• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

Vire

Excuse me NBA Gaf, I'm clueless when it comes to the inner workings of how players are traded and how it works since I'm a college basketball fan and I never follow pro basketball at at.

Here's my question, Why didn't Dwight Howard consider the Heat and vice versa?
I'm pretty sure the Heat would dominate the league if Howard goes there.

There's a thing called the salary cap.

Heat simply can't afford him, (they are already over the limit and are being penalized monetarily).

Trust me, it's a good thing that these rules are in place. The only way Howard could come to the Heat is if he decided to take 2 million instead of 50. :lol

EDIT: Beat. :(

Smith signing is odd. I guess its cool from a depth perspective since mathematically you can get all three of their core bigs 30 minutes a game, but then you realize you probably can't have a unit of Smith/Drummond on the court at any point and you wonder what the point of it all was.

Funny thing is if anyone was to be moved it would be Monroe since he's probably going to ask for max but he's probably the only guy who can play with either of the others.

I guess they can just ride with it since Drummond will be on a rook contract for a few more years but eh..

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
WojYahooNBA
Portland has reached agreement with free agent Earl Watson, his agent, Mark Bartelstein, says. Watson's deal with the Blazers is one year, for the vet minimum, source says.

Better than Ronnie Price I guess.

giri

Excuse me NBA Gaf, I'm clueless when it comes to the inner workings of how players are traded and how it works since I'm a college basketball fan and I never follow pro basketball at all.

Here's my question, Why didn't Dwight Howard consider the Heat and vice versa?
I'm pretty sure the Heat would dominate the league if Howard goes there.

There is a minimum amount of players a team has to have on the roster, and between wade/LBJ/Bosh they take up ~45M+ of salary. The cap will be around 56M? And the only way to really go over the cap is to sign existing players, the new CBA basically makes it impossible to take on salary in trades when you are already over the cap (which the Heat currently are).

There was no way they could have got Dwight unless they traded away one of LBJ/Wade/Bosh.

Which isn't really worth it. Not for the risk. Not when he wouldn't help with spacing at all.

Vire

I like the Clipper's moves this off season.

Collison and Redick are both very solid/good players, plus Doc is a way better coach than Vinny.

Gotta wonder how many wins these moves are all worth given the team won 56 games last year and the improvements seem pretty massive. The team doesn't seem 60 wins good to me but you've gotta think it has to be..

B.O.O.M

So where is Houston going to move Asik? Him and Dwight could be fearsome for stretches defensively, but not for the better part of games. Asik rides the bench making 20m/2yrs. After Josh Smith, what PF options do they have? A play at LMA? (feel like Portland's drowning out the LMA wanting to leave talk though honestly)

I wouldn't take the reports on LMA wanting to leave too seriously. He even said on his twitter that he is not leaving

I wonder what's going with JJ Hickson tho

SamuraiX-

Clips needed a decent backup PG to replace what they lost in Bledsoe... and they respond by signing one of the best point guards in the league using part of their MLE.....

Clips look stupid-scary good this season.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How is Joe Dumars still the Pistons GM?

I'm a lurker in NBA-Gaf but I have to answer this question.

Everything he does is praised by Pistons fans and it drives me nuts. He's a HORRIBLE general manager. He drove the team into the ground with idiotic draft picks and trades. Yet, because he's a beloved former Piston, idiot fans defend everything he does as if it was the perfect move. To most Detroit fans I've talked with, it's always the coach's fault. Always. Has nothing to do with the GM who has spent years providing these coaches with a crap lineup, mismatched pieces for them to somehow hammer a team out of. It's pointless.

And then he signs Smith today. Ugh. Detroit must be the best place in the world to be a GM. Matt Millen inexplicably got 8 years. Dumars gets the same free passes. I don't get it.

Sorry, back to lurking.

dalVlatko

For a backup, I'd take Collison at 2 years over Jarret Jack at 4 years everyday of the week. GJ Cavs.
Jack's fourth year is a team option and Collison wouldn't come to Cleveland for the same price as he's going to LA

Small markets have to overpay for free agents. This isn't new.

2010 said:
The Cavs had offered Barnes a two-year deal worth $7 million to become the starting small forward. But he took a two-year offer from the Lakers for $4 million.

Collison is a great pickup. Not sure what room they have left between cap space and exceptions, but the only thing they need now is a backup big, especially if they can shoot clutch FTs.

Clipjoint

Everything he does is praised by Pistons fans and it drives me nuts. He's a HORRIBLE general manager. He drove the team into the ground with idiotic draft picks and trades. Yet, because he's a beloved former Piston, idiot fans defend everything he does as if it was the perfect move. To most Detroit fans I've talked with, it's always the coach's fault. Always. Has nothing to do with the GM who has spent years providing these coaches with a crap lineup, mismatched pieces for them to somehow hammer a team out of. It's pointless.

And then he signs Smith today. Ugh. Detroit must be the best place in the world to be a GM. Matt Millen inexplicably got 8 years. Dumars gets the same free passes. I don't get it.

Sorry, back to lurking.

You have the Lions logo as your avatar, it's not surprising you don't know anything about winning.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You have the Lions logo as your avatar, it's not surprising you don't know anything about winning.
Plinko said:
Yet, because he's a beloved former Piston, idiot fans defend everything he does as if it was the perfect move.
Exhibit A, ladies and gentlemen.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

What he said is true though, Dumars is a shitty GM. What was the purpose for the personal attack?

giri

Sorry, back to lurking.

Perfectly fine post.

No need to lurk.

I thought it was accepted as fact that Dumars is an awful GM.

Dude lucked into a chip thanks to KoMe. and he hasn't done anything worth while since.

Darko
That Charlie V Contract
Ben Gordon's contract too.

Jeff-DSA

Portland taking more Jazz leftovers. I'm going to put a padlock on my fridge after Thanksgiving and putting surveillance on reilo.

giri

I thought it was accepted as fact that Dumars is an awful GM.

Dude lucked into a chip thanks to KoMe. and he hasn't done anything worth while since.

Darko
That Charlie V Contract
Ben Gordon's contract too.

Yeah, but we thought the same thing about Brian Collangelo and he got paid a lot more than any of us to be terrible.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Clippers are outrageously loaded.

All that new talent plus no Vinny to hold them back?

Kobe is gonna be saltier than that dude from Californication

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Clippers are outrageously loaded.

All that new talent plus no Vinny to hold them back?

Kobe is gonna be saltier than that dude from Californication

Who's gonna be saltier this season?

Knicks-age or Clippers-age?

Wellscha

Because he would have to take like $2 million a year instead of $20 million. NBA has a salary cap and LeBron, Bosh and Wade take up all of Miami's.

Basketball has a salary cap in place.

Its a good thing too because super teams would be pretty crazy without it.

There's a thing called the salary cap.

Heat simply can't afford him, (they are already over the limit and are being penalized monetarily).

Trust me, it's a good thing that these rules are in place. The only way Howard could come to the Heat is if he decided to take 2 million instead of 50. :lol

EDIT: Beat. :(

There is a minimum amount of players a team has to have on the roster, and between wade/LBJ/Bosh they take up ~45M+ of salary. The cap will be around 56M? And the only way to really go over the cap is to sign existing players, the new CBA basically makes it impossible to take on salary in trades when you are already over the cap (which the Heat currently are).

There was no way they could have got Dwight unless they traded away one of LBJ/Wade/Bosh.

Which isn't really worth it. Not for the risk. Not when he wouldn't help with spacing at all.

Got it, Thanks.

Top Bottom