• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
zadExqx.png

DY, listen, it's gonna be ok, man...

IT'S GONNA BE OK!
But I thought the Cats were planning to going on with a full tank in order to get Wiggins!?

thekad

Banned
David West was given that money by a team one game away from the NBA finals and who already have an All-NBA player on their team. Not the worst team of the last three years. Also, David West is better.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
No. I'm talking about how you're saying that the only guys worth drafting are the big names when your franchise PG came from basically nowhere.

But we all know Lillard is 1 in a 100 these days. So I'm not sure what your point is. Isn't the safer strategy to go after guys like Wiggins or Parker?

Next year's class is deep - but if we can take advantage of the fact that most teams are swinging for the fences for the most epic tank, then we can take advantage of that. So far that seems to be Cho's plan.

And there are much, much worse ways to spend money. Hell, David West was just signed for 12 mil/yr. Al Jeff wanted 15 mil per for 4 years. I think we did a little better than alright.

The problem is that the Bobcats still lack a franchise-tier player. How are you going to acquire him if not with a Top 5 pick? The East is so bad that the Bucks got into the playoffs with 37-wins.

Do you want to be the Bucks?

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I'm alright with the Hornets signing Jefferson. You can't just continue to be terrible and hope you get lucky in the lottery one day. That's not a plan. At least Jefferson has value, as a player for them or as an asset.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The problem is that the Bobcats still lack a franchise-tier player. How are you going to acquire him if not with a Top 5 pick? The East is so bad that the Bucks got into the playoffs with 37-wins.

Do you want to be the Bucks?

The Bucks worked for 3 years to get to the playoffs and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Shipped away talent, brought in cancers, brought on a boatload of dumb salaries.

Clearly, its the same thing.

Clearly.
The Cats are going to suck even with Al Jeff though.

Will just suck more expensively.
But its not hamstringing our growth at all.

We still got all our young guys - now they don't have to play a broken form of basketball with no bigs whatsoever. Also, we don't have to worry about MKG killing himself anymore so he won't be yanked from games whenever he stops hiding his power level.
David West was given that money by a team one game away from the NBA finals and who already have an All-NBA player on their team. Not the worst team of the last three years. Also, David West is better.

lmao

Dude is young Haslem with big boy pants

Truphenom

I'm alright with the Hornets signing Jefferson. You can't just continue to be terrible and hope you get lucky in the lottery one day. That's not a plan. At least Jefferson has value, as a player for them or as an asset.

Still gotta get used to the Pelicans and Hornets name changes. This post confused me at first lol.

DY_nasty

This is the second time I've heard of MJ 'threatening' Cho over last year or something. Is there a link on that?
Tyson Chandler

Tyrus Thomas, Byron Mullens, Boris Diaw

Al Jefferson, Brendan Haywood

Tyson Chandler was brought in to get rid of Okafor's regressing ass and bloated contract. Mullens was acquired for nothing. Diaw was a very good player (ask the Knicks) and was fine as a complimentary piece on a playoff team - which we were not after we went into rebuilding mode and traded away Jackson (out the league), Felton (fat), and Crash (soulless). Tyrus Thomas was a gamble that did not pay off BUT it was more of Larry Brown's move than anyone else. Much like trading up for Ajinca.

All of these moves were made with Bob Johnson at the helm or at the very least headed by Larry Brown or Rod Higgins.

All of them have been undone by Cho in less than 3 years.

Also, replacing Tyrus with Jefferson as our salary floor is bad... how? And Haywood doesn't even get paid as far as I can tell.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo
Al Jefferson was one of 13 NBA players to average 10+ points in the paint last season. Bobcats finished 24th in paint scoring.

Edit:
Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN
Finally, the stats rookie makes sense. RT@HerringWSJ: Melo hit 43% of postseason 3s while playing w Pablo -- hit just 26% of them w/o him.

Wow.

reilo

This is the second time I've heard of MJ 'threatening' Cho over last year or something. Is there a link on that?

Tyson Chandler was brought in to get rid of Okafor's regressing ass and bloated contract. Mullens was acquired for nothing. Diaw was a very good player (ask the Knicks) and was fine as a complimentary piece on a playoff team - which we were not after we went into rebuilding mode and traded away Jackson (out the league), Felton (fat), and Crash (soulless). Tyrus Thomas was a gamble that did not pay off BUT it was more of Larry Brown's move than anyone else. Much like trading up for Ajinca.

All of these moves were made with Bob Johnson at the helm or at the very least headed by Larry Brown or Rod Higgins.

All of them have been undone by Cho in less than 3 years.

