• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

giri

Well kids get more coverage than ever before from high school

Essentially.

Most teams have cut back on scouts, on the ground, a hell of a lot. Most, to my understanding, gather in all of the available game footage and watch that and selectively scout from there.

Along with the fact that a lot of this is known about the kids from high school, there's years of tape, stats, and interviews.

They obviously do some IRL scouting still. It's just more targeted and focused than it used to be. Most justified it by saying any savings on domestic scouting they'd put into putting international scouts on retainer.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Wait, they have no scouts? What?

They fired all of their scouting staff in August 2009.

I bring this up because the Grizzlies recently decided to let go of their scouts. Yes, all of their scouts.

"I prefer a smaller group," said Chris Wallace, the Grizzlies GM.

You have to love Wallace, don't you? He could have put a positive spin on the yellow fever epidemic.

"I prefer a smaller city," he'd have said.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/aug/02/grizzlies-cutbacks-revealing-priority/

I have accepted my Zeller future....

of course now he will go higher and it will be Plumlee future.

fuck

did you really just paste a yahoo sports mock draft lulz

Givony from draftexpress just posted the bets mock draft I've seen. Its updated based off of the "intel" he's gotten. Awesome part is him changing the Wiz from taking Bennett at 3 to Porter :>
lol dy
. Looking out to see if Chad Ford makes a similar switch.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/

I lol'd at the Pacers getting both Siva and Shane Larkin. Just throw as many picks at point guards as possible for the hope of being able to get a guy that can make a fucking pass into the post.

giri

did you really just paste a yahoo sports mock draft lulz

Givony from draftexpress just posted the bets mock draft I've seen. Its updated based off of the "intel" he's gotten. Awesome part is him changing the Wiz from taking Bennett at 3 to Porter :>
lol dy
. Looking out to see if Chad Ford makes a similar switch.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/

I lol'd at the Pacers getting both Siva and Shane Larkin. Just throw as many picks at point guards as possible for the hope of being able to get a guy that can make a fucking pass into the post.

Some of the pacers post entry problems really aren't PG related :|

That's probably why he wanted Jan Vesely.

sorry.

I went back and read Veselys nbadraft.net profile

They had him rated high 90's as a prospect and compared him to Kirilenko lol

To be fair though, even I thought a worst case scenario (don't get me wrong I didn't want him) was him being a pretty decent backup PF on the defensive end.

The more I think about it wingspan aside he reminds me of Zeller. Zeller is more skilled but they both move the same.

giri

Alright, let's phone this one in.

I'd seriously love to have Afflalo opposite Kirilenko/Budinger on the wing. There's actual defense and shooting there.

He's the ideal candidate along side the others, and he's been around a while now.

Pek, Love, AK, Afflalo, Rubio

With buddinger off the bench.

You could get Pek posting 1v1 all day, cause you can't double off any of those guys. And thats not figuring in what the rest can do.

If Dwight does want to go to GS, the Lakers would most likely get a very nice deal in return. Dwight isn't turning down an extra 30 mil just to sign outright so it would be a S&T. Lakers are already going to have most of their terrible contracts expire after next season and with a D12 trade they'd probably get some nice picks as well as young talent. If I'm L.A., depending on what GS offers, I say do it in a heart beat.

KingGondo

Banned
If Dwight does want to go to GS, the Lakers would most likely get a very nice deal in return. Dwight isn't turning down an extra 30 mil just to sign outright so it would be a S&T. Lakers are already going to have most of their terrible contracts expire after next season and with a D12 trade they'd probably get some nice picks as well as young talent. If I'm L.A., depending on what GS offers, I say do it in a heart beat.
Golden State isn't offering Steph or Klay. Warriors wouldn't even give up Klay for Harden.

Golden State isn't offering Steph or Klay. Warriors wouldn't even give up Klay for Harden.

We're not talking Harden. We're talking Dwight Howard. Although Dwight didn't have the greatest of seasons, he's still an incredibly talented and capable big man in a league where big men are as rare as the Wizards winning a playoff series. Steph is off limits but I can see Klay being included in a deal. Klay, Bogut, an expiring contract, and a few draft picks for Dwight Howard and Steve Nash or Dwight Howard and Meta.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Think we might have another Webber for Penny like draft here because looks like cle wants a SF

We're not talking Harden. We're talking Dwight Howard. Although Dwight didn't have the greatest of seasons, he's still an incredibly talented and capable big man in a league where big men are as rare as the Wizards winning a playoff series. Steph is off limits but I can see Klay being included in a deal. Klay, Bogut, an expiring contract, and a few draft picks for Dwight Howard and Steve Nash or Dwight Howard and Meta.

If GS didn't give up Klay for the Beard, they'd be insane to trade him for Howard.

