• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

if dwight stayed through this season then the magic would've had a little bit of capspace this year to add a decent free agent. maybe a millsap or iguodala.

the problem is that otis smith would be steering the ship so that means it would've been tyreke evans.

thot nets had that in the bag tho?

also, i dont mind the return of the #pipe. rather i dont know how to feel about it. i hated the dude in the playoffs but i really have no idea who else we can get to replace him.

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard 29s
Jefferson looking for 4-year deal starting at about $15 mill....

HAHAHAHAHA

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard 1m
Al Jefferson spent past day and a half with Bobcats. He wants to see where D12 goes before committing bc Mavs may offer if it loses on D12

Poor Brandiul.

Bread

Banned
every year we hear news about the 2k studios working on some bullshit that adds nothing to the game

i swear this is the last year i buy if they release another buggy mess with "awesome features" like bench and crowd mocap.

wait is that al jefferson wanting that money or richard?

jbug617

Banned
Aldridge reports

Tyreke Evans, per source, gives Pelicans verbal commitment to sign 4 yr, $44 million offer sheet July 10. Kings will have 3 days to match.

Al Jefferson has to wait till Dwight signs before he get his money.

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 2m
Tyreke Evans has given the New Orleans Pelicans a verbal agreement that he'll sign the four-year, $44 million offer sheet, I'm told.ESPN 1st

Long time til we know if Sac matches unless they say it.

Forever

Banned
thot nets had that in the bag tho?

also, i dont mind the return of the #pipe. rather i dont know how to feel about it. i hated the dude in the playoffs but i really have no idea who else we can get to replace him.

JR Smith is the perfect representative of the Knicks franchise.

rando14

4/60 for Al or 5/80 for Wall hmmm

ib0EnDBxLMfn3R.gif

College coaches talk about Stevens to Celtics. Long snippet below from Coach K, but more quotes from Boeheim, Alford, Buzz Williams, uh, Josh Pastner, that dude at The Ohio State, etc.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...react-brad-stevens-move-butler-boston-celtics

But no one has been more effusive in his constant praise of Stevens than Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, the USA Olympic and National Team coach. Krzyzewski was quick to compliment Stevens in the lead-up to the 2010 national title game. Coach K's Blue Devils beat the Bulldogs 61-59 -- in Indianapolis -- in one of the most epic national title games in the last 25 years.

Krzyzewski said he was as surprised as everyone else by the Celtics tabbing Stevens. But he said that's because "Brad is one of the great college coaches. He's an outstanding coach. He's at a time -- he's young -- I can see him wanting to do something different. He's terrific. It's a great hire for the Celtics.''

Krzyzewski said he knows exactly what Stevens was going through since he had to weigh the same decision in 1990 when the late Dave Gavitt approached him about being the head coach of the Celtics. Krzyzewski said no at the time.

"I almost did it with the Celtics,'' said Krzyzewski. "I can understand it.''

A source told ESPN.com on Wednesday night that the Celtics tabbed Stevens as their top choice once Doc Rivers was let out of his contract and essentially traded to the Clippers. The Celtics loved his character and knowledge of the game. His demeanor didn't hurt, either. He has always been extremely even.

He's really smart,'' said Krzyzewski. "His teams play that way. He's just a heckuva of a coach. He has a maturity of an established head coach right away. I just think -- forget about young coaches -- I think he's one of the best coaches. I don't think you could have a better guy. He's smart and he'll adapt. I think he'll do a really good job there.''

Recent college-to-NBA head coaching gigs have been doomed to fail, including Mike Dunlap, who went from being a St. John's assistant to the head coach in Charlotte, Lon Kruger going to Atlanta, Mike Montgomery to Golden State, or Leonard Hamilton to Washington.

But this is the Celtics and Stevens, who has been penciled in for a Hall of Fame ticket after six years by his peers. Krzyzewski isn't worried about the veteran NBA players giving him instant credibility in the locker room and in the huddle.

"He'll have respect,'' said Krzyzewski. "He's accomplished. Players respect success. He's had great success right away. So I don't think he'll have any problem with the players respecting him. They'll respect him. They respect excellence. He has it. It's a terrific hire. I'm a friend of his and I wish him the very best and I'll be pulling for him. To take over one of the most storied franchises in sports in an incredible opportunity. I can understand him doing it.''

Also, apparently Stevens was the top choice and was first contacted before the draft. (Story updated)

A source with direct knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com's Andy Katz that the Celtics targeted Stevens as soon as the Rivers deal with the Clippers was finalized. The Celtics contacted Stevens a week ago, a day before the NBA draft. The two sides had phone conversations, and the Celtics were waiting for Stevens to say yes. Ainge and the Celtics' ownership group flew to Indianapolis on Wednesday morning for the one and only in-person meeting with Stevens, and he accepted the job there.

Forever

Banned
I like these articles on Stevens.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...vens-to-celtics-a-win-for-everyone-but-butler

Of course there's more to it than that. The Celtics hired a quality X's-and-O's guy, sure, but Stevens is not merely a young dude with some interesting motion sets. For the past five years, he has done something much more impactful: He has helped revolutionize the way coaches see (or should see) themselves in the sport. In a college coaching fraternity filled with stodgy traditions and fuzzy maxims, Stevens has openly embraced advanced analytics and scouting techniques. In a sport where coaches treat their sidelines like theaters of emotive human distress, Stevens stalks coolly.

But Stevens realizes what many NBA franchises are still beginning to grasp: The heart and the head need not be mutually exclusive. Indeed, they're best employed in tandem. For the Celtics, then, Stevens is more than a hot young college coach with a book of killer out-of-bounds plays. He's the way forward.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--b...ton-celtics-college-basketball-234615742.html

He wasn’t into hiring AAU operators who couldn’t coach a lick but would bring along a star player in a package deal. He didn’t turn Butler into a safe haven for recruits who hopscotched from one high school to the next, producing transcripts that looked like ransom notes. He didn’t ask anyone to believe, with a straight face, that impoverished kids with fancy cars and uneducated kids with great grades were perfectly natural occurrences. He didn’t take shortcuts, didn’t game the system, didn’t ask the Butler administration to look the other way while he got things done by any means necessary.

And he still won big. At a place that had no business winning big.

Stevens was the architect. The guiding force. The preternaturally calm guy who had every answer — in the huddles during timeouts, in the press conferences, everywhere. Butler was built on a great foundation of mid-major success, but the biggest reason it rapidly rose from the Horizon League to the Atlantic-10 to the new Big East was the nerdy looking dude on the sidelines.

Seems like a great guy. Looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Top Bottom