Also, replacing Tyrus with Jefferson as our salary floor is bad... how? And Haywood doesn't even get paid as far as I can tell.

Chandler was flipped for Erick Dampier, which was turned into... uhm?

Hayward gets paid a back-loaded $10.5mil in 2015. Although it might be unguaranteed, not sure.

Tyrus Thomas being signed to that stupid contract to begin with is terrible enough, and now they have to amnesty him to sign Al Jefferson? At least they're not paying tax on it, I guess.

Oh, I forgot Ben Gordon. How did I forget Ben Gordon's awful contract?

All of these moves were made with Michael Jordan at the helm.

DY_nasty

Chandler was flipped for Erick Dampier, which was turned into... uhm?
Nothing. Which was better than paying Okafor to actively get worse every year.
Hayward gets paid a back-loaded $10.5mil in 2015. Although it might be unguaranteed, not sure.
The Mavs pay that. We got him off the amnesty if you forgot.
Tyrus Thomas being signed to that stupid contract to begin with is terrible enough, and now they have to amnesty him to sign Al Jefferson? At least they're not paying tax on it, I guess.
Well, we could've stuck to our guns with Flip Murray and Larry Hughes. There's that I guess.
Oh, I forgot Ben Gordon. How did I forget Ben Gordon's awful contract?
Its almost like we didn't trade Corey Maggette's contract to get BG (who's currently an expiring) and a 1st round pick from a team that's trying to trade for Rudy Gay. Btw - we got all of this by dropping off Stephen Jackson's 'untradeable' contract 2 years ago for essentially two lottery picks and a bargaining chip every other year.
All of these moves were made with Michael Jordan at the helm.
And if we did NOT do these things we'd have

Felton
Jax
Wallace
Diaw
Chandler

Still trying to make a playoff push.

I'm not tracking what the issue is here at all.
I guess, but $13mil/yr? Eek. And as said, that Detroit pick is heavily protected.
Salary floor.

Its only 1 mil more than what David West got too. A 28 year old center who's close to putting up 20/10 that immediately fixes the biggest problems that the team has had since ever.

:|

Forever

Banned
Peter Vecsey ✔ @PeterVecsey1
Nets now focused on signing Bogandovic. Contrary to reports(wishful thinking?) BK never targeted Marco or Barnes

Guess this was the obvious move now that Korver is gettin PAID.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I guess, but $13mil/yr? Eek. And as said, that Detroit pick is heavily protected.

Yeah, but picks are picks. It's top 8 this year, Top 1 next year, so they'll get that. At the least, it's another asset. They can trade it, use it, whatever.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Can't believe people think Al Jefferson is better than David West.

One guy plays defense and the other doesn't.

I'm just glad the Bobcats are trying to win more games than the Magic this year. I hope they succeed although I have my doubts.

charsace

You are thinking like Dolan.

Explain to me why you think the Laker would take on salary if Dwight walks?

Or why they would trade him (essentially the only way he can get there) in division and thereby help a walking superstar?

Again, this isn't 2004 with Shaq.

Lakers don't need to get pieces back at this point and certainly not Andrew Bogut.

Bargnani has made you lose your mind.

Am I the only one that thinks Bogut can play? Bogut is still a monster defender and a smart offensive player. Klay is a lights out shooter and good defender. If Nash is healthy then Nash, Bogut, Klay, Gasol is a group that can hold down the fort until Kobe comes back. And if Kobe comes back fine the Lakers would have a group that can do some damage in the post season. Bogut salary is good for what he brings to the table and Klay is cheap.

The Lakers won't look to start a rebuild until after the 2013-14 season. Bogut is an expiring anyways. The Lakers are already over the cap and that's with Dwight not even signed so why wouldn't they trade for Bogut and keep him through the season? And as a bonus they get a young player to go towards the 2014-15 season and beyond.

Dwight signing with Houston where they have Harden, Chandler Parsons, Lin, and depth would be much worse for the Lakers than the Warriors getting him. The Warriors two best players are injury prone. That alone makes the Warriors a better spot than the Rockets who have 3 young up and coming players, two of which don't have serious injury histories.

Another thing I think the Bobcats screwed up in this is that I don't think any other team really had any interest in him. Most of the teams with cap-space are either focused on advanced metrics, wanted to tank, or already had a lot of big men so I'm not sure who they were bidding against.

DY_nasty

Can't believe people think Al Jefferson is better than David West.

