• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

Who is the Lakers backup center if Howard walks?

Pau....Jordan Hill?

Bogut is better than Jordan Hill.

Harrison Barnes is Better than any swing guy the Lakers have NOT called Kobe Bryant.

Lakers can scoff all they want. A trade of Bogut + Barnes for Dwight makes them better than simply letting Dwight walk. PERIOD.

And Bogut would come off the books next season.

But the Lakers have to pay $80 million to make that deal. Do you not understand that? Would you, as a team owner, pay $80 million for Barnes + Bogut? Because that is what you're saying. I's rather they tank and get a high draft pick in a powerhouse draft than do that.

Now, if it's Klay AND Barnes, especially if Bogut can be unloaded somewhere else, then definitely do it.

Remember, Lakers no hold the leverage. Howard can't get to Warriors and they can always try and Sign + trade for Asik instead if they choose. If Warriors want Howard, they have to play mostly by Lakers rules now.

linsivvi

But the Lakers have to pay $80 million to make that deal. Do you not understand that? Would you, as a team owner, pay $80 million for Barnes + Bogut? Because that is what you're saying. I's rather they tank and get a high draft pick in a powerhouse draft than do that.

Now, if it's Klay AND Barnes, especially if Bogut can be unloaded somewhere else, then definitely do it.

Remember, Lakers no hold the leverage. Howard can't get to Warriors and they can always try and Sign + trade for Asik instead if they choose. If Warriors want Howard, they have to play mostly by Lakers rules now.

2014 1st round pick from a guaranteed lottery team or bust.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
SBNation NBA ‏@SBNationNBA
Brandon Rush and multiple draft picks, including the Warriors' 2014 first-rounder, are also heading to Utah.

It's hard to tell what they'll do with Jim having the last say. It's scary.

I don't want to have anything to do with Bogut. Klay and Barnes, maybe. They are pieces that can be easily moved.

Why would you want to move Klay and Barnes? They make a combined like $5 million next season and are good players. Those cheap and good players are hard to find. They'd keep their cap room too.

2014 1st round pick from a guaranteed lottery team or bust.

I'd rather have Klay and Barnes than the potential of the 12th pick in the draft...

Klay alone would be as good as any outside the 3.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Lakers have no idea how to tank. They still got too much pride.

I think they make a dumb move to put a product on the floor before they commit to the tank...

There's no way you're getting Klay and Barnes though. Put down the pipe.

I already know the Warriors and Jerry West are smarter than that.

If the Warriors don't do a trade for Dwight they are already better than they were last year.

Bogut, David Lee, Iggy, Klay, Scurry

Bench: Barnes, Green....rook....

Man...the Warriors still need another big.

Lakers have no idea how to tank. They still got too much pride.

I think they make a dumb move to put a product on the floor before they commit to the tank...

They won't pay $80 million extra for it, though.

Like I said, it's what I would do if I were them. But I'd take Klay and Barnes for sure. That's better than tanking.

linsivvi

Why would you want to move Klay and Barnes? They make a combined like $5 million next season and are good players. Those cheap and good players are hard to find. They'd keep their cap room too.

I'd rather have Klay and Barnes than the potential of the 12th pick in the draft...

Klay alone would be as good as any outside the 3.

I'm not sold on Klay. And I mean they can be moved further down the line if necessary.

Perhaps Barnes and a 1st round pick.

Iggy is a top 3 wing defender in the league.

Outside of elite wings he is one of the best handling/passing wings.

This isn't some guy who relies 100% on hustle/athleticism and will be a shell of himself at 32.

uh...yeah he is.

Iggy without his athleticism is Evan Turner

I'm not sold on Klay. And I mean they can be moved further down the line if necessary.

Ah, okay. For me, I rank it like this:

1. Howard stays (lol)

2. trade Howard for Klay + Barnes, Bogut off-loaded somewhere else.

3. let Dwight walk.

I'm not sure how I feel about keeping Bogut for one year. If Klay + Barnes come, they can't tank enough regardless, I'd imagine, with Nash-Klay-Barnes-Hill-Pau until Kobe returns. Also, that team looks good for MDA's offense.

I'd only take just Barnes if Bogut is offloaded somewhere else.

Also, I think MWP is amnestied in every scenario now.

Joseca

Banned
So I'm going to be in USA (Houston) until October 5th, I know the season doesn't start until the last days of the month, but does anyone knows about the pre-season? I'd really like to watch at least one game :(

P.s. First post in NBA-GAF!

linsivvi

Ah, okay. For me, I rank it like this:

1. Howard stays (lol)

2. trade Howard for Klay + Barnes, Bogut off-loaded somewhere else.

3. let Dwight walk.

I'm not sure how I feel about keeping Bogut for one year. If Klay + Barnes come, they can't tank enough regardless, I'd imagine, with Nash-Klay-Barnes-Hill-Pau until Kobe returns. Also, that team looks good for MDA's offense.

I'd only take just Barnes if Bogut is offloaded somewhere else.

Also, I think MWP is amnestied in every scenario now.

We need to tank if Dwight bolts.

I really like this deal. Even if the W's don't land Dwight, the starting 5 is still solid and you now add an elite perimeter defender and solid scorer into the mix. They'll still need a good backup PG and a cheap scrappy big man for depth...All praise Bob Meyers...

And I doubt Lakers hold the cards. Warriors could stand pat with what they have now and still be a strong team.

