough sell, but if everyone's on board and the fan base knows this is an intentional tank for a lottery pick with a full reload in 2014, They'll be all good. Pau and Kobe can come back next year on 10 mil per contract type of deals, get Lebron, get a lottery pick, and go HAM.

Not saying it's what I want, necessarily and you're probably right, Kobe doesn't accept it. But, it's probably the smartest play all around.

contract up next summer. He'd rather "retire" than play for some shit team for the same money. He's passing Jordan scoring wise in half a season. No reason left to play except to chip. It would be a tough sell, but if everyone's on board and the fan base knows this is an intentional tank for a lottery pick with a full reload in 2014, They'll be all good. Pau and Kobe can come back next year on 10 mil per contract type of deals, get Lebron, get a lottery pick, and go HAM

He'd still be getting paid by LA, Kobe could take the vet minimum with a contender and still earn $30 million. You don't think Kobe would love to play for Chicago or such and try to win another title with the limited time he has left? You amnesty Kobe and by the time he's ready to play, he'll be on some contender. I don't think LA's ownership would ever want to see that. I mean fuck, what if he signed with the Clippers for a year to win a title?

giri

FYI i'm pretty sure if you amnesty a player there's like a 2 year wait before you can ever re-sign them. Kobe would be like 40 by then.

Nelo Ice

Banned
FYI i'm pretty sure if you amnesty a player there's like a 2 year wait before you can ever re-sign them. Kobe would be like 40 by then.

It's only for the duration of the contract. So if Kobe were amnestied then the Lakers wouldn't be able to resign him until his current contract is up and with their cap situation it would be at the vets minimum in the 2014 offseason.

It's only for the duration of the contract. So if Kobe were amnestied then the Lakers wouldn't be able to resign him until his current contract is up and with their cap situation it would be at the vets minimum in the 2014 offseason.

And if they can only offer him the vets minimum, what's to keep Kobe in LA after he's been amnestied? He has better chances of winning a ring elsewhere.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I swear to god if you talk about Taj and Booz again I will do something horrible..

linsivvi

Either through luxury tax or revenue sharing the Lakers will need to share the money with the other teams anyway. Absolutely no sense to amnesty Kobe.

Also fuck that noise of pleasing Dwight by surrounding him with shooters. They didn't ruin the 2014 cap situation after all the crazy trades last summer and they are now going to ruin it by signing a bunch of mediocre shooters?

Just let him go.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
So Lakers age plan is to amnesty Kobe... Tank.... Get a prime draft pick (Wiggins, jabari, randle, etc).... ???..... then re-sign Kobe for a vet min contract.... In order to Win a championship

Well that seems like a well thought out reasonable plan.... For Morey to tell Dwight in his pitch for him to go to Houston...

shira

So Lakers age plan is to amnesty Kobe... Tank.... Get a prime draft pick (Wiggins, jabari, randle, etc).... ???..... then re-sign Kobe for a vet min contract.... In order to Win a championship

Well that seems like a well thought out reasonable plan.... For Morey to tell Dwight in his pitch for him to go to Houston...
Wiggins et al. aren't ready to deliver chips year one. And Kobe grooming his succor is hilarious. Would never happen

I swear to god if you talk about Taj and Booz again I will do something horrible..

Lakers age is spamming about Kobe right as you type that, and you are mad about Taj Gibson talk?

At least it is still funny / humorous, while Lakers age is borderline pathological...

Lakers age is spamming about Kobe right as you type that, and you are mad about Taj Gibson talk?

At least it is still funny / humorous, while Lakers age is borderline pathological...

Neither are funny though. And some of the Kobe talk is actually legitimate (e.g. is the best basketball move to amnesty Kobe, even though everyone knows it isn't happening)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Kobe is a legit aging super star that deserves to be talked about..

all this Taj carries Boozers bags shit was cute the first 1500 post or so..

linsivvi

Neither are funny though. And some of the Kobe talk is actually legitimate (e.g. is the best basketball move to amnesty Kobe, even though everyone knows it isn't happening)

When Knicks age repeatedly equate Vaggy to Lakers age, you know they are getting desperate.

It is somewhat understandable given what happened in the past 2 days. They need to deflect the attention.

There's no going back. It's done. I'll see you guys at the Barclays.

WE COMIN FOR DAT ASS DOLAN.
This Knicks/Nets stuff is cute. Knowing that none of these moves makes you actual contenders, so you're left scrapping over who's the best in NYC and who has the worst management.

Top Bottom