• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

yall sign Al (and too an lesser extent Tyler) and you will fuck up your tank.

The Bobcats awful bigs were the fuel. I mean they made Lavoy Allen look like god. Plus any big that isn't braindead in the east scoring wise will look good.

the Tank will die man.

The Bobcats were a -9.2 team last year. Even going under the assumption that Mullens was the worst player in the NBA, it seems extremely unlikely they'll improve by more than 5 points (which is a gigantic difference) by replacing Mullens with Al and that would still put them under 30 wins. They'd still probably be a 24-28 win team with Al unless MKG improves a lot next year and I think he's another year away.

PBY

Banned
"Draft picks are important even to heavy spenders. They are the reason, after all, the Knicks and Nets were able to pull off the deals they did last week. Without draft picks, the big spenders are reduced to exchanging one shitty contract for another, and you can ask Isiah Thomas how that worked out in New York. And one last side note: The Knicks need to create some Bat Signal–style spotlight for any-time Bargnani and Amar’e Stoudemire are on the floor together. Maybe it’s a silhouette of another player dunking. Maybe they can just shoot a flame from the top of Madison Square Garden. Maybe the MSG Network can broadcast some emergency signal alerting all New York residents to turn the channel immediately in the event Bargs and Amar’e pair up. But we need to mark these moments in real time.)"

Wow lmao.
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...bucks-make-us-sad-and-more-in-nba-free-agency

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 18m RT @ESPNNBA: Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Danny Green and now Manu Ginobili all have contracts that expire following 2014-15 season

And then Tiago will be an expiring contract as well. So we'd be able to go after free agents/tank with Kawhi as our go to player. I wonder how long TP wants to play in the league.

So has anyone commented that pulling a FA offer like the Kings did is very unprofessional and basically.. clown shoes?

Me, Samurai, and Giri were talking about it earlier today. Really surprising that the Kings did it. I don't think any big name FA would even consider going to Sac this offseason. I don't know what Vivek and Pete were thinking when they pulled the offer as fast as they did.

Also:

Ailene Voisin ‏@ailene_voisin 6h
Sources confirm Kings offer to Iguodala was 4 years, $52 million. Kings withdrew bid when Iguodala wavered about joining rebuilding team

Emwitus

"Draft picks are important even to heavy spenders. They are the reason, after all, the Knicks and Nets were able to pull off the deals they did last week. Without draft picks, the big spenders are reduced to exchanging one shitty contract for another, and you can ask Isiah Thomas how that worked out in New York. And one last side note: The Knicks need to create some Bat Signal–style spotlight for any-time Bargnani and Amar’e Stoudemire are on the floor together. Maybe it’s a silhouette of another player dunking. Maybe they can just shoot a flame from the top of Madison Square Garden. Maybe the MSG Network can broadcast some emergency signal alerting all New York residents to turn the channel immediately in the event Bargs and Amar’e pair up. But we need to mark these moments in real time.)"

Wow lmao.
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...bucks-make-us-sad-and-more-in-nba-free-agency

Bahahaa

The Bobcats were a -9.2 team last year. Even going under the assumption that Mullens was the worst player in the NBA, it seems extremely unlikely they'll improve by more than 5 points (which is a gigantic difference) by replacing Mullens with Al and that would still put them under 30 wins. They'd still probably be a 24-28 win team with Al unless MKG improves a lot next year and I think he's another year away.

Adding Zeller and Jefferson in place of Mullens and Haywood would likely propel our point differential up 2 or 3 just by itself. Combine that with the improvement of MKG and Biyombo and we could easily bump that up to 5 or 6. We're sitting at around 30 wins then and that isn't going to get it done this year. We'd likely be 6th or 7th in the lottery standings.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I learned so much about basketball last year by watching a team try to play without any bigs whatsoever.

Essentially 3 people could guard the entire team because of how fundamentally broken we were.

By adding anyone to the inside, the team changes dramatically. Shit, Dunlap didn't even bother telling guys to play defense outside of hoping to force turnovers. There was no point. We couldn't guard anyone and we couldn't sustain any offense.

Anyone else super excited for Summer League?

Like more than they should be?

I was super excited to see Kanter and Gobert play together, but Kanter's out :(

Hopefully Gobert doesn't get dunked on too much.

Adding Zeller and Jefferson in place of Mullens and Haywood would likely propel our point differential up 2 or 3 just by itself. Combine that with the improvement of MKG and Biyombo and we could easily bump that up to 5 or 6. We're sitting at around 30 wins then and that isn't going to get it done this year. We'd likely be 5th or 6th in the lottery standings.

I like Zeller a good bit long-term, but rookies almost never help teams win that much and Zeller in particular has to completely change up his game from college I think.

Kemba
Hendo
MKG
Zeller
Al

Is still a league-bottom defense that lacks the shooting to be an above-average offense. I think the Bobcats are bad enough to add a solid player and still be in the range for Wiggins and Randle since I don't think MKG or Zeller will break out and start helping a lot until the 2014-2015 season. However, Al would a poor guy to target since he limits your ceiling so much.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I don't think I've ever seen a cancer worse than Mullens.

Dude made Maggette look like Roosevelt

Bread

Banned
Anyone else super excited for Summer League?

Like more than they should be?
Not super excited, but it should be interesting to see Olynyk playing against better competition. I'm skeptical that he's going to turn into anything, but I have some trust in the GAF-scouts, so I'll stay open to him.

dvdjamm

It’s the the little details that makes sports video games so realistic. It started with the players hair and accessories, signature moves, arena fixtures, then the tattoos, mascots, coaches, staff and cheerleaders. Players idiosyncrasies started showing up more from how they shoot their free throws to how they celebrate.

