• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN
Breaking: The Knicks and J.R. Smith agree to a new deal, Smith's agent, Leon Rose, tells the Daily News.

24.5 over 4 years the last year is a player option so basically 6 a year.... Not bad.

2015 if melo opts out and then back in...your looking at about the 30-35 range (melo, felton, JR, hardaway, rookie, possibly CJ I hear they got him for 2 team options...) on the cap. That wouldn't include shump but re-signing shump could wait until after they get other FA due to using his full bird rights. Knicks could still add 2 old CBA maxes or 3 new CBA maxs resign shump and hell maybe even keep Tyson at a lesser deal due to his bird rights as well....

Great article on the Spurs free agency plan. At first I was a bit taken a back by Manu's 7 million per deal but:

“It's pretty clear what they're doing,” said one league executive who has been building rosters for most of the past 15 seasons. “With these two contracts, they're going to be just under the (projected salary) cap. Then they'll sign back Gary Neal, go just over the cap and, presto! They've qualified for the full mid-level cap exception, a little more than $5 million. That's going to make them a player for some good free agents who will be looking for jobs.”

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/s...ili-Splitter-4646240.php?t=8508a71fdae4660723

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Great article on the Spurs free agency plan. At first I was a bit taken a back by Manu's 7 million per deal but:

“It's pretty clear what they're doing,” said one league executive who has been building rosters for most of the past 15 seasons. “With these two contracts, they're going to be just under the (projected salary) cap. Then they'll sign back Gary Neal, go just over the cap and, presto! They've qualified for the full mid-level cap exception, a little more than $5 million. That's going to make them a player for some good free agents who will be looking for jobs.”

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/s...ili-Splitter-4646240.php?t=8508a71fdae4660723

I wonder who they go after? They could get 2 good players splitting a whole MLE.

LuchaShaq

Banned
If the Tyreke s/t for vasquez/lopez is legit the kings just made their best front office move in a literal decade.

Poor anthony davis, good luck developing an offensive game with those three gaurds and ryno chucking shots non stop.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN
J.R. Smith's four year, $25 million deal reportedly includes a player option after the third year.

If the Tyreke s/t for vasquez/lopez is legit the kings just made their best front office move in a literal decade.

Poor anthony davis, good luck developing an offensive game with those three gaurds and ryno chucking shots non stop.

Is Vasquez a legit PG? Read he just had ankle surgery so I'm a little worried.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Clutchfans forums...

lhgujpT.gif

iUG0TvSrnC25D.gif

charsace

the lakers are not trading howard for Bogut,, Rush, Jefferson.

If they trade Howard to GSW, they're taking back roughly equal salary. With the new CBA, that means an $80 luxury tax to take on 3 expirings they will let walk. Even if they get crappy 1st rounders or Barnes in the deal, why would the Lakers pay $80 million for that?

They'll let him walk and save that cash for the next season. Now if Curry was in the deal, they'd do it, but GSW won't. And if it was Klay + Barnes they'd think about it.

Warriors have zero leverage because the Lakers can easily let Howard walk and it ain't worth $80 mil to get something crappy back.
Lakers don't have more leverage. Getting Bogut and either Klay or Barnes would be great for them and especially Kobe. Kobe would have a big who can anchor the defense and doesn't cry for touches and a wing that will defend, hit the 3, and not demand the ball. The Warriors trade would be perfect for the Lakers. You're crazy if you think the Lakers should be getting both Klay and Barnes or Curry. Seriously off your fucking rocker.

Forever

Banned
Lakers don't have more leverage. Getting Bogut and either Klay or Barnes would be great for them and especially Kobe. Kobe would have a big who can anchor the defense and doesn't cry for touches and a wing that will defend, hit the 3, and not demand the ball. The Warriors trade would be perfect for the Lakers. You're crazy if you think the Lakers should be getting both Klay and Barnes or Curry. Seriously off your fucking rocker.

Lakers fans have been spoiled for a bit too long.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
sam_amick: Per @ailene_voisin report on Kings/NO trade, no deal done but scenario would send Robin Lopez to Portland, Vasquez to Sac, Evans to Pelicans

LuchaShaq

Banned
Is Vasquez a legit PG? Read he just had ankle surgery so I'm a little worried.

Dude averaged 9 apg last season.

He's decently sized and basically average/above average at about everything besides being a great passer/bad defender.

Not going to make an all star team anytime soon but the best pg the Kings have seen since Bibby torching the Lakers.

linsivvi

You are thinking like Dolan.

Dude averaged 9 apg last season.

He's decently sized and basically average/above average at about everything besides being a great passer/bad defender.

Not going to make an all star team anytime soon but the best pg the Kings have seen since Bibby torching the Lakers.