Your proposed trades read like Lakers can fiction because they are. Ron Artest and Steve Nash's corpse? Really? LOL.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Barnes to replace Metta and draft picks galore? Then they Amnesty Metta. Then they wait/pray for Curry's ankles to go and your talking multiple lottery picks alongside their own lottery picks....

If GS didn't give up Klay for the Beard, they'd be insane to trade him for Howard.

Howard COULD help GS more than Harden would. Also, you have to realize that many folks didn't know Harden would be able to so seamlessly evolve from a six man type of player to the first option and to do so at such a dominating level.

Blackace

Your proposed trades read like Lakers can fiction because they are. Ron Artest and Steve Nash's corpse? Really? LOL.
Howard is gonna beast next year

Blackace

Howard COULD help GS more than Harden would. Also, you have to realize that many folks didn't know Harden would be able to so seamlessly evolve from a six man type of player to the first option and to do so at such a dominating level.
Plus Curry and Howard > Curry and Harden

Plus Curry and Howard > Curry and Harden

Agreed. Dwight just wasn't a good fit in L.A. Both sides tried making it work but it wasn't meant to be. GS has youth, speed, a true PG who can shoot the lights out of the arena, nice supporting cast, and more. If Dwight gets back to full strength, he could be the difference maker. The West is wide open now that Okc gave up Harden.

Blackace

I don't know the Thunder have the 12th pick Caldwell-Pope might fix them right up

Spooks

So according to Calipari, Chris Grant was at Kentucky more than any other GM this past season. Brace yourself Cavs-age. The flat top is coming.

im okay with this

giri

People are nuts thinking GS should give it all up for howard.

If bogut stays healthy, he's on dwights level defensively, and has a back to the basket game. And a better history of not being a fuckhead in the locker room.

It's nice to remember what dwights done, but bogut is his equal, and they already have him.

If bogut stays healthy, he's on dwights level defensively, and has a back to the basket game. And a better history of not being a fuckhead in the locker room.

It's nice to remember what dwights done, but bogut is his equal, and they already have him.

Except Bogut is a career health hazard. Not smart for GS to depend on Bogut staying healthy.

pilonv1

I'd give up Lee, Jefferson & Ezili for Dwight. Play him next to Bogut. Jackson's always motivating speeches are probably what Dwight needs.

Imagine Dwight with all dem shooters...

I wouldn't trade Klay for anyone besides LeBron or Durant.

giri

Except Bogut is a career health hazard. Not smart for GS to depend on Bogut staying healthy.

99% of dwights game is based on his athelticism. And he's now got continuing back problems. Once players like him get that first big injury, they never stop coming. I really wouldn't be surprised to see dwight with knee issues this upcoming season.

He might not. He might get over it. He started to look better at the end of the season. But i'm not hopeful.

I'd give up Lee, Jefferson & Ezili for Dwight. Play him next to Bogut. Jackson's always motivating speeches are probably what Dwight needs.

Imagine Dwight with all dem shooters...

I wouldn't trade Klay for anyone besides LeBron or Durant.

You could, and play dwight as a 4. I think he'd have the sads though about touches and stuff after half a season. He's such a god damn baby. It would be... an interesting offence though. No interior spacing but lots of brilliant shooters.

Also, i'd trade Klay for afflalo.

pilonv1

You could, and play dwight as a 4. I think he'd have the sads though about touches and stuff after half a season. He's such a god damn baby. It would be... an interesting offence though. No interior spacing but lots of brilliant shooters.

He'd get touches. They already run a lot of their offense through Bogut at times, and they could play like the Orlando team that made the finals, get the ball into Dwight to collapse the defenses. The best part is that Landry (if he stayed) would work great off the bench with Dwight. I think Jackson would be the sort of coach he'd like, always motivating him and getting him to buy in.

Biggest issue would be knowing that defenders wouldn't have to close out on both Dwight and Bogut.

Also, i'd trade Klay for afflalo.

Klay is already better than Afflalo, what is this crazyness.

giri

He'd get touches. They already run a lot of their offense through Bogut at times, and they could play like the Orlando team that made the finals, get the ball into Dwight to collapse the defenses. The best part is that Landry (if he stayed) would work great off the bench with Dwight. I think Jackson would be the sort of coach he'd like, always motivating him and getting him to buy in.

Biggest issue would be knowing that defenders wouldn't have to close out on both Dwight and Bogut.

Klay is already better than Afflalo, what is this crazyness.
Uhh bogut is a much better post player than dwight. Dwight would get lees pnr touches.

It's interesting to think about anyway. Shame neither can shoot fts.

And I still remain unconvinced about klay. His post season was nice. But eh. Not all that the hype would have you believe.

Top Bottom