One of the most popular celebrations of the past season belongs to the Golden State Warriors lead by Kent Bazemore’s trademark “Blake Griffin just shot a 3 pointer” stance. Since NBA2k takes a lot of pride in the details of their franchise, when it came time to do motion capture for dunkers they brought in many of the world’s best dunkers and when it came time to do motion capture for celebrations they brought in Kent Bazemore!

http://ballislife.com/nba2k-kent-bazemore-celebration/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Im2o2AY8IAM

I learned so much about basketball last year by watching a team try to play without any bigs whatsoever.

Essentially 3 people could guard the entire team because of how fundamentally broken we were.

By adding anyone to the inside, the team changes dramatically. Shit, Dunlap didn't even bother telling guys to play defense outside of hoping to force turnovers. There was no point. We couldn't guard anyone and we couldn't sustain any offense.

Agreed, most people have no idea just how bad our frontcourt was last year.

I like Zeller a good bit long-term, but rookies almost never help teams win that much and Zeller in particular has to completely change up his game from college I think.

Kemba
Hendo
MKG
Zeller
Al

Is still a league-bottom defense that lacks the shooting to be an above-average offense. I think the Bobcats are bad enough to add a solid player and still be in the range for Wiggins and Randle since I don't think MKG or Zeller will break out and start helping a lot until the 2014-2015 season. However, Al would a poor guy to target since he limits your ceiling so much.

Addition by subtraction is what I'm trying to point out. Zeller and Jefferson wouldn't exactly be an above average duo, but they are a huge improvement over the terrible Mullens and limited Haywood. Enough to make us a much better team anyway, and in a year where the tank competition is ramping up it's going to lead to a petty big jump in point differential. Take a look at the rosters of the teams were competing against and tell me I'm wrong.

I would be hyped for the summer league except we almost always bomb hard.

MCW is going to look like complete ass lol.

Agreed, most people have no idea just how bad our frontcourt was last year.

I watched perhaps waaaay more Bobcats games than I should have last year...so I too know.

Mullens almost made me respect Hawes..

almost.

Bowser

Honestly I believe if we sign Al that he and Biyombo would start with Zeller coming off the bench. If we move Biyombo out of the starting line up our defense would get so much worse that I don't think the additional offense from Zeller/Jefferson would outweigh the hit we'd take on our already nonexistant defense.

SamuraiX-

So has anyone commented that pulling a FA offer like the Kings did is very unprofessional and basically.. clown shoes?

Nothing unprofessional or clown shoes about it.

Kings wised up. You don't give $56 million to a guy who is lukewarm about being on your team. They probably expected an answer right away since it's either grabbing Iggy or trying to bring Reke back. They don't want to lose both because of Iggy's pussyfooting.

Iggy brought this upon himself. I heard Nuggets are willing to give him a contract extension now. I honestly hope they don't and no other team around the league gives him his stupid money.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
WojYahooNBA: Portland is a possible destination for center Robin Lopez, with Indiana and others on a short list in pursuit, league sources tell Y!

Honestly I believe if we sign Al that he and Biyombo would start with Zeller coming off the bench. If we move Biyombo out of the starting line up our defense would get so much worse that I don't think the additional offense from Zeller/Jefferson would outweigh the hit we'd take on our already nonexistant defense.

I think they would mix it up depending on matchups, but yeah that would probably be the normal lineup if we sign AL.

Jeff McDonald ‏@JMcDonald_SAEN 21s Manu has won Euro titles, NBA titles, Olympic gold. Scooping Woj on a free agency story might be his greatest accomplishment yet.

LOL. Real talk, I may cry during Timmy and Manu's retirement press conferences in two years :(

SamuraiX-

You don't offer a guy 56 million who is lukewarm about joining your team.

They obviously didn't realize this until Iggy didn't accept the offer right away.

I'm sure players always bullshit teams in meetings and usually the teams would eat that up, but Iggy probably said some things that he clearly wasn't backing up when the offer was finally made.

Andy (Philly)

Why did Noel slip so far? Was the knee more of a concern than we all initially thought?
Chad Ford (1:05 PM)

Doesn't sound like from all the intel I can gather. I've talked to a number of teams that passed on him and none mentioned long-term concerns with the knee. I think they WERE worried about drafting a guy who might not play for them next year. Even the GMs that WANT to be bad next year were worried that their jobs might be in jeopardy if they didn't have their top draft pick for the year. That's the sort of short term thinking that put a lot of these teams in the lottery to begin with.

And this is why your team has never won anything, MJ. You force your guys to draft and coach out of fear.

There's a reason why Utah decided to let Kanter start against us. They knew it would be a good confidence booster for him. And guess what happened? He had a 23/22 game. Kanter is going to be good, but he's not that good yet.

diehard

Fleer
There's a reason why Utah decided to let Kanter start against us. They knew it would be a good confidence booster for him. And guess what happened? He had a 23/22 game. Kanter is going to be good, but he's not that good yet.

I think he mostly started because Al was injured. He only has 2 other games where he played more than 30 mins and he went 18/8 and 18/10 in those games. Obviously he isnt there yet but he improved so much in 1 year.

And this is why your team has never won anything, MJ. You force your guys to draft and coach out of fear.

Yea, still haven't heard any solid evidence of Noels knee being bad other than the Suns redflagging him. Multiple teams' medical staffs checked him out and Dr. Andrews gave him the thumbs up as well, who has too many quality athletes he works with to bother lying about some kid who isn't even a pro yet.

I'm still salty the Wizards passed on him to be honest, it was fucking coward move but I like Porter enough that I'm just going to keep my mouth shut.

SamuraiX-

51Ek8BM.png

Not sure why... you save $19 million and Stuckey, Villanueva are expiring.

Maybe Ujiri thinks he can get a better package for Gay?

Top Bottom