Why are you even wasting hope on believing you'll get Klay AND Barnes lol

Because the Lakers can say "both or we let him go to Houston."

What can the Warriors do about it?

We need to tank if Dwight bolts.

For Houston/Dallas.

You don't need to tank if you can get Klay and Barnes. Those are better than what you'd expect to get in the tank.

Keep healthy Bogut who's still a top 10 center in the league and laugh at you

nice leverage bro

What do the Lakers care? They'll have massive 2014 cap space and tank by letting Dwight walk.

Bogut is also injury prone as fuck. he couldn't even finish the last playoff game.

Klay and Barnes are first or even second options. Come on.

and Klay alone will probably be better than anyone outside the top 3 in the draft.

If the Lakers have the worst record in the NBA, which they won't, they'd only have a 25% chance at the #1 pick.

Do the math. It's the stupid play. They'd be lucky to be a bottom 4 team regardless of the tank with how teams like Philly, Utah, Boston are looking like.

Would you rather have Klay + Barnes or the 8th pick in the draft?

DY_nasty

What do the Lakers care? They'll have massive 2014 cap space and tank by letting Dwight walk.

Bogut is also injury prone as fuck. he couldn't even finish the last playoff game.

Your leverage is not what you think it is.

Umm, we got killed in this trade. Late firsts are worth $3 million in cash, not $19 million in cap space, what the fuck?

edit: I guess we got Rush as well and he's good. Hopefully there's no protection on that pick, but then I would have to hope for Curry and Bogut to get injured :/

Smokey

So I'm going to be in USA (Houston) until October 5th, I know the season doesn't start until the last days of the month, but does anyone knows about the pre-season? I'd really like to watch at least one game :(

P.s. First post in NBA-GAF!

Become a part of of Rockets Age, I welcome you.

lakers aren't getting anyone good in 2014 free agency with their busted roster, there needs to be a semblance of direction

unless sancha thinks dead kobe is as good as 2010 wade

Iggy is going to be such a great fit in GS...scary. I know they say it doesn't put them out of the picture for Howard, but they'd have to give up some big pieces in a trade to make that work.

linsivvi

and Klay alone will probably be better than anyone outside the top 3 in the draft.

If the Lakers have the worst record in the NBA, which they won't, they'd only have a 25% chance at the #1 pick.

Do the math. It's the stupid play. They'd be lucky to be a bottom 4 team regardless of the tank with how teams like Philly, Utah, Boston are looking like.

Would you rather have Klay + Barnes or the 8th pick in the draft?

Next draft has multiple potential superstars, and those are the players you should build you team around.

You go for broke and hope you can get a star you can build around. Klay and Barnes are just complimentary pieces that will get in the way of getting a potential star.

The Lakers aren't winning shit for the next few seasons regardless. I don't want to be stuck in mediocrity hell.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Couldn't they say "You can have one, or you can watch your franchise center go to Houston and get NOTHING out of it at all?

What do the Lakers care? Golden State is the one who wants him, the Lakers have the leverage.

They'd be better off taking nothing then they would be adding salary and taking Barnes.

Omega

Banned
Lakers don't need to trade. They'll get Wiggins

or do they not even have a pick? if they do, draft will be rigged for sure

Iggy is going to be such a great fit in GS...scary. I know they say it doesn't put them out of the picture for Howard, but they'd have to give up some big pieces in a trade to make that work.

It's a nice move...Howard has said to Houston that they need another quality player. GS goes out and gets him. They have pieces to do a S&T with Lakers and if the Lakers don't want to play ball, then they have a really solid rotation..

What's also crazy is that the Warriors will also have a good amount of cap space in 2014.and will have bird rights for Bogut if they Don't move him this year.

Bogut, DLee, Iggy, Klay and Scurry.

One of the top 4 teams in the west next season.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Umm, we got killed in this trade. Late firsts are worth $3 million in cash, not $19 million in cap space, what the fuck?

edit: I guess we got Rush as well and he's good. Hopefully there's no protection on that pick, but then I would have to hope for Curry and Bogut to get injured :/

WojYahooNBA
Beyond the two first-rounders to the Jazz, Golden State has included future second-round picks in deal too, sources tell Y! Sports.

What's also crazy is that the Warriors will also have a good amount of cap space in 2014.and will have bird rights for Bogut if they Don't move him this year.

Bogut, DLee, Iggy, Klay and Scurry.

One of the top 4 teams in the west next season.

You lost your cap space once you sign Iggy, dude.

DY_nasty

If the Lakers demand both Klay and Barnes and Warriors say no, what happens next, dy?
They continue on with a stacked team and simply give up their homerun scenario for a damned good double.

You get nothing at all. And your roster remains bloated and you have nothing additional gained this year outside of Kobe in his deathbed and Pau turning to ash. You'd waste a year for just one pick.

Basic rule of tanking is to always bring in more than a single asset each year.

GS continues to get better with or without LA. They don't need Dwight as much as LA needs to change direction, gain direction, quickly.

linsivvi

Lakers don't need to trade. They'll get Wiggins

or do they not even have a pick? if they do, draft will be rigged for sure

Of course they do. The whole point was to trade away every year's 1st except the 2014's.

They need to tank.

Shut Kobe down, let Nash go if he wants to chase a ring somewhere else and play Pau with 4 scrubs. Should be fun to watch.

Top Bottom