I see. Sucks that he's a bad defender. Hope Malone can improve his defense.

reilo

Not sure the Kings will play any defense for the foreseeable future, so not sure it matters.

Also, I don't know if Demps has any clue about that there's only one basketball and that defense matters. Outside of getting Davis, he's mostly gone after chuckers (Anderson is the only efficient guy) who don't defend and has wildly overpaid to get them. Davis will keep them as a good team that could make some noise for the next six years before he goes to LA or Miami, but this is a really awfully designed roster.

Explain to me why you think the Laker would take on salary if Dwight walks?

Or why they would trade him (essentially the only way he can get there) in division and thereby help a walking superstar?

Again, this isn't 2004 with Shaq.

Lakers don't need to get pieces back at this point and certainly not Andrew Bogut.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I see. Sucks that he's a bad defender. Hope Malone can improve his defense.

I'd call him a willing defender, I mean he isn't nearly as bad as say Nash/Kyrie/Collison.

He just literally does not have the foot speed to deal with pgs with elite speed.

He played D on alot of shooter type wings and was generally solid chasing the ray allens and curry's of the world off screens.

Because Barnes or Thompson would instantly be the lakers 2nd best player after pau? Much better than jack shit.

#pipesanity continues in new york. im cool with it

Jared Zwerling ‏@JaredZwerling 2m
BREAKING: Pablo Prigioni will return to the #Knicks, per his agent.

pabloooo!

linsivvi

Explain to me why you think the Laker would take on salary if Dwight walks?

Or why they would trade him (essentially the only way he can get there) in division and thereby help a walking superstar?

Again, this isn't 2004 with Shaq.

Lakers don't need to get pieces back at this point and certainly not Andrew Bogut.

Like I said, he's thinking like Dolan.

Also, I don't know if Demps has any clue about that there's only one basketball and that defense matters. Outside of getting Davis, he's mostly gone after chuckers (Anderson is the only efficient guy) who don't defend and has wildly overpaid to get them. Davis will keep them as a good team that could make some noise for the next six years before he goes to LA or Miami, but this is a really awfully designed roster.

Jrue isn't really a chucker. He just kinda had to for us.

Evans and Him don't mesh tho...just like he and Turner didn't mesh...except Reke is actually good so it matters more now.

Pretty sure the Lakers could find a third team to take on Bogut's salary for their cap space (Cleveland would likely do it) with no additional compensation so it would be like choosing between Harrison Barnes on a rookie contract or nothing.

Pretty sure the Lakers could find a third team to take on Bogut's salary for their cap space (Cleveland would likely do it) with no additional compensation so it would be like choosing between Harrison Barnes on a rookie contract or nothing.

We need to keep Cleveland's cap space open so that we can send Pau there for a 2029 2nd round draft pick.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Bargnani has made you lose your mind.

Did you forget the part where you trade him in division and make Golden State a contender?

Again, why would the FO do this?

At least if he walks to Houston, you didn't help him get there.

I don't think the Lakers do that trade with GS for two reasons. 1) they will be stubborn and basically call Dwight's bluff. They know if GS is his idea destination, he can't get there unless they make it happen. 2) deep down I think the Lakers FO knows that with or without Dwight, they are rebuilding next season. The only difference is that without Dwight, we bottom out and get a lottery pick. With Dwight, we contend for the 8th seed. Both options involve shedding a ton of salary and rebuilding in 2014. I think if Dwight wants to leave they would rather just bottom out and try for a top 5 draft pick than take back Klay Green.

ISOM

Did you forget the part where you trade him in division and make Golden State a contender?

Again, why would the FO do this?

At least if he walks to Houston, you didn't help him get there.

The lakers should take the deal if gsw includes klay or barnes. One of those two are young all star potential players that will help the lakers rebuild if dwight leaves.

If Pete amnesties Salmons while he's at it, he's a damn hero.

Wouldn't mind grabbing AK47 or Dorell Wright. Not many names left on the market. Hope we resign James Johnson too.

AK would be great for the right price.

Also, will the Kings get another player from Portland? Who are the Blazers moving?

The lakers should take the deal if gsw includes klay or barnes. One of those two are young all star potential players that will help the lakers rebuild if dwight leaves.

You don't want that if you're the Lakers.

Not for a Barnes or Thompson.

Neither of those cats are worth sending Dwight to form a nucleus of Curry/Howard/Lee.

In your backyard, especially with the Clips doing well now.

Again, if he walks to Houston you didn't help him get there.

reilo

The Warriors with a core of Dwight would be young as shit, too. They could easily compete for 5+ years (in theory) and be a roadblock.

reilo

Even if Lopez isn't that good of a defender, I like that front-line of Aldridge, Robinson, Lopez, Leonard, and Withey.

That's some talent and a lot of big bodies. Collectively, one of them must play some defense, right?

Top Bottom