• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

giri

Come on, both are clearly top 5. Top 3 even.

There were 3 C's playing the conference semi's better than dwight if not 4 bigs playing better. So no. Dwights not top 3. Maybe top 5, but more realistically, top 10 after last season. Especially as he still isn't fully back from that injury.

Hell, i'm very unconvinced he's better than Bogut.

Maybe that's the pessimist in me. But /shrug

Harden though... yeah, he could be top 3. Easily.

Team sounds so much like a shittier version of the grizzlies + Harden.

Sounds like a better balanced heat/OKC mashup tbh. Just throw raw talent at a wall and hope it sticks.

Team sounds so much like a shittier version of the grizzlies + Harden.

I don't really see how they compare. The Grizz actually try to execute an offense with their bigs and are capable of scoring in a variety of ways and Conley isn't a great shot creator.

The Rockets lineup I mentioned with Rondo would be significantly better athletically, have much higher defensive upside, and while inferior in terms of offensive ability--would likely score more points anyway due to significantly higher free throw rate.

Basically they'd score ugly because they are always just marching to the line or getting out in transition via their defense. They'd be better than the grizz by a wide margin imo.

linsivvi

There were 3 C's playing the conference semi's better than dwight if not 4 bigs playing better. So no. Dwights not top 3. Maybe top 5, but more realistically, top 10 after last season. Especially as he still isn't fully back from that injury.

Hell, i'm very unconvinced he's better than Bogut.

Maybe that's the pessimist in me. But /shrug

Harden though... yeah, he could be top 3. Easily.

I think he'll be better than last season, but maybe not to his DPOY level.

I try not to be too pessimistic to avoid being called salty. :p

Not sure if his free throw level can go back to 60% though. He seems mentally fucked in that department.

I don't think people realize how much playing in LA fucked Dwights head mentally. He wasn't having fun, was getting shit on and made to play while not being able to feel his feet, Kobe was Kobe...

He's probably going to return to form in Houston based on the atmosphere alone.

Smokey I see you though Ima find a way to tap that ass with my Wiz even it kills me.

giri

. They'd be better than the grizz by a wide margin imo.

Well, no. And there's a good /even chance THAT team loses to the grizz in a play off series. But they're not really similar in makeup/play style.I really wouldn't want to put money on either of those teams (i'd probably take the rockets, because of harden, but who knows if the grizz can pull off a trade [grizz need durant!])

I think he'll be better than last season, but maybe not to his DPOY level.

I try not to be too pessimistic to avoid being called salty. :p

Not sure if his free throw level can go back to 60% though. He seems mentally fucked in that department.

Same goes for rondo, but yeah, both seem to have a mental block at the line. I mean it took Shaq YEARS to get back to shooting anything near respectable. And Grant Hill basically had to act as his shrink.

As for better than last season... I dunno, seeing how he finished the season... That back injury seemed to have messed him up. I can't blame the rockets for the gamble. But that injury made dwight regress in SO many areas last year. What post moves he had were very mechanical/robot like and stiff. There was little touch. He wasn't sprinting down the floor fighting for early position anymore.

Some of that might have been playing in a different system and him getting discouraged, but i dunno, he looked very far away from Orlando Dwight. And i'm really only trying to pay attention to the post all-star Dwight.

I don't really see how they compare. The Grizz actually try to execute an offense with their bigs and are capable of scoring in a variety of ways and Conley isn't a great shot creator.

The Rockets lineup I mentioned with Rondo would be significantly better athletically, have much higher defensive upside, and while inferior in terms of offensive ability--would likely score more points anyway due to significantly higher free throw rate.

Basically they'd score ugly because they are always just marching to the line or getting out in transition via their defense. They'd be better than the grizz by a wide margin imo.
That rockets team would be setup the same way as the Grizz. Two Allstar bigs that would make far too much to not have the ball go thru them, only alot worse skill wise and probably alot dumber thanks to smith. People also seem to forget that the Grizz were a top 3 defense this year.

Rondo/Harden adds another dimension sure but they don't put them over the top. There's no way that team consistently beats a WCF team. Two bigs with mediocre offense who would have zero spacing and one ok shooter to pass out to would get eaten alive out west. That team is worse than the Lakers on paper by a wide margin. I'm not sure they are Pacers good, if I'm Rondo, I do everything I can to get to Indy.

Smokey

The only reason I'm not against Rondo being on this team is because it would mean Lin is gone. But if Rondo and Smith were to join this team we would make Grizzlies basketball look pretty.

If you have Josh and Dwight the last pg you'd want is Rondo. He can't shoot so you could slack off of him and onto Harden or swipe at D12 in the post for tons of TOs and your FT % would be atrocious. And his perimeter D is overrated.

Into

Yep it seems silly to go after Rondo who cannot shoot well, which in turns either makes Harden force it, or Smith start chucking.

A PG who can shoot well would really space the floor for this Rockets team, Rondo is opposite.

