• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Guess not. I just see a lot of that kind of shit on Clutchfans from people who appear to be dead serious.

I'm nothing like them. I can't stand clutchfans any longer. I created an account there in 1999 when it was the Clutchcity forums and it was a great place. I hardly post there cause it gets worse every year. It got so bad yesterday, I basically just stayed on GAF.

smiley-rolleyes008.gif

Dwight is the oldest guy on Houston's roster.

And?

Or just maybe Howard will grow up some. Who Knows? I'm gonna give him a chance.

This is salt though, which is not happening from Lakers fans here.

Lakers Nation ‏@LakersNation 38s

Jodie Meeks, who is now my favorite player, posted an Instagram pic of Dwight wearing makeup and WNBA jersey. http://bit.ly/11pWH91

He's 27 already and got humbled during the first Dwightmare and didn't learn anything.

Kobe Nash Metta, Jameer JJ Pau etc didn't like dude, I doubt there's a personality type he can gel with in the locker room. Hard asses, father figure vets, quiet humble, crazy, hard workers and so on. Only young fresh to the league guys are able to stand him for any stretch of time.

I have no idea why LA players care so much, this year was gonna be rough with or without Dwight. By the time we could contend with him he'd be too close to 30.

PBY

Banned
I'm nothing like them. I can't stand clutchfans any longer. I created an account there in 1999 when it was the Clutchcity forums and it was a great place. I hardly post there cause it gets worse every year. It got so bad yesterday, I basically just stayed on GAF.
Any team specific forum is a black hole. See- lakers ground, realcavsfans, etc.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
MorisUkunRasik...

life-goes-on-lebowski.gif

We already know he gets along with Parsons really well. At least we have one player lol The whole Rockets team is young lol it's perfect then.

peterb0y, true, but the early days of ClutchCity when the Rockets had great teams... The posters there were just different. It all changed when we got Yao/Tmac and obviously it's grown in size which upped the odds of it getting worse.

Emwitus

The pick n roll...How does it work?! That's what separates the elite playmakers from the rest...The lack of "floor spacing" doesn't matter to them, they get to the basket and convert, get fouled or create easy baskets. They're not going to be playing the Spurs, Grizzlies or Heat everynight. You're overthinking it.

And it doesn't surprise me that PI didn't know his own player dropped those type of numbers during the 2005 & 2006 seasons and Harden is capable of doing the same thing now with Dwight in the lineup. And he'll need to do it if they wanna get past OKC or San Antonio,

I can't believe people still think Dwight will thrive in the pick and roll.

Looking at it objectively, Lakers best move would be to trade Pau for depth, Amnesty Kobe, buy-out Nash and shamelessly tank...

However, circumstances just make than untenable.

- Clippers are so good and you'd be ceding fan interest.
- Kobe is probably the most beloved Laker ever and his fans would revolt
- Kobe would not sit out a year and rejoin them. He would join a contender as soon as he could play

Not even sure what they can do. Probably should have traded Dwight if they had an inkling of this during the year. Losing Dwight isn't a big deal but getting NOTHING for him is a disaster

What would the Lakers tank for though? Do they even have any picks worth tanking for?

Well if he's liked by young players then he went to the right place.

Being young seems necessary to tolerate him but it doesn't make it automatic.

EC6 JHill and Meeks weren't fans of his. Tho Clark probably soured on him during their time on the Magic.

Morris was the only guy who seemed to genuinely like him.

Zep

Banned
Last season outside the paint and within the 3 point line Harden is 33.6%, 76 of 226

He needs to work on his mid range game.

Wade last season was 38.8% 144 of 371

Bron was 43.4%% 175 of 403

Kobe was 42.5% 237 of 558

Ellis was 36.3% 181 of 498

Jennings was 39.5 130 of 329

Yea his mid-range does need work, as shown here, but his biggest issue is the amount of 3's he shoots. That needs to be cut to three attempts per game and then take those shots into the 3-9, 10-15ft range for a floater/jumpshot off a pick n roll. Also, that 5.7(at the rim) needs to be be in the high 6's, low 7's. Him learning to play closer will go a long way into getting that FG% way above 43%. Dwight is gonna be huge for his game as long as he doesn't settle on 3's.

The Stealth Fox

Dwight wasn't the only problem in LA folks. His personality was only like a third of the issue there.

Even when he's giving half effort, he'll still get you double digit points and rebounds and is a defensive impact and can finish around the rim. He's an improvement for Houston, no doubt.

Yea his mid-range does need work, as shown here, but his biggest issue is the amount of 3's he shoots. That needs to be cut to three attempts per game and then take those shots into the 3-9, 10-15ft range for a floater/jumpshot off a pick n roll. Also, that 5.7(at the rim) needs to be be in the high 6's, low 7's. Him learning to play closer will go a long way into getting that FG% way above 43%. Dwight is gonna be huge for his game as long as he doesn't settle on 3's.