Lets go ahead and have this discussion, NBA-GAF.
Another thing I think the Bobcats screwed up in this is that I don't think any other team really had any interest in him. Most of the teams with cap-space are either focused on advanced metrics, wanted to tank, or already had a lot of big men so I'm not sure who they were bidding against.
Well, he didn't get the 15 mil he wanted or the 4 years so I'm happy with that but I'll be honest... I expected this to not happen until much later in free agency. Either way, its not bad.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
DY were you happy with the old Bobcats tea that peaked with a playoff birth and a first round exit?

I don't know what the point of this signing was. You build a team up through the draft and finding undervalued talent in free agency and trades, overpaying mediocre players means you get stuck in mediocrity. There really isn't a defense for this signing.

And yeah if nobody picks up Tyrus Thomas off waivers then the Bobcats are paying 59.6 million over the next 3 years for Jefferson/Thomas

DY_nasty

DY were you happy with the old Bobcats tea that peaked with a playoff birth and a first round exit?

I don't know what the point of this signing was. You build a team up through the draft and finding undervalued talent in free agency and trades, overpaying mediocre players means you get stuck in mediocrity. There really isn't a defense for this signing.

And yeah if nobody picks up Tyrus Thomas off waivers then the Bobcats are paying 59.6 million over the next 3 years for Jefferson/Thomas
I'm not sure you all understand how salary floors work.

You have to pay someone these days. Right now, our books are tied to two guys mainly. Al Jefferson, 18/8, 28 years old, only a 3 year deal. And Ben Gordon, expires next year - he leaves at the end of the season, one way or another and we have that money to sign someone next year too. All the while, we've still got our young guys. The best thing about the 3 year deal is that allows us to sign those same young guys along with whoever else right when we need to in order to establish a direction going forward.

This is not signing Hedo Turkoglu for 50 million or anything close to it. This is transitioning while maintaining flexibility. We're not losing anything by doing this at all.

I hope this year when half the teams in the league tank and turn the product into shit the NBA reconsiders the draft. Just get rid of it. Limit the rookies to smaller contracts but let them sign with any team with cap space.

reilo

I hope this year when half the teams in the league tank and turn the product into shit the NBA reconsiders the draft. Just get rid of it. Limit the rookies to smaller contracts but let them sign with any team with cap space.

Ah, Lakers-age in rebuilding mode is hilarious.

Let us not forget the shit show that was Free Agency Summer of 2010. Obviously that is the way to go /rolleyes

LuchaShaq

Banned

In the NBA if you are not a big market team, the best strategy is absolutely get lucky in the lottery and draft well.

Being the 7th-10th best team in a conference is the WORST place to be in the NBA.

Problem is that CHA seems incapable of drafting well/developing young guys.

All that said as much as I like Jefferson he won't make enough of an impact to fuck the tank because he is a defensive mess.

Ah, Lakers-age in rebuilding mode is hilarious.

I honestly believe this, it's not a Laker thing, hell the Lakers never have cap space anyway. I think the NBA is different than the NFL and MLB. Hoarding talent in those leagues lets you slowly rebuild, and, for the most part with few exceptions, teams in those leagues are not going to tank an entire season for one single player. The NBA is too star/single player centric. One single great player can be the difference between a 20 win last place team and a 60 win first place team, so teams will purposely suck for a year or more just to get their hands on those teams.

It also avoids shitty organizations from hoarding good young talent. The draft sucks. It's a prize for being a shitty run organization. In the least, I'd propose a rule where if you are in the lottery 3 years in a row you lose your first round draft pick.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 4m
San Antonio is engaged in serious talks with free agent Marco Belinelli, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Hmm. I think that could be a pretty good pick up for us.

LuchaShaq

Banned
It also avoids shitty organizations from hoarding good young talent. The draft sucks. It's a prize for being a shitty run organization. In the least, I'd propose a rule where if you are in the lottery 3 years in a row you lose your first round draft pick.

Or if you're in the lottery 3 years in a row you get the last pick in the lottery with no ping pong balls for the top 3.

I would actually love that.

No draft would be insane though it would just be nuts.

Or if you're in the lottery 3 years in a row you get the last pick in the lottery with no ping pong balls for the top 3.

I would actually love that.

No draft would be insane though it would just be nuts.

I think that would actually be a pretty good compromise. Each year you're in the lottery you get an automatic deduction from the possibility of getting the first pick until you finally are just pushed out of the lottery back end. Good idea. Lets teams get young players, but not stay there forever.

reilo

If Portland gets Lopez, they would have gotten Thomas Robinson and Lopez for a total of 2 2nd rounders.

What the hell are the Cavs doing giving out $4.5mil contracts to trash like Earl Clark?

Top Bottom