Plus the dude clearly has a attitude problem, despite him delivering some truly outstanding performances in the past, i would not want Rondo in my team even if i was the Bobcats.

giri

If you have Josh and Dwight the last pg you'd want is Rondo. He can't shoot so you could slack off of him and onto Harden or swipe at D12 in the post for tons of TOs and your FT % would be atrocious. And his perimeter D is overrated.

I don't think anyone disagrees, but from the rockets FO POV, they can already do that with Lin, so they may as well get a better defender / passer.

It's an upgrade. In area's that aren't really what they need maybe, but an upgrade.

Now if they had dragic as their starting pg....

I don't think anyone disagrees, but from the rockets FO POV, they can already do that with Lin, so they may as well get a better defender / passer.

It's an upgrade. In area's that aren't really what they need maybe, but an upgrade.

Now if they had dragic as their starting pg....

That locker room with Dwight and Rondo could get ugly quick as hell too, plus McHale...

Lots of reasons to stay away from Rajon. Dragic would be a pretty nice fit I agree.

Cloudy

Banned
I know everyone hates Dwight, but at least he did not go with the money and stayed with the decaying and poor Lakers, he chose the team that had the best chance of actually winning stuff in the next couple of years.

Maybe Lakers can go after Bynum? Why the hell not? Then you can have a new rivalry between Houston and Lakers

He nets more money in Houston due to taxes. Not saying he did it for the money (Houston has a much better roster) but enough of this "left money on the table" crap

Meier

The Lakers losing D12 is one of the feel good stories of all time in the NBA. If somehow the Spurs hasn't fucking blown it this season would have been just about perfect. Well, except my team being a piece of shit and all that.

Yep it seems silly to go after Rondo who cannot shoot well, which in turns either makes Harden force it, or Smith start chucking.

A PG who can shoot well would really space the floor for this Rockets team, Rondo is opposite.

Plus the dude clearly has a attitude problem, despite him delivering some truly outstanding performances in the past, i would not want Rondo in my team even if i was the Bobcats.

Staying away from attitude problems but sighing Dwight and looking at Smith?

And there are a few teams who who would contend with rondo. Indy would probably be a top 3 squad.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Mavs' post-Dwight interest in Bynum is legit. They ARE pursuing him. Yet it's been made clear they'll make detailed/careful evaluation first.

Emwitus

If bynum could stay healthy id rather we gamble on him. Every laker fan could see Dwight leaving la the moment he started clashing with Kobe

a healthy, mentally engaged dwight can have a greater defensive impact on the game than anyone. Dude is a childish fool, but his performances last season should get an asterisk.
His insistence on posting up is a problem tho, dude is a turnover machine in the low block and pretty average there anyway when he cant dunk. Will he bitch and whine about low post "touches" in Houston?

jjasper

OKC's demise is being greatly exaggerated.

That was more a swipe at Fisher than the Thunder but really I am not exaggerating anything. You will have a good regular season probably still finish 1 or 2 in the west because none of the other top west teams are in your division. Your roster though as currently constructed has no chance to win anything.

pilonv1

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Mavs' post-Dwight interest in Bynum is legit. They ARE pursuing him. Yet it's been made clear they'll make detailed/careful evaluation first.

Bynum & Dirk is horrible. Probably lucky that Brandy is banned

KingGondo

Banned
That was more a swipe at Fisher than the Thunder but really I am not exaggerating anything. You will have a good regular season probably still finish 1 or 2 in the west because none of the other top west teams are in your division. Your roster though as currently constructed has no chance to win anything.
That's ridiculous. No chance to win anything with 2 guys like Durant and Westbrook, and a good supporting cast of role players?

You beat us with YNB hurt and all of a sudden our championship window is over. Just like GSW are suddenly a contender because they beat an overrated Nuggets team in one series?

giri

That locker room with Dwight and Rondo could get ugly quick as hell too, plus McHale...

Lots of reasons to stay away from Rajon. Dragic would be a pretty nice fit I agree.

Staying away from attitude problems but sighing Dwight and looking at Smith?

essentially that. If you have problems with dwight/rondo pairing the dwight/smith pairing should be a bigger concern on a personality / locker room fit.

And i'm far from convinced rondo fits that Indiana team at all. Frankly, George Hill is a better fit as he can actually play off ball. Rondo basically becomes useless and a liability as son as the ball hits hibberts hands.

I'm no jameer nelson stan, but he would be better in both places than rondo, most likely.

Though i don't think any of Dwights old Orlando team mates are queuing up to play with him again.

OKC's demise is being greatly exaggerated.

You threw away your chance at Finals runs for years. Even tho MIA gave yall the pipe and would continue to do that, OKC's trio wouldve easily outlasted MIA's big three, cause theyre much younger.
Youll continue to be a upper tier seed in the West and maybe make the WCF, but its doubtful yall get out of the West anytime soon with Houston, Golden State, the Clippers and San Antonio.