That will all depend on McHale's offensive sets and ability to recognize his team's strengths and adjust. I wouldn't bet on it. In fact Harden may average the most 3s of his career next year, he'll probably have way more good looks at it now tho.

Yea his mid-range does need work, as shown here, but his biggest issue is the amount of 3's he shoots. That needs to be cut to three attempts per game and then take those shots into the 3-9, 10-15ft range for a floater/jumpshot off a pick n roll. Also, that 5.7(at the rim) needs to be be in the high 6's, low 7's. Goes a long way into getting that FG% way above 43%. Dwight is gonna be huge for his game as long as he doesn't settle on 3's.
I'd use stats.nba instead of hoopdata, they're a little behind and a little less accurate i think. I'd like to see Harden use his size a bit more. He's 6'5'' but he's got a big frame. He should have some turn around jumpers,floaters or something. The only thing in his repertoire is euro step to the rim or step back 3.

He does shoot too many threes and I don't see that really changing unfortunately with Dwight on the team now he might take even more.

Dwight wasn't the only problem in LA folks. His personality was only like a third of the issue there.

Even when he's giving half effort, he'll still get you double digit points and rebounds and is a defensive impact and can finish around the rim. He's an improvement for Houston, no doubt.

Duh, Orlando went to the finals with the lockerroom rolling their eyes at him.

Matrix

Of course. Magic-age were like that for years, neo-lakes adopted the mentality post-dwightmare I.

The more time that passes, the more I'm good with him gone.

Which is understandable. I'm trying to figure out though why outside of neo-lakes the level of salt for Howard is reaching levels that you would have thought Kobe turned his back on your team.

It's bad when players are even doing it. Even if you hate a guy, bringing it to instagram like a child. That's just sad.... but these are NBA players, I guess I shouldn't really expect any of them to act mature in this day and age.

I'm still living in the 90's lol

The Stealth Fox

I'd say the biggest thing for Houston's progress is that Harden needs to keep working on his game and Parsons needs to keep playing at a high level.

I'm worried that Parsons will regress sometime soon, and people are really counting on steady improvement from him every year if the Rockets are gonna be a contender

Forever

Banned
Which is understandable. I'm trying to figure out though why outside of neo-lakes the level of salt for Howard is reaching levels that you would have thought Kobe turned his back on your team.

It's bad when players are even doing it. Even if you hate a guy, bringing it to instagram like a child. That's just sad.... but these are NBA players, I guess I shouldn't really expect any of them to act mature in this day and age.

It's no mystery to me. They didn't like him when he was there, they like him less now that he's gone. And this is the first time in Lakers history that a star FA didn't re-sign.

He was accused of phoning in last season. He was coming off back surgery so I didn't hold it against him but he literally had his best games after people questioned his dedication. And rumors of him not caring last season rubbed folks the wrong way.

LA was mad at Shaq for being lazy despite winning chips. Fans out here can sometimes expect too much, but in both cases it's hard to say they're wrong.

Smokey

Guys, guys!!

Morey really did have a plan all along!

kq1Cltn.jpg

Ya'll should be ashamed of yourselves for ever doubting him!

o_o been a long road ;_;

Also from ESPN article:

ESPN said:
Morey has spearheaded the movement of NBA executives throughout the league in finding value in players not by just looking at their averages or their body size or their vertical leap, but by breaking down their shooting percentages from different spots on the court, their effectiveness when playing with certain lineups, their ability to play multiple positions.

Morey is so out in front of the movement, he hosts an analytics conference every year to foster and grow this way of thinking. All but one of the NBA's 30 teams attended last season's conference. The absentee team? The Lakers.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...ts-all-houston-rockets-not-los-angeles-lakers

Didn't know dude was giving seminars on analytics..

Smokey

How can one so deep into analytics, have someone with a coaching style like McHales...

McHale has no offense. Morey's philosophy is 3's and buckets in the paint. A more veteran head coach might not give into Morey's thinking, but like I said since McHale doesn't have an offense anyway...And he is a "cheap" HC.

SamuraiX-

The 6-foot-6 Evans could be used off the bench with New Orleans behind All-Star Jrue Holiday and Eric Gordon.

But he's ready to embrace any role with the Pelicans.

"I'm about winning," Evans said. "I'd love to start, but if that's what it takes – for me to come off the bench to help the team, come in the game and be that energy guy on the floor, kind of like the Spurs do (with Manu Ginobili) – I have no problem with that."

lol sure, Reke, sure

The Stealth Fox

McHale has no offense. Morey's philosophy is 3's and buckets in the paint. A more veteran head coach might not give into Morey's thinking, but like I said since McHale doesn't have an offense anyway...And he is a "cheap" HC.

The main reason we hired McHale was because he's a cheap replacement.

BRING BACK ADELMAN!

rockets keeping garcia it seems like

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 3m
Rockets to re-sign their free agent guard Francisco Garcia to a two-year deal paying $2.6 million, a source tell Y! Sports.

Top Bottom