I would probably lean to the Thunder if I had to pick a team to win the title in 2014 since the Heat and Spurs have physical/exhaustion issues, Dwight's back is still a question mark, the Clippers can't defend, and the Grizzlies still struggle offensively since they still have Prince. It's pretty close though and that's going on the assumption that Lamb is a good player.

I do dislike that Collison looked pretty old in the playoffs since he was the guy they could turn to at center who could provide them with really solid play...

jjasper

That's ridiculous. No chance to win anything with 2 guys like Durant and Westbrook, and a good supporting cast of role players?

You beat us with YNB hurt and all of a sudden our championship window is over. Just like GSW are suddenly a contender because they beat an overrated Nuggets team in one series?

You don't have a good supporting cast of role players. You have a terrible front court and you have no scoring off the bench outside I guess Reggie Jackson. If Lamb turns out ok your chances will improve though.

KD and YN will guarantee a good regular season but having Ibaka has your third best player is worrisome and your 4th best is who? OKC needs to make a move but I think their ownership is too cheap to take advantage of the talent they currently have.

If his healthy, why?

Cause Dirk needs a defensive C to protect the rim and set screens not hog the ball down low. and Drew probably won't be healthy.

pilonv1

Cause Dirk needs a defensive C to protect the rim and set screens not hog the ball down low. and Drew probably won't be healthy.

I'm not even that concerned on defense, it's the fact he has to get the ball in the post to be effective. Sure Dirk can operate in the high post but they don't compliment each other at all

the Orlando Sentinel is talkin that good shit right now, hahaha.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/dwight-howard/os-mike-bianchi-dwight-howard-0706-20130705,0,5224785.column

Lakers: Zip.

76ers: Zip.

Nuggets: Zip.

But the Magic ended up with a couple of nice, young building blocks in big man Nik Vucevic and Maurice Harkless, a consummate pro in Arron Afflalo and five future draft picks. And make no mistake about it, in today's NBA — with a much more punitive luxury tax included in the new collective-bargaining agreement — draft picks are ultra-important.

Young Magic GM Rob Hennigan, who many NBA insiders said got "fleeced" when he traded Dwight last year, now looks like the second coming of Jerry West. And Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak looks like the second coming of Jerry Lewis.

Kupchak obviously learned nothing from the Magic because he let Dwight make him and the Lakers look like a band of buffoons. Remember when Magic fans were begging and pleading for Dwight to stay in Central Florida and then watched helplessly as he turned the franchise into a dysfunctional mess?

Pitifully, the proud and storied Lakers suffered an even more embarrassing fate.

KingGondo

Banned
Even the best of your mediocre supporting cast left.
Martin is way overpaid and shit the bed more often than not last season. Lamb and Jackson should be able to pick up the slack of his scoring.
You don't have a good supporting cast of role players. You have a terrible front court and you have no scoring off the bench outside I guess Reggie Jackson. If Lamb turns out ok your chances will improve though.
Jackson is a very good backup PG, Thabo is still an elite perimeter defender (and now he has a 3-point shot) and guys like Collison, Liggins, Ibaka and even Fisher (assuming we re-sign him) know their role and do it well. You're right that our playoff performance will likely come down to how well Ibaka and Lamb develop.

KD and YN will guarantee a good regular season but having Ibaka has your third best player is worrisome and your 4th best is who? OKC needs to make a move but I think their ownership is too cheap to take advantage of the talent they currently have.
Who can we add for the MLE that will really make us that much better? We can go over the cap signing someone like Korver, or get a decent amount of his production for a fraction of the cost for a guy like Dorell Wright. The returns start to diminish with guys like that, especially when there aren't many shots to go around as it is with guys like KD and YNB dominating possessions.

Presti was basically betting with the Harden trade that the pieces we'd keep instead of him (Ibaka, Perk, Lamb, Jackson, Adams) would contribute more around two already perimeter oriented players (KD and YNB) than Harden would on his own. Not saying I agree, but as talented as those three guys are it would leave a huge hole in the middle, and no money to fill it with.

The biggest X factor is still clearly Ibaka. I need to see him consistently posting 15 and 10 next season to feel OK about his contract and future ability to contribute.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
KBergCBS
Though they won't rule out post-Howard trades, the Rockets are now open to keeping Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin, league source says.

keep jeremy!

KBergCBS
Though they won't rule out post-Howard trades, the Rockets are now open to keeping Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin, league source says.

keep jeremy!

Beverly
Harden
Parsons
Jones
Howard

Bench

Lin
Garcia
DMo
Asik

Lin would make a good sixth man and if the Ws can move Jefferson, Rush, etc. We can move Asik and Lin next summer in the big FA pool.

The Stealth Fox

This is a substantive and insightful post.

I think everyone's forgetting that the last guy to be my avatar went on to become a stud. Mock the Lamb of God at your own risk.

Yes, because I should have to post a well-developed argument when it's clear that you're depending on a person that's barely ever played to help pick up for any kind of bench scoring you've lost.

